Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel: Southern University Band Hazing

WHAT WOULD HE KNOW ABOUT HBCU'S AND THEIR COUNTERPARTS WITH HIS WANNA BE WHITEY A**

He's just the host.....it doesn't matter what you may perceived to what he knows. They are doing the story on the incident that occured.

Aren't they from New Orleans?

They are from New Orleans. Also, Bryant's first wife June Baranco was from Baton Rouge. Their marriage ended in an ugly divorce, which left some bitter feelings with some folks in Baton Rouge. June is Dr. Raymond Baranco's granddaughter, which Southern's Infirmary is named after.

Last edited:
He's just the host.....it doesn't matter what you may perceived to what he knows. They are doing the story on the incident that occured.

This event occured when? Since this event has occured many other things have taken place in this country such as the lack of the black vote during the November 2nd elections. That's more newsworthy to me.

This event occured when? Since this event has occured many other things have taken place in this country such as the lack of the black vote during the November 2nd elections. That's more newsworthy to me.

This ain't about the black vote or about whats more important in the real world. This is about Bryant Gumbel, the sports world, everything that surrounds it, and finding that story that will make people that know nothing about these HBCU show bands go OH MY!! It's not shocking that a guy that knows the Baton Rouge region and SU would do a story like this with the BC comming up. Not to mention, ESPN has an entire show about the battle behind the game about BCC and FAMU bands comming up.

It is what it is.
Bryant Gumbel know this is an off beat story that his talk show sports fan base will watch with amazement. They know all about the HBCU bands but how many actually know the shat that go on in those bands from season beginning to season end. This show is basically a ratings pull in a down week before rival weekend and the start of the championship game and bowl season.

Last edited:

Well, don't watch it then.

Hell can't get mad at dude, keep your noses clean and things in house and you will never be in the news. Simple as that. SU isn't the only band that has been in the news for hazing also, the only thing i will complain about is being more fair and not singling out one. He could have showcased a HBCU and PWC because hazing happens at both but o well it happened.

Last edited:
This ain't about the black vote or about whats more important in the real world. This is about Bryant Gumbel, the sports world, everything that surrounds it, and finding that story that will make people that know nothing about these HBCU show bands go OH MY!! It's not shocking that a guy that knows the Baton Rouge region and SU would do a story like this with the BC comming up. Not to mention, ESPN has an entire show about the battle behind the game about BCC and FAMU bands comming up.

It is what it is.
Bryant Gumbel know this is an off beat story that his talk show sports fan base will watch with amazement. They know all about the HBCU bands but how many actually know the shat that go on in those bands from season beginning to season end. This show is basically a ratings pull in a down week before rival weekend and the start of the championship game and bowl season.

And the annual BC game that has New Orleans filled with black people to see the schools football teams and bands.

It is what it is.
But yet folk on here really believe the national media care more about HBCU football than Band...

:lol:

Those who don't know any better may think that sound crazy... but like you said.. "it is what it is"... HBCU's bands are more important to ESPN and all other national sports media than football...

:tup:

Hell can't get mad at dude, keep your noses clean and things in house and you will never be in the news. Simple as that. SU isn't the only band that has been in the news for hazing also, the only thing i will complain about is being more fair and not singling out one. He could have showcased a HBCU and PWC because hazing happens at both but o well it happened.

Don't take that stance when hazing is way more common in these PWCs brah.... And it there are schools in the SWAC that don't get talked about have more of a problem with hazing than SU does... Not tossing no stones but GSU nises ain't clean especially since we are talking about something that happened in the "past"...

Don't take that stance when hazing is way more common in these PWCs brah.... And it there are schools in the SWAC that don't get talked about have more of a problem with hazing than SU does... Not tossing no stones but GSU nises ain't clean especially since we are talking about something that happened in the "past"...

Where did i say our noses are clean in my post? Of course all organizations have problems but some have the same thing recourring every other year. I actually think they should have showed PWC's also not just SU.

Where did i say our noses are clean in my post? Of course all organizations have problems but some have the same thing recourring every other year. I actually think they should have showed PWC's also not just SU.

If my information is correct, other HBCU bands will be included this "story"

If my information is correct, other HBCU bands will be included this "story"

SU must be the biggest name out of all the others that will be included in the documentary so i guess that's why they are being previewed more. That's how the media works.

Why everybody wanna get mad at Bryant Gumbel and every other thing but hazing.

If we handled our business and STOMPED IT OUT, there wouldn't be anything to talk about. That shat is out of control and the programs/perpetrators deserve every bit of bad pub they get because of it.

And yes, I love my Jukebox/Jags until I die but wrong is wrong.

Why everybody wanna get mad at Bryant Gumbel and every other thing but hazing.

If we handled our business and STOMPED IT OUT, there wouldn't be anything to talk about. That shat is out of control and the programs/perpetrators deserve every bit of bad pub they get because of it.

And yes, I love my Jukebox/Jags until I die but wrong is wrong.

So true.

Real Sports is like the alternative to what ESPN is. They cover and investigate stories that actually matter. Not sensationalize everything as either the greatest or worst. Real Sports used a hidden camera to document slavery and torture in secret desert camps where boys under the age of five were trained to race camels. A few years ago they documented the problem of NFL fan drunkenness during game days.

They have done a great job on the head injury issue, the Dallas Cowboys practice facility collapse, a notable male sports journalist who in the in the process of becoming a woman;and how the Florida Marlins stadium could be bilking tax payers out of millions of dollars. You think ESPN would risk their relationship with sports leagues by covering similar topics?

While we might know about the SU band hazing (because of our proximity to HBCUs and our vested interest in them) not everyone else across the country does. That's why to them it is important I suppose.

Back