Odums interested in McNeese State job according to reports

Can anybody tell me what is wrong with Odums? Considering he has won a SWAC Championship, endured NCAA sanctions, kept Grambling from winning four in a row. What does he have to do to be liked by Southernites. He deserves a raise, as does his coaches. Odums has won in spite of major obstacles. I will say, however,
using McNeese as leverage for a pay raise is no leverage at all.

Can anybody tell me what is wrong with Odums? Considering he has won a SWAC Championship, endured NCAA sanctions, kept Grambling from winning four in a row. What does he have to do to be liked by Southernites. He deserves a raise, as does his coaches. Odums has won in spite of major obstacles. I will say, however,

I think he automatically gets a raise for beating Grambling. He can get more of a raise from winning it all (SWAC and CB). Also, I think Stump initially put us in right direction with APR issues.

Last edited:
Beat Alcorn and win more titles. Winning cures everything.

I think he automatically gets a raise for beating Grambling. He can get more of a raise from winning it all (SWAC and CB). Also, I think Stump initially put us in right direction with APR issues.

Not raises, but bonuses for winning the Classic, the division for sure this year. Think he also gets a bonus based on home ticket sales revenue. He would’ve gotten bonuses for winning the SWAC and Celebration Bowl.

But a lot of us do credit Stump for getting us on the right path with APR and recruiting better students to play football.

Who does SU think they can hire if Odums leaves? Y'all think y'all gon' get another coach of Pete Richardson's caliber? It's just like SU alums to be arrogant though. Y'all gon' fool around and end up like JSU.

I think any coach outside of HBCU football would be a good fit, especially a coach who has beaten HBCU's on a regular. Like I previous stated, one of McNeese's coaches was interested in the job when Southern raised Pete's salary over $200k. I'm sure their are a few FCS coaches in other conferences who would love the job if the money is right, especially one who would love to be in the same city with LSU. It gives them a chance to demostrate their coaching skills to a SEC fan base. I wonder if Nicholls State or Southeastern coaches would be interested, especially Nicholls. IMO, Southern coaching job is a much better job than either one of the two. It pays more and the school gets more exposure by being in Baton Rouge. Just like they stole our recruits over the years, maybe we can steal some things from them by stealing a few of their coaches who are proven HBCU beaters.

Last edited:
I think any coach outside of HBCU football would be a good fit, especially a coach who has beaten HBCU's on a regular. Like I previous stated, one of McNeese's coaches was interested in the job when Southern raised Pete's salary over $200k. I'm sure their are a few FCS coaches in other conferences who would love the job if the money is right, especially one who would love to be in the same city with LSU. It gives them a chance to demostrate their coaching skills to a SEC fan base.

That would be the sensible thing to do but I don't think SU would do that. There are a lot of FCS coaches and FBS assistant coaches that would take a head coaching job paying over $200K but is SU ready to look beyond skin color and/or hire a coach with little to no connection with HBCUs?

That would be the sensible thing to do but I don't think SU would do that. There are a lot of FCS coaches and FBS assistant coaches that would take a head coaching job paying over $200K but is SU ready to look beyond skin color and/or hire a coach with little to no connection with HBCUs?

I can't speak for all Southern grads, but I for one can go beyond the traditional HBCU coach. Skin color doesn't matter, as long as they are winning.

Also, it's hard for a lot of those schools to compete by being in the UL System. I believe their FCS coaching salaries are set at a certain amount with Grambling being the exception.

Last edited:
Also, it's hard for a lot of those school to compete by being in the UL System. I believe their FCS coaching salaries are set at a certain amount with Grambling being the exception.

Lance Guidry, the now former McNeese coach, and Dawson Odums each had the same base salary of $180K/year.

Lance Guidry, the now former McNeese coach, and Dawson Odums each had the same base salary of $180K/year.

I'm sure you are right, but the UL System Board has set a limit on how much their FCS coaches can make. SU once gave Pete Richardson over $200k (I believe close to $250k) one time. I'm sure $225k would be an attractive amount for most coaches at FCS programs, especially at a program that is only 10 miles from a SEC program. I believe Pete made more tham LaTech and ULM coaches at that time.

I'm sure you are right, but the UL System Board has set a limit on how much their FCS coaches can make. SU once gave Pete Richardson over $200k (I believe close to $250k) one time. I'm sure $225k would be an attractive amount for most coaches at FCS programs, especially at a program that is only 10 miles from a SEC program. I believe Pete made more tham LaTech and ULM coaches at that time.
Pete made 200k a year for his final contract

Pete made 200k a year for his final contract

That was the base he started making in 2005. But he had other stuff in his contract like housing allowance that raised it to more. I think Odums has something similar that takes his salary close to or over $190k.

To answer your question, Banks(AD) is not a fool, and like folks have said, I can guarantee you-- SU going after a Southland coach especially in Lousiana or even Texas would not be hard. Can SU see pass color and hbcu pedigree, I THINK SO.

As I said in my previous post Odums was a pick based off the climate which SU was in at that moment. SUBR is in a much better place, and I think Banks is ready to put his mark on it SU Football with a solid hire.

And with the BC, SWAC CHAMPIONSHIP, AND CB, that right there is a selling point that most coaches dont not have at other FCS schools. The question I have is why other HBCUS ? are not going after these coaches that clearly are beating us MOST OF THE TIME- but we are paying 250,-300 for someone that is not a proven winner.

Last edited:
To answer your question, Banks(AD) is not a fool, and like folks have said, I can guarantee you-- SU going after a Southland coach especially in Lousiana or even Texas would not be hard. Can SU see pass color and hbcu pedigree, I THINK SO.

As a said in my previous post Odums was a pick based off the climate which SU was in at that moment. SUBR is in a much better place, and I think Banks is ready to put his mark on it SU Football with a solid hire.

And with the BC, SWAC CHAMPIONSHIP, AND CB, that right there is a selling point that most coaches dont not have at other FCS schools. The question I have is why other HBCUS ? are not going after these coaches that clearly are beating us MOST OF THE TIME- but we are paying 250,-300 for someone that is not a proven winner.

Tradition is the main killer for HBCU athletics. It's funny how HBCUs can hire people of different races when it comes to academics, but can't do the same when it comes to athletics.

I just think that if Odums leave it's not going to be a big deal to Jaguar Nation
Has Southern become so arrogant and ungrateful that we can't show appreciation for a job well-done? Southern just played for the SWAC championship! We are only losing nine seniors. The future looks bright, and l have my shades -- not rose colored glasses. I'm getting the feeling Odums has not been fully embraced by The Jaguar Nation when he is one of the most successful coaches in the SWAC and hbcu football. He does have a SWAC championship to his credit.

Reactions: JR
Has Southern become so arrogant and ungrateful that we can't show appreciation for a job well-done? Southern just played for the SWAC championship! We are only losing nine seniors. The future looks bright, and l have my shades -- not rose colored glasses. I'm getting the feeling Odums has not been fully embraced by The Jaguar Nation when he is one of the most successful coaches in the SWAC and hbcu football. He does have a SWAC championship to his credit.

That is the exact reason he is applying elsewhere. He knows the sentiment. I like Big Worm and hope he stays. But I know he ain’t the fan favorite. These fans act like these kids hate playing for Odums or something.

That is the exact reason he is applying elsewhere. He knows the sentiment. I like Big Worm and hope he stays. But I know he ain’t the fan favorite. These fans act like these kids hate playing for Odums or something.

Yup.

I’ve maintained that getting rid of a winning coach for not winning enough will skew you more towards Nebraska than Ohio State

Y’all keep playing and we will be JSU. Do you not understand SU didn’t have all our scholarships , and had practice limitations. This coming year will be the first time under Odums, SU will be playing with a even hand, 63 scholarships. Good god some of y’all are smh.

Back