Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel: Southern University Band Hazing

Hypocritical. How can you rep something that you feel is so evil? I don't agree that dude should have been done like that(put in ICU) but he let allowed that happen to him. I'm sure he had a choice and he paid the repercussions but still reps it? Just don't see the logic.

I hope that everyone of you all who condones hurting folks kids get it back on your kids. I hope you get to cry and see your child laid up in the hospital just like these kids parents. Your deserve it. Let's see how you love it so much then.

I saw the story. It didn't make HBCU bands look good. They were on the money when they talked about how the black fraternity/sorority culture infiltrated into the bands. Everyone knows every fraternity, sorority, band section, music fraternity, and business fraternity at HBCUs has some form of pledge process that involves hazing from one degree to another.

Hypocritical. How can you rep something that you feel is so evil? I don't agree that dude should have been done like that(put in ICU) but he let allowed that happen to him. I'm sure he had a choice and he paid the repercussions but still reps it? Just don't see the logic.

A lot of people have this logic, they would rather someone give it to them instead of working hard for it.

There inlies a problem. Not everyone that went thru what folks went thru in the past thinks that way...... You'll ALWAYS have folks that'll promote the gritty side of this issue, whether they're about to go thru it...or, went thru it 40 years ago.

Ture. True. And when the young bloods hear about our stories they think that they're suppsed to earn their stripes the same way we did. That's why whenever there's young cats around us we must let them know that's it's a different day and that type of thinking is played out. We take/took pride in what we went through. Pride is a funny thing. But like ol boy said in Pulp Fiction "..it only hurts. It never helps."

It's so many things that were wrong with the segment:

1. It wasn't fair at all, they should have had HBCU's and PWC Bands.

3. Norfolk was pitted as the Captain Sav A Hoe for Bands ....Norfolk doesn't realize it made them look very soft, they might get a lot of students just because students these days don't want to go through anything these days but they will get the lazy one's and it will water down their program.

6. Bryant Gumble is pathetic and the reporter on the story and they should be called out on it. Very poor journalism.

BTW people think it won't hurt much but some will lose recruits over this crap...:

The world ain't fair. Their focus was on us and not the PWCs. Sounds like you're mad because you and your brother both had your hands in the cookie jar but you're the one that momma decided to take the belt to.

FTFO at you calling Norfolk State the Captain Save A Hoe of Bands but at you saying that Norfolk came off as looking "very soft". I haven't seen the segment yet.....are you one of those sadist mofos?

Bryant Gumble is top rate. That show is an investigative reporting show; and a very fine one I might add. If you fell that he and HBO did such a disservice to the black community and HBCUs then i suggest that you contact them and let your feelings be known.

No HBCUs or their marching band programs will loose any recruits over that story. If someone really wants to be in a HBCU marching that story won't stop their ambition.

I cannot lie; some of your sentiments ring true to mine. "And then, there are THESE bands!!!". My mouth hit the floor. There are no words that I can use right now to truly express all that I feel about this whole thing,.... again, some of your sentiments ring true to mine....:smh:

It's so many things that were wrong with the segment:

1. It wasn't fair at all, they should have had HBCU's and PWC Bands. They seemed to downplay things happening at PWC's making it seem like they did only pranks and jokes. I paid close attention when he said that.

2. Then There are These Bands, didn't like that at all. Very racial and to make it look like HBCU bands are evil and trifling.

3. Norfolk was pitted as the Captain Sav A Hoe for Bands and i know damn well there is hazing, i will put money on that. Then they threw names out there of colleges of people they have transferring to Norfolk because they didn't want to get hazed. Norfolk doesn't realize it made them look very soft, they might get a lot of students just because students these days don't want to go through anything these days but they will get the lazy one's and it will water down their program.

4. Made HBCU Bands as a whole look like all they do is beat, beat, and beat some more. A Cult? I didn't like that one bit. Of course bands keep things in house, just like any organization does.

5. The dude that says he's been following HBCU's for a while and says HBCU Bands are the worst when it comes to hazing doesn't know what the hell he is talking about, he's just a damn pawn and i bet they ride his black azz at the PWC he works at.

6. Bryant Gumble is pathetic and the reporter on the story and they should be called out on it. Very poor journalism.

BTW, people think it won't hurt much but some will lose recruits over this crap, it's going to re air to make sure millions upon millions see this, newspapers are going to catch it, internet. Wouldn't be surprised if another network catches this and tries to go more in depth. Bad day for the black community.:upset:

Last edited:
When you think about it hazing -- no matter at what school or in what form -- is kinda cultish. I don't care if its making folks wear crazy attire or beating them with bats, bottles or wooden paddles.

I can remember that week like it was yesterday. I blame both sides, the hazers and hazees, equally. The hazees were constantly told to report any instances of hazing and to not be tricked into doing that mess, and the hazers were told about the consequences of doing that stuff. Both sides decided to go off-campus and do that foolishness, and the hazees let them do that to them. I can still remember seeing that dude at practice the day after the "incident" and seeing him in a distressed state. When me and a friend asked him was he okay, he said he was feeling sick and had the flu. Little did I know what really happened. After taking that beating, he tried to come to band practice and hide his injuries instead of coming clean to the people in power that could have helped him. It was an unfortunate incident, but the participants helped demonstrate what could happen with that hazing mess, something that they were constantly warned about by the directors. Nobody thinks it will happen to them until it actually happens. It was unfortunate, but necessary to bring about some sweeping changes to change the culture of our bands.

The show most definitely should have done an update on the different situations to show the consequences that their actions caused both themselves and the band programs themselves and the changes that were brought about. As a member of the band during the time of that incident, I don't have a problem with them examining the issue, but do it right. You can't leave out big portions of the stories and pass it off as "years of research." It's not going to hurt our recruiting because it happened 2 years ago, and many changes have been made since then.

The students involved deserved every bit of press they got, but I hated that our class had to go out with that incident. It's effect was far reaching, because I was questioned about it on some job interviews.

Last edited:

This ain't about the black vote or about whats more important in the real world. This is about Bryant Gumbel, the sports world, everything that surrounds it, and finding that story that will make people that know nothing about these HBCU show bands go OH MY!! It's not shocking that a guy that knows the Baton Rouge region and SU would do a story like this with the BC comming up. Not to mention, ESPN has an entire show about the battle behind the game about BCC and FAMU bands comming up.

It is what it is.
Bryant Gumbel know this is an off beat story that his talk show sports fan base will watch with amazement. They know all about the HBCU bands but how many actually know the shat that go on in those bands from season beginning to season end. This show is basically a ratings pull in a down week before rival weekend and the start of the championship game and bowl season.
I mean its true... How can some of you get salty over a story that is true yet informative to some... I promise you that he wouldn't have touched this story if he knew there was no validity to it.

Just as hazing has hurt other Black orgs financially and from an image standpoint, if this is not reigned in, it could hurt our schools likewise. Those who perpetrate or support this culture care more about abusing folks than supporting our schools. At a time when enrollment is down at many of our schools and we are facing state budget cuts, we can not afford the negative attention associated with this type of activity.

Regarding comments about the newsworthiness of the topic - for those making this assertion, you must have never watched real sports. The show LOOKS for non-mainstream sports stories with a human interest angle. And they will do updates, so we need to be proactive.

What can you expect from a culture that sees the hardcore thuggish lifestyle as a norm in society.

We need to stop blaming everyone but ourselves.

- It's not the hazees faults.
- It's not the Media's fault.
- It's not Bryant Gumbel's fault.

- It's also not "From the old school" (I crabbed in 1978 and I NEVER saw anything like I heard about in the HBO story. And I can get dozens of people from those days to come on here and say the same thing.)
- It's also not "necessary" to keep your band from being soft. (Somebody in this thread actually said that!!! Stupidest shat I ever heard in my life!)

The band is about dedication, musicianship, and having fun. You can do all of that without hitting folks. I ain't never seen a$$-strokes and body blows in a method book.

This hazing is pathological, inexcusable, massa/slave mentality shullbit and it has to stop or there won't be any HBCU bands.

Last edited:
"It felt good. It's like a vampire looking for blood....It's a competition thing."

Yep, blame HBO for that statement.

Basic point ....

if WE talking about it (in house, family), it's fine.

As soon as an outsider gets it, WE lose our minds.

As a Jaguar alum who was not in the band, it makes no sense to do that to a student OR allow someone to do that to you. I wish a muthafugga would have tried that sh-t with me, but some people feel like that they HAVE to be apart of something or their not complete. That's their right, but they should be smart enough to know where to draw the line so for anyone who is pissed at the report, I don't see why.

Unfortunately, the actions that were depicted weren't a lie .... just not what we (as HBCU alums) wanted others to see.

We need to stop blaming everyone but ourselves.

- It's not the hazees faults.
- It's not the Media's fault.
- It's not Bryant Gumbel's fault.

- It's also not "From the old school" (I crabbed in 1978 and I NEVER saw anything like I heard about in the HBO story. And I can get dozens of people from those days to come on here and say the same thing.)
- It's also not "necessary" to keep your band from being soft. (Somebody in this thread actually said that!!! Stupidest shat I ever heard in my life!)

The band is about dedication, musicianship, and having fun. You can do all of that without hitting folks. I ain't never seen a$$-strokes and body blows in a method book.

This hazing is pathological, inexcusable, massa/slave mentality shullbit and it has to stop or there won't be any HBCU bands.

Agrees with Frat on this was just sick.........now I will say this. I came in 1984. We were still all male back then. I never and I repeat I never left the campus with any group of upperclassmen during my Freshmen year. I feel the kids who did it are absolutely to blame. But I can't excuse those kids who went with those cats knowing what the band staff and others had said not to do. Knowing that not all their fellow crab brothers in that section even went way off campus to do this horrific crap. All folks involved are to blame. The ones who enticed the kids to join this so called F-horn frat. And the kids who disobeyed the direct orders to not go. If this was the military and your arse went off base and got beat up when told not to.......once you recovered.......guess what's going to happen to you. It has to be equal consequences and reprecussions on both sides. Now I do not condone this hazing stuff. But the Freshmen got to be smarter than this. If we were........how come they are not. You couldn't pay us to leave campus for something like that in 84. Of course non of our sections were deemed FRAT like either back then. We all had our individual section foolishness but nothing no where near this level. I am still trying to figure out when did folks start taking wood in the band? It has to be a better way.

Back