New SWAC Commissioner

Good question!!!! But I think it's best to find another college or city owned stadium for the MCC. NFL stadiums are to expensive and have to many damn rules especially when it comes to tailgating. Especially the newer ones..

Reliant in Houston is perfect. If high schools can afford to play one playoff game on a Friday night and Sam Houston/SFA can afford to play there surely we can afford it too.

Reliant in Houston is perfect. If high schools can afford to play one playoff game on a Friday night and Sam Houston/SFA can afford to play there surely we can afford it too.

They give the hs'ers and the sfa/shsu people "special rates" that are foreign to us (PV/sTu). In other words, just like at&t in arlington, depending on who the client is, the special rates apply. Hence the reason their ticket prices are LOWERS than ours (PV/sTu) ever could be. Tix for the game between shsu and sfa are what....10$/12$ walkup day of, lower-bowl? PV, sTu, SCG... tix price day of 38-44+$ depending....

They give the hs'ers and the sfa/shsu people "special rates" that are foreign to us (PV/sTu). In other words, just like at&t in arlington, depending on who the client is, the special rates apply. Hence the reason their ticket prices are LOWERS than ours (PV/sTu) ever could be. Tix for the game between shsu and sfa are what....10$/12$ walkup day of, lower-bowl? PV, sTu, SCG... tix price day of 38-44+$ depending....

It may be a combination of the Houston Sports Authority/SWAC office. That’s a great point about ticket prices.

Maybe they could add 25k seats to stadium in Mobile and increase its capacity to 60k or 65k and move the game there. Doesn't that stadium host two bowl games and the Senior Bowl annually? IMO, ASU and AAMU should be working with cities like Mobile to help them see the long term economic benefit (return value) of upgrading and the increasing the capacity of its stadium as a host stadium for ASU/AAMU Classic.

Add 25K for ONE game?

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN, when we gonna get gifs bruh! when?

The SCG will be at a conference stadium unless Charles can get Houston to up their money and find a good sponsor for Houston. Its never going back to Bham.

It may be a combination of the Houston Sports Authority/SWAC office. That’s a great point about ticket prices.

I'm not privvy to the inner workings of HSA coupled w/ nrg stadium so I'm not sure who/what makes those deals out. What I found god awfully non-haha funny was the first game sfa/shsu played @ nrg and they had the entire lower bowl available for GA @ 8-12$ per seat. As part of the season pass deal @ PV and then purchasing tix for others who visited the game w/ me, I spent just slightly north of 38-44$ game day/walk up for them to sit in the nose bleed-type area. Talk about pissed...

I would love t see him do this.

1. Bring back the SCG and play it at the school with the best record.
2. Maintain the 7 game mandate but create a rotational football schedule
3. Create a mandate where our schools will not longer play the Bacone Colleges of the world
4. Punish schools for not filling a full schedule

Maybe they could add 25k seats to stadium in Mobile and increase its capacity to 60k or 65k and move the game there. Doesn't that stadium host two bowl games and the Senior Bowl annually? IMO, ASU and AAMU should be working with cities like Mobile to help them see the long term economic benefit (return value) of upgrading and the increasing the capacity of its stadium as a host stadium for ASU/AAMU Classic.

When the MCC leaves B’ham it will be played in Montgomery and Huntsville.

You want to see the BOTPW contract? Here's the information... SHSU clears probably $250k (conservatively) from the game so it's essentially like getting a mid level FBS guarantee game (after expenses). SHSU has not played FBS games the last few years, so conceivably this is how they afford to do so and it's huge for alumni relations, connections, etc.

BATTLE OF THE PINEY WOODS GAME CONTRACT

ORIGINAL CONTRACT (2010)

Was originally four-year agreement with right to extend four additional years (through 2017).

LSSE received the first $300k of net ticket revenues. Called for LSSE to receive 50% of revenues over $300k with the Universities splitting remaining 50/50.

LSSE received the first $100k of net sponsorship revenues. Called for LSSE to receive 50% of revenues over $300k with the Universities splitting remaining 50/50.

2013 Amendment

LSSE retains the first $300k of net ticket revenue. All revenues over $300k are split 1/3 to LSSE, 1/3 to SHSU and 1/3 to SFA.

LSSE retains the first $200k of net sponsorship revenue. All revenues over $200k are split 1/3 to LSSE, 1/3 to SHSU and 1/3 to SFA.

The following commissions on each ticket sold directly the the University including tickets in suites. Ten percent commission on direct ticket sales up to $150,000. Twenty percent on direct ticket sales between $150k and $300k and thirty percent on sales of over $300k in ticket revenue.

2015 Amendment

Adds a perpetual 3-year term.

Except for home stadiums and Birmingham, why do you think no other city in Alabama can host the MCC???
No other city would have a stadium with the capacity to make it worth the time. Legion Field sits 70k plus. Ladd Stadium in Mobile seats 34k - why would we give away a game to Mobile or any other stadium when we could put 30k in our own stadium in Montgomery plus control tailgate, parking, and concessions? The only other stadiums in the state would be Jordan-Hare in Auburn and Bryant-Denny in Tuscaloosa.

No other city would have a stadium with the capacity to make it worth the time. Legion Field sits 70k plus. Ladd Stadium in Mobile seats 34k - why would we give away a game to Mobile or any other stadium when we could put 30k in our own stadium in Montgomery plus control tailgate, parking, and concessions? The only other stadiums in the state would be Jordan-Hare in Auburn and Bryant-Denny in Tuscaloosa.

With Mobile hosting other college games (bowl games and the Senior Bowl) on an annual, maybe the MCC would be economically feasible enough for the City of Mobile to increase Ladd Stadium to 60k to 65k.

With Mobile hosting other college games (bowl games and the Senior Bowl) on an annual, maybe the MCC would be economically feasible enough for the City of Mobile to increase Ladd Stadium to 60k to 65k.

That won’t happen with South announcing their plans to build an on campus stadium.

If/when the game leaves Birmingham, it will go home and home or at the very least Montgomery and where A&M decides for their host years.

Hmmm, I'd like to see what Dr. Charles McCelland can do to improve the conference and possibly bring the SCG back. We need a Midas touch right about now....

Last edited:
Hold your horses my source is faulty no announcement to come!

6:47am : My sources...announcement today.
9:00am: Still good...probably around noon.
11:00am: (after searching #SWAC on Twitter, thinks to self an afternoon press release is coming around 2pm *getting nervous*)
Noon: (sees McClelland at Frenchy's, he's dressed for casual Friday, *starts to panic*)
1:00pm: (calls her boy Ray-Ray at TSU athletic office, straight to voicemail...*oh crap*)
3:00pm: (realizes even for the SWAC it's not going to happen...one last Twitter search)
4:31pm: Hey y'all, ain't happening today....peace! (memo to self, don't visit hbcusports.com until Monday)

Last edited:
Back