New SWAC Commissioner

He can't be any worse than Duer. As a matter of fact, he's more than likely to be much better.

Reactions: JR
Birmingham has been talking about building a dome since the 90’s, including the proposal for the MAPS project that included the building of a dome, but the Bham citizens voted against it. To that end, I don’t think Bham will ever get a dome.

Birmingham has been talking about building a dome since the 90’s, including the proposal for the MAPS project that included the building of a dome, but the Bham citizens voted against it. To that end, I don’t think Bham will ever get a dome.
I agree! I think the current and most likely plan on the drawing board is to build a 40K open air stadium for UAB at the BJCC financed primarily via private and business support.

If UAB gets the 40k seat stadium and Legion Field closes or gets torn down, then what will happen to the Magic City Classic? A 40k seat stadium is not large enough to hold the MCC attendance. Could it possibly move to Atlanta, Nashville, etc? Also, I think having the MCC at the school’s campuses would destroy the game and tradition.

Excellent choice. So does Kevin Granger get promoted from Assistant AD to the full position?

If UAB gets the 40k seat stadium and Legion Field closes or gets torn down, then what will happen to the Magic City Classic? A 40k seat stadium is not large enough to hold the MCC attendance. Could it possibly move to Atlanta, Nashville, etc? Also, I think having the MCC at the school’s campuses would destroy the game and tradition.
Good question!!!! But I think it's best to find another college or city owned stadium for the MCC. NFL stadiums are to expensive and have to many damn rules especially when it comes to tailgating. Especially the newer ones..

Congrats Charles.

Bewild is decently prophetic (2yrs ago): PV new football coach, PV new AD, and CMac as SWAC commish, for now. One last and final move he has to make. :D

A 40k seat stadium is not large enough to hold the MCC attendance. Could it possibly move to Atlanta, Nashville, etc? Also, I think having the MCC at the school’s campuses would destroy the game and tradition.
I'm sure a lot of ppl have been giving that considerable thought considering the annual financial impact on the City's and local economy from the game, tailgating and associated events. I'm sure they will extend the life of "The Old Gray Lady" as long as possible.

Last edited:

Maybe they could add 25k seats to the stadium in Mobile and increase its capacity to 60k or 65k and move the game there. Doesn't that stadium host two bowl games and the Senior Bowl annually? IMO, ASU and AAMU should be working with cities like Mobile to help them see the long term economic benefit (return value) of upgrading and the increasing the capacity of its stadium as a host stadium for ASU/AAMU Classic.

Last edited:
If UAB gets the 40k seat stadium and Legion Field closes or gets torn down, then what will happen to the Magic City Classic? A 40k seat stadium is not large enough to hold the MCC attendance. Could it possibly move to Atlanta, Nashville, etc? No Also, I think having the MCC at the school’s campuses would destroy the game and tradition.
We may not have a choice! Do you really think UAB will take the MCC into consideration when they know they have priority scheduling?

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2018/06/uab_to_pay_25000_a_game_to_lea.html
According to the agreement, all UAB games have scheduling priority over any other events. UAB football will receive 20 complimentary practice days a year.

I think McClelland was the only choice. His track record for revitalizing is impeccable!!! Anyone who can do what he did at PV and is currently doing at TSU, deserves the opportunity to lead our conference to the next level. He already has established relationships with the council of presidents and chancellors. His ability to raise money through sponsorships and other money streams is unquestionable. His ability to negotiate deals and agreements are proven. We've been getting taken for years by a guy who fails to show up for or send someone to represent the conference for the pregame Celebration Bowl press conference. I go to the conference baseball tournament annually. Duer would make a cameo appearance 1 out of 5 days. And you would never see him again. Dr McClelland was there for every game the university he represented competed in regardless of what the weather was. Dr McClelland is the guy who has played in this conference and been an exemplary leader in and for our conference!!! He is vested and loves The SWAC!!! Excellent hire!!!

Back