SWAC Head Football Coaches Salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day, look at the SWAC pay scale, and then look at SWAC championships, that should tell you something.

staggalee83 said:
Yep ......................but MASON made it clear early that we was not going to pay PETE's money. This was the first time in AGES we have had to get a coach from the OUTSIDE.:)

We just brought our coaching pay-scale in line with the times, (including assistants), without straining our budget. It was reported in the CLARIONLEDGER/WJTV12, the school is only paying around $120,000 in SCHOOL MONEY from the atheletic budget. The rest that makes out Comegy's $155,000 comes from the special BOOSTERS fund.

There are different way's of doing things..........................we just did it the right way.:emlaugh:

stagg you can twist it any witchaway you like, the bottomline is this is another example of what happens when you don't heed old blues warning. :emlaugh:

staggalee83 said:
Yep ......................but MASON made it clear early that we was not going to pay PETE's money. This was the first time in AGES we have had to get a coach from the OUTSIDE.:)

We just brought our coaching pay-scale in line with the times, (including assistants), without straining our budget. It was reported in the CLARIONLEDGER/WJTV12, the school is only paying around $120,000 in SCHOOL MONEY from the atheletic budget. The rest that makes out Comegy's $155,000 comes from the special BOOSTERS fund.

There are different way's of doing things..........................we just did it the right way.:emlaugh:

The difference is that Southern U can afford what they pay and, JSU has to budget deep in the pocket book.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
Dude if a High School football coach makes $75K...that county needs their ARSE whooped....

Mountain Brook High School in Alabama pay their head football coach more than $75K & he is the head custodian at the school. He is not even certified to teach.

bluedog said:
stagg you can twist it any witchaway you like, the bottomline is this is another example of what happens when you don't heed old blues warning. :emlaugh:

Man...........who's twisting what? Warning about what?

DUDE..........................Try to understand that SU is just a speck on the world. Everything that is done is NOT done with ya'll in mind.

If that was the case, we would have busted our budget trying to keep up with OLE MISS like ya'll try to keep up with LSU.

CATMENDUE2 said:
The difference is that Southern U can afford what they pay and, JSU has to budget deep in the pocket book.

The difference is ............since ya'll don't get it ......................WE DON'T CARE WHAT SU PAY'S. We was not going to match it.........period.

Budgeting keeps you out the RED. But putting $10,00 rims on a busted car is the mentality of ya'll just to say you can afford it.:lmao:

If pay was the difference, then P. View would have more than 1 damm win over us in the last 40 years.:goof:
Some of ya'll just be talking out your arses just to be talking.:retard:

staggalee83 said:
The difference is ............since ya'll don't get it ......................WE DON'T CARE WHAT SU PAY'S. We was not going to match it.........period.

Budgeting keeps you out the RED. But putting $10,00 rims on a busted car is the mentality of ya'll just to say you can afford it.:lmao:

If pay was the difference, then P. View would have more than 1 damm win over us in the last 40 years.:goof:
Some of ya'll just be talking out your arses just to be talking.:retard:

Frat SU takes in more revenue than JSU so that's why we can pay the salary. All our coaches make good money compared to other SWAC coaches. I don't think folks were saying JSU is trying to keep up with SU. But Pete and Spears contracts have raised the bar in the SWAC. So sure, when you go outside your JSU alums who want that job, of course you will have to pay. And with a coach with Comegy or Cole's background, you will pay 6 figures.

You post like SU just gave Pete 200 grand on his first deal. This is a thanks for all you done contract and I don't expect the next SU coach to make 200k. But at least I know we can go after a top coach or assistant and have their attention with the salary we can pay. I imagine the next coach will make around 160-170 just because we aint messing around with no coach who can't come in and take the program even higher than Pete has. So as BD said. The Pete Richardson effect is on. No good coach will take 85K to coach at our schools anymore unless they are very young and desperate to be a head coach.

I don't even know why Mason even made that comment that we aint paying what SU is. We knew that. He can't do that, nor should he with a brand new coach. Pete been there since 93 and has paid his dues for his salary. I am sure folks on here say he or no coach is worth it. But considering where our program has been during his tenure, I can say he did his job. Again make no mistake about it, SWAC schools including yours will have to pay to play from now on. Aint no coach ever going to take what Bell or Hughes got paid to coach JSU again unless it is a inexperienced coach like DJ Jones or maybe McKenzie may have. All others will say hell to the naw......(thanks Whitney):lmao:

JR said:
Frat SU takes in more revenue than JSU so that's why we can pay the salary. All our coaches make good money compared to other SWAC coaches. I don't think folks were saying JSU is trying to keep up with SU. But Pete and Spears contracts have raised the bar in the SWAC. So sure, when you go outside your JSU alums who want that job, of course you will have to pay. And with a coach with Comegy or Cole's background, you will pay 6 figures.

You post like SU just gave Pete 200 grand on his first deal. This is a thanks for all you done contract and I don't expect the next SU coach to make 200k. But at least I know we can go after a top coach or assistant and have their attention with the salary we can pay. I imagine the next coach will make around 160-170 just because we aint messing around with no coach who can't come in and take the program even higher than Pete has. So as BD said. The Pete Richardson effect is on. No good coach will take 85K to coach at our schools anymore unless they are very young and desperate to be a head coach.

I don't even know why Mason even made that comment that we aint paying what SU is. We knew that. He can't do that, nor should he with a brand new coach. Pete been there since 93 and has paid his dues for his salary. I am sure folks on here say he or no coach is worth it. But considering where our program has been during his tenure, I can say he did his job. Again make no mistake about it, SWAC schools including yours will have to pay to play from now on. Aint no coach ever going to take what Bell or Hughes got paid to coach JSU again unless it is a inexperienced coach like DJ Jones or maybe McKenzie may have. All others will say hell to the naw......(thanks Whitney):lmao:

So SU take in in more revenue? Ya'll got more red bones walking ya'll's campus too.:xeye:

What in the heck do that has to do with us?:shame:

OK ......................Ya'll want the credit ...................OK.:shame:

But didn't I say we just brought our pay scale UP TO DATE in an earlier post.:shame:

SU posters are in a rush to take credit for everything from the invention of football to paying coaches 6 figures, some of your fellow posters really don't READ what people are saying. :shame:

I see all of this talk about salary of head coaches, but the question should be what do the assistant coaches earn?

Which is the OTHER part of the equation.

The details are not out yet, but that has to be considered too. It was not about just getting COMEGY. It was about getting him and the people he need around him to make it go.

But, what do non-JSU'ers know.:shame:
These are some of the same people that said we would not get him if we didn't make him the AD too.:shame:

staggalee83 said:
SU posters are in a rush to take credit for everything from the invention of football to paying coaches 6 figures, some of your fellow posters really don't READ what people are saying. :shame:
That's what I'm hearing to Stag. They want to beat their chest like King Kong and tell everyone that they set some "mark" that has been set long before. I say, let's just wait until the next 2 seasons to see who's investment pays off.

staggalee83 said:
But, what do non-JSU'ers know.:shame:
These are some of the same people that said we would not get him if we didn't make him the AD too.:shame:
:lol: So true. And now some of them are pissin mad that we have him. And you can tell it by the hate in their posts. :lol:

JSU's salary had NOTHING to do with Pete's salary, and everything to do with what Comegy was making at Tuskegee. Hell, Comegy was making $140K. If we wanted him we had to entice him to leave that $140K salary. If L. C. got the job, we would still be #8 in salary, because we wouldn't have had to pay him that much. He ain't making jack now.

If we had given Comegy $200K, then I'd say the Pete Richardson effect is in effect.

staggalee83 said:
So SU take in in more revenue? Ya'll got more red bones walking ya'll's campus too.:xeye:

What in the heck do that has to do with us?:shame:

OK ......................Ya'll want the credit ...................OK.:shame:

But didn't I say we just brought our pay scale UP TO DATE in an earlier post.:shame:

It is not taking credit. It is what is going on. Say Pete was making 100k and Spears 95K. I don't think PV would be paying Frazier over a 100K or AAMU paying Jones over 100K. If you don't think all these coaches talk to each other about money, then you are kidding yourselves. I keep hearing Cole would have took anything. He may not have commanded Comegy money. But Cole aint no fool. He aint going to take pennies just because he had some issues in the past. LC also knows somebody is going to give him a chance. Who knows maybe he'll be SU's next coach....LOL. But see again we are talking about a desperate coach for whatever reason. Good coaches with no baggage aint having it. So lump LC into that category as semi desperate.

All I am saying no matter whether it was SU or Gram or AAMU. Once the top coaches in the league salaries go up. Others take notice. Sure you had to pay Comegy more than he made at TU. I understand that. What folks are saying, aint no way yall could continue to pay 85 K. How does that look when PV coach makes more than JSU's. You know that aint right. Trust me I understand how it happened and I aint mad at JSU for that. But that JSU football job is a pressure cooker with high expectations and should have been a higher paying job whether you promoted from within or not. Also when I said SU takes in more revenue. I meant we have more students and of course we clear more money. No different than LSU takes in more than Ole Miss or Ms State. I don't why Beans and some of yall think we are beating our chests about it. Just understand the game has changed. Alcorn gone find out soon too. When they go look for a coach after Dr. Johnny. Any experienced coach with a good resume and has won will not settle for that kind of money.

Robber said:
JSU's salary had NOTHING to do with Pete's salary, and everything to do with what Comegy was making at Tuskegee. Hell, Comegy was making $140K. If we wanted him we had to entice him to leave that $140K salary. If L. C. got the job, we would still be #8 in salary, because we wouldn't have had to pay him that much. He ain't making jack now.

If we had given Comegy $200K, then I'd say the Pete Richardson effect is in effect.
And Bingo was his name, yo!

Robber said:

I understand that Robber. But JSU finally realized they had to go for a coach with a resume of wins and not potential. So you paid for it. If Pete and Spears made considerably less than Comegy did at TU. I wonder how quick JSU would have been to pull the trigger and made Comegy the highest paid coach in the SWAC.

I tell you this. Watch how Spears tries to renew his deal now that an unproven(his view will be) SWAC coach in Comegy comes in and makes more than him at Grambling. All our coaches want to be paid in full. The playing field on salaries in the SWAC never will be that low again. Whether you credit Pete or not. I bet there is some 1AA coach right now saying I need more money and look what they are paying those non going to the playoff coaches in the SWAC. You best believe them white boy coaches are watching too. Soon you will see higher salaries at the 1AA powers. It's coming.

I bet those PWCs don't generate the monies in which we do on the football end. Not donations but actual revenues from the season. So, their salaries would have to be supplemented thru the boaster clubs. Grambling was supplementing salaries for Doug that way until the ULS Board created the rule that employees must be paid entirely from the Universities in which they work. It's handled differently now to say the least.

JR said:
I understand that Robber. But JSU finally realized they had to go for a coach with a resume of wins and not potential. So you paid for it. If Pete and Spears made considerably less than Comegy did at TU. I wonder how quick JSU would have been to pull the trigger and made Comegy the highest paid coach in the SWAC.

I tell you this. Watch how Spears tries to renew his deal now that an unproven(his view will be) SWAC coach in Comegy comes in and makes more than him at Grambling. All our coaches want to be paid in full. The playing field on salaries in the SWAC never will be that low again. Whether you credit Pete or not. I bet there is some 1AA coach right now saying I need more money and look what they are paying those non going to the playoff coaches in the SWAC. You best believe them white boy coaches are watching too. Soon you will see higher salaries at the 1AA powers. It's coming.
Now, I see the point about PWC coaches wanting more because of Pete. I'd be kicking and screaming, too, if I were them. But understand, the school (JSU) wasn't willing to shell out that kinda money on a football coach. That's why the Tiger Fund is supplementing. I personally told President Mason he'd be a fool to pay more than $125K for a coach.

GRAM4LIFE said:
I bet those PWCs don't generate the monies in which we do on the football end. Not donations but actual revenues from the season. So, their salaries would have to be supplemented thru the boaster clubs. Grambling was supplementing salaries for Doug that way until the ULS Board created the rule that employees must be paid entirely from the Universities in which they work. It's handled differently now to say the least.

But some of those power house PWC 1AA programs do have some boosters and they can pay the salaries if they have too. Right now none of their coaches are probably demanding it. But how long is that going to last when they see how much our coaches make. They have the means. Look at the facilities some of them have. Not all of them but certain ones. So I see some of their coaches getting some significant salary increases in years to come.

GRAM4LIFE said:
I don't see this as a credible explanation for our coach's salaries. If we paid our coaches $60K, we'd still go to the games. And it doesn't make business sense to pay more than the going rate for coaches. To be honest, I'm surprised the white coaches at these PWC I-AA powers ain't trying to coach at our schools, considering the substantial increase in pay they'd get.

What I was saying is that obviously our boaster clubs have not been the reason in the past for the capability of paying high salaries to our coaches. Our revenues that the Classic's and home attendances have been bringing in are, which our PWC counterparts do not have for the most part. The only way that they could increase their coaches salaries to our level is thru boaster clubs and private donations with a couple of exceptions.

Note: Georgia Southern just paid their new Coach $200,000 not including incentives. Numbers going up...

SAME OLD G said:
I see all of this talk about salary of head coaches, but the question should be what do the assistant coaches earn?

COSIGN!!!!!!!

We paying the hc so much we cannot get good coaches such as sp. teams and vital position coaches. We have to settle for GA's who are unpaid and not guaranteed to stay on.

I still feel like some others that if we are paying these salaries i expect us to start beating these 1aa's sicne these coaches are making more than alot of these pwc's schools !!!!!!!!

GRAM4LIFE said:
Note: Georgia Southern just paid their new Coach $200,000 not including incentives. Numbers going up...

"One of these days they are going to learn how to listen to ole bluedog!" :lol:

:lmao:

STC_60 said:
COSIGN!!!!!!!

We paying the hc so much we cannot get good coaches such as sp. teams and vital position coaches. We have to settle for GA's who are unpaid and not guaranteed to stay on.

I still feel like some others that if we are paying these salaries i expect us to start beating these 1aa's sicne these coaches are making more than alot of these pwc's schools !!!!!!!!
Comegy's holdup in signing was negotiating better salaries for his assistants. His coordinators will make almost as much as Bell did, other assistants will do better than our old coordinators used to make. Everybody's salary is up at JSU.

Man y'all can spin it any way you like but comanche was making 140k for two jobs not one. You can sum it up as him making 70k a piece or 85k for one and 55k for the other, but the bottomline is JSU isn't paying him for what he was making for his coaching position because he wasn't commanding six figure for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back