Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel: Southern University Band Hazing

Real Sports is like the alternative to what ESPN is. They cover and investigate stories that actually matter. Not sensationalize everything as either the greatest or worst. Real Sports used a hidden camera to document slavery and torture in secret desert camps where boys under the age of five were trained to race camels. A few years ago they documented the problem of NFL fan drunkenness during game days.

They have done a great job on the head injury issue, the Dallas Cowboys practice facility collapse, a notable male sports journalist who in the in the process of becoming a woman;and how the Florida Marlins stadium could be bilking tax payers out of millions of dollars. You think ESPN would risk their relationship with sports leagues by covering similar topics?

While we might know about the SU band hazing (because of our proximity to HBCUs and our vested interest in them) not everyone else across the country does. That's why to them it is important I suppose.

Along with HBCU Bands sparking interest, can't get around that. It would not be that interesting looking at LaTech's Band or BYU's band in a hazing documentary. lol

I'm not commenting on SU's marching band hazing exploits. I'm commenting on the philosophy behind Real Sports presenting this particular story. That's a difference.

It's still about band. It's just a show that normally covers sports that's doing a story on a band. No matter how you slice it it's still about band. lol

It's still about band. It's just a show that normally covers sports that's doing a story on a band. No matter how you slice it it's still about band. lol

Isn't the band -- at least in the college athletic world -- a major part of the NCAA identity? So to say that Real Sports is doing something outside of the norm (for them) by telling the tale of the SU band hazing situation is not the correct assesment to make if one was/is a regular viwer of the show.

They look for the abnormal, abstract or the irregular. Real Sports covers all aspects of sport that few tackle.

Is doing a story about bands or band hazing the norm per se in the mainstream? Nope. But this particular case fits what Real Sports is all about. It's very normal for them.

Damn a band student had to beat yo azz, took your lunch money or something. Damn do you even like HBCU's? lol

What does me liking HBCUs have to do with me enjoying or not enjoying marching bands? I have just never been a big fan of bands at all in my life.

High schools or colleges. HBCUs or BCS. Have I been intrigued by bands at certain points? Yes I have. But after awhile to me its like white noise. Really loud, confusing and annoying white noise.

Also I recently found out my estranged father was in the Valley marching band in the 1980s. That might have something to do with my disdain for this particular sect in our society.

Isn't the band -- at least in the college athletic world -- a major part of the NCAA identity? So to say that Real Sports is doing something outside of the norm (for them) by telling the tale of the SU band hazing situation is not the correct assesment to make if one was/is a regular viwer of the show.

They look for the abnormal, abstract or the irregular. Real Sports covers all aspects of sport that few tackle.

Is doing a story about bands or band hazing the norm per se in the mainstream? Nope. But this particular case fits what Real Sports is all about. It's very normal for them.

Talking about bands is totally outside of the NORM for MAJOR sport networks..... They talk about HBCU band more than any other bands... There is a reason for that... That reason is they deem HBCU bands to be more of an importance than HBCU sports..

That's the reason for this show.. not that ill-inform view you gave up there some where...

What does me liking HBCUs have to do with me enjoying or not enjoying marching bands? I have just never been a big fan of bands at all in my life.

High schools or colleges. HBCUs or BCS. Have I been intrigued by bands at certain points? Yes I have. But after awhile to me its like white noise. Really loud, confusing and annoying white noise.

Also I recently found out my estranged father was in the Valley marching band in the 1980s. That might have something to do with my disdain for this particular sect in our society.

I take it that you really don't have an appreciation for music at all..... Don't come back and say that you do.. cause from reading most of your post.. Im telling you that you don't.

:tup:

Bands can exist without the NCAA so that is a very weak argument which makes the rest of what you said moot.

This ain't about the black vote or about whats more important in the real world. This is about Bryant Gumbel, the sports world, everything that surrounds it, and finding that story that will make people that know nothing about these HBCU show bands go OH MY!! It's not shocking that a guy that knows the Baton Rouge region and SU would do a story like this with the BC comming up. Not to mention, ESPN has an entire show about the battle behind the game about BCC and FAMU bands comming up.

It is what it is.
Bryant Gumbel know this is an off beat story that his talk show sports fan base will watch with amazement. They know all about the HBCU bands but how many actually know the shat that go on in those bands from season beginning to season end. This show is basically a ratings pull in a down week before rival weekend and the start of the championship game and bowl season.

You missed the intent of my post. At any rate, this is not newsworthy to merit an HBO special.

You missed the intent of my post. At any rate, this is not newsworthy to merit an HBO special.

It's Bryant Gumbels show that is on HBO. It is not an HBO SPECIAL. Bryant Gumblel is free to pick ANY subject he want too. HBO don't have anything to do with the content of Bryant Gumbels Show. As for not being newsworthy, 95% of the so called "news breaks/stories" don't merrit the attention they get. This just hits home because it is about something you know and been around in one way or another.

Case in point. :lol:
Tony Parker divorcing his Desperate Housewife. That shat was on every news cast including World News on all 3 channels. WHY? :lol:

Last edited:
Talking about bands is totally outside of the NORM for MAJOR sport networks..... They talk about HBCU band more than any other bands... There is a reason for that... That reason is they deem HBCU bands to be more of an importance than HBCU sports..

That's the reason for this show.. not that ill-inform view you gave up there some where...

1. The reason ESPN and other networks probably focus on the band is because HBCU athletics as a whole has not always restaurant quality.

Real Sports is documenting an uncommon story within the sports world. It's not common, no matter who you ask, to find out that band hazing gets to the point where local authorities have to get involved.

I take it that you really don't have an appreciation for music at all..... Don't come back and say that you do.. cause from reading most of your post.. Im telling you that you don't.

Right now quality music -- at least in the mainstream -- circuit is really unbecoming. There are a couple of artists out there I respect and enjoy, but its few and far between. There are a lot of people who don't embrace rap, hip-hop or heavy metal or country music. Does that mean those people don't appreciate music at all?

You must be one of the people who believes their vote doesn't count. Didn't mean to single you out.

I wouldn't say don't count more so than taken for granted.

Last edited:

Bands can exist without the NCAA so that is a very weak argument which makes the rest of what you said moot.

I never said bands couldn't exist without the NCAA. Where in my post did I directly say or intimate that? I think your point might be moot, bro.

Band hazing is not uncommon, i don't know what rock you have been under, you and others are just out of touch. PWC and HBCU bands stay in the news about hazing. Happens every year. If one's head stays above the clouds they would know this and wouldn't be so fascinated with it.

Last edited:
I never said bands couldn't exist without the NCAA. Where in my post did I directly say or intimate that? I think your point might be moot, bro.

"Isn't the band -- at least in the college athletic world -- a major part of the NCAA identity?"

Is that not your statement?

1. The reason ESPN and other networks probably focus on the band is because HBCU athletics as a whole has not always restaurant quality.

Real Sports is documenting an uncommon story within the sports world. It's not common, no matter who you ask, to find out that band hazing gets to the point where local authorities have to get involved.

Right now quality music -- at least in the mainstream -- circuit is really unbecoming. There are a couple of artists out there I respect and enjoy, but its few and far between. There are a lot of people who don't embrace rap, hip-hop or heavy metal or country music. Does that mean those people don't appreciate music at all?

I wouldn't say don't count more so than taken for granted.

You are a real out of touch young brother... Hazing and having the authorities involved UN Common?!?!

:retard:

You are a real out of touch young brother... Hazing and having the authorities involved UN Common?!?!

:retard:

Compared to other acts of discretion on college campuses it is uncommon. Hazing itself is not uncommon. But hazing and law enforcement being involved is uncommon when you also factor in the band angle.

"Isn't the band -- at least in the college athletic world -- a major part of the NCAA identity?"

Is that not your statement?

I wrote that. However, what does that have to do with bands existing or not existing without the NCAA?

Band hazing is not uncommon, i don't know what rock you have been under, you and others are just out of touch. PWC and HBCU bands stay in the news about hazing. Happens every year. If one's head stays above the clouds they would know this and wouldn't be so fascinated with it.

Man, we live in country where there are no limits to fascination. We love to hash, rehash and rehash until every last angle has been examined. A lot of stuff happens "every year" or regularly, but that doesn't mean the fascination or intrigue wears off for the general populous. And that doesn't mean everyone on the planet has familiarity with that event either.

The 1985 Bears won the Super Bowl 25 years go, but the fascination of that season and those individual players never ceases. People get murdered and raped every year in huge numbers, but the fascination in reading, watching or studying those events never wears off. I guess folks should quit paying attention to it because its old news?

So the next time a teenager gets shot in the head in the middle of gang crossfire people should ignore because that type of event has been a common occurrence, right? We should only discuss something X number of times and that's it?

Compared to other acts of discretion on college campuses it is uncommon. Hazing itself is not uncommon. But hazing and law enforcement being involved is uncommon when you also factor in the band angle.

I wrote that. However, what does that have to do with bands existing or not existing without the NCAA?

Man, we live in country where there are no limits to fascination. We love to hash, rehash and rehash until every last angle has been examined. A lot of stuff happens "every year" or regularly, but that doesn't mean the fascination or intrigue wears off for the general populous. And that doesn't mean everyone on the planet has familiarity with that event either.

The 1985 Bears won the Super Bowl 25 years go, but the fascination of that season and those individual players never ceases. People get murdered and raped every year in huge numbers, but the fascination in reading, watching or studying those events never wears off. I guess folks should quit paying attention to it because its old news?

So the next time a teenager gets shot in the head in the middle of gang crossfire people should ignore because that type of event has been a common occurrence, right? We should only discuss something X number of times and that's it?

Reread you quote in the context that you put it in and think about it. The NCAA's identity has nothing to do with band as vice versa which makes your argument weak and your connection of band and the NCAA moot. Maybe you should take a critical thinking class cause you don't even understand your ideas. lol

It's a TV show, it's comming on, it will be shown, so people get over it.
Ain't like its the end of the world. Ain't like everybody know about us or our bands. The HBCU sports market on a national viewing and interest level is very, very, small. A lot of ya'll don't realize or understand just how small it is. :smh:

It's a TV show, it's comming on, it will be shown, so people get over it.
Ain't like its the end of the world. Ain't like everybody know about us or our bands. The HBCU sports market on a national viewing and interest level is very, very, small. A lot of ya'll don't realize or understand just how small it is. :smh:

Which is why there is nothing wrong with HBO Real Sports covering this story. Thank you, bro. Thank you. That is what Real Sports does. They Cover stories or issues that general public at large might not be aware of or privy to.

They may not know about some of YALLs bands.. but more people in the world know about SU and GSU band than any of our sports programs..

Back