SU may hire …. Marshall Faulk? Maybe this started before Odums left

Dawson Odoms is a first class head coach, there are not many like him anymore that put the work into his staff, I would also say Coach Mcnair both are highly respected. They have proven records year after year and Coach Washington at North Carolina A&T.

Somebody wake me up when some of the doubters realize that what we've been doing hasn't been working and we are still at the some point we were at 15 years ago struggling with the same talent and financial issues as well as a lack of program progression. We gotta do something different going forward and take a calculated risk that is better than the standard protocol we've been following with former SWAC retreads and recycled coaches!

I t
The asst. coaches are the ones that will be doing most of the coaching so why not. All of them need to hire former NFL players and not the cycle of re-runs. At the SWAC games head coaches look like baptist deacons, they want to be cool. They think the fans come to see them, Ain't nobody paying to come see you OTIS, remember that one.
I think that’s the problem that most of the up and coming coaches are having with this trend. They can’t get the head job at a hbcu where they have worked their whole career trying to elevate only to have a guy who has no hbcu ties or never had any cares about hbcu before last month. I can certainly understand those coaches gripe.

The asst. coaches are the ones that will be doing most of the coaching so why not. All of them need to hire former NFL players and not the cycle of re-runs. At the SWAC games head coaches look like baptist deacons, they want to be cool. They think the fans come to see them, Ain't nobody paying to come see you OTIS, remember that one.

Why ain’t the alma maters hiring the former players who can provide them more resources. Wouldn’t that make more sense? They’re not even asking for them to come and coach. That’s says something but we’re supposed to open our doors and give them full access knowing they’ll complain when they don’t get their way.

Somebody wake me up when some of the doubters realize that what we've been doing hasn't been working and we are still at the some point we were at 15 years ago struggling with the same talent and financial issues as well as a lack of program progression. We gotta do something different going forward and take a calculated risk that is better than the standard protocol we've been following with former SWAC retreads and recycled coaches!

Just support the program financially and let someone who is vested in this coach. How much of a long term gain is the question cause what works at one place ain’t going to work at all. When they leave we’re going to keep doing it and then just pluck away random stars when the list runs out?

Um i smell Similac... what school you identify with ? These SWAC streets cruel man can’t be walking by yourself and shhhh... 😅

Do you know the difference between Deion and Marshall Faulk? The difference in personalities? The difference in why each one left their TV jobs? Who still has endorsements and who lost them and why? There is absolutely no way Marshall Faulk will be the coach at Southern and probably not at any college or high school.

Do you know the difference between Deion and Marshall Faulk? The difference in personalities? The difference in why each one left their TV jobs? Who still has endorsements and who lost them and why? There is absolutely no way Marshall Faulk will be the coach at Southern and probably not at any college or high school.

Nope and don't care really. Every person has their own way of doing things and brings their respective personality to the program. What our programs are in dire need of is exposure, visibility, and sponsorship. Right now we are in a prime position to obtain all three, even if it means we have to get a NFL Hall of Famer figure head be the face of our football programs temporarily in an effort to help guide them through this Image & Likeness Revolution coming down the pipeline.

What better resource to utilize and pave that path than individuals who did it at a top level when they were in the League as well as when they exited the League? For once, we are actually ahead of the game and picking up some much needed momentum to help construct a visible plan on how we captilize on this social justice movement as well as Image & Likeness bills. But some of us would rather sit on the sidelines and continue to get left behind!

Last edited:
Nope and don't care really. Every person has their own way of doing things and brings their respective personality to the program. What our programs are in dire need of is exposure, visibility, and sponsorship. Right now we are in a prime position to obtain all three, even if it means we have to get a NFL Hall of Famer figure head be the face of our football programs temporarily in an effort to help guide them through this Image & Likeness Revolution coming down the pipeline.

What better resource to utilize and pave that path than individuals who did it at a top level when they were in the League as well as when they exited the League? For once, we are actually ahead of the game and picking up some much needed momentum to help construct a visible plan on who we captilize on this social justice movement as well as Image & Likeness. But some of us would rather sit on the sidelines and continue to get left behind!
Ok. Just don't try to say hiring Faulk is a done deal when you know nothing about the situation other than what Faulks team provided to the media.

Dawson Odums is a very good football coach who IMO did an excellent job at Southern. If memory serves me correctly Southern fired Stump the day after Valley (which ended up having a 5-4 SWAC record that year) shut SU out 6-0 on a Thursday night ESPN U game in 2012. Coach was named interim. The AD announced that he would not even be considered for the job on a full time basis. They went out a week later and upset a very good JSU team on the road. The Jaguars went 4-5 under Odums and he was named head coach. Since then they have been a very solid, well-coached program year in and year out. SWAC fans are as passionate as any in the country and I love that. However I do not think they appreciate their coaches sometimes. Jackson State was really good during Comegys last 4 years. They have not approached that level since. I wish SU well but I think you may realize how good a coach Dawson Odums is after he is gone.

Isnt this celebrity thing like the opposite of trying to improve your competitiveness?
The intended goal is to create more visibility and opportunities for HBCU players to get to the NFL. Essentially, this starts with recruiting kids that end up going to Div I schools as 3-stars to sit on the bench for 3 years before they play. The best way would be for existing HBCU coaches to do this, but no college prospect will turn down a phone call from Deion Sanders.

Dawson Odums is a very good football coach who IMO did an excellent job at Southern. If memory serves me correctly Southern fired Stump the day after Valley (which ended up having a 5-4 SWAC record that year) shut SU out 6-0 on a Thursday night ESPN U game in 2012. Coach was named interim. The AD announced that he would not even be considered for the job on a full time basis. They went out a week later and upset a very good JSU team on the road. The Jaguars went 4-5 under Odums and he was named head coach. Since then they have been a very solid, well-coached program year in and year out. SWAC fans are as passionate as any in the country and I love that. However I do not think they appreciate their coaches sometimes. Jackson State was really good during Comegys last 4 years. They have not approached that level since. I wish SU well but I think you may realize how good a coach Dawson Odums is after he is gone.
This you Jay Walker?

No Buc98, :) I am not Jay, not even a big fan of his as a commentator. Just a football lifer who appreciates and pulls for the SWAC. And also values good football coaches. Which Coach Sanders, Coach George and possibly Coach Faulk may all turn out to be. But I recognize well run programs. Southern is, Grambling has been under Fobbs up until this spring (have to think Pandemic played a huge role) and JSU was under Comegys. There are others in the SWAC as well, just really thought Odums and Comegys were not appreciated enough. Don't know either on a personal basis.

Most schools have former NFL players on their staff

If he wanted to do that , he would have pulled that trigger long ago. He'll get them equipment and all but that's probably about it.

He’s been pulled for nickel and dime donations in the past across campus so it isn’t like he hasn’t been on the sideline. I saw on Twitter he just spoke to the team so he’s involved to a degree.

When the time is right you then make the big pitch for the life changing donation.

The advantage he has over the others is he has made NFL money and legit post NFL money so you gotta keep him warm. That’s one advantage most swac schools don’t have is an alum still in the limelight in terms of endorsements and exposure. He goes off TV the free mentions for the league drops tremendously

No Buc98, :) I am not Jay, not even a big fan of his as a commentator. Just a football lifer who appreciates and pulls for the SWAC. And also values good football coaches. Which Coach Sanders, Coach George and possibly Coach Faulk may all turn out to be. But I recognize well run programs. Southern is, Grambling has been under Fobbs up until this spring (have to think Pandemic played a huge role) and JSU was under Comegys. There are others in the SWAC as well, just really thought Odums and Comegys were not appreciated enough. Don't know either on a personal basis.
Comedy’s firing was not all about football!!! Maybe 25%....

Back