New SWAC Commissioner

6:47am : My sources...announcement today.
9:00am: Still good...probably around noon.
11:00am: (after searching #SWAC on Twitter and thinks to self an afternoon press release is coming around 2pm *getting nervous*)
Noon: (sees McClelland at Frenchy's, he's dressed for casual Friday, *starts to panic*)
1:00pm: (calls his boy Ray-Ray at TSU athletic office, straight to voicemail...*oh crap*)
3:00pm: (realizes even for the SWAC it's not going to happen...one last Twitter search)
4:31pm: Hey y'all, ain't happening today....peace! (memo to self, don't visit hbcusports.com until Monday)

Lol.... she made an azz out of some today though.

Maybe they could add 25k seats to the stadium in Mobile and increase its capacity to 60k or 65k and move the game there. Doesn't that stadium host two bowl games and the Senior Bowl annually? IMO, ASU and AAMU should be working with cities like Mobile to help them see the long term economic benefit (return value) of upgrading and the increasing the capacity of its stadium as a host stadium for ASU/AAMU Classic.

Don’t nobody want to go to Mobile... thats a 5 hour drive from here. They aint expanding Ladd Stadium.... South Alabama jsut got approval for an on campus stadium earlier this week.

I personally don't think the game will ever leave Birmingham! They'll expand the new stadium to 55k in the future if they have to as well as convince UAB to schedule around that weekend in October and the City will do financially whatever they have to do to keep the Magic City Classic in the Magic City!

If/when the game leaves Birmingham, it will go home and home or at the very least Montgomery and where A&M decides for their host years.

IMO, cities in Alabama should be doing whatever to attract big events like the MCC, which is why I threw Mobile in the mix. Houston definitely tried to lure the Bayou Classic from New Orleans, which made New Orleans step up to the plate on keeping it. Big events like the MCC are too important to Birmingham's economy that they should be doing whatever to make sure it stays in Birmingham. It's all about economics and AAMU and ASU have created something that has economic power.

Last edited:
What's so sad is the white folks in Alabama have been trying to destroy the MCC for ever. Who knew all it took was a HBCU Millennial grad to become Mayor of Birmingham to do it.......

What's so sad is the white folks in Alabama have been trying to destroy the MCC for ever. Who knew all it took was a HBCU Millennial grad to become Mayor of Birmingham to do it.......

reducing MCC attendance from 65k-70k+ to a set 55k every year with no classic tailgate experience = Magic City Classic Light & no more #1 HBCU classic attendance titles

I would love t see him do this.

1. Bring back the SCG and play it at the school with the best record.
2. Maintain the 7 game mandate but create a rotational football schedule
3. Create a mandate where our schools will not longer play the Bacone Colleges of the world
4. Punish schools for not filling a full schedule

1. Only for the 2018 season. After that it should be brought back to NRG with a more favorable contract.
2. Change it to a 8 game mandate and just rotate 1 team off every year. You would basically play a team for 4 years on and 1 year off.
3. You always got to have that homecoming bait or practice game. Your fans should mandate that and not the conference.
4. You can't punish a team for not playing the maximum number of games per season. The only games you can make them play are your conference games. If nothing changes to the number of conference games for 2019, watch a lot of schools play these out of conference - conference school games when you can play 12 games that season.

Hold your horses my source is faulty no announcement to come!

Contract negotiations....they are gonna work it out.

If/when the game leaves Birmingham, it will go home and home or at the very least Montgomery and where A&M decides for their host years.

We said a while back that if it leaves Birmingham that AAMU and ASU need to let it go to a home and home. Would rather see it go to a home and home and the home schools get all the money than moving it to another city

If the schools know that it is leaving, they (the schools and the cities) can make the plans to accommodate the overflow crowds

Huntsville can barely handle our homecoming. Lol These white folks would set up road blocks around Huntsville and shut down the game. Lol

We said a while back that if it leaves Birmingham that AAMU and ASU need to let it go to a home and home. Would rather see it go to a home and home and the home schools get all the money than moving it to another city

If the schools know that it is leaving, they (the schools and the cities) can make the plans to accommodate the overflow crowds

So get a check every other year instead of every year? MCC aint never leaving Birmingham. AAMU aint making no money if the game in Montgomery.

I believe the folks in B'ham will figure this out. I refuse to believe that the leadership in B'ham are stupid enough to let the MCC go by the wayside. I do believe that the leadership from AAMU & Bama State needs to get involved in this ground level planning though.

Wouldn't make $ense.

1. Only for the 2018 season. After that it should be brought back to NRG with a more favorable contract.
2. Change it to a 8 game mandate and just rotate 1 team off every year. You would basically play a team for 4 years on and 1 year off.
3. You always got to have that homecoming bait or practice game. Your fans should mandate that and not the conference.
4. You can't punish a team for not playing the maximum number of games per season. The only games you can make them play are your conference games. If nothing changes to the number of conference games for 2019, watch a lot of schools play these out of conference - conference school games when you can play 12 games that season.

Contract negotiations....they are gonna work it out.

Glad you used numbers...that way we can keep up.

1. NRG was too big and it gave a poor representation of the SWAC on TV. A smaller venue would give the appearance that there is a larger crowd.

2.I can get with that.

3. Forget homecoming bait....we want our conference to be viewed in a more competitive light then the conference should require a more competitive schedule for our teams. I HATE we play Bacone College.

4. It's going to continue to be jacked up because the SWAC just allows anything and everything to go.

It has been my observation prior to and after AAMU joined the SWAC, fans do not realize the greatness of the SWAC. The SWAC is unique within itself. It will always appear the SWAC Commissioner can never do enough for the conference. No matter who is hired the Commissioner greatest challenge will be SWAC fans. Across the board, all SWAC Universities are not equal in all areas, but maintain Department of Athletics which participate in all sports. Reaching common grounds so all schools can participate at the D1 level is what makes our conference unique.

Glad you used numbers...that way we can keep up.

1. NRG was too big and it gave a poor representation of the SWAC on TV. A smaller venue would give the appearance that there is a larger crowd.

2.I can get with that.

3. Forget homecoming bait....we want our conference to be viewed in a more competitive light then the conference should require a more competitive schedule for our teams. I HATE we play Bacone College.

4. It's going to continue to be jacked up because the SWAC just allows anything and everything to go.

1 - It seemed to only be like that when your school played there. It was no problem for any of the other schools that played there.

3 - That's on your A.D. and fans and not on the conference to settle who a school can play OOC.

4 - What other FCS Conferences dictate who their members can and cannot play OOC? Please give examples.

Doesn’t the MEAC limit the number of game their teams can have against lessor divisions opponents?

Back