Just Curious...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
So true Sister! AND while it is true...so many churches are still lead by those who believe the woman is to be "quiet"...

Originally posted by JSTUS
Empty, unorganized , and HUNGRY.

Along those lines, do you realize there are some who feel that women should not be in the pulpit. I take the approach that who am I to say whether God has called someone to deliver his word. Especially when I see so many minister's doing more "chasing" than me!

Originally posted by MikeBigg
Along those lines, do you realize there are some who feel that women should not be in the pulpit. I take the approach that who am I to say whether God has called someone to deliver his word. Especially when I see so many minister's doing more "chasing" than me!

Very true Mike.

There is an excellent article in GOSPEL TODAY magazine (FEB. 2002 issue) about women in the ministry. Check it out if y'all get a chance. It talks about Yolanda Adams, Cece Winans, and Vicki Winans. It stresses how if you are an artist, people are more acceptable to you delivering the word of God as a woman.

Originally posted by JSTUS

Very true Mike.

There is an excellent article in GOSPEL TODAY magazine (FEB. 2002 issue) about women in the ministry. Check it out if y'all get a chance. It talks about Yolanda Adams, Cece Winans, and Vicki Winans. It stresses how if you are an artist, people are more acceptable to you delivering the word of God as a woman.

I LOVE CECE!!!!!!!!! What is her real name?? I never knew her real name.

I don't know her real name.

In a portion of her article, she talks about how BeBe ran the business aspect of their singing when they first started. She said she just wanted to sing. That stuck out to me because it shows sincerity.

She's running it. She said she has actively began to learn the business and do the business and tries to encourage other woman that you have to get in there and take care of your business.

Yes, a lot of Baptists do not allow female ministers. Simply from the misinterpretation of these scriptures.

1 Corinthians 14:33-35
For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1 Timothy 2:11-13
Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by BluBlood
Yes, a lot of Baptists do not allow female ministers. Simply from the misinterpretation of these scriptures.

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

Alot of people need to study up on that scripture. Someone recently explained that scripture to me and why Paul wrote it like that. :)

NO! NO! NO!

Originally posted by BluBlood

I am Baptist. and it not because of a "MISINTERPETATATION" of these scriptures.

Blu, The reasons why some (key word, SOME) lets say churches dont believe in female ministers are:

1Ti 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
1Ti 3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
1Ti 3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

1. How can a female pastor have a wife??
A female pastor must be a husband to one wife. Unless you take it the "in general" way. Meaning, when Paul wrote about husband, he meant Man and Woman respectfully.

Gen 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Eph 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

2. How can a female pastor be married and be the physical leader over a church?

She can't how can a woman be submissive at home and be the physical leader of the church away from home. That is hypocritical.

We can discuss this more, if you want. I am very open minded about this subject. I just believe people are confussing evanglist with Pastoring, Minister, or being a Bishop.

:D:D

docmump,

That was a good post. I guess people may always be 'divided' when it comes to the interpretation of scripture, especially this subject.

Just a thought, of course ALL of God's Word is complete Truth....when the bible says for a woman to submit to her man as her man submits to the Lord, I wouldn't think that she would be bound to the submission command IF her husband was not submitting to the Lord himself, according to that scripture. That means that a woman can be non-submissive & still be in God's Will. She submits only when He first submits.

When the bible talks about a woman not having authority over a man, the idea is that the man is rulling as He Should rule. When that's not the case and the man is not ruling as he Should, I believe that God will use whoever is willing nd ready. We're told to "Praise God" according to scripture, but IF WE DON'T, "The Rocks will cry out" according to scripture. The original command is not for rocks to praise God but if the person whom He first chooses to praise Him for some reason decides not to, God will use something or someone else.

Of course, The ideal situation is that men follow God & have the authority:
I Timothy 2:11-13 "women should learn in silence with subjection, not over a man,...Adam was formed first, then Eve."
I don't think that this scripture should be as literal as some take it because the Lord has ordained a woman to have complete authority over men before.(read about deborah, leader of God's peopole) Plus if it was to be taken literally, we shouldn't find any places in the bible from the time of Adam and Eve where God ordained a woman to lead His people.
God told a man to obey Him & go somewhere alone, he wouldn't go unless Deborah went with him according to the story in the book of Chronicles. Where there's weak men, God will always and has always raised up a strong woman,(& even donkeys!) regardless of what position needs to be filled.
The scripture Timothy also says for women not to wear braids in their hair or any gold. Is that to be taken literal, or is God trying to show us a deeper PRINCIPLE?

Of course, I could be completely wrong but I feel that this is the understanding that God has given to me on this subject so I'm not mad at the women representing for Jesus in any and in every way. I Love Joyce Myers!

nevaehinvesting

I am Church of Christ and women are not allowed to preach. The reason they do not preach, is not based on A MISINTERPETATATION OF THE SCRIPTURE. It based solely on bibical teaching. The key to understanding what God mean is to understand, the culture, language and setting.

Please do not take offense. However, let us consider that a lot of these new testament scriptures comes from the Apostle Paul. Paul himself was often at odds with the original twelve disciples of Christ and was often wont to render his own interpretations.

I'm not refuting anything in the Bible, and I'm sure that no one else is claiming to be the authority on Biblical facts, but I honestly think that Paul's interpretations and renderings were influenced by the policies of that era as much as divine guidance. You must remember that Paul lived in the Middle East who's culture was no pro-woman in the least.

However, notice that although Christ did not have women among the original 12 (that would have caused great unrest and confusion), he did have women who were among his followers. Did not he reveal himself (following crucifixtion) to the women first and instruct them to to and tell my brethren that they go into Galilee and there shall they see me. We see from this Scripture that women were the first to bear witness to Christ's resurrection from the dead.

Mike,
No offense taken. Lets Discuss
Please do not take offense. However, let us consider that a lot of these new testament scriptures comes from the Apostle Paul. Paul himself was often at odds with the original twelve disciples of Christ and was often wont to render his own interpretations.
True, Paul was at odds with the disciples, only because he was originally a prosecutor of Christians. That is what he did until he was converted. He was so good at prosecuting the Christians that many did not believe him until after his baptism.

However, notice that although Christ did not have women among the original 12 (that would have caused great unrest and confusion), he did have women who were among his followers. Did not he reveal himself (following crucifixtion) to the women first and instruct them to to and tell my brethren that they go into Galilee and there shall they see me. We see from this Scripture that women were the first to bear witness to Christ's resurrection from the dead.
True, a great definition of evangelism, not a call to the ministry. Also, they were the tomb to place the spices Luke 24:1 and Mark 16:1. and true Jesus told them he was not there.

First of all let me apologize for re-inventing the wheel...

on the RoundTable board. I didn't know that a forum was already established on this issue.

Now my take on some of these scriptures. I believe that a lot of what was stated in the Bible dealt with the situation and conditions at hand. There were laws and customs in effect that dealt with the responsibilities of men and women with the women playing subservient roles. Now there are also scriptures where slavemasters justified slavery to our forefathers. What about those?

Jesus taught us to look at the principles of what God wanted from us. Did not the women wash the feet of the men as they entered into the house? Did not Jesus himself do this in the upper room? I think that the underlying principles out weigh these quotes.

The 1st Timothy scriptures are the explanation I have heard, but SOME men do not run their households now, so how can we depend upon SOME of them to run the church? How do you let known adulterers, alcoholics and crack heads sit in the pulpit when you KNOW that is what they are doing, but refuse to let a good Christian woman who has been called by God to do the same? Is it not the duty of the BISHOP to oversee the church and it's religious administration (i.e., associate pastors, evangelists, etc.)? I am not well schooled in the Bible as many of my friends, but I do know that a lot of what happens in the Bible has background information relevant to the individuals, the land, and the actual interpretation of the Greek or Judaic words used by the speaker or the writer.

A message of hope and salvation can come from a child. I just hope that we listen and not get caught up in whether it was a boy or a girl child.

Back