Southern's band director asked for kickbacks

So no one read the part in the suit where Haymer allegedly told the plaintiff that Dumas was no longer his supervisor and would require a lot more documentation due to the new supervisor being a "financial hawk."? Then later on in the suit the plaintiff said that they sent the information about Haymer's alleged "kickback" texts to Dumas despite it being known that he wasn't his supervisor anymore?

Also kind of weird that there was a shift from needing everything to be verified and documented, then suddenly a week or two before the event he suddenly asks for a kickback via text instead of in person?
Let's see how this plays out.

man-jail-cell-stands-bed-footage-062705660_iconm.jpeg

I wonder if other bands will take advantage of this "gift" by giving back the jokes to Haymer (if he's still band director), like he dished out to them.
Any how, this has to be a major embarrassment to southern university as a whole and to it's band.

I wonder if other bands will take advantage of this "gift" by giving back the jokes to Haymer (if he's still band director), like he dished out to them.
Any how, this has to be a major embarrassment to southern university as a whole and to it's band.

You already know the BoomBox Classic will be addressing this on the field. The Sonic Boom is ruthless, nothing is off limits

You already know the BoomBox Classic will be addressing this on the field. The Sonic Boom is ruthless, nothing is off limits

You ain't never lied! First the Boom can honor Haymer by playing LL Cool J's, I'm bad. Change the rap just for Haymer. Ocean of Soul, can you help me out here? Press play!

Then the Boom can end the skit with this song! Bad boy, bad boy, what'cha goona do, what'cha goona do, when the Boom come for you? The Boom can do a skit showing Haymer being handcuffed and arrested. lol

Awwww, hahahaha. The BOOM wouldn't dare kick Haymer while he's down.....would they?? LOL!!
I seriously doubt your director would green light a personal attack against a colleague. That would be pretty unprecedented.

I seriously doubt your director would green light a personal attack against a colleague. That would be pretty unprecedented.
So attacking the character of a director's band isn't personal? You can't have it both ways. Haymer didn't seem to have a problem with it.

So attacking the character of a director's band isn't personal? You can't have it both ways. Haymer didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Well the game is in Baton Rouge this year. I say bring it on.

That'll just make it all the more embarrassing to Haymer and a convenient reminder to all them Jags in person of the crook they have in their midst disguised as a band director.

That'll just make it all the more embarrassing to Haymer and a convenient reminder to all them Jags in person of the crook they have in their midst disguised as a band director.

I blame Southern administrators. Haymer antics finally caught up with him, Haymer has too many character issues to be Band Director.

Southern Band Director accused of asking for kickbacks had prior arrest for felony theft
March 14, 2018 5:51 PM in News Source: WBRZ By: Chris Nakamoto

BATON ROUGE- Southern Band Director Nathan Haymer is defending himself tonight, over a prior arrest he faced on a felony theft charge at a high school he worked for in Lake Charles as a band director.

Haymer reported over $2,000 was missing from the band department at Washington Marion High School. Auditors were called in and police reports indicate that number was more like $40,000. Investigators arrested Haymer and charged him with felony theft. Arrest documents show he was accused of taking $5,000. However, his brother, Niles Haymer said this was a bad investigation. He says his brother's case was never pursued, and there was insufficient evidence to proceed.

Information of Haymer's prior arrest comes the same week that a media company accused him of sending a text message asking for a kickback to have Southern University's world-famous band perform at an event.

Today, Haymer opened up outside the band offices on Southern University's Campus.

"Auditors to this day have yet to show me where they got that number from," Haymer said. "All I know is I was collecting money for jackets and went to Subway less than a mile away and money was missing from my desk."

Haymer was among three others arrested after the money went missing.

"It is a witchhunt," Haymer said. "Am I perfect, no. I have a past. But, I'm not that type of person. I have blemishes in my past. It's still on the internet."

Haymer said he was never terminated from the high school and was hired by Southern University right after.

Today, the District Attorney's Office in Calcasieu Parish said they couldn't independently verify that the charges were not pursued because they only keep paperwork on felonies for ten years.

Despite that text message, Haymer said he would never do that.

"I'm an honest person," Haymer said. "I have integrity. Southern pays me well enough and there's no need for me to get kickbacks from a fundraiser."

The contract for Octagon Media totaled almost $50,000. The media company says it had to pay refunds to the organizations that used them to schedule the marching band to perform at events.

Southern Band Director accused of asking for kickbacks had prior arrest for felony theft

mod.gif

Don't think they will able to use our jumbo-tron at Mumford. Both bands need to just concentrate on doing a field show with no gimmicks.

I blame Southern administrators. Haymer antics finally caught up with him, Haymer has too many character issues to be Band Director.

Actually SU administrators are in the lawsuit. Folks just trying to concentrate on Haymer. It wasn't like they didn't name other folks. I am sure the State of La will send their auditors next. If folks read the transcript. Dumas was there when all this started. So I am sure this is his camp way of getting back at SU and Haymer. Typical SU politics. Nothing new. Hell they tried to get Doc Greggs in the end. Luckily he had the Gov and folks in the state political arena on his side. Mr Jackson retired because of the politics and such. Tough position to have. Some folks will always think the BAND has gotten to big or too popular. Was no different than when I marched. Folks on that campus were jealous of Doc's power and the popularity of the band. Always trying to catch him slipping. It's a great job. But a dangerous one. You better be on your p's and q's.

I forgot about the previous Haymer theft allegations. It's ironic that Haymer would make joke skits about other folks reportedly stealing, when he has a history of stealing himself.

No Boom member was arrested and faced felony theft charges, can't say the same about Haymer. The keywords are "rap sheet", Haymer has one.
mod.gif

Last edited:
Actually SU administrators are in the lawsuit. Folks just trying to concentrate on Haymer. It wasn't like they didn't name other folks. I am sure the State of La will send their auditors next. If folks read the transcript. Dumas was there when all this started. So I am sure this is his camp way of getting back at SU and Haymer. Typical SU politics. Nothing new. Hell they tried to get Doc Greggs in the end. Luckily he had the Gov and folks in the state political arena on his side. Mr Jackson retired because of the politics and such. Tough position to have. Some folks will always think the BAND has gotten to big or too popular. Was no different than when I marched. Folks on that campus were jealous of Doc's power and the popularity of the band. Always trying to catch him slipping. It's a great job. But a dangerous one. You better be on your p's and q's.
Quit trying to make excuses for Haymer. Nobody told Haymer to text his crooked requests for kickbacks.

Quit trying to make excuses for Haymer. Nobody told Haymer to text his crooked requests for kickbacks.

No excuses for him. Just telling you what I know at SU. You can believe what you want. They knew about this in 2015. Meaning SU powers that be. This is not new to them. This is just one fired guy camp trying to get his nemesis fired as well. Payback. And it don't help if he got the ammunition to do so. The problem for him is the State is has gotten involved. Chris Brown is already gone from SU. But any remaining folks named in that lawsuit is probably grass. SU will make an example out them. You just choose to focus on Haymer not reading the entire deal. SU even found no wrong doing on their initial investigation in 2015. So what does that tell you? If he did do it. They knew he did it. Or he is innocent. I aint worried one way or the other. Politics is a mofo at my Alma Mater and if the right mofos in power ie Tony Clayton and others want him gone. He will be gone. If they want him to stay, he will stay. Same as they did with Dumas. He got fired but yet he roaming the sidelines at the BC like nothing happened.

Next man up at SU. We have a plethora of cats that can lead the Jukebox. One thing for sure, it will be another Juke alum to lead if he is let go. One thing about SU, we can whether scandal better than anybody. Its not a good thing. But we know how to bounce back like nothing happened.

Lawsuit claims Southern's band director asked for kickbacks to schedule performances

A lawsuit against Southern University, its band director and a number of other campus officials claims the university's band director asked for a kickback to have the famous Southern band perform at an event.

White Enterprises of Louisiana LLC and Octagon Media sued the university asking for damages it incurred from having to pay out refunds after the band didn't show up for events.

"It was going to be for East Baton Rouge Parish school kids to come to Southern to hear the band play," Attorney for Octagon Media, Amy Newsom said.

The lawsuit alleges Nathan Haymer asked for a ten percent kickback to have the band and Dancing Dolls perform at events they scheduled.

Attorneys wrote in the lawsuit Haymer sent a text message asking to be paid: "The ten percent needs to be made payable to me so that the staff can be properly compensated. I am asking for you to hide this ten percent in your percentage charge from your business. If this cannot be done, please let me know."

When Newsom's client refused “to pay Mr. Haymer the kickback, he didn't show up to the event,"

http://www.wbrz.com/news/lawsuit-cl...-asked-for-kickbacks-to-schedule-performances

Read the lawsuit here

If Haymer was at a PWC he would be terminated, effective immediately. HBCUs must stop condoning and accepting mediocrity. smh

If Haymer was at a PWC he would be terminated, effective immediately. HBCUs must stop condoning and accepting mediocrity. smh
Terminated without due process? And please, PWCs do much worse, or have we forgotten about the large number of folks that looked the other way at Penn State, Michigan State, Baylor, and Louisville?

Back