SWAC Coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get Ready

You guys love to harp on Coach Hughes about coaching, but Hughes is just as good as or better than all of the rest of the coaches in the SWAC. There is only one coach in the SWAC that is better than everybody else and that is Coles. He is a crook, and subject to get your program placed on probation, but he and his brother are pretty good. If they just concentrated on defense they would actually have something. Here is a list of coaches from top to bottom and what makes them good or bad.

1. LC Coles- the best coach in the SWAC, but thats not saying much. Good offensive coach, good recruiter, and can build a program...downside is that he cheats to do it, can and will build and destroy it at the same time. Does not concentrate on defense at all.
2. Larry Dorsey- You guys might laugh at this pick, but Larry Dorsey won at Valley, and thats hard to do. If Larry ever gets to a program where the school has any kind of commitment to athletics, he could do some damage. He is a decent offensive coach, and his Valley teams had good fundamentals, ON top of that he was a pretty good motivator. Valley was always up for JSU, unlike now.
3. Robert Hughes- From Jock washer to head coach, aint that the American way? Hughes returned in 2000 with 2 starters on defense and 3 starters on offense and he lost his two best linemen early in the season. This guy lost the best WR, QB, RB, CB. DE, the school ever had all in one season, but still managed to contend for the SWAC title and should have won it with a freshman QB. Upside, great motivator, recruiter, and organizer. Downside, micro-managing
4. Pete Richardson- I have always said that Pete was the most over-rated coach in the SWAC. He cant recruit, and he is at the mercy of his coordinators. As they go, he goes. Pete returned with all of his big guns in order last year, but still managed to embarrass himself and the beginning of the season. He didnt have a clue without his DC and it showed. He is a good motivatod and he does stress fundamentals which most SWAC coaches dont do. That gets him over the edge in most games. I could go down a list of dumb things I saw him do last year that a good coach would not have allowed. OVER-RATED is an understatement for this guy.

The rest

. Doug Williams- When you her Doug talk and you hear about some of the things he does, you dont have to wonder....he is a dummy. Doug while at grambling has done some of the stupidest crap ever. Sometimes he is just a total embarrassment to BCF. I could go on and on with a list of things that he did and didnt do, but you already know the story. I personally lost all respect for him when he sent that kid on the field to start an fight with Hayes. Cant win the BC like a real man, huh? He is an effective recruiter and motivator, but its obvious that he is a terrible organizer, planner, and teacher. He is still yet to put a respectable offense or plan on the field.
6. Bill Thomas- His light schedules dont fool me. Even before this year, he would always play of cream puff schedule just so he would be on the upside of a .500 record. I wonder how many IAA schools in Texas he has ever played or attempted to play. He obviously cant recruit since Texas is suppose to be a hotbed for talent. I will give him credit for knowing his limitations and not scheduling himself out of a job. What else can a TxSU fan ask for?
7. Hardman- Doesnt have much to work with, but manages to eek out a winning season every year. Hasnt reached the expectations, but this is the SWAC. Team has good fundamentals which is always a sign of good coaching. Not a great recruiter but works with what he has. Should be able to do better with the lack of football teams in Arkansas.
8. Ron Cooper- Real lack of coaching ability. May be better as a coordinator, but his leadership ability is poor at best. Makes soo many stupid mistakes, and never owns up to any of them. Not a great recruiter, or motivator. Is very deceptive to the locals that have never seen someone that has been up north before. Cant lead, nor can he hire someone to lead. Must have the spotlight to the downfall of the team. Might be the worst coach in the SWAC. Bottom line is....he sucks.
9. Jones,Thomas- Jones doesnt have anything to work with up in Valley and Thomas doesnt have anything to work with up in his head.

Interesting post. I agree with almost everything, especially the Larry Dorsey and Ron Cooper comments. However I disagree with the L.C. Cole comments. He's a good recruiter and offensive coach, how do u give someone credit for being a good coach when he leaves a program in shambles like he did Tennessee State. And how much credit do u give a guy when his most significant wins were over below par JSU and SU teams? I'll admit he's a good coach on the field, but when u take everything else into account, Is he really worth the risk to the program? Besides, he was only 6-5 last year, not a whole lot better than Ron Dickerson's record when he had Kennedy.

But Kool-aid

You cant discount what he did at TnSU eventhough he was a cheater. Also while at ASU he has turned a garbage dump into a garbage truck. That program was run in the ground and hadnt seen daylight for a while. At least he turned it around. They did the coward thing this year and scheduled D2 squads like JC Smith and A&M, but they have to get wins somewhere.

True, but at least in my eyes, part of what makes a good coach is in what shape u leave the program when you're finished. Is TSU better off now than it was before he was there? Will ASU be any better after he's done with them?? I know he's brought some excitement into that program, but I doubt if he'll win more than 7 games this year.

I will take Johnny Thomas as the next Coach of The Year. Mark my word, he will win this season, and he will beat Da G-Spots, The Haguars, Alley Life, Ala HAM U, but he still won't beat JSU!

Originally posted by Get Ready
Doug while at grambling has done some of the stupidest crap ever. Sometimes he is just a total embarrassment to BCF. I could go on and on with a list of things that he did and didnt do, but you already know the story.

I'd love to see this list when you get a clue...err...I mean a chance. :rolleyes:

Get Ready: Some Responses!

1. LC Coles- the best coach in the SWAC, but thats not saying much. Good offensive coach, good recruiter, and can build a program...downside is that he cheats to do it, can and will build and destroy it at the same time. Does not concentrate on defense at all.
I don't know about best in SWAC. Granted he did a good job in his first year, but it's a bit early to tell. In the game against GSU, he wasn't able to adjust/adapt to what GSU was doing offensively and defensively. I think this was simply a matter of " well I can't say Coop, Pete, or Doug"

2. Larry Dorsey- You guys might laugh at this pick, but Larry Dorsey won at Valley, and thats hard to do. If Larry ever gets to a program where the school has any kind of commitment to athletics, he could do some damage. He is a decent offensive coach, and his Valley teams had good fundamentals, ON top of that he was a pretty good motivator. Valley was always up for JSU, unlike now.

I sorta agree with you on this one. Dorsey is a good coach. A bit "strange" in some of his actions, but a good football man. Appears to be a player's coach in that his players "play" for him. If the folk at PVU get behind him and get some players (I think with it's facilities and location, they could recruit) he should do wonders. If he was smart, he would try to get with Billy Nicks to link up with the past tradition and maybe get some of the alumni to force changes in how it's being done

3. Robert Hughes- From Jock washer to head coach, aint that the American way? Hughes returned in 2000 with 2 starters on defense and 3 starters on offense and he lost his two best linemen early in the season. This guy lost the best WR, QB, RB, CB. DE, the school ever had all in one season, but still managed to contend for the SWAC title and should have won it with a freshman QB. Upside, great motivator, recruiter, and organizer. Downside, micro-managing

I understand you have sentimental ties. I too would have to "Cheer" - no pun intended-for someone who has demonstrated the work ethic and loyalty that this man has for his alma mater. I think he is a good company man who stepped in when his university needed him. However, he is NOT a head coach. He is not a good decision maker or sideline coach. His game plan appears to be...just work hard in practice and we'll beat them because of the work we put in. No game plan, doesn't make good adjustments

4. Pete Richardson- I have always said that Pete was the most over-rated coach in the SWAC. He cant recruit, and he is at the mercy of his coordinators. As they go, he goes. Pete returned with all of his big guns in order last year, but still managed to embarrass himself and the beginning of the season. He didnt have a clue without his DC and it showed. He is a good motivatod and he does stress fundamentals which most SWAC coaches dont do. That gets him over the edge in most games. I could go down a list of dumb things I saw him do last year that a good coach would not have allowed. OVER-RATED is an understatement for this guy.

I agree with some of what you state. Yes a bit overrated, but still a good football man. Stresses fundamentals and knows how to assemble a good staff. Pete is an organizer and leaves a lot up to his coordinators...that's not a bad thing to do when you have experienced people. Sometimes too stubborn for his own good (not making the move to Levy when it was obvious he was the "hot" hand). You have to give him credit for the turnaround he orchestrated last season. In the past, SU teams would have folded and quit (like most of it's fans did last year). The bottom line is winning. We may not agree with how he did it, but the "He Did It"!

The rest

Doug Williams- When you her Doug talk and you hear about some of the things he does, you dont have to wonder....he is a dummy. Doug while at grambling has done some of the stupidest crap ever. Sometimes he is just a total embarrassment to BCF. I could go on and on with a list of things that he did and didnt do, but you already know the story. I personally lost all respect for him when he sent that kid on the field to start an fight with Hayes. Cant win the BC like a real man, huh? He is an effective recruiter and motivator, but its obvious that he is a terrible organizer, planner, and teacher. He is still yet to put a respectable offense or plan on the field.

The thing about Doug Williams is that there's no middle ground. Either you like him or you can't stand him. I admit Doug has a personality that borders on being arrogant...comes across as saying to those who criticize him as saying: Kiss My Azz!
Can be very opinionated, but that's probably due to situations and circumstances that he has encountered. Not an excuse, but definitely a reason. Personally, I don't think his grammar is any different from most coaches. Yes he has a heavy country accent, but so did Clemson's Danny Ford, so does Terry Bradshaw! The difference is that when whites have accents, it's referred to as being 'folksy'. Anyway, whether you agree with some of Doug's comments or actions, the bottom line is he is a winner. Has won on ever level as a player and as a Coach. People talk about his offensive schemes...but in actuality it is a matter of execution. Now that he has assembled the necessary talent (GSU is loaded) he has GSU back to the level of GREATNESS that makes "haters" form Jacktown, Scotlandville, and all points in between post their "opinions"

6. Bill Thomas- His light schedules dont fool me. Even before this year, he would always play of cream puff schedule just so he would be on the upside of a .500 record. I wonder how many IAA schools in Texas he has ever played or attempted to play. He obviously cant recruit since Texas is suppose to be a hotbed for talent. I will give him credit for knowing his limitations and not scheduling himself out of a job. What else can a TxSU fan ask for?
An okay coach, but has trouble attracting the talent (on the coaching staff) to keep things consistent. The continuing change in offensive coordinators makes them a running team for a couple of season, then a passing team the next. Makes it tough when you have to gear your recruiting to the change. His biggest problem is job insecurity. Scheduling those creme puffs to get a winning record ain't accomplishing nothing til you can break through and win the Division. Unfortunately for him, he has to play in the West last season. Needs to continue to recruit and develop better relations with the high school coaches in the area. It amazes me that a lot of Coaches don't have Summer Camps and hire the area coaches to work them.

7. Hardman- Doesnt have much to work with, but manages to eek out a winning season every year. Hasn't reached the expectations, but this is the SWAC. Team has good fundamentals which is always a sign of good coaching. Not a great recruiter but works with what he has. Should be able to do better with the lack of football teams in Arkansas.
Contrary to popular belief there are a lot of football teams in Arkansas. Some of them are NAIA and are able to get players that Hardeman may be after. He has been close on several occassions. Apparently he can't get his kids to get over mental letdowns. In the past, has placed too much emphasis on the SU game. When he lost, his team was deflated...last year when he won, he over celebrated. A good high school coach and a decent college coach. Needs to continue to recruit Texas and North Louisiana as well as PineBluff athletes. Also not taking advantage of proximity to Oklahoma & Memphis (would be developing ties with high schools in that area as well)

8. Ron Cooper- Real lack of coaching ability. May be better as a coordinator, but his leadership ability is poor at best. Makes soo many stupid mistakes, and never owns up to any of them. Not a great recruiter, or motivator. Is very deceptive to the locals that have never seen someone that has been up north before. Cant lead, nor can he hire someone to lead. Must have the spotlight to the downfall of the team. Might be the worst coach in the SWAC. Bottom line is....he sucks.
Last year should have been his year. He made a bad hire when he picked up Kaiss as his offensive coordinator. I think he underestimated how difficult it would be to win in the SWAC. However he recruits well and may be about to turn the corner. His number one priority should be to hire an experienced offensive coordinator and give him FULL reins to the offense-even so far as the game plan. His focus should be on defense and learning not to rely on gadget plays at critical stages of the game.
Bobby Bowden proved that gadget plays are find, but at critical stages of the game, the defense is very alert!

9. Jones,Thomas- Jones doesnt have anything to work with up in Valley and Thomas doesnt have anything to work with up in his head.

Jones made a smart move hiring Willie Totten as Offensive Coordinator. Totten's offensive knowledge and teaching skills, plus the recruiting benefit should bode well for Valley. Jones was a very good Defensive Coordinator at UAPB.
Needs to concentrate on scheduling D2 Tuskegee, FT Valley, Henderson State in order to recruit Alabama, Georgia, and Arkansas for talent

Thomas apparently is not the answer at Alcorn. After going 0-16, he has lost credibility in a huge way. Maybe the new OC can help, but I think a shakeup is needed. The hiring of Marino Casem as Interim AD is interesting. I wonder if he will be the "hatchet" man to get rid of Thomas. Tuskegee had better give a payraise to Comegys...Marino might just come calling. If so, the SWAC had better Watch Out...Comegys is an excellent coach.

Originally posted by MikeBigg

Doug Williams- . Anyway, whether you agree with some of Doug's comments or actions, the bottom line is he is a winner. Has won on ever level as a player and as a Coach

No smack intended, but what was Doug record as a high school coach? What was the record at Naval Academy, and Morris Brown?

LOL @ this thread, but especially...

Is very deceptive to the locals that have never seen someone that has been up north before.

and

I too would have to "Cheer" - no pun intended-for someone who has demonstrated the work ethic and loyalty that this man has for his alma mater.

Damn I love the smack board.

Originally posted by BgJag

No smack intended, but what was Doug record as a high school coach? What was the record at Naval Academy, and Morris Brown?

Then Ill do the Smacking part for my man Bg

What was that pathetic record again?

Originally posted by BgJag

When Pointe Coupee Central was formed with the consolidation of several lower classification (A, B, C) to become a AAA school, Doug started the season 1-5, but finished at 5-5. He left after the first year and the progam has been down since.

Upon leaving PCC, he took over at Northeast High (formerly Chaneyville High, his alma mater) and led them to a 11-1 record. They lost to perennial powerhouse Haynesville in the semi-finals.
Northeast defeated Payton Manning's Newman High squad by double digits. Some say that Lynn Amedee left Doug with talent, but in 4 years prior to Doug the best they had finished was 7-4. Some say that former SU Lab Coach Grover Perkins (an assistant) was actually doing the coaching, but after Doug left the winning went down the next year (with many returning starters) to 8-3, 6-5-5, 4-6, Perkins fired!

At the Naval Academy, Doug served as the running back coach for one season. The team had a losing record, the head coach was fired and his entire staff removed. Doug then went to work with the expansion Jacksonville Jaguar as a scout. Must have done fairly well, because they drafted several good players to become overnight contenders. Note: Alabama State's Reggie Barlow was recommened to Jacksonville by Doug.

Doug's one year record at Morehouse was 2-8. That was coming off a 1 win season the prior two years. His records at GSU has been: 5-6, 7-4, 10-2 a steady progression!

Originally posted by MikeBigg
The rest

Last year should have been his year. He made a bad hire when he picked up Kaiss as his offensive coordinator. I think he underestimated how difficult it would be to win in the SWAC. However he recruits well and may be about to turn the corner. His number one priority should be to hire an experienced offensive coordinator and give him FULL reins to the offense-even so far as the game plan. His focus should be on defense and learning not to rely on gadget plays at critical stages of the game.
Bobby Bowden proved that gadget plays are find, but at critical stages of the game, the defense is very alert!

NOTED!:D

Seriously, I'd have to give Dorsey the nod as best coach in the SWAC. Anybody who can consistently win at Valley has to know his football.

The list as I see it:

1. Dorsey: Could do damage with decent personnel.
2. Hardeman: Pretty good when one considers his Valleyish recruiting area.
3. Richardson: Depends greatly on coordinators, but has solid gameplans.
4. Hughes: Pretty good job thus far considering obstacles (deaths of Carson , Payton in '99; missing 15 starters in '00). This year there will be no excuses, however. Will either prove to be a solid coach or will be fired (like E. Rob :p).
5. Cole: Opportunistic and good offensive strategist. Shadiness can damage a program in the long run. Upcoming season will truly indicate his worth.
6. B. Thomas: Soft scheduling history has always underminded credibility.
7. Williams: Good recruiter by default, but will go for two, up by four in crucial situations. Nuff said.
8. J. Thomas: An academic who talks a great game, but can neither motivate nor hire/ recruit worth a damn.
9. Jones: A coordinator, but not a coach.
10. Cooper: Pretty good recruiter, but otherwise an idiot. Better off working for a P.R. firm.

Originally posted by HBCUs

The list as I see it:

4. Hughes: Pretty good job thus far considering obstacles (deaths of Carson , Payton in '99; missing 15 starters in '00). This year there will be no excuses, however. Will either prove to be a solid coach or will be fired (like E. Rob :p).

HBCU,

You need your azz whipped for what you just posted!!! I can see you commenting about the loss of starters, but to use Carson and Payton's death is really sad. When Carson died, that team lost to SU twice in the same season. Those losses had nothing to do with any emotional feelings due to Carson. Hughes had been selected as Coach shortly after Spring drills.

Walter Payton is even more of a stretch. I bet over half of those kids hadn't even met Payton or seen him set foot on JSU's campus. Did Payton even die during the football season? That's a dayum shame...Don't you EVER have the nerve to criticize Cooper again after posting these sadazz excuses!!!

Mike,

You still pissed about getting the isht smacked out of you on the 50 years thread? I understand.

Bruh, don't come at me with that bulls***. Nowhere in my post I did say that those deaths were the reason for the SU losses. If Coach Rob were to die in October, would that possibly have an effect upon the atmosphere/ psyche at Gram?

(Well, judging from his last four years of treatment from you folks, I guess not. Nevermind I asked.)
:rolleyes:

Well Mr "I Think I Know It All" when was Hughes selected interim Head Coach? I remember Carson missing Spring practice before he died!

But regardless of when, let's stick to the matter at hand. It is so sad to use these two persons death as an excuse for the inabilities of Hughes.

BTW: It's obvious yall trying to start a "Hire LC Cole" campaign!
Starting to realize yall had your heads up your butts when yall keep "Mr. Clean" as head coach. The man is just like those jock straps he used to clean..."WASHED UP"!!!

Oh isht,

I said the words "Coach Rob" and "die" in the same sentence. Kenn gone really whup my azz now.

Dougs a winner and Coach of the Year

Doug Williams was a winner at the High School level as well. Before taking the Grambling job he had built a respectable team at Morehouse, look at the what Doug left at Morehouse, they finished with a winning season last year with players recruited and coached by Doug. He would have won there too, if he hadn't taken the Grambling job. He was not the head coach at Navy but was consider a damn good recruiter and assistant coach.:redhot: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by HBCUs
Oh isht,

I said the words "Coach Rob" and "die" in the same sentence. Kenn gone really whup my azz now.

SAD!!!!

But really, you need to stop making excuses for Hughes. I know yall have school pride, but dayum man it ain't happening.

Yall call Doug dumb, but he has a SWAC championship! Hughes ain't the one. But I understand, yall hate to admit that yall jumped the gun an hired the wrong guy. Those premature ...er selections will get you in trouble everytime.

What 50's isht you talking about. I'm like an elephant bruh, Short memory, long "trunk" and willing to work for my nuts!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back