Out of Conference Future Football Schedules

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Auburn Tigers added the Alcorn State Braves as their season opener for the 2020 season at Jordan-Hare Stadium, per a report by FBSchedules.com.

The game is scheduled for September 5, and Auburn will pay Alcorn State $475,000 for the game, according to the game contract that was obtained.

Decent payday and a somewhat familiar trip (close to Montgomery).

Good moves for Alcorn. They will have a FBS opponent in 2020, 2021 & 2022. So with the new 8 game conference schedule they will have a FBS money game and then can schedule 2 other games to their liking. This is the model all the other schools should go with. Getting that home and home with Southland conference member McNeese is another good move.

Good moves for Alcorn. They will have a FBS opponent in 2020, 2021 & 2022. So with the new 8 game conference schedule they will have a FBS money game and then can schedule 2 other games to their liking. This is the model all the other schools should go with. Getting that home and home with Southland conference member McNeese is another good move.
But how are the schools gonna recoup money lost from missing ONE home game vs Southern? It will be catastrophic to their budgets.

(Please note I’m saying this with beaucoup sarcasm.)

But how are the schools gonna recoup money lost from missing ONE home game vs Southern? It will be catastrophic to their budgets.

(Please note I’m saying this with beaucoup sarcasm.)
As an undergrad I loved Southern week when we were hosting. RVs rolled on campus around Wednesday. They always brought a crowd, their band, and the parties were the best of the year for a home game.

As an undergrad I loved Southern week when we were hosting. RVs rolled on campus around Wednesday. They always brought a crowd, their band, and the parties were the best of the year for a home game.
According to Journalist (and Fiyah), you wouldn't have that for two years. Deal with it by playing a white school on the road 200 miles away. Never mind the blowout loss.

According to Journalist (and Fiyah), you wouldn't have that for two years. Deal with it by playing a white school on the road 200 miles away.

Actually according to McClelland, you basically drop a home-and-home. So it’s one HOME game and one ROAD game against an opponent from the other division over a 10-year cycle.

He suggests back-to-back years for rolling off (ex. Alcorn not hosting Southern one year and not going to Southern the immediate next year).

I believe the next few years the east will be competitive between Alcorn, AAMU & JSU. I am not totally sure about JSU yet and will have to look a little closer next season, but AAMU is on the rise and Alcorn is......Alcorn. I don't have much confidence in Bama State. I believe Bama State better look out for MVSU......
Depends on our offense. If we can average at least 24-28 a game we can beat anybody in the SWAC but it depends on how they do. If they continue to play how they have then it’ll be the same. Defense plays good but then gets gassed due to playing the whole game

Actually according to McClelland, you basically drop a home-and-home. So it’s one HOME game and one ROAD game against an opponent from the other division over a 10-year cycle.

He suggests back-to-back years for rolling off (ex. Alcorn not hosting Southern one year and not going to Southern the immediate next year).

Good luck if they think Alcorn not going to play Southern. They will schedule each other for non-conference. Alcorn and Southern are 2 hours drive away from each other. Only 2 other schools are closer than Alcorn and Southern and that is Alcorn/JSU and TXSU/Prairie View.

That was the only flaw that we see in it. We (Journalist & myself) suggested that there be a 1 school roll off every year which would make you miss playing a school once every 5 years instead of the back to back in a 10 year span the conference came up with.

That was the only flaw that we see in it. We (Journalist & myself) suggested that there be a 1 school roll off every year which would make you miss playing a school once every 5 years instead of the back to back in a 10 year span the conference came up with.

Yup ... Example time again ... it's not rocket science ...

Southern loses home game vs Alabama A&M in 2020/AAMU loses home game vs Southern in 2025
Southern loses home game vs Alabama State in 2021/Bama State loses home game vs Southern in 2026
Southern loses home game vs Alcorn in 2022/Alcorn loses home game vs Southern in 2027
Southern loses home game vs Jackson State in 2023/Jackson State loses home game vs Southern in 2028
Southern loses home game vs Valley in 2024/Valley loses home game vs Southern in 2029

Also, folks worrying about this like the road team gets a cut of the home team's gate like talkin' bout

Who are yall trying to imitate and why? We've been playing southern for the last 50 years and it's been all good. Even when they played their home game at Memorial. (snicker)
Yall quit trying to imitate these white schools to try and fit in.
Last I heard, that's not a requirement to remain in the NCAA.

According to Journalist (and Fiyah), you wouldn't have that for two years. Deal with it by playing a white school on the road 200 miles away. Never mind the blowout loss.
Oh, you misunderstand. That was my favorite weekend, but there was no more enjoyable win than beating Troy on the reservation! I'm ok with playing OOC b/c we need to play and beat those schools if for no other reason than to demonstrate to recruits that playing for us is not a step down.

Oh, you misunderstand. That was my favorite weekend, but there was no more enjoyable win than beating Troy on the reservation! I'm ok with playing OOC b/c we need to play and beat those schools if for no other reason than to demonstrate to recruits that playing for us is not a step down.
I think that's a goal for McClelland's plan for the 8-game schedule. Play OOC and build ourselves up to beat them, and beat them consistently.

We already play at least 20 out of conference games. Why do yall keep acting like we don't? We win 70 percent of those games, that's automatic credibility.
You don't do away with huge HBCU games to please white folks, who aren't going to bring their fans to our stadiums any how. We'll go to them, but they won't come to us.
Why are we always trying to please them most all the time any how at our own expense? That's self-defeating, illogical and quite frankly........stupid.

Last edited:
We already play at least 20 out of conference games. Why do yall keep acting like we don't? We win 70 percent of those games, that's automatic credibility.
You don't do away with huge HBCU games to please white folks, who aren't going to bring their fans to our stadiums any how. We'll go to them, but they won't come to us.
Why are we always trying to please them most all the time any how at our own expense? That's self-defeating, illogical and quite frankly........stupid.
we play and beat hbcu dII and lower teams. north alabama, jax state, kennesaw state, delta state uca, arkansas-monticello, incarnate word et al have been kicking our conference member to sleep.
and pleasing recruits and winning games is not for the purpose of pleasing white folks.
jax state & kennesaw state have been to montgomery. mcneese to alcorn. all the dII come to us...unless your bama a&m.

I'll let Coach Banks worry about who we are playing until he start sending me part of his check....LOL I trust that since he has much more time to figure this out he'll make the best decision. When you have competent people running the show you let them do their thing. Though I personally like playing jsu and Alcorn every year, if they're good enough, they'll see the great Southern University Football Jaguars in the SCG....LOL (poor Grambling)

With the 8 game schedule coming in 2020, looks like gsu has completed their schedule with these 3 OOC games.

If correct, they will only have 3 games on campus. They should be hosting UAPB and 2 teams from the East since their home game against PV is a neutral site game in Dallas.

With the 8 game schedule coming in 2020, looks like gsu has completed their schedule with these 3 OOC games.

If correct, they will only have 3 games on campus. They should be hosting UAPB and 2 teams from the East since their home game against PV is a neutral site game in Dallas.

HBCUs have too many neutral site games.
3 home games is a joke of a schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back