Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel: Southern University Band Hazing

It's Bryant Gumbels show that is on HBO. It is not an HBO SPECIAL. Bryant Gumblel is free to pick ANY subject he want too. HBO don't have anything to do with the content of Bryant Gumbels Show. As for not being newsworthy, 95% of the so called "news breaks/stories" don't merrit the attention they get. This just hits home because it is about something you know and been around in one way or another.

Case in point. :lol:
Tony Parker divorcing his Desperate Housewife. That shat was on every news cast including World News on all 3 channels. WHY? :lol:

Okay, so why didn't he do a special on JSU a season or two ago when they had hazing issues?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-uwjU_ZHDLA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-uwjU_ZHDLA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This dude is telling some stuff. Man!!!!

Okay, so why didn't he do a special on JSU a season or two ago when they had hazing issues?

Because JSU didn't have an incident that sent 4 band members to the hospital and 7 other to jail the night before a nationally Televised HBCU Football Classic known as the Bayou Classic. A game where the National Media pumps the bands up as much as the football game showing scenes from the sold out Superdome Battle of the Bands and Greek Step Show the night before..

If ya'll would stop being so upset over the fact that it's SU being spotlighted, you can see why. If that shat had happened to GRAM band the day before the Bayou Classic, he would have Grams band front and center instead of SU's band.

He can do a special on JSU band and have the members that got hazed in the interview for all I care. I'm not gonna get worked up over a nothing like that anyway. The Sonic Boom world would not come to an end because Bryant Gumbel did a hazing story on it. :lol:

Last edited:
Because JSU didn't have an incident that sent 4 band members to the hospital and 7 other to jail the night before a nationally Televised HBCU Football Classic known as the Bayou Classic. A game where the National Media pumps the bands up as much as the football game showing scenes from the sold out Superdome Battle of the Bands and Greek Step Show the night before..

If ya'll would stop being so upset over the fact that it's SU being spotlighted, you can see why. If that shat had happened to GRAM band the day before the Bayou Classic, he would have Grams band front and center instead of SU's band.

He can do a special on JSU band and have the members that got hazed in the interview for all I care. I'm not gonna get worked up over a nothing like that anyway. The Sonic Boom world would not come to an end because Bryant Gumbel did a hazing story on it. :lol:

Dude please. If you're going to try to start throwing ish out there at least have your facts straight. Everything you stated above is incorrect.

Dude please. If you're going to try to start throwing ish out there at least have your facts straight. Everything you stated above is incorrect.

AW...........To hell with this shat. :smh:
Fugg this shat. Fugg SU band. Fugg Bryant Gumbel and his story. Fugg the Bayou Classic.
No matter what someone say trying to explain how much of a nothing this crap is, ya'll SU posters are gonna come in acting like SU Band just got zipped for life.

WHO GAS.
Watch it or don't watch it.
Understand or don't understand. Act like its so freaking hard to get a grip on whats going on with a fugging Bryant Gumbel story about SU band hazing the week of the freaking BC. Good lord. Ya'll act like the world is gonna end everytime someone say JUKEBOX and don't add a kiss tro the azz along with it. :smh:

Last edited:
AW...........To hell with this shat. :smh:
Fugg this shat. Fugg SU band. Fugg Bryant Gumbel and his story. Fugg the Bayou Classic.
No matter what someone say trying to explain how much of a nothing this crap is, ya'll SU posters are gonna come in acting like SU Band just got zipped for life.

WHO GAS.
Watch it or don't watch it.
Understand or don't understand. Act like its so freaking hard to get a grip on whats going on with a fugging Bryant Gumbel story about SU band hazing the week of the freaking BC. Good lord. Ya'll act like the world is gonna end everytime someone say JUKEBOX and don't add a kiss tro the azz along with it. :smh:

You do know zipped is an SU term right. Furthermore why you getting mad and this doesn't even concern your school? S.A.N.

You do know zipped is an SU term right. Furthermore why you getting mad and this doesn't even concern your school? S.A.N.

Like I said.
Go on and post all your usual "Mad" drival but the bottom line is I don't GAS one way or another. NEVER DID. People on here was just trying to explain to your silly azz how much of a nothing story this is. Now I don't give a shat if they roast SU's band.

Ya'll problem and nobody elses.
Have fun watching the FREE PRESS SU get Tuesday night. :wavey:

Like I said.
Go on and post all your usual "Mad" drival but the bottom line is I don't GAS one way or another. NEVER DID. People on here was just trying to explain to your silly azz how much of a nothing story this is. Now I don't give a shat if they roast SU's band.

Ya'll problem and nobody elses.
Have fun watching the FREE PRESS SU get Tuesday night. :wavey:

Dude please you're like a stalker ex-girlfriend that don't care what you doing, but always in the man business. If you didn't care then why respond? I know what Real Sports is. It's been on for over 10 years. So what's your dog in this fight? S.A.N.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-uwjU_ZHDLA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-uwjU_ZHDLA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This dude is telling some stuff. Man!!!!

It's always gonna be sick sadist mofos like him out there. we gotta weed people like him out of our bands. what he suffers from is what i call "The Dead ****** Syndrome". Thinking that getting your ass beat builds character is some dead ****** bs. People we gotta educate these young bloods and let then know that the way we came up was fu3ked up. We gotta let them know that they can't continue to perpetuate our same mistakes. now what?

Who cares about the details of the event, it was still labled as HAZING right? When this stuff first happened, I was glad they caught these fools and the media coverage was warranted THEN! This is whole new year and the kids in the SU band don't deserve this negative spotlight. All they have down was out shine the rest of the SWAC bands including jsu. I'm more upset black people didn't dispaly their civic duty to go out and cast their vote on November 2nd. As usual, that flew over your head due to your HATE for SU.

:lol::lol:

this thread is stupid!!! :lol::lol:

I was wondering how long it would take you JState to say "Fugg everybody"!!! :clap::clap::lol::lol::lol:

People we gotta educate these young bloods and let then know that the way we came up was fu3ked up.

There inlies a problem. Not everyone that went thru what folks went thru in the past thinks that way. And, that's not just bands and the band world. You'll ALWAYS have folks that'll promote the gritty side of this issue, whether they're about to go thru it...or, went thru it 40 years ago.

I watched the show....and saw exactly what I expected to see...one hell of a spin in the negative direction....I also read some of yall's post earlier and even find offense in some of them, especially the one that said why was someone from J-State worried about the special cause it wasn't about their school...well that is what bothers me more than anything else...Most of the show showed the Jukebox, with glimpses of FAM, the Boom, Norfolk, AA&M, etc., but he basically called our whole culture and our whole product a CULT....he defamed the character of all of us, not just SU, but our entire Family....see that is why that statement about you shouldn't worry about it, it wasn't your school don't fly with me.....we all in this boat together, and weather yall realize it or even want to realize it, we are gonna all either sank or float together....

Hazing is wrong when it is to that level, and is a story that needs to be told....but when you put the spin on it that they did, and not to follow up with an update, being that the story in question happened years ago, was absolute BS.

By telling the story you bring attention to the problem...ok...good...
by not following up on the story's progress over time leads those on the outside to think that it is still business as usual. It makes these new crop of STUDENT/Musicians look like they are still involved in some sort of criminal activity....

and once again...he didn't just say SU.... He said that this is how things are done in all HBCU bands....

to me that is poor journalism....

It's so many things that were wrong with the segment:

1. It wasn't fair at all, they should have had HBCU's and PWC Bands. They seemed to downplay things happening at PWC's making it seem like they did only pranks and jokes. I paid close attention when he said that.

2. Then There are These Bands, didn't like that at all. Very racial and to make it look like HBCU bands are evil and trifling.

3. Norfolk was pitted as the Captain Sav A Hoe for Bands and i know damn well there is hazing, i will put money on that. Then they threw names out there of colleges of people they have transferring to Norfolk because they didn't want to get hazed. Norfolk doesn't realize it made them look very soft, they might get a lot of students just because students these days don't want to go through anything these days but they will get the lazy one's and it will water down their program.

4. Made HBCU Bands as a whole look like all they do is beat, beat, and beat some more. A Cult? I didn't like that one bit. Of course bands keep things in house, just like any organization does.

5. The dude that says he's been following HBCU's for a while and says HBCU Bands are the worst when it comes to hazing doesn't know what the hell he is talking about, he's just a damn pawn and i bet they ride his black azz at the PWC he works at.

6. Bryant Gumble is pathetic and the reporter on the story and they should be called out on it. Very poor journalism.

BTW, people think it won't hurt much but some will lose recruits over this crap, it's going to re air to make sure millions upon millions see this, newspapers are going to catch it, internet. Wouldn't be surprised if another network catches this and tries to go more in depth. Bad day for the black community.:upset:

It's so many things that were wrong with the segment:

2. Then There are These Bands, didn't like that at all. Very racial and to make it look like HBCU bands are evil and trifling.

BTW, people think it won't hurt much but some will lose recruits over this crap, it's going to re air to make sure millions upon millions see this, newspapers are going to catch it, internet. Wouldn't be surprised if another network catches this and tries to go more in depth. Bad day for the black community.:upset:

You completely missed what Frank Deford was saying in the voice over when making the "these bands" statement. I saw that clip. He was not being racially insensitive or trying to make SU's band or HBCU bands in general appear "evil" and "trifling" with the comment.

He was making a comparison between your standard college band and HBCU marching bands in terms of showmanship during halftime performances. Deford followed up the "these bands" statement by saying, "In the south, they say you haven't really lived until you seen this!" Again, in reference to the showmanship displayed by HBCU marching bands.

It appears that you were looking for something to be angry at. :lol:

At the end of the day nobody is really going to care about this story at all even if it airs on HBO 20 million times. It doesn't impact people. Nobody died. No dogs were killed. It's not an epidemic where the government or local law officials need to get involved in.

Will this piece hurt the reputation of the marching band? A little I suppose, but it sure ain't hurt NBC's promotion of the Bayou Classic. During the Notre Dame game last week the network suits were hyping up the halftime show like it was the Iron Bowl or something.

HBCU bands will still be as popular even with the Real Sports feature out.

Oh, and Real Sports doing a feature on the unfortunate cases of hazing in HBCU bands is not a sad day in the black community. There are far worse things that could be put in that category.

Your anger should be directed at those kids who participated in those heinous activities. They are the people who made HBCU bands and SUs marching band look evil and trifling. Those kids -- through their actions -- opened up the door for this story to be told.

You completely missed what Frank Deford was saying in the voice over when making the "these bands" statement. I saw that clip. He was not being racially insensitive or trying to make SU's band or HBCU bands in general appear "evil" and "trifling" with the comment.

He was making a comparison between your standard college band and HBCU marching bands in terms of showmanship during halftime performances. Deford followed up the "these bands" statement by saying, "In the south, they say you haven't really lived until you seen this!" Again, in reference to the showmanship displayed by HBCU marching bands.

At the end of the day nobody is really going to care about this story at all even if it airs on HBO 20 million times. It doesn't impact people. Nobody died. No dogs were killed. It's not an epidemic where the government or local law officials need to get involved in.

Will this piece hurt the reputation of the marching band? A little I suppose, but it sure ain't hurt NBC's promotion of the Bayou Classic. During the Notre Dame game last week the network suits were hyping up the halftime show like it was the Iron Bowl or something.

Oh, and Real Sports doing a feature on the unfortunate cases of hazing in HBCU bands is not a sad day in the black community. There are far worse things that could be put in that category.

Your anger should be directed at those kids who participated in those heinous activities. They are the people who made HBCU bands and SUs marching band look evil and trifling. Those kids -- through their actions -- opened up the door for this story to be told.

:tup:

Why everybody wanna get mad at Bryant Gumbel and every other thing but hazing.

If we handled our business and STOMPED IT OUT, there wouldn't be anything to talk about. That shat is out of control and the programs/perpetrators deserve every bit of bad pub they get because of it.

And yes, I love my Jukebox/Jags until I die but wrong is wrong.

Cosign on both of these posts!! :tup:

yeah Norfolk is a savior type band. Yeah right!!! that was a lie. But Seeing that kid in that hospital was a terrible sight. No kid signs up for band to get put on a ventilator. That was a damn shame at the sight of that kid. And whether it goes on at SU, JSU, or whereever that should not have happened.

i read somebody status on facebook that said that a crab knows what they getting into. im sorry no one is signing up to be put on a ventilator

I missed the special...I guess I'll see it eventually, no biggie.

But for all of you that are upset about things said in the "special" or feel that it was not truthful then make it YOUR responsibility to get out there and tell the truth about your band.

Talking about it on TSPN is not doing anything. There is a parent/child somewhere that watched that and now thinks they know all there is to know about Black college marching bands.

Go meet with local high school band students and discuss what REALLY goes on when you are a freshman trying to get a spot in your marching band. Be honest. Let them know that as a freshman you don't know anything and your job is to learn and get on the level of the best upperclassman in that section. But also explain that hazing is illegal and that unfortunately some people always think they can get away with it and eventually they get caught. Explain that it happens EVERYWHERE and the parties involved are now getting arrested and/or expelled from school. Stress that there is not one band director on staff that will risk losing his/her job to turn a blind-eye to hazing going on in the program. But again...stress the fact that becoming a member of the marching band is not a cake-walk. And it shouldn't be a cake-walk.

If you are doing your job as an Alumni then that other stuff won't matter...

Just my opinion

But for all of you that are upset about things said in the "special" or feel that it was not truthful then make it YOUR responsibility to get out there and tell the truth about your band.

Talking about it on TSPN is not doing anything. There is a parent/child somewhere that watched that and now thinks they know all there is to know about Black college marching bands.

Go meet with local high school band students and discuss what REALLY goes on when you are a freshman trying to get a spot in your marching band. Be honest. Let them know that as a freshman you don't know anything and your job is to learn and get on the level of the best upperclassman in that section. But also explain that hazing is illegal and that unfortunately some people always think they can get away with it and eventually they get caught. Explain that it happens EVERYWHERE and the parties involved are now getting arrested and/or expelled from school. Stress that there is not one band director on staff that will risk losing his/her job to turn a blind-eye to hazing going on in the program. But again...stress the fact that becoming a member of the marching band is not a cake-walk. And it shouldn't be a cake-walk.

Just my opinion

Great post! Finally a post with a plan of actions!!! i love it

If this broadcasting SAVE LIFES, PREVENT INJURIES, WAKE up this GENERATION on how SERIOUS the AFTER EFFECTS can be on one's LIFE, EDUCATION, CAREER ETC I Could care least if its a HBCU or PWC. Now I agree with alot of you guys when something like this happens HBCU etc are the first to be spot lighted but WHY be shocked, this has been going on for years now. Take this show as a dedication to our young men and women at HBCU's to WAKE UP. And if we TRU Oldheads think back during our time know things was crazy. Just imagine how things are now! Its more on a GANG TYPE relationship now.

Just my opinion

Well said. And you have to be careful what alumni you let speak to the future because sometimes they are the ones who add fuel to the fire. My alma mater is no different. No one can date back to when you were "made" in the band, so it all becomes folklore and stories and those stories that many have made up, this new generation tries to recreate those moments, and that is when it is realized that whoever shared that story, possibly exaggerated it, and now you have a kid that is fighting for his life. Sometimes I regret doing what I did to join the band. But it was my choice. But my family sent me to college with one quote: "You know what you will and will not do. And whatever you decide, the decision is yours and nobody elses". That quote touched every facet of my life from finishing school to being hazed. It was a choice.
This may not be the topic for this particular statement, but I hate it when I was section leader and I know your story of making this band and you chose not to go through the process layed out, but 3 years later I come down to homecoming, and you are the biggest hazer ever. That is the part that I really don't understand. As a section leader I made the final decision on what was done (physically), but no one was too big for the day to day training for my band. That included old heads as well. No caking in the french horn section. You knew your music and your were conditioned to make it through a halftime show without falling out. The "extracurricular" was all choice. I made sure of that.

yeah Norfolk is a savior type band. Yeah right!!! that was a lie. But Seeing that kid in that hospital was a terrible sight. No kid signs up for band to get put on a ventilator. That was a damn shame at the sight of that kid. And whether it goes on at SU, JSU, or whereever that should not have happened.

i read somebody status on facebook that said that a crab knows what they getting into. im sorry no one is signing up to be put on a ventilator

Here is the "victim" reppin in 2010.
http://api.ning.com/files/PmF3ZvebE...dGXj-WQW*zdc6IpgWSa5RHr4YqjBXiaiL50/clear.jpg

I do not agree with what happened to the dude, but I don't see anything right about this picture.

Back