SWAC going FBS? (SCSU nor TSU never got invites to the SWAC but BCU did)

I get what you are saying about the donating but shoot, you got Coach just the other day proud of the new renovation that is being made but also letting folks know he had to use his own money to get it done. No donations came in for that? So he's supposed to keep doing that if they make the move up?

And I'm all for a move up but if the Great State of MS got anything to do with additional funding for JSU to start taking recruits from Ole Miss and Miss St on the regular because they are FBS y'all on that good stuff for real. Better have some very deep pockets on side of JSU cause the state ain't giving up nothing. They may start cutting even more.
i firmly believe this. I think that any of our universities if they said, "Hey, we're moving up and we need 10,000 supporters to give $100 once a quarter," that it would happen. that would be $4,000,000 right there. I'd sign up for that right now... if we're going fbs.

I get what you are saying about the donating but shoot, you got Coach just the other day proud of the new renovation that is being made but also letting folks know he had to use his own money to get it done. No donations came in for that? So he's supposed to keep doing that if they make the move up?

And I'm all for a move up but if the Great State of MS got anything to do with additional funding for JSU to start taking recruits from Ole Miss and Miss St on the regular because they are FBS y'all on that good stuff for real. Better have some very deep pockets on side of JSU cause the state ain't giving up nothing. They may start cutting even more.

Thank you! We are still being fycked over with being funded probably. Because, we have to sue to get our proper funding.

Here's another thing, They are always going to look for the PWIs. Because, most of the alumnis are in some form of state government.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
From what I could gather from a quick google search Troy had about 9k main campus students in 2009. their first fbs year was 2001 and they made the decision to move to fbs before they left dII in the 90's. I can't find it but I'm guessing they had 5-6k students at that time. so you want to look at where they are now, but not where they were when they made the decision to move. that's not a far comparison. they were where we are now (actually not even) when they said we're going fbs. they just didn't let their fear outweigh their vision.

every school is going to be different. troy has a million campuses and if you look they said in 2009 they had over 30k students total if you count every campus and their online program, but in an apples to apples main campus to main campus comparison we aren't much different from when they made the decision.

multi-million dollar donors you say? and again... a million dollars is 1,000 alumni giving $1,000/each. heck, can I get 10,000 of you negros to give $100 dollars? there u go. done.
Music Video GIF
Troy had Wiley Sanders and the founder of Movie Gallery …. Both multi million dollar doners who basically footed the bill for Troy athletics to move up. Im sorry but we dont have that. UAB raised more money to bring back football in one year than we could possibly think of in over a decade. We write a 50k check and want a building named after us. It aint the same. Who paying these coaches a million a year like UAB paying Cark? Alcorn got 3k students and you think they should move up FBS based on what???

i firmly believe this. I think that any of our universities if they said, "Hey, we're moving up and we need 10,000 supporters to give $100 once a quarter," that it would happen. that would be $4,000,000 right there. I'd sign up for that right now... if we're going fbs.
I got what you are saying. It sounds good. But you can barely get the little donations now. Always "this or that" happened or if someone gives $500 they feel they should have say over everything that happens.

And again it goes back to this same Great State of MS that spent money on a "study" for a stadium for JSU but didn't find a "feasible" option. Let them try to move up and see how many studies and non-feasible options there will be then, this is still MS and its regressive in politics when its dealing with us.

multi-million dollar donors you say? and again... a million dollars is 1,000 alumni giving $1,000/each. heck, can I get 10,000 of you folks to give $100 dollars? there u go. done.
Music Video GIF

That's all easy to say and we say it too often to no avail. We post if we could get 5K, 10K, 20K people to give this small amount a year we would be OK, we barely get 500 to commit to it and we're back where we started. Let homecoming come around and look at how many folks are spending on that weekend to be festive and not donating anything to the school or even buying a ticket to the game. It's so sad...

EVERYTHING should operate on the BIG 3 Standards
#1 Name recognition. Dont NOBODY know or gaf about half of yall.
#2 Fan base. We can get to about 3-4 schools with one
#3. History of winning championships.
#4. Band. Most of yall bands are dumpster juice BUT bands matter.

I dont think the SWAC as a whole can move up and that is what is going to make JSU step out on faith. We don't have time to wait around now because everything is in motion. Soon, everything in bigtime college football (ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and sec) will be settled for about the next 10-15 year so we have about a 3 year window... IF THAT.

I think when this happens, it will come out of nowhere because no matter what Ole Charles says, we all know the Presidents make the decisions and when it comes to money, you cant trust nobody. WHEN this happens, it will come out of nowhere just like the news of Texas and OK and the news of UCLA and USC. Why because the back room deals cant be made public because too many feeling will be involved from those "left behind". Shady? Yes! But that's business. These schools have had YEARS to build together and cant even sell 2000 season tickets. Dont blame no one but yourselves for not selling out those tiny stadiums yall have.

Many of us have said it for a LONG time, the best solution is to have a SWAC with two-teirs. Since those talks began, two of those schools have already joined the SWAC (FAMU for FBS tier and BCU for FCS tier). At this point, the smart plan should be to absorb the MEAC into the SWAC, and the defectors (A&T, Hampton, TNState). Take the 10 schools that best fit 1-4. The other 11 will make a FCS conference. I do think that's part of a real plan. If you go listen to Coach Prime introductory press conference. He was speaking things that he already knew would happen. He mentioned that merger and yall need to listen cause......

That's all easy to say and we say it too often to no avail. We post if we could get 5K, 10K, 20K people to give this small amount a year we would be OK, we barely get 500 to commit to it and we're back where we started. Let homecoming come around and look at how many folks are spending on that weekend to be festive and not donating anything to the school or even buying a ticket to the game. It's so sad...

MOST of these people talking dont know what they are talking about because they are NOT the ones who get in the mud and do the work. They always want to say what we could do, yet they do NOTHING. Yes, we could achieve a great number in donations but not when only 5-10% of alums ( on the HIGH end donate). Only a select few get out and pound the pavement and we are the ONLY ones who know half of these mofos from these HBCUs aint bout schitt past buying a game ticket. They would try to even get that for free if they could.

It's funny, Alabama State have some of the best athletic facilities in The SWAC. But, I never heard them once talk about moving up the ranks.

If you are not moving up the ranks to a P-5. You are just wasting your time and resources.

We have our own stadium on campus.

How about you? How is that Dome Stadium coming along in Jackson, Mississippi?

We absolutely do. We operate the Vet just as you operate that under 9,000 capacity stadium you're in 😆 🤣. There's absolutely nothing about your school that's comparable to JSU. Sorry 😆 🤣 😂 😹. We can't relate

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
We absolutely do. We operate the Vet just as your operate that under 9,000 capacity stadium you're in 😆 🤣. There's absolutely nothing about your school that's comparable to JSU. Sorry 😆 🤣 😂 😹. We can't relate

Basically, you all are paying rent on home that you will never own. [Big ass facepalm]

Screen_Shot_2020-05-12_at_12.57.55_PM.jpg

It's funny, Alabama State have some of the best athletic facilities in The SWAC. But, I never heard them once talk about moving up the ranks.

If you are not moving up the ranks to a P-5. You are just wasting your time and resources.

You are misinformed. There was big talk about Bama State moving up backed by someone with supposedly deep pockets. It’s been a while but his name may be Donald Watkins…..obviously it never happened.

EVERYTHING should operate on the BIG 3 Standards
#1 Name recognition. Dont NOBODY know or gaf about half of yall.
#2 Fan base. We can get to about 3-4 schools with one
#3. History of winning championships.
#4. Band. Most of yall bands are dumpster juice BUT bands matter.

I dont think the SWAC as a whole can move up and that is what is going to make JSU step out on faith. We don't have time to wait around now because everything is in motion. Soon, everything in bigtime college football (ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and sec) will be settled for about the next 10-15 year so we have about a 3 year window... IF THAT.

I think when this happens, it will come out of nowhere because no matter what Ole Charles says, we all know the Presidents make the decisions and when it comes to money, you cant trust nobody. WHEN this happens, it will come out of nowhere just like the news of Texas and OK and the news of UCLA and USC. Why because the back room deals cant be made public because too many feeling will be involved from those "left behind". Shady? Yes! But that's business. These schools have had YEARS to build together and cant even sell 2000 season tickets. Dont blame no one but yourselves for not selling out those tiny stadiums yall have.

Many of us have said it for a LONG time, the best solution is to have a SWAC with two-teirs. Since those talks began, two of those schools have already joined the SWAC (FAMU for FBS tier and BCU for FCS tier). At this point, the smart plan should be to absorb the MEAC into the SWAC, and the defectors (A&T, Hampton, TNState). Take the 10 schools that best fit 1-4. The other 11 will make a FCS conference. I do think that's part of a real plan. If you go listen to Coach Prime introductory press conference. He was speaking things that he already knew would happen. He mentioned that merger and yall need to listen cause......
Prime will have yall paying on a house with an insane mortgage while he sneaks out the backdoor and hitches a ride back to PWC land lol

if your serious about "moving up" - show us the "plan" where EVERYONE in the department gets paid - not just at AD and select coaches

Basically, you all are paying rent on home that you will never own. [Big ass facepalm]

View attachment 15471

Is this the best you got? 🤦🏾‍♂️.
One day you'll be able to talk about your weak arse school 😆

View attachment 15471

Don't really have time for you. You used to be cool actually. Not sure what happened.
But JSU getting an on-campus stadium would be the dumbest thing ever...and NOBODY pays rent. Not in Jackson anyway.

Bama State considered the move when FAMU tried to move up. The effort fizzled once a current incarcerated FORMER board member left the BOT. Both FAMU and Bama State decided they did not have the money to move to FBS.

First off ... when talking about alumni giving in regard to athletics

1. How many LIVING alumni does your school have?
2. Of that number of living alumni, how many are members of your school's alumni association?
3. Of that number in your school's alumni association, how are they broken down by age group (ex. 35-44) and income?
4. Of that age/income breakdown ... devise donation strategies that can get some buy-in with the biggest cross-section of people.

Also, determine strategies to energize lapsed alumni to give. Learn why they’re not active givers/participants (along with alumni association members). Develop strategies to get them to give.

Last edited:
Tiger Talk Podcast - good historical perspective concerning moving up to FBS

Back