Southern's band director asked for kickbacks

They should give Haymer a raise. Maybe then, he wouldn't be so money hungry and he will keep his hands out of other people cookie jars.

After the previous comments the board went on to discuss this item, which was number 6 on the agenda. Board member Ann Smith suggested to put this issue on hold, but rather considered and decided the current Band Director Nathan Haymer, should receive a raise. Being a controversial topic board member Rev. Joe Grant Jr. immediately made a response. “ Now we just need to stop playing with these peoples money, we have put this item on hold too long, and it wouldn’t be fair to vote and give the band director a raise and just let the other employees be.” Smith interrupted saying “But it is an important time for the band, and they should be at there best, its marching season.” Grant continued saying “I agree but, we need to go ahead and vote this matter up or down and get past it, if we put this to the side for next month, there’s going to be another excuse. I don’t understand people, how can we keep slapping people cut in the cut; we can applaud them (employees), but not pay them.” Grant went on to say “How can we say we gone pay, the band director, because it’s in the budget. The money is in the budget for the other positions. We need to explain to them that it is not that the board doesn’t see you, and your work or value, but when money is coming, you have to work with what you have,” finished Grant. The board decided to increase the salary of 10 persons of administration. Of the 10 there were only two professors, Catrice Tolbert at $68,683 and Zhengmao Ye at $81,790, two Associate professors: Mathieu Kourouma at $76,500, and Dr. Joshua A. Joseph at $85,000 and others that included Dumas receiving a salary adjustment at $140,000, McClinton at $200,000, Haymer at $76,500, Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs and Director of Admissions and Recruitment Anthony Jackson at $90,000, Associate Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management Raymond Clarke at $92,500 and newly hired Director of Center for Student Success Latrina Collins at $60,000. The meeting ended with final discussions, comments and a role call.

http://www.southerndigest.com/news/article_8658defc-5af5-11e4-ad2f-001a4bcf6878.html

In a perfect world, you guys would love to see The Jukebox and Haymer fail. It’s been 4 years, and y’all still reaching. So continue, HATING!

In 4 years, Haymer has done NOTHING that stands out in the Marching Band world! Other Marching bands are out drilling, out playing and out shining the Jukebox! Keep reaching, dreaming and wishing upon a star, your wish may come true one day.

Last edited:
In 4 years, Haymer has done NOTHING that stands out in the Marching Band world! Other Marching bands are out drilling, out playing and out shining the Jukebox! Keep reaching, dreaming and wishing upon a star, your wish may come true one day.
1yiu9e.jpg

And while we're on it, please share what JSU has done the past 4 years that stands out. Heck I'll even stretch it to the past 10 years.

And while we're on it, please share what JSU has done the past 4 years that stands out. Heck I'll even stretch it to the past 10 years.

Until Southern University's marching band is enshrined into the NCAA Hall of Champions along with Florida A& M, Grambling and Jackson State University marching bands, you have NO argument!
sbed_sign_goodnite_100-100.gif

Last edited:
Until Southern University's marching band is enshrined into the NCAA Hall of Champions along with Florida A& M, Grambling and Jackson State University marching bands, you have NO argument!
sbed_sign_goodnite_100-100.gif

Your post implies that because these 3 schools have some sort of "enshrinement", that they are a cut above.
As I look at the current and not so distant past versions of these three, as a Jukebox alum and supporter,
we have no need to "argue" about anything...I'd say we are a cut above these three...carry on though

Your post implies that because these 3 schools have some sort of "enshrinement", that they are a cut above.
As I look at the current and not so distant past versions of these three, as a Jukebox alum and supporter,
we have no need to "argue" about anything...I'd say we are a cut above these three...carry on though
When it comes to integrity, you may be right.

So Sorry I'm a little late to this discussion but to answer your question...actually very little...unless you consider being acclaimed AMERICA'S GREATEST MARCHING BAND as its cover article feature intro in the Jan/Feb 2017 issue of Smithsonian Magazine as not being significant.

Last edited:
So Sorry I'm a little late to this discussion but to answer your question...actually very little...unless you consider being acclaimed AMERICA'S GREATEST MARCHING BAND as its cover article feature intro in the Jan/Feb 2017 issue of Smithsonian Magazine as not being significant.

i have that magazine! Great article, awesome marching band!

Back