K'Hari Lane waiting for an offer than may never come

there are a lot of kids who'd love to play for an hbcu and fbs ball. too bad none of us can provide that for them. one day.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I actually have a lot of respect for this kid. He is taking a bold stance and willing to take a big risk at age 18. Worse comes to worse, he can go to school, get a degree and enter the workforce like everyone else. I wouldn't have had the nerve to try that at 18.

I actually have a lot of respect for this kid. He is taking a bold stance and willing to take a big risk at age 18. Worse comes to worse, he can go to school, get a degree and enter the workforce like everyone else. I wouldn't have had the nerve to try that at 18.

School isn't free. In this day and age if you have guaranteed money to attend a good 4 year school, you'd better take it.

Also, check your PM

And he could do that at the 6 schools that have offered him. It doesn't get anymore academic than Hampton or Morehouse (one of 2 D2 HBCUs that have offered)

And he could do that at the 6 schools that have offered him. It doesn't get anymore academic than Hampton or Morehouse (one of 2 D2 HBCUs that have offered)
Oh, I would have taken an offer. I just have some respect for sticking to your guns. Not saying that I think it was a smart choice.
Ms. State called me and asked me to wait a few weeks after signing day. Told me that they were looking at an RB who might not be eligible and they would offer me a schollie if he didn't get his grades together... I was like na. I am headed to JSU. Plus, coming from an all-white HS, I wanted to be around black women.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I can't say that I feel sorry for him. It would be one thing if he had NO offers, but in this case...
Exactly. One of the things that we see in Alabama is that high school coaches will push kids to go JUCO instead on HBCU. I'm sure that same mentality exists in Georgia and other states. If the kid believes he is too good to come to an HBCU and shine, then let him go JUCO. I hate to see it, but we have much work to do in order to correct this mindset.

Here is the type sh$t that Bama State deals with on a regular. This is a kid that we actually signed, but look at what is coach had to say. Keep in mind, his coach played at Bama State.

"His coach, Daniel Flowers, notes that it is puzzling that Johnson hasn’t received more attention from college coaches. “I guess it is because we haven’t been winning the last couple of years and nobody has seen him,” he said.
Asked if he believes that Johnson is a legitimate high-level Division I prospect, Flowers said, “Oh, yes. I coached at Alabama State and I wouldn’t recommend him to go to a school like that. I think he can play at a higher level."

"http://www.scout.com/college/auburn/story/1706531-in-state-prospect-putting-up-big-numbers"

Here is the type sh$t that Bama State deals with on a regular. This is a kid that we actually signed, but look at what is coach had to say. Keep in mind, his coach played at Bama State.

"His coach, Daniel Flowers, notes that it is puzzling that Johnson hasn’t received more attention from college coaches. “I guess it is because we haven’t been winning the last couple of years and nobody has seen him,” he said.
Asked if he believes that Johnson is a legitimate high-level Division I prospect, Flowers said, “Oh, yes. I coached at Alabama State and I wouldn’t recommend him to go to a school like that. I think he can play at a higher level."

"http://www.scout.com/college/auburn/story/1706531-in-state-prospect-putting-up-big-numbers"

now that's a dogon shame. This mentality is the main problem we face. Not respecting what we have ourselves

This thread is reminding of what FAMU's Jake Gaither said in the late 1960s about Black high school coaches, some of them HBCU grads, sending their players to the PWCs.

In MS these HS coaches encourage these kids to go JUCO before "settling" for an HBCU. One prominent coach here in MS said that when it comes to advising his players, it's FBS first, JUCO 2nd and then schools like JSU.

I have heard that as well from some Mississippi folks I know. A lot of Florida kids are taught the same thing. It's amazing. A kid would rather play at a non HBCU JUCU in Mississippi than playing in the SWAC or MEAC. So many kids go to JUCO and fail academically, while other never get their dream SEC call. Some get their call from the FAU's and Charlotte's of world, but many of them fall into the traps of going 3-8 to 6-6 in 2 years and never playing in a bowl game or making a name for themselves. I guess being able to sport a "FIU football" hoodie or sweatsuit after going 2-9 and 3-8 in your 2 years is better than winning a celebration bowl on ABC or SWAC title game on ESPN. Ok.

I'm from Jackson MS I played football baseball and track. Southern gave me a partial scholarship. But I was recruited lightly in football by several jucos. It so ironic when people (coaches) talk down on the swac when there juco coaches. This one coach I'm talking about ALL of y'all know. Coach Hughes use to talk down on the swac when he was coaching at Hinds juco. He use to say " don't go swac" but look where he at j st. Smh that's so ironic, God puts you in places for you to b humbled. All I'm saying never look down on people because you never know where you will end up!!

Back