JSU's 2004 football schedule SWAC-heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Fiyah
I spoke with folks from PV and TxSu and they stated that the JSU schedule is incorrect to their knowledge. Both sources was quoting the composite conferance schedule that they had in their possession. Everyone is looking forward to the Labor Day Classic between these two schools and their new coach's going at it.

I heard JSU is going to move the JSU/Texas Southern football game to the Saturday after the Capital City Classic.

Are you all saying that you don't want to play PVAM, and TxSo or any other SWAC school if it does not count?

I love the 9 game schedule and the SCG.

Originally posted by MightyDog
Are you all saying that you don't want to play PVAM, and TxSo or any other SWAC school if it does not count?

That's exactly what we're saying.

Check the attendance for the games the last time JSU went to PV and TSU. It does them no good to have us come to them, just as it does us no good for them to come to us. It only creates a bigger expense for each school to travel to the other. For the same reason AAMU says it doesn't wanna play Jax. State, we don't wanna have to play PV or TSU. They should feel the same way, because attendance ain't good when JSU visits them. May as well find an opponent that has more appeal to them, just as we should be able to find opponents more appealing to us.

Are you also saying that PVAM and TxSU should leave the SWAC?
No. I'm saying if the games don't count as conference games, then PV and TSU shouldn't be forced to play JSU, because that game ain't a big financial success for either them. Same for us.

Originally posted by Robber
No. I'm saying if the games don't count as conference games, then PV and TSU shouldn't be forced to play JSU, because that game ain't a big financial success for either them. Same for us.

What if GSU, SU, or Alcorn rotate off your schedule in the same year?

No AD wants to load up a schedule with 12 top teams.

As you well know, nobody is talking about Lincoln and Allen because those games helped to make Su BCF Camps.

As you well know, nobody is talking about Lincoln and Allen because those games helped to make Su BCF Camps.

Alcorn can never rotate off the schedule(same division). Su and GSU are desirable games for our fans, so we'd still want to play them when they rotate off the schedule. The key is flexibility and choice; we'd like the option of being able to schedule teams outside the conference if we chose to.

The Allen and Lincoln games may have helped Su become BCF champs(for whatever that's worth), but scheduling those types of games keep you from realizing your true potential as a football program.

Originally posted by TBone2
I heard JSU is going to move the JSU/Texas Southern football game to the Saturday after the Capital City Classic.

Bad move, JSU. That's the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The same Saturday as the Bayou Classic. The only thing that would be able to draw some interest would be to have the Capital City Classic the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Alcorn-UAPB won't draw fans. It doesn't draw fans now. JSU-TxSU isn't a draw, either.

If this is true, JSU, Texas Southern, Alcorn, and UAPB need to all sit down at the same table and disuss switching the dates. Alcorn and JSU need to play on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. That's the only game that would be able to draw that weekend being up against the Bayou Classic.

JSU, I'll talk to folks on my end. You talk to the people on your end and let's see if we can get the Capital City Classic moved to the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

99, I believe in compromising because nothing should be one sided. To make it fair, I could redesignate those games that count and they would not have to be in the same Division. Therefore, I would give you another game and rotate everyone. When you have the games you want I guess it would be ok.

Mighty Dog, I don't agree with JSU'99 at all. I think that playing teams that are not on your rotation is c**n-age thinking. You know how people get ghetto names like Sheniqua and Rhodalisha??? It's because people want to get creative and end up doing something stupid. Different normally ends up meaning ghetto. If a person wants to name a child something that no one has named theirs, they might want to first ask themselves why no one else ever came up with that name. It's because it's stupid. The SWAC needs to ask themselves the same thing. However, I am only one person. I am sure that there are some JSU alums who would have a fit if we did not play SU and Grambling every year. In my opinion, this mandate only affects Alcorn, JSU, Gram and Southern. I don't know if we could make it or not by not playing each other but something tells me that we could.

I can see why you like this because your school benefits. Your school is growing from this whereas in my eyes, JSU will suffer from this. I would never want to hold AAMU down but it should not be done at the expense of JSU....especially at the recommendation of JW's sorry arse.

Originally posted by Alcorn Warrior
Bad move, JSU. That's the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The same Saturday as the Bayou Classic. The only thing that would be able to draw some interest would be to have the Capital City Classic the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Alcorn-UAPB won't draw fans. It doesn't draw fans now. JSU-TxSU isn't a draw, either.

If this is true, JSU, Texas Southern, Alcorn, and UAPB need to all sit down at the same table and disuss switching the dates. Alcorn and JSU need to play on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. That's the only game that would be able to draw that weekend being up against the Bayou Classic.

JSU, I'll talk to folks on my end. You talk to the people on your end and let's see if we can get the Capital City Classic moved to the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I agree. We also need to understand that this is totally putting even more SWAC teams out of playoff contention. If SU wins the WEST and TxSo suprisingly comes in at 9-2 or 10-1, they would have to go sit they arse at home. This is not right.

TP, are you saying that JSU should not be a member of the SWAC? I am basing my question on what I just read. What you are saying is that you want the right to pick and choose the teams you want to play in the SWAC. Take any conference in the USA and you will find that all of their games are not money games.

If each school could sell about 10,000 season tickets, we would not have to worry about rainy days.

TP, are you saying that JSU should not be a member of the SWAC? I am basing my question on what I just read. What you are saying is that you want the right to pick and choose the teams you want to play in the SWAC. Take any conference in the USA and you will find that all of their games are not money games.

If each school could sell about 10,000 season tickets, we would not have to worry about rainy days.

When did I say I wanted to pick and choose my games?? I said that I could live without playing SU and Gram which are money games for us. I want schedule flexibility. The thing that you won't find in conference in the USA is how they just make up rules as they go along. We have had Divsions in the SWAC for 5 years and this is our 3rd format change. There will be a 4th in about two years. I enjoy being in the SWAC, I just want them to conduct business professionally. A 4+3 plus any combination of the other 2 is not professional. A 9-game mandate plus a SWAC title game is not professional. Beyond that, it is not rational.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Mighty Dog, I don't agree with JSU'99 at all. I think that playing teams that are not on your rotation is c**n-age thinking.
I was under the impression that this statement meant that you wanted teams to rotate off the schedule

I am sure that there are some JSU alums who would have a fit if we did not play SU and Grambling every year. In my opinion, this mandate only affects Alcorn, JSU, Gram and Southern.

I aslo thought this meant pick and choose

I don't know if we could make it or not by not playing each other but something tells me that we could.

I thought this meant moving toward independecy

I can see why you like this because your school benefits. Your school is growing from this whereas in my eyes, JSU will suffer from this. I would never want to hold AAMU down but it should not be done at the expense of JSU....especially at the recommendation of JW's sorry arse.

TP, everyone benefits if they try to support improving the SWAC

I have said from day one AAMU has made more money on football playing in the SWAC than in the SIAC. I don't think most fans understand that money is being made. You cannot count one or two ballgames to count your profits, but you take the average for the season and count your money.

I am with Tigerpride on this issue.

But, after reviewing the responses by many our posters. It is becoming even more clear why our coaches suggested this and our presidents voted for it.

Shaking My Head!!

I am in favor of Prairie View A & M University remaining in the SWAC. But, I am not a fan or in favor of the SWAC mandatory 9 game format for football. At the end of the day, with my research on this particular subject it is difficult for me to actually justify in a cost anaylsis evaluation, support of the current SWAC 9 game mandate.

I do not agree with the assessment that the SWAC is not professional. But I do agree that this decision is not very rational to me. I have not read anything to this point that has changed my opinion on this particular subject.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
I am with Tigerpride on this issue.

But, after reviewing the responses by many our posters. It is becoming even more clear why our coaches suggested this and our presidents voted for it.

Shaking My Head!!

I am in favor of Prairie View A & M University remaining in the SWAC. But, I am not a fan or in favor of the SWAC mandatory 9 game format for football. At the end of the day, with my research on this particular subject it is difficult for me to actually justify in a cost anaylsis evaluation, support of the current SWAC 9 game mandate.

At present time what is fair to all schools and I am not speaking from a fan point of view. Sometimes we cannot look at cost when a foundation is being built. I think we are still experimenting with new ideas in the SWAC. In fact, with the current format the SWAC is able to sell the SCG to everyone but our fans. But our fans are dedicated to their schools rather than supporting the current SWAC format. I will not call any names but some schools have problems scheduling games. PWCs will play a HBCU at the beginning of the season, but will not play us as the 3rd or 4th game, because the team may have ironed out its mistakes.

Jafus, I can see some possible benefit but the school need to really work together on this. A good example is how Mighty Dog called UAPB and asked them to drop Kentucky State so the two teams with no interest in each other could make some money playing each other. :) In doing so, the SWAC also took control of yet another major BCF classic.

JSU and PV might also want to look at similar avenues if we want this to work. The only problem I have is that JSU and PV will only work if PV become competive again or we play PV in a classic (ie the Jackson State University...I mean...Chicago Classic, Circle City Classic, San Diego, Jackson State University Classic II...oops I mean ..The Peach State, etc.) If this works we need to get creative. The only problem with that is that JSU wants a good home schedule and too many classics to make a buck just does not do it. JSU could get 10K fans into Memorial and make just as much as we would if we played a Classic somewhere. We just need to find teams that can draw 10 K each week at home.

This can work but we need to get creative.

..the question is how well can we work together?? Culberson is not going to agree to very many classics unless we are the visiting team. Southern wants as many home games as possible. This is why I don't think this is going to last for very many years.

Mighty Dog,

At present time what is fair to all schools and I am not speaking from a fan point of view. Sometimes we cannot look at cost when a foundation is being built.

I would agree with this assessment.

I think we are still experimenting with new ideas in the SWAC. In fact, with the current format the SWAC is able to sell the SCG to everyone but our fans. But our fans are dedicated to their schools rather than supporting the current SWAC format.

I understand this delimia. But, I think if you are not careful you can experiment yourself out of business or to the point hat your loyal customers are no longer happy.

Altough I agree that the SWAC is able to sell the SCG to everyone but our fans is true. But I think part of the problems is based on the fact that all the match-ups have been played before. There are also other reasons outside of marketing issues. Such as weather and date (during graduation for many schools & after students have left campus for the holidays) have played a roll in selling the SCG to our fans.

I will not call any names but some schools have problems scheduling games. PWCs will play a HBCU at the beginning of the season, but will not play us as the 3rd or 4th game, because the team may have ironed out its mistakes.

This is an interesting issues. I would think that we would have other options when we consider all the various scenarios for scheduling programs (i.e. NAIA HBCU programs, NCAA Division II HBCU programs, NCAA Division I AA HBCU programs as well as their PWC counterparts) to allow the issues of PWCs wanting to dictate the timing/date of games to be played versus what economcially will be best for the SWAC.

It reads as if you a great deal of information to support your stance on issue. While I feel comfortable with the information I have on the issue, as well. It will be intriguing for me to get into more details on this issue with you during our next encounter.

PWCs will play a HBCU at the beginning of the season, but will not play us as the 3rd or 4th game, because the team may have ironed out its mistakes.

I think this has more to do with the fact that most other conferences have all their conference games lined up at the end of the season than anybody being worried about mistakes having been ironed out.

What week did SFA play Alcorn?

TSU/Nicholls?

TP, every school would like to have six home games because of financial reasons. Every SWAC school can schedule 3 non-conference and that is enough, but those schools who will play you will not come to Jackson, because they want to make the money and give you 15,000 to 25,000 thousand dollars. You will find that all the good dates are not available. I would love to attend the JSU/Alcorn Game each year, just as I attend the BC. I would like to start back going to the Turkey Day Classic, but there is not enough time to make all the events.

TP, long before we joined the SWAC promoters constantly tried to get us to go 1AA, because of the impact we would have on various markets. The issue we faced is that none of the HBCU schools wanted to play a Div 2 school and lose. Now that we are in the SWAC, we are more appealing to all promoters. We have been in position to move our home games away because we know that our fans will travel, but will not support home games on a large scale. Therefore, anytime we can make more on the road than at home, it is best to take the money. Two back to back winning seasons help.

Originally posted by PNeck019
I think this has more to do with the fact that most other conferences have all their conference games lined up at the end of the season than anybody being worried about mistakes having been ironed out.

What week did SFA play Alcorn?

TSU/Nicholls?

There are many factors involved in scheduling and even for the SWAC to line up nine games requires some give and take. Schools make deals with other schools. For example the St Louis Classic timing was right.

Every SWAC school can schedule 3 non-conference and that is enough, but those schools who will play you will not come to Jackson

We have never had a problem with this before....and why should it matter how much they give us??? How much do we give them??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back