Prayers for the FAMU/Marching 100

What you fail to realize is that everyone has a CHOICE. If you do not want to be hazed then don't participate. It is that simple. He knew what he was signing up for. Some people do not mature as they grow but it does not take maturity to know THIS IS WRONG. You signed a paper (and had it notarized) that you would not do this activity. Is it tragic he is dead? DEFINITELY. But some of these statements in this thread are propostorous. As far as hazing goes, I do not condone any physical activity where you put your hands on someone else's child. If my son decides to pledge and does some dumb shit it is his fault. I'm sorry, I can't just ignore the fact that he knows right from wrong and left from right. The victim is not completely innocent because he CHOSE to participate and do this dumb shit...

Have a choice? What choice is that? To not be in the band? What if your son simply wanted to represent his school by playing an instrument or being a drum major? Why does that choice have to mean he has to be brutalized by some band geeks?

There are plenty of great musicians who have never been beaten. There are plenty of outstanding band members who have never been hazed.

I'm sorry, but I reject your position that a choice to be in a band equals a choice to be beaten. It is simply not true. Except in the realm of low grade nig:gers who use any organization as a means to establish status for themselves.

The real CHOICE that has to be made is whether or not somebody should be hazed to play an instrument with and for a bunch of nig:gers or to join any other social organization of nig:gers. That's the choice.

And these fools made the wrong choice. They must pay.

Thank God that you don't have a son who chose to join a band or another organization and was killed. It would be a sad day when you stood up and told people it was his fault. For simply wanting to participate in an extracurricular activity. :shame:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a choice? What choice is that? To not be in the band? What if your son simply wanted to represent his school by playing an instrument or being a drum major? Why does that choice have to mean he has to be brutalized by some band geeks?

There are plenty of great musicians who have never been beaten. There are plenty of outstanding band members who have never been hazed.

I'm sorry, but I reject your position that a choice to be in a band equals a choice to be beaten. It is simply not true. Except in the realm of low grade nig:gers who use any organization as a means to establish status for themselves.

The real CHOICE that has to be made is whether or not somebody should be hazed to play an instrument with and for a bunch of nig:gers or to join any other social organization of nig:gers. That's the choice.

Thank God that you don't have a son who chose to join a band or another organization and was killed. It would be a sad day when you stood up and told people it was his fault. For simply wanting to participate in an extracurricular activity. :shame:

Maybe im reading wrong but it seems like you and Blankman just made the same point. That no one should or has to be beat to do anything or be apart of anything. Now as in who to put fault too..nobody was right in this situation and nobody wins. Every did something wrong from the people doing the hazing/beating, to the one deciding to participate, to the directors and adults who should be there to prevent these things from happening.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I tel you what, when these dues go to prison all for the name of keeping it real for a band, ask them ho the tradition of the band helped them out. :tup:

You did not read with comprehension. I said a choice in reference to whether or not you subject yourself to hazing. I already posted that I have never put my hands on a prospective member of any organization that I am in and I think it is unnecessary. If my soon chose to subject himself to that I would be disappointed because I would have thought I would have taught him better. Next time please read and comprehend not assume, thanks..

Prayers for strength and comfort for the young man's family.

Deputies: FAMU student found unresponsive on bus
The 27-year-old man was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

By Arelis R. Hernández, Orlando Sentinel

12:03 p.m. EST, November 20, 2011

Orange County Sheriff's deputies said a Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University student who was found dead aboard a bus outside an Orlando hotel was feeling ill before he went unconscious.

Robert Champion, 26, was on the bus with the FAMU marching band in front of the Rosen Plaza hotel on International Drive Saturday when he started throwing up and complained that he couldn't breathe, according to Orange County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Ginette Rodriguez.

Friends called 911 and performed CPR, she said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...rsity-student-on-bus-20111120,0,5347347.story
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This not how the season should end for HBCU bands. We might be in different conference but the HBCU band world ties us all together and makes us a family. Condolences go out to the family of Mr. Champion, FAMU, and the Marching 100 as well.

They tied the young man hands behind his back, and had a bag over his face. Yall still wanna say this is different form gang banging? This is a street mentality that is destroying our kids and programs because folks up hold this mess.

They tied the young man hands behind his back, and had a bag over his face. Yall still wanna say this is different form gang banging? This is a street mentality that is destroying our kids and programs because folks up hold this mess.

Cee dog...they don't understand. Some of the folks are downplaying this for whatever reason. The sad part is people will go to any length for acceptance. This 26 year old student wanted to be a part of something and subjected himself to negative behavior. Then the students utilized so much aggressive behavior that it killed him.

It's a sad situation all the way around. We have a young man who could have been a Barack Obama dead....and students who could have been a Barack Obama facing murder charges....sad all the way around.

As the day goes by it gets worse and people talking about praying for FAMU. To hell with FAMU, those folks in that band did that dude wrong and i hate he allowed that because he paid the ultimate price.:angry:

As the day goes by it gets worse and people talking about praying for FAMU. To hell with FAMU, those folks in that band did that dude wrong and i hate he allowed that because he paid the ultimate price.:angry:

We should still pray for all that is involved....the young man who died....those who committed the act....the families of those involved....and FAMU.

You did not read with comprehension. I said a choice in reference to whether or not you subject yourself to hazing. I already posted that I have never put my hands on a prospective member of any organization that I am in and I think it is unnecessary. If my soon chose to subject himself to that I would be disappointed because I would have thought I would have taught him better. Next time please read and comprehend not assume, thanks..

Read with comprehension? You try the same. I'm not talking about you personally or what you would have done. I'm talking about ignant folks in general who have somehow convinced themselves that "crossing" a fuggin' BUS is important or necessary!

You're trying to make a distinction between choosing to participate in an organization and choosing to be hazed. I'm not going to allow you to be that deceptive. You know full well that many people in these organizations feel any participation is a ticket to hazing although I'll take your word for it that you're not one of those people.

It would be nice if participation and hazing were mutually exclusive, but they are not for the vast majority of these people. Let's not try to hoodwink each other here.

Last edited:
If you stand around and watch you are part of the problem. Just because you did not pass the lick, you could have stopped the fatal lick. Same thing, same results.

Who knew this guy was actually telling the truth....

[video=youtube;27GQ_ZRv8ME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27GQ_ZRv8ME[/video]

:lol:

Jail Phi Jail indeed. Some of these ignant FAMU folks are getting reading to find themselves there. YOU KNOW!!!

Florida Hazing Law

11006.63 hazing prohibited.--

(1) As used in this section, "hazing" means any action or situation that recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student for purposes including, but not limited to, initiation or admission into or affiliation with any organization operating under the sanction of a postsecondary institution. "hazing" includes, but is not limited to, pressuring or coercing the student into violating state or federal law, any brutality of a physical nature, such as whipping, beating, branding, exposure to the elements, forced consumption of any food, liquor, drug, or other substance, or other forced physical activity that could adversely affect the physical health or safety of the student, and also includes any activity that would subject the student to extreme mental stress, such as sleep deprivation, forced exclusion from social contact, forced conduct that could result in extreme embarrassment, or other forced activity that could adversely affect the mental health or dignity of the student. hazing does not include customary athletic events or other similar contests or competitions or any activity or conduct that furthers a legal and legitimate objective.

(2) A person commits hazing, a third degree felony, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, when he or she intentionally or recklessly commits any act of hazing as defined in subsection (1) upon another person who is a member of or an applicant to any type of student organization and the hazing results in serious bodily injury or death of such other person.

(3) A person commits hazing, a first degree misdemeanor, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, when he or she intentionally or recklessly commits any act of hazing as defined in subsection (1) upon another person who is a member of or an applicant to any type of student organization and the hazing creates a substantial risk of physical injury or death to such other person.

(4) As a condition of any sentence imposed pursuant to subsection (2) or subsection (3), the court shall order the defendant to attend and complete a 4-hour hazing education course and may also impose a condition of drug or alcohol probation.

(5) It is not a defense to a charge of hazing that:

(a) The consent of the victim had been obtained;

(b) The conduct or activity that resulted in the death or injury of a person was not part of an official organizational event or was not otherwise sanctioned or approved by the organization; or

(c) The conduct or activity that resulted in death or injury of the person was not done as a condition of membership to an organization.

(6) This section shall not be construed to preclude prosecution for a more general offense resulting from the same criminal transaction or episode.

(7) Public and nonpublic postsecondary educational institutions whose students receive state student financial assistance must adopt a written anti-hazing policy and under such policy must adopt rules prohibiting students or other persons associated with any student organization from engaging in hazing.

(8) Public and nonpublic postsecondary educational institutions must provide a program for the enforcement of such rules and must adopt appropriate penalties for violations of such rules, to be administered by the person at the institution responsible for the sanctioning of such organizations.

(a) Such penalties at community colleges and state universities may include the imposition of fines; the withholding of diplomas or transcripts pending compliance with the rules or pending payment of fines; and the imposition of probation, suspension, or dismissal.

(b) In the case of an organization at a community college or state university that authorizes hazing in blatant disregard of such rules, penalties may also include rescission of permission for that organization to operate on campus property or to otherwise operate under the sanction of the institution.

(c) All penalties imposed under the authority of this subsection shall be in addition to any penalty imposed for violation of any of the criminal laws of this state or for violation of any other rule of the institution to which the violator may be subject.

(9) Rules adopted pursuant hereto shall apply to acts conducted on or off campus whenever such acts are deemed to constitute hazing.

(10) Upon approval of the anti-hazing policy of a community college or state university and of the rules and penalties adopted pursuant thereto, the institution shall provide a copy of such policy, rules, and penalties to each student enrolled in that institution and shall require the inclusion of such policy, rules, and penalties in the bylaws of every organization operating under the sanction of the institution.

:uzi:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If you stand around and watch you are part of the problem. Just because you did not pass the lick, you could have stopped the fatal lick. Same thing, same results.

There is a reason B Phi B did not get in trouble for hazing. We cut the dumb shit years ago. We made necessary changes to survive. If you fail to adapt you die. Those are the rules... It's that simple. Also getting hazed is a choice. Especially in a marching band crabbing is not a requirement. Ass whoopins in most cases are optional not compulsory so how was it not a choice that he made?

There is a reason B Phi B did not get in trouble for hazing. We cut the dumb shit years ago. We made necessary changes to survive. If you fail to adapt you die. Those are the rules... It's that simple. Also getting hazed is a choice. Especially in a marching band crabbing is not a requirement. Ass whoopins in most cases are optional not compulsory so how was it not a choice that he made?

Did you read the Florida Law on hazing that I just posted? Read the highlighted part especially.

From what i got from someone in FAMU's band. He was hazed to cross the BUS, they have a bus they call bus C which if u choose to ride it, u get hazed severely, u have to try and make it from the front all the way to the back and u are completely helpless. They had to get extreme because dude wasn't a little dude. Heard some of them were personal with it also due to his sexuality.

I could simply replace bus c with Bus 2 and this would be a practice out of an old Human Jukebox playbook (I am sure old band heads remember). This practice was simply stupid. Only by and grace of God, we did not reap the same fate as FAMU. I can honestly say that Doc forbid any hazing and would zip anyone he thought had participated in hazing.

This is a sad thing that happened; yet nothing is sadder than having someone die before we all agree to give up this practice.

The average endowment of the nation’s top 865 endowments according to NACUBO is $407 million of which we have no schools above this threshold and of which 149 HWCUs are above. Howard comes closest at approximately $400 million, then Spelman at $300 million. There are HBCUs who actually have no endowment, unfortunately, which makes the cost of hazing even greater.

Florida A&M, at the heart of the most recent hazing incident but by no means the only institution with a hazing problem, has an endowment according to NACUBO of an estimated $96 million. That means in any given year the school receives operational funds of approximately $5 million from its endowment income to provide for the above stated items I just named. Typically, 5% of an endowment is used annually.

Earlier this year, a family of a hazing victim at Cornell University sued for $25 million after their son died in an incident. The $25 million is equivalent to 0.5% of Cornell’s $4.4 billion endowment. It’s equal to 25% of the Florida A&M endowment if the family were to choose to ask for the same amount.

http://www.hbcudigest.com/editorial-the-financial-cost-of-hazing-at-hbcus/

What you must understand is that in the grand scheme of things the band was a very minute part of FAMU. FAMU as an institution of higher learning has way more to offer than just its band program. Yes the band may be used as a recruiting tool but FAMU's main purpose is to be an institution of higher learning.

And being that the band is/was used as a recruiting tool, this unfortunate occurance is going to give FAMU as an institution as black eye. Yes we're very upset about what happened and the lack of oversight in their band program. And the only thing that we can do is pray for that young man's family and that this doesn't happen again. But to damn FAMU is taking it too far. Can you seperate the band from the school?

What you must understand is that in the grand scheme of things the band was a very minute part of FAMU. FAMU as an institution of higher learning has way more to offer than just its band program. Yes the band may be used as a recruiting tool but FAMU's main purpose is to be an institution of higher learning.

And being that the band is/was used as a recruiting tool, this unfortunate occurance is going to give FAMU as an institution as black eye. Yes we're very upset about what happened and the lack of oversight in their band program. And the only thing that we can do is pray for that young man's family and that this doesn't happen again. But to damn FAMU is taking it too far. Can you seperate the band from the school?

That's like trying to separate the football team from Penn State. They're married. I'm no fan of bands by any means, but the Marching 100 is synonymous with FAMU.

What you must understand the band should have known better: hell they got sued millions for hazing, just kicked out 30 students from the trombone section last week for hazing so quit all the damn excuse talking about grand schemes, someone is dead. And oh, i'm talking strictly about the band, it's not like the school will close over the death but the band will suffer and it should.

Last edited:
Back