National Signing Day 2016 - 2/3/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
So SU head coach allows his assistants to offer someone an athletic scholarship without seeing the prospective player film or a game? I would imagine the coach has to agree that the players his coaches are offering are worthy of a scholarship.

Auburn's head coach didn't want Cam Newton....his assistant gave him a scholarship anyway....

Auburn's head coach didn't want Cam Newton....his assistant gave him a scholarship anyway....

I never heard this nor could I find anything online. Cam is different situations, he was 5 stars and was previously at a SEC school.

I never heard this nor could I find anything online. Cam is different situations, he was 5 stars and was previously at a SEC school.

In Chizik’s book, All In, he says he didn’t want Cam Newton. He didn’t feel like bringing in a junior college transfer QB was the best thing for the program at the time, but Malzahn talked him into it.

http://heartofauburn.com/2014/08/if-he-hadnt-hired-gus-malzahn-gene-chizik-might-still-be-our-coach/

Yep Gus Malzahn was the person who pushed to bring Cam to Auburn. He also was a 4 star not a 5 star.

Isn't that what its all about and Germany had to do the same to offer that QB. That's my point. All recruits have to go through the head coach because he's the one signs the schollie. V mentioned "chad offered." o
Its more than that.

In Chizik’s book, All In, he says he didn’t want Cam Newton. He didn’t feel like bringing in a junior college transfer QB was the best thing for the program at the time, but Malzahn talked him into it.

http://heartofauburn.com/2014/08/if-he-hadnt-hired-gus-malzahn-gene-chizik-might-still-be-our-coach/

Thanks for educating me.

You folks still arguing about the offers? SU offered both kids. But it was widely known that folks around the program wanted the both Lab kids. Meaning Williams that is going to LSU as well. We got the RB they wanted the most. I think we offered the Zachary kid too late. Chad was all over that kid and when he left it was over with. Looking at the fact Tillery and West return along with the West Point kid transferred in. The Curtis kid from JC, the other Curtis kid straight out of HS, Mims from Evangel plus the Lab kid. We got more than enough backs. Sullivan did the right thing going to JSU. He will get a chance to play right away. He wasn't going to have that opportunity at SU. Surprisingly Alcorn didn't offer him though. He's their type of back.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
You folks still arguing about the offers? SU offered both kids. But it was widely known that folks around the program wanted the both Lab kids. Meaning Williams that is going to LSU as well. We got the RB they wanted the most. I think we offered the Zachary kid too late. Chad was all over that kid and when he left it was over with. Looking at the fact Tillery and West return along with the West Point kid transferred in. The Curtis kid from JC, the other Curtis kid straight out of HS, Mims from Evangel plus the Lab kid. We got more than enough backs. Sullivan did the right thing going to JSU. He will get a chance to play right away. He wasn't going to have that opportunity at SU. Surprisingly Alcorn didn't offer him though. He's their type of back.
No he won't. Our backfield is just as crowded as y'all's, but if that excuse makes y'all feel better, then ok.

Chad was su before he was no longer at su, so in theory, "su offered him".
Yes, but perhaps it was Germany that was pushing hard for him while Odums and Berry may not have had him as high on their list. Different OCs have different preferences for their offense. Besides, I don't think anyone has said that the dude isn't good, just that having a dangerous QB back there with him helped him succeed at a high level. It's common sense that your offense is much more dangerous when the defense can't just key in on that one guy in the backfield.

No he won't. Our backfield is just as crowded as y'all's, but if that excuse makes y'all feel better, then ok.
Why would we need to make an excuse? We are good at RB, and had no reason to go all out for to nab another one. Players make their decisions based on a lot of things, maybe Germany sold him the idea of being the perfect fit for his offensive style. Either way, who cares?

Tillery got all those career rushing yds because folks keyed in on Quinn.
See how stupid that sounds?
Tillery is defintiely a great back, but he'll tell you himself that having other weapons on offense opens up more opportunities for big plays for him. If Tillery was our only weapon on offense, then folks would stack the box and key in on him, but because we have a great QB, WRs, and shifty Willie Quinn, defenses have to think about more things than just keying in on Tillery. So that statement you made doesn't stupid at all. Of course the Zachary RB was good, I don't think any on here has said that he wasn't.

Last edited:
Of course the Zachary RB was good, I don't think any on here has said that he wasn't.

Well maybe you should go back and read. You don't have to say it or spell out the words. Its implied when you say things such as the kid only got his yardage in garbage time etc. But anyways this thread is dead. Signing day has came and gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back