SWAC going FBS? (SCSU nor TSU never got invites to the SWAC but BCU did)

This is a only a dream without a chance in hell of members moving up to FBS. GUYS....HBCUs are fighting for their continued existence. Budget cuts are on the way. We will be cutting athletic programs and staff to survive.

The problems will be acute in fall 2021 if the coronavirus stays around and causes students to take online classes at home instead of coming to campus this fall. Less students means less need for faculty and staff. The schools will miss out on revenue for dorm rooms, dining, all types of fees, athletic revenues and various other revenue. Yet the interest and principal payments on those dorms, dining facilities, athletic facilities and various academic buildings will still be due. Needless to say, there will be an imbalance between revenue and costs/ debt obligations. Something will have to give. The payment from the CARES act each school got earlier this year and the second payment HBCU's are schedule to receive may be sufficient to get through the upcoming year, or at least reduce losses, but the schools will be woefully hurt if the pandemic goes over to 2021 and no additional money from the feds is made available.

Reactions: J C

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It's interesting to see so many from Alabama State University being pessimistic about this move, when their school tried to make the move by themselves a few years back. They have a much better chance of moving up as a conference. Like I stated in another post above, they have options is they don't agree to the Commissioner's vision.

Last edited:
I see that garbage sometimes. That mentality, It’s hustlin backwards like a mugg.
If we all D-2, then we’d complain about not getting media attention and potential to make money like even a Group of Five does.
Now is the time to start building up for a conference wide move up. Those who can, proceed with the plan. Those who can’t, stay in FCS or drop down.

Or wait for some major crisis for a Power 5 school to say they'll play a HBCU on MLK Day at the HBCU.

Let me put it like this

Valley (for example) can take $240K and get beat down by NDSU and it disappears like a puddle in the summer once it has to go to every other sport AND academics

or Valley can play 2 FBS schools and get $1.2 million (especially a SEC team like Auburn).

That's how recent call ups like App State built their coffers and now they are a top 25 program

But as I said previously, you HAVE to have leadership that understands that if your football program makes $1.2 million, you can't have half of that go to academics and other programs.

Therein lies the problem, the academic side of our institutions would get decimated in the process of trying to move up.

The problems will be acute in fall 2021 if the coronavirus stays around and causes students to take online classes at home instead of coming to campus this fall. Less students means less need for faculty and staff. The schools will miss out on revenue for dorm rooms, dining, all types of fees, athletic revenues and various other revenue. Yet the interest and principal payments on those dorms, dining facilities, athletic facilities and various academic buildings will still be due. Needless to say, there will be an imbalance between revenue and costs/ debt obligations. Something will have to give. The payment from the CARES act each school got earlier this year and the second payment HBCU's are schedule to receive may be sufficient to get through the upcoming year, or at least reduce losses, but the schools will be woefully hurt if the pandemic goes over to 2021 and no additional money from the feds is made available.
Y'all are arguing over this year. The thread is about the viability of HBCUs moving up to FBS well into the future.

Therein lies the problem, the academic side of our institutions would get decimated in the process of trying to move up.

That's why it is on leadership at our schools to fundraise for academics instead of pimping our student athletes into these games because they are too lazy to do so themselves. It would be the same if a university received millions of dollars for academic research and athletics came in and asked for their cut (although we know that doesn't happen/wouldn't be allowed)

Athletics and academics are two completely different areas.

Y'all are arguing over this year. The thread is about the viability of HBCUs moving up to FBS well into the future.

They have to get through this period just to have a future; just surviving gives them no means to move up.

Reactions: J C
It's interesting to see so many from Alabama State University being pessimistic about this move, when their school tried to make the move by themselves a few years back. They have a much better chance of moving up as a conference. Like I stated in another post above, they have options is they don't agree to the Commissioner's vision.
some of them don't want to ever have to root against the Univ of Alabama.

Or wait for some major crisis for a Power 5 school to say they'll play a HBCU on MLK Day at the HBCU.

Ironically, Netflix's CEO planning to drop $120 million to the UNCF, Morehouse, Spelman and yadda yadda is another reason the SWAC should move up to FBS. The visibility puts eyes on the product, potentially opening the schools up to new pools of sponsorship and donations.

Ironically, Netflix's CEO planning to drop $120 million to the UNCF, Morehouse, Spelman and yadda yadda is another reason the SWAC should move up to FBS. The visibility puts eyes on the product, potentially opening the schools up to new pools of sponsorship and donations.

Netflix is only doing that because of Spike Lee who's last Netflix movie (Da 5 Bloods) was terrible. But yes, FBS would bring more exposure and sponsorship to our programs. It's a no brainer.

Netflix is only doing that because of Spike Lee who's last Netflix movie (Da 5 Bloods) was terrible. But yes, FBS would bring more exposure and sponsorship to our programs. It's a no brainer.

Delroy Lindo was awesome though! Spike ain't no war movie cat!

But folks don't wanna look at the history of those schools and how intricately tied they were to East Coast business interests. Those "upper echelon" private HBCUs were basically their pet projects after the Civil War to show people that they cared about the negroes.

Which makes me believe that there are some serious Stockholm Syndrome cases there.
my high school (carver-montgomery) has been producing nfl talent here lately. some of their feelings would be hurt if guys like mack wilson & shawn hamilton started picking bama state over bama.
I root for those players but never the pwi they went to.
I did tweet at george teague the other day. He's coaching HS in TX and says he's trying to send guys back to the gump to bama state.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

That’s not true. It‘s pure hearsay. The Adm or BOT never announced such intention.

Explain the benefit of moving to FBS. Maybe I'm just not seeing what it brings. Is it increased money some kind of way. It won't be because we would have four teams in a bowl game because we would barely get 6 wins in. I went back and looked at our out of conference schedule last year. All of our wins came from division 2 teams or less (except North Al)which we wouldn't be playing if we were FBS.

Bowl game payouts and television contracts are the biggest. Probably even a SWAC Network would bring in revenue IF we support it.

Delroy Lindo was awesome though! Spike ain't no war movie cat!

But folks don't wanna look at the history of those schools and how intricately tied they were to East Coast business interests. Those "upper echelon" private HBCUs were basically their pet projects after the Civil War to show people that they cared about the negroes.

I enjoyed the movie personally and hope he makes several more regardless of the subject. A lot of other folks are viewing his work as well.

1592438521603.png

Lookup the definition of Stockholm Syndrome. It's a psychological condition and not name calling.

I know what it means. Just because I raised the issue of expected budget cuts, does not make me a victim of the Stockholm Syndrome. To me, the budget cuts will not allow SWAC schools to move up to the FBS level. That’s my point. You don’t have to agree.

Back