SWAC Announces Football Championship Game Hosting Scenarios but moved it to a Neutral Site

Why have and publish tiebreaker criteria if you not gonna abide by it. I support the commish most if the time, but this is his dumbest decision yet. I hate when folks change the rules in the middle of the game.
You haven't understood yet? The Commish works for Thee. It's called the Prime Effect.

darth vader fist shake GIF

The Championship game is being moved becaiuse of issues with covid-19 protocols at the participating institutions (UAPB & AAMU). Apparently covid-19 somehow managed to escape, avoid, or take a detour around Jackson and Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium?

How is that possible when JSU is not playing this week because of COVID.........

Just pay us our money and don't leave your chitlen boxes and buckets all over our stadium.

Make that check out to:

Jackson State Athletic Department
what money jsu getting from the SWAC championship game? McClelland just said in the interview y'all not getting sh!t.

Last edited:
To my closest JSU friends let me share the issues that I see.

McClelland is for JSU (the rules indicated a coin flip not a neutral site game)

National tv exposure for Jackson, Mississippi and Mighty JSU

The city of Jackson will benefit financially for hosting the game.

Mighty JSU will benefit financially for hosting the game (unless McClelland is telling the truth about no financial benefits for Mighty JSU)

Coach Prime will use this game as a motivator for his players ("don't you ever let another team come in your house and play for a championship and it's not Mighty JSU").

If either AAMU or Pine Bluff is paying for travel and not the SWAC office, that is a robbery without wearing a mask!

Will AAMU be the only team in SWAC history that will not host a home game?

I simply do not seeing any advantages for anyone except Mighty JSU.

Last edited:

To my closest JSU friends let me share the issues that I see.

McClelland is for JSU (the rules indicated a coin flip not a neutral site game)

National tv exposure for Jackson, Mississippi and Mighty JSU

The city of Jackson will benefit financially for hosting the game.

Mighty JSU will benefit financially for hosting the game (unless McClelland is telling the truth about no financial benefits for Mighty JSU)

Coach Prime will use this game as a motivator for his players ("don't you ever let another team come in your house and play for a championship and it's not Mighty JSU").

If either AAMU or Pine Bluff is paying for travel and not the SWAC office, that is a robbery without wearing a mask!

Will AAMU be the only team in SWAC history that will not host a home game?

I simply do not seeing any advantages for anyone except Mighty JSU.

Ok. I just heard McClelland's interview, I take back half of what I said. He did a great job of explaining what happened...

The commish was not being totally honest about this... the Mayor may have contacted him but has Zero authority on utilizing the stadium. That is the sole responsibility of JSU. All contractual dialog is handled by a JSU employee and paid to JSU. We may have offered the stadium at no fee to the conference with them covering all expenses, But he sounds good! I hope we didn’t charge the conference because it’s a win win for the city and JSU!

View: https://twitter.com/HBCUSportsLab1/status/1385088564191539200?s=20

He explains the whole process and it has nothing to do with jsu or their people.
Great explanation. I stand corrected. This seems like a sensible call all things considered. Two things the SWAC could’ve done to avoid some of this confusion: (1) scheduled AAMU and MVSU earlier in the season when both didn’t have games to play. (2) include all the information the commissioner shared in a press release or do a full press conference to announce the change.

SWAC need to improve their communications in general. Even when publishing their hosting criteria on Monday, they missed an opportunity to interpret those criteria to show why would happen in all the possible scenarios, which also led to confusion.

what money jsu getting from the SWAC championship game? McClelland just said in the interview y'all not getting sh!t.
Dude, this money don't HAVE ANYTHING to do with the Conference. What? You didn't know? This has to do with the State of Ms. and using our stadium. Just have our check ready or those chains don't come ofd the gates.

The commish was not being totally honest about this... the Mayor may have contacted him but has Zero authority on utilizing the stadium. That is the sole responsibility of JSU. All contractual dialog is handled by a JSU employee and paid to JSU. We may have offered the stadium at no fee to the conference with them covering all expenses, But he sounds good! I hope we didn’t charge the conference because it’s a win win for the city and JSU!

Thank you!! Yall pay us our money or yall not getting in. Simple and plain.

Great explanation. I stand corrected. This seems like a sensible call all things considered. Two things the SWAC could’ve done to avoid some of this confusion: (1) scheduled AAMU and MVSU earlier in the season when both didn’t have games to play. (2) include all the information the commissioner shared in a press release or do a full press conference to announce the change.

SWAC need to improve their communications in general. Even when publishing their hosting criteria on Monday, they missed an opportunity to interpret those criteria to show why would happen in all the possible scenarios, which also led to confusion.
Sounds like some backroom dealings and/or collusion.

I done told y'all folks working for HBCUs, Walmart McDonald's and Burger King got the most of useless employees in America. Only about 5% has the intelligence to work else where. The SWAC and MEAC offices probably got less than 1% who could work any where else. Both commissioners ain't got the sense of a rusty nickel stuck in mud.

In order for this to happen, you have to have a competent AD wanting to make this happen. Think it's no longer a secret that Valley simply doesn't have one. We on this board suggested for WEEKS to make it happen. We KNOW people at SWAC HQ read this board so for them to not twist the arm of our (Valley) incompetent AD to make that game happen in March comes back to bite the entire conference (but especially UAPB)

Back