Not open for further replies.

Dr. Tripp

http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0402/04/tjsu02.html

February 4, 2004

JSU '04 schedule SWAC-heavy

Tigers will play 9 league teams; only 7 to count in standings

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Jackson State's football team was originally scheduled to host Nicholls State this fall.

The Tigers won't be playing the Colonels, though, because of a new mandate from the Southwestern Athletic Conference requiring each school to play the other nine schools in the league.

That twist left JSU athletic director Roy Culberson with only two slots for non-conference games, and those slots were already contractually filled. The Tigers will host Northwestern (La.) State in a return game on Sept. 11 and play Tennessee State in Memphis on Sept. 18 as part of the Southern Heritage Classic.

"That's why the schedule sets up the way it does," said Culberson of the 11-game schedule released by JSU on Tuesday. "Ideally, you would like to have at least one revenue-driven game, but the mandate makes it much more difficult to schedule that type of game.

"It caused some problems for us, and I'm sure it caused some problems for other people around the league as well."

JSU, which finished 2-10 last season under first-year coach James Bell, opens Sept. 4 against Texas Southern at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.That is one of five home games for the Tigers, who close the regular season Nov. 20 against rival Alcorn State in the annual Capital City Classic.

JSU has an open date on Oct. 2 before hitting the road for the rest of the month. The Tigers are scheduled to play Alabama State in Mobile and Southern University in the Superdome.

Only seven of the games against the other nine league teams will count in the SWAC standings. Arkansas-Pine Bluff (Oct. 30) and Prairie View (Nov. 13) are the games that don't count for the Tigers.

"There's a cycle they use to determine which games count and which ones don't," Culberson said.

JSU 2004 football schedule: http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0402/04/tjsu02a.html

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by JSU/99
I really hate this mandate. It's useless.
I hate it, too. I hope those that asked for it get the intended benefit.

Had Nichols State coming to Jacktown. Woulda been nice. And we lose a home game and are forced to go way to PV. The more I think about it, the more shullbit I think this mandate is. They taking money out of our pockets.

JSU 2004 football schedule

The Clarion-Ledger

Sept. 4 Texas Southern 6 p.m.

Sept. 11 Northwestern Louisiana 6 p.m.

Sept. 18 at Tennessee State 6 p.m.

Sept. 25 Mississippi Valley State 6 p.m.

Oct. 9 at Alabama State 3 p.m.

Oct. 16 at Southern University 1 p.m.

Oct. 23 at Grambling State 1:30 p.m.

Oct. 30 at Arkansas-Pine Bluff 6:30 p.m.

Nov. 6 Alabama A&M 4 p.m.

Nov. 13 at Priarie View A&M 3 p.m.

Nov. 20 Alcorn State 1:30 p.m.

Originally posted by Robber
The more I think about it, the more shullbit I think this mandate is. They taking money out of our pockets.

:smh: at the SWAC Office and SWAC Commissioner! :redhot: Anyone in the right mind can see that the mandate is not going to benefit any of the SWAC teams and will do more at reducing overall revenue that increasing! I tell ya.....stupid folks! :confused:

Originally posted by mighty hornet
3:00?????
:confused:

I agree that this mandate is STUPID

so MH.... I take it that since JSU is playing ASU in Mobile, then SU and Bama St are playing in Montgomery????

I believe the time is incorrect for the JSU vs Bama State game.

That will be the Gulf Coast Classic, and that is almost always an evening game. The kick-off will probably be 6:00.

Can somebody explain to me who came up with this crap.IF seven only count why are we playing all .The swac is dumb.Why have the scg then .It has no meaning at all.They need to have it liek other conferences .You are mandated to only 5 or 6 conference teams.The swac could could keep teh ol rivalries in place but all those non factor games.Let team sschedule out of conference to play competition.This is why the nfl questions our comp. This is ridiculious.Robert vowels need his azz kicked!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by STC_60
This is ridiculious.Robert vowels need his azz kicked!!!!!!!!!!!

over, and over, and over, and over and over again!!!!!! :smh: kick it until there's no more arse to kick! :lmao:

make him arseless!!!! :emlaugh:

Who voted on this crap.How can we shake that inferior conferecne if we are not allowe d to play mroe than two non conf . games.Doug this is all your fault!!!!!!!!HOWARD AND SAVANNAH STATE!!!YOU HAVE GO TBEO KIDDING ME!!!!pete richardson style al day baby. Anything less than 12-0 is cause for a azzwhipping and more vacant prking spots.LET US ALL SAY TOGETHER IN ONE VOICE PLAY SOMEBODY.I spent all year riding su folks for crap last year and he does the same thing.12-0 OR SOEMONE IS CHANGING ADDRESSES AGAIN!!!!!!!!BELIEVE THAT!HOWARD AND SAVANNAH ST !!!!!!!!NO SMU NO SFA NO MCNEESE!!RUN FROM EM HA!!!12-0 IS A SUCCESSS ANYTHING LESS IS GORUNDS FOR RELOCATION.who is on the schedule next year?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
STC_60............

This is what happens when you procrastinate. I told you nearly a year ago to go in Doug's office and have a heart to heart with him. I don't know what you are waiting on.

JROCK, Jafus....somebody "PLEASEEEEEE" tell me how many time do we have to go over this same topic until they realize that the coaches wanted this? :rolleyes:

The coa ches wanted this crap.Why ???This hurts swac rep .EVERYBODY CAN GO 12-0 IF TEHY SCHEDULE EASY AND WIUN ALL OF THEIR SWACGAMES.12-0 ANYHTING LESS IS FAILURE .Heart to heart my foot.How abotu my money is going to his pocket via tickets and taxes paid to the state.Aint no need to talk . Step up and play somebody .point blank.That's why they only had 500 people at the =savannah stATE GAME NO INTRIGUE OR BIG NAME DRAW!!0-10 COME ON MAN WE CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT!!

Originally posted by STC_60
How abotu my money is going to his pocket via tickets and taxes paid to the state.Aint no need to talk .

This is what's wrong with us with HBCU Football. We think buying a ticket and paying taxes is enough to put the best on the field.

its not but a coach who is putting the best on the field would help don't you think.Only at hbcu 's will we taqke what cheese is handing out to us. They don't take this at pws .So why should we settle for less. I thought the coach should know who to play and when to play them.As long is money is green and does not grow out of my azz or on trees i will continue to voice my opinion on issues i don't like and others liek me don't like either but will not say.ITS my right as a double muslim !!!!!

I thought it was the SWAC Council of Presidents who wanted this format? ($$$$$$ that the lower tier SWAC schools weren't receiving while those same $$$$ were going to "outside" teams)

At any rate, the format doesn't make sense w/ us having an E-W format and a SCG.

Why have the SCG if every team must play the other? :confused:

Pros/cons either way. I'm most def for each SWAC school playing each other :tup: because <b>I understand the value and power of the black dollar and how it affects other institutions</b>.

Originally posted by cat daddy
This is what's wrong with us with HBCU Football. We think buying a ticket and paying taxes is enough to put the best on the field.

Ditto!!!!

Since you all are so ticked about the 9 game mandate why don't you throw your weight around and have that mandate resended. It's your dollars that are funding the program.

Originally posted by Robber
Had Nichols State coming to Jacktown. Woulda been nice. And we lose a home game and are forced to go way to PV. The more I think about it, the more shullbit I think this mandate is. They taking money out of our pockets.

You actually think Nichols State will bring fans to Jacktown? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back