SWAC Head Football Coaches Salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBone2 said:
http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051129/SPORTS030101/511290344/1025

Southern University Pete Richardson $200,000
Grambling State Melvin Spears $150,000
Prairie View Henry Frazier $125,000 :lol: :lol: what
Arkansas-Pine Bluff Mo Forte $118,000
Alabama State Charles Coe $115,000
Alabama A&M Anthony Jones $107,000
Texas Southern Steve Wilson $105,000
Jackson State Vacant $85,000
Mississippi Valley State Willie Totten $85,000
Alcorn State Johnny Thomas $75,000

huuuuummmmmm!!!!

bighusky00 said:
Dude here in Alabama some coaches at the 6A level make 80+ but its not all from the school boards, some of it is from boosters. An article last year showed it. Like the highes tpaid was the coach at Daphne and he was making like 91,000.

Propst(head coach) at Hoover High Bham,AL base $86,000 + or - the booster club makes up the additional $114,000.00.

Storm96 said:
they're not hearing you....

:tup:

Oh, I'mma make sure they hear <b>us</b> because we don't need to be spreading falsies out in cyber-land regarding who'll be the last man standing. lol And no, we don't use state $$$$ for athletics.

<font color=red><b><u>PUF</u></b></font> send help!!! :rolleyes:

Da Hill,
There are individual school ADs in Huntsville, even at the Middle School level. You would just be surprised who are filling those positions. It could be the Principal, Asst Principal, Coach, etc. It is because most who are filling these position don't get paid extra or rather keep the other job title.

Tigerpride said:
Is there any way to find the salaries at other 1-AA schools.

I recall that when Tressel was hired at Ohio State, he was only making 75K at Youngstown State and back then Youngstown was no joke!!
The coaches at McNeese, Northwestern, and Southeastern makes $75,000.

Tigerpride said:
....and I think it is that way across the board. Only in the SWAC do you get paid 100K to beat MS Valley.
You need to chill with that self hatred B.S. . Man I swear, I am so glad I went to Southern University. They taught me better. :lol:

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
You need to chill with that self hatred B.S. . Man I swear, I am so glad I went to Southern University. They taught me better. :lol:
co-sign.

They also taught us better at PV. If it is money out there to be made, then let us make it..............

SUjagTILLiDIE said:

I think that is one of the many things that differentiate us "from the rest." :lol:

Tigerpride said:
....and I think it is that way across the board. Only in the SWAC do you get paid 100K to beat MS Valley.
Some of them didn't even do that.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
Dude if a High School football coach makes $75K...that county needs their ARSE whooped....
The AJC ran an article about four years ago titled "Coaching Football in Georgia can be lucrative". I searched through several coaches thinking it was only the 4 and 5A coaches making the big dollars. A successful 1A coache was also in the high $70k range.
I also know that Valdosta's coach made over $80k annually and was given a Dodge truck!

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
The coaches at McNeese, Northwestern, and Southeastern makes $75,000.

Actually Dennis Roland at Southeastern Louisiana makes a base salary of $85,000. I think McNeese and Northwestern are in the same ballpark.

TBone2 said:
http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051129/SPORTS030101/511290344/1025

Southern University Pete Richardson $200,000
Grambling State Melvin Spears $150,000
Prairie View Henry Frazier $125,000
Arkansas-Pine Bluff Mo Forte $118,000
Alabama State Charles Coe $115,000
Alabama A&M Anthony Jones $107,000
Texas Southern Steve Wilson $105,000
Jackson State Vacant $85,000
Mississippi Valley State Willie Totten $85,000
Alcorn State Johnny Thomas $75,000

http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051210/NEWS/512100354/1263

December 10, 2005

Price tag $155,000, but 'we've got him'

Rick Comegy signs four-year contract with Jackson State; new athletic director sought

By Michael Wallace
mwallace@clarionledger.com

Barbara Gauntt/The Clarion-Ledger

Newly named Jackson State University head football coach Rick Comegy is greeted by supporters following a news conference Friday.

Jackson State University ushered in a new era of football on Friday, introducing former Tuskegee coach Rick Comegy as the top Tiger.

Comegy, 52, agreed to a four-year contract with a base salary of $155,000 a year, making him the highest-paid coach in JSU history. It also is one of the top three salaries in the Southwestern Athletic Conference, and is nearly double what JSU paid former coach James Bell.
"We did what we had to do to get the coach we had to have," JSU President Ronald Mason Jr. said Friday at a campus news conference attended by nearly 200 administrators, alumni, players and fans.

JSU had to seek alternative funding to close the deal with Comegy, who reportedly earned about $140,000 a year as coach and athletic director at Tuskegee. About $103,000 of Comegy's annual JSU salary will be paid out of the school's athletic department budget, Mason said. The additional $52,000 a year will come from JSU's private Tiger Fund, which subsidizes some athletics projects.

Hot damn! Look a here.

$155,000? Hadn't won a game at JSU and already drawing down big bread.

One of you JSU clowns need to step up and explain this. Well, he got a $100,000 for beating Alabama State, not Valley.

Hot damn! Look a here.

So, it must be true that you get paid for what you did in past, not for what's expected in the future.

If this clown gets $155K with one SWAC victory a year, then Pete should get $620K for his 4.

Nick Saban send help.

Diesel said:
Hot damn! Look a here.

One of you JSU clowns need to step up and explain this. Well, he got a $100,000 for beating Alabama State, not Valley.

Hot damn! Look a here.

So, it must be true that you get paid for what you did in past, not for what's expected in the future.

If this clown gets $155K with one SWAC victory a year, then Pete should get $620K for his 4.

Nick Saban send help.
Let's not go overboard. Comegy is the only coach that could get that kinda salary. L. C. Coles woulda gotten the $103K and that's it. I woulda offered L. C. $90K and he probably woulda taken it, because it woulda been a pay increase from what he's making now. But, Comegy had the bargaining position to command that salary. He's a proven winner and he was making $140K. If we wanted him, we had to make it worth his while to leave.

But TP's point is, and has been, we are paying our coaches to do nothing but beat each other. Other schools are paying much less, and getting better results on the field, while we are paying much more for an inferior product. And it is inferior. We line up against a decent out of conference team and get our heads beat in. HBCU or PWC.

And please save the attendance argument. We could pay our coaches lower salaries and the fans are still gonna come. Until Bell came, JSU never had serious attendance problems with that $85K salary.

Our salary mentality with these coaches are much like those of the people we talk about who put $10K rims on a $2K car. The ones who ride in an S500, but live in an apartment. Name brand clothes to the hilt, but can't feed the kids. Ghetto fabolous.

It's ok to pay more, but we need to expect more with those increased salaries. Seriously, if you can't beat a coach that's only making $75K, then why am I paying you that money and not him??? Think about it. (thanks ntelekt)

JSU had to seek alternative funding to close the deal with Comegy, who reportedly earned about $140,000 a year as coach and athletic director at Tuskegee. About $103,000 of Comegy's annual JSU salary will be paid out of the school's athletic department budget, Mason said. The additional $52,000 a year will come from JSU's private Tiger Fund, which subsidizes some athletics projects.

This says a great deal and to my knowledge is something that yet to be done or at least regularly accepted by our HBCU athletic programs and HBCU presidents.

Robert Cook, chairman of JSU's Tiger Fund, said he believes Comegy will be worth the money.

"I'm a firm believer that you pay for what you get," Cook said. "We're very supportive of the administration's decision with the handling of coach Comegy's contract. We were very much in favor of getting the best coach we could. We got him."

Solid!!!

Diesel said:
Hot damn! Look a here.

Hot damn! Look a here.

Nick Saban send help.

Now it starts.

YOU CLOWN's have always talked trash about what we could or could not afford.

Now that have went out, recruited, then GOT OUR COACH and got the assistant's paid..............here comes the REVERSE SPIN NUTTS.:smh:

This is beyond sad...................:smh:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao:

THE PETE RICHARDSON EFFECT STRIKES AGAIN!!!!

bluedog said:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao:

THE PETE RICHARDSON EFFECT STRIKES AGAIN!!!!

LOL. So true. Pete contract has changed the game in the SWAC. Even PV pays Frazier a nice salary. The good thing is that our jobs in the conference are attractive with the salaries being that. Now maybe we will see more and more good coaches come to the SWAC as there are changes. When Pete contract is up in 2 years it has put SU in a good position. Coaches will want that job. Which keeps us in the mix for a good coach. Now the same can be said for other SWAC schools who are stepping up to the plate and spending some money for a decent coach. No longer should any 1AA coach make under 95 K in my mind. This aint the old days. Got to pay to play now.

Jackson St will probably have the same problem, but I see their program going in the right direction! :nod:

JR said:
LOL. So true. Pete contract has changed the game in the SWAC. Even PV pays Frazier a nice salary. The good thing is that our jobs in the conference are attractive with the salaries being that. Now maybe we will see more and more good coaches come to the SWAC as there are changes. When Pete contract is up in 2 years it has put SU in a good position. Coaches will want that job. Which keeps us in the mix for a good coach. Now the same can be said for other SWAC schools who are stepping up to the plate and spending some money for a decent coach. No longer should any 1AA coach make under 95 K in my mind. This aint the old days. Got to pay to play now.

Yep ......................but MASON made it clear early that we was not going to pay PETE's money. This was the first time in AGES we have had to get a coach from the OUTSIDE.:)

We just brought our coaching pay-scale in line with the times, (including assistants), without straining our budget. It was reported in the CLARIONLEDGER/WJTV12, the school is only paying around $120,000 in SCHOOL MONEY from the atheletic budget. The rest that makes out Comegy's $155,000 comes from the special BOOSTERS fund.

There are different way's of doing things..........................we just did it the right way.:emlaugh:

staggalee83 said:
Yep ......................but MASON made it clear early that we was not going to pay PETE's money. This was the first time in AGES we have had to get a coach from the OUTSIDE.:)

We just brought our coaching pay-scale in line with the times, (including assistants), without straining our budget. It was reported in the CLARIONLEDGER/WJTV12, the school is only paying around $120,000 in SCHOOL MONEY from the atheletic budget. The rest that makes out Comegy's $155,000 comes from the special BOOSTERS fund.

Their are different way of doing things..........................we just did it the right way.:emlaugh:

83, I totally agree. Booster clubs and alumni groups have to step up. That's how it's done at D-1 schools and even top tier high schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back