New Era For JSU Starts Now (Coach Prime Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JSU averaged 33.000 in attendance this past season, for the first time ever. What is the liklihood the state of Mississippi is going to build JSU a bigger and better stadium than it has MSU or Ole Miss? A 65,000 -seat stadium would be twice as large as its average attendance.

Not likely.

I'm not sure a 65,000 seat stadium is needed. I think a 40-45,000 seat stadium with great amenities would be fine. Just design it well to allow JSU to take full advantage of its potential.

Last edited:
JSU averaged 33.000 in attendance this past season, for the first time ever. What is the liklihood the state of Mississippi is going to build JSU a bigger and better stadium than it has MSU or Ole Miss? A 65,000 -seat stadium would be twice as large as its average attendance.

You have to understand, math is not everyone's forte'. 35k permanent seating at best would be my guess. I do believe that was the revised seating capacity of the dome stadium before it was shelved.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Those are very harsh descriptors!

I knew 2 guys who suited up for the 91 team and the skinny dweebs never played a down of football in their whole life.

How does that happen in a talent rich state like texas, Earl? How can non-football pedigree guys suit up and play downs in a then d-Iaa conference? There was also “stuff” going on about the “coaching staff” at that time as well (unqualified and not remotely serious about PV improvement)

How can anyone rationalize anything but the truth? (See the athletic “venues” just 10 years ago) Much has vastly improved but it still has a ways to go.

Last edited:
All HBCUs have a loyal alumni community. I definitely know loyal die-hard TSU and PV people and alums (I'm one). I'm saying it's more common and prominent with SU and JSU in my opinion. Also those HBCUs are much more respected in their states which helps them more.

How many TSU and PV alums you know with season tickets to athletic events? SU and JSU average thousands ... even when we both had winning seasons, season ticket holders and fanfare is low to average. SU and JSU are just on a different level and hopefully one day we catch up ... it can happen.

most of it is winning - part of it was community buy in - part of it is tradition but even in the successful markets interest has dropped. SU-JSU was 65K easily but has not hit those numbers in quite some time. There was no social media to hype bands up, etc. People were more interested then with less ways to find out.

Its about winning at TSU - bottom line. I've seen 30K on the road in San Antonio when they were 7-0. They outdrew UH and set the stadium record (never was documented by UH) in 2003 against Southern. LDC always drew 22-30K even with bad programs. The Space City Classic against Grambling would sell out the Dome. But not winning enough over the years coupled with folks not in your corner due to the bad spread of information doesn't help. The basketball games were always well-attended. Only SWAC teams that travel well to help some game
gates were Southern and PV. Grambling doesn't draw like they did and Jackson State has never traveled past Baton Rouge. I can send visual proof if needed.

TSU and PV arguably is the best basketball atmosphere in the SWAC even if both aren't winning but its competitive and folks roll in there with no hesitation.

Overall - You gotta keep the fans there interested by winning but part of it is due to being in Houston but in other sports its bad across the SWAC and they are the only thing in town. People have moved out further to the suburbs, been infiltrated with suburban mentality and won't drive in or hang with non-interested folks which spreads like a bad disease.

you gotta alot of Dallas folks on here and they only commit to events their kids play in consistently as the DFW mentality is worse than Houston.

Why wouldn't a new stadium have adequate parking commensurate with the stadium's capacity?
It could have adequate parking but I don't see anywhere around our campus that could match the amount of parking space that the Vet has. I could be wrong but that's a LOT of parking space. Hopefully I'm wrong. I'd love to see a stadium on campus...............not a dome though.

It could have adequate parking but I don't see anywhere around our campus that could match the amount of parking space that the Vet has. I could be wrong but that's a LOT of parking space. Hopefully I'm wrong. I'd love to see a stadium on campus...............not a dome though.

One concept for maximizing parking may be building parking decks.

Last edited:
All HBCUs have a loyal alumni community. I definitely know loyal die-hard TSU and PV people and alums (I'm one). I'm saying it's more common and prominent with SU and JSU in my opinion. Also those HBCUs are much more respected in their states which helps them more.

How many TSU and PV alums you know with season tickets to athletic events? SU and JSU average thousands ... even when we both had winning seasons, season ticket holders and fanfare is low to average. SU and JSU are just on a different level and hopefully one day we catch up ... it can happen.

Most of those season ticket numbers come from the people who live in those area as there is no other game in town for them to support. SU's numbers have declined since they implemented those new tailgate rules around their stadium and some of those locals stopped coming. This new hire will get JSU's season ticket numbers up from the locals as they want something to do on saturdays and getting to watch Sanders on those sidelines will do that. Hopefully they won't inflate their numbers like they did in 2019 (the income don't match those numbers).

We dont need a Dome, forget shooting out shot, we did that already and it ain't happening. The city councilmen ain't on the same page with the school, some of them jokers trying to get some attention. Cause they trying to run for mayor, build a 40k seat stadium and call it a day and yes on campus.

Both of our more recent graduates (w/in last 50 yrs) are comprised of more spoiled rotten “urban” /suburban types who are severely disloyal, uncommitted, bordering **** lol, apathetic, ... so both schools lost a LOT of momentum when the white folk opened their doors to coloreds in texas in the late 60s.

Just neutrally observing PV’s football situation over the last 50 years, it’s mind-boggling how it transitioned from a powerhouse to a scheme which simply put unqualified bodies on the field and inept “coaching” on the sidelines. What diehard alum desires to support bullshit players, not athletes, being coached by bullshit coaches? (See PV 1991 for supreme example)

I don't know if I fully agree with your assessment lol but JSU has been trash the last couple of years yet the strong fanfare is consistently there. PV got a brand new stadium, additional student housing, growing enrollment, and a decent football program and the fanfare is still more miss than hit ... the hits are what they always been the State Fair Classic, homecoming, and sometimes Labor Day Classic (2017 was tragic). I was really expecting PV to inspire us to get better, still waiting LOL

Most of those season ticket numbers come from the people who live in those area as there is no other game in town for them to support. SU's numbers have declined since they implemented those new tailgate rules around their stadium and some of those locals stopped coming. This new hire will get JSU's season ticket numbers up from the locals as they want something to do on saturdays and getting to watch Sanders on those sidelines will do that. Hopefully they won't inflate their numbers like they did in 2019 (the income don't match those numbers).

SU numbers have declined mainly b/c they keep raising the prices, not so much the tailgating rules. Wages have remained flat but people want to raise everything .... cost of living going up, college cost going up, etc ... so less people buying them. And even with the decline, SU is among the FCS leaders with season ticket sales.

Last edited:

Winning is a cure-all! Just look at SU men's basketball last year! Attendance jumped from just over 1000 fans per game to an average of over 3400 fans per game. Biggest year over year increase in college basketball last year. The only thing that happened is that SU went from an 8th-place SWAC finish to a 2nd-place finish and just one win shy of a tie for the championship. While we have been winning for a while now in football, SU's fanbase is growing discontent with "not dominating" in football, and many are not sure we can do that with Odums. As soon as we are back where we feel we belong, our football numbers will rise again. Baton Rouge has a metro population of just under 1 million people, and is the center of Louisiana's state government. SU is located just 7 miles down the interstate from LSU. So, SU is not the only game in town! Not just for football, but for basketball, baseball and track n field. Not like Houston, but aside from Houston, no other SWAC location has as much going on as does Baton Rouge. And throw in the fact that we are only a 60 minutes drive away from New Orleans and the night life and pro-sports venues it affords, and SU has quite a bit of competition for the local entertainment dollar..

Last edited:
most of it is winning - part of it was community buy in - part of it is tradition but even in the successful markets interest has dropped. SU-JSU was 65K easily but has not hit those numbers in quite some time. There was no social media to hype bands up, etc. People were more interested then with less ways to find out.

Its about winning at TSU - bottom line. I've seen 30K on the road in San Antonio when they were 7-0. They outdrew UH and set the stadium record (never was documented by UH) in 2003 against Southern. LDC always drew 22-30K even with bad programs. The Space City Classic against Grambling would sell out the Dome. But not winning enough over the years coupled with folks not in your corner due to the bad spread of information doesn't help. The basketball games were always well-attended. Only SWAC teams that travel well to help some game
gates were Southern and PV. Grambling doesn't draw like they did and Jackson State has never traveled past Baton Rouge. I can send visual proof if needed.

TSU and PV arguably is the best basketball atmosphere in the SWAC even if both aren't winning but its competitive and folks roll in there with no hesitation.

Overall - You gotta keep the fans there interested by winning but part of it is due to being in Houston but in other sports its bad across the SWAC and they are the only thing in town. People have moved out further to the suburbs, been infiltrated with suburban mentality and won't drive in or hang with non-interested folks which spreads like a bad disease.

you gotta alot of Dallas folks on here and they only commit to events their kids play in consistently as the DFW mentality is worse than Houston.

1) TSU and PV did well back in the day with attendance and fanfare but that's been so long ago I forgot about it. The last 20 years have not been very memorable.
2) I agree TSU and PV generally have pretty good basketball environments for HBCU mid-majors, TSU and PV average basketball attendance consistently is higher than many schools multiple times larger (UT Arlington, SHSU, UTSA, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, etc)
3) Loyal fans will show up for a losing program. JSU been doing it and SU did it. Those are the type of fans we need. It's more than about winning and losing if done right, it's about community and the experience/atmosphere.
4) JSU fans travel well and I got proof. They basically sold out the MEAC/SWAC challenge in Atlanta last Labor Day Weekend. The first time the game ever sold out. BCU fans were the clear minority.
View: https://twitter.com/meac_swac/status/1168288988215463936?lang=en

5) Grambling fans tend to show up big outside Grambling, La unless it's homecoming ... weird but I've seen it. Grambling alumni are everywhere.

part of it is winning - part of it was community buy in -
1) TSU and PV did well back in the day with attendance and fanfare but that's been so long ago I forgot about it. The last 20 years have not been very memorable.
2) I agree TSU and PV generally have pretty good basketball environments for HBCU mid-majors, TSU and PV average basketball attendance consistently is higher than many schools multiple times larger (UT Arlington, SHSU, UTSA, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, etc)
3) Loyal fans will show up for a losing program. JSU been doing it and SU did it. Those are the type of fans we need. It's more than about winning and losing if done right, it's about community and the experience/atmosphere.
4) JSU fans travel well and I got proof. They basically sold out the MEAC/SWAC challenge in Atlanta last Labor Day Weekend. The first time the game ever sold out. BCU fans were the clear minority.

5) Grambling fans tend to show up big outside Grambling, La unless it's homecoming ... weird but I've seen it. Grambling alumni are everywhere.

JSU don’t travel past BR - PV moved a game to Shreveport which benefited JSU and they didn’t show like expected.

The LDC worked better outdoors compared to indoors at an nfl stadium as you can’t create demand. At Robertson you had to get there at a good time to get a good seat.

JSU/SU fans had success so they hung on as long as they can but even they’ve fallen off but Not
As bad. LSU’s emergence has taken a lot of the common fan away and a lot of SW Louisiana students that used to go to SU go to UL for some reason and they don’t get involved. That was a former SU hotspot.

TSU has more upside if they win as its local and folks love to bandwagon out here

Not likely.

I'm not sure a 65,000 seat stadium is needed. I think a 40-45,000 seat stadium with great amenities would be fine. Just design it well to allow JSU to take full advantage of its potential.
I agree. 42,000 in my opinion. Subtract band sections and that leaves 40,000. I rather have a sold out or atleast near capacity stadium than something to big.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
part of it is winning - part of it was community buy in -

JSU don’t travel past BR - PV moved a game to Shreveport which benefited JSU and they didn’t show like expected.

The LDC worked better outdoors compared to indoors at an nfl stadium as you can’t create demand. At Robertson you had to get there at a good time to get a good seat.

JSU/SU fans had success so they hung on as long as they can but even they’ve fallen off but Not
As bad. LSU’s emergence has taken a lot of the common fan away and a lot of SW Louisiana students that used to go to SU go to UL for some reason and they don’t get involved. That was a former SU hotspot.

TSU has more upside if they win as its local and folks love to bandwagon out here

Stop the lies. We do travel. The dude just showed you where we sold out Atlanta in the meac swac challenge. We aren't even going to mention the southern heritage classic. We go to gram deep, valley, alcorn, and decent at bama state. Stick with what you know.

Can you explain why that SWAC-MEAC game was described as a sellout in the tweet? The entire upper decks were empty!

Can you explain why that SWAC-MEAC game was described as a sellout in the tweet? The entire upper decks were empty!

Those seats are not available for fans ... the stadium football capacity is 24K. It's a baseball stadium turn football stadium so some weird logistics

Last edited:
Stop the lies. We do travel. The dude just showed you where we sold out Atlanta in the meac swac challenge. We aren't even going to mention the southern heritage classic. We go to gram deep, valley, alcorn, and decent at bama state. Stick with what you know.

you don’t travel past Baton Rouge - I know that for a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back