Joel Olsteen

Status
Not open for further replies.
CriTAUcal said:
Is anyone stepping up to the plate to say something to Lakewood? Has anyone approached Lakewood about doing more within this community? Has it been addressed in public in questioning their plans (if any) to help develop the area? Or is everyone just complaining and looking down their nose on Lakewood for their new facility?

Does anyone KNOW if Lakewood actually does not do anything in that community?

white folks left lakewood years ago....whomever is on the board of the church (may be some tokens, who knows) obviously they don't care about the community....the move was WELL-RECEIVED by parishoners.....there's no tax base in the districtas it is so there's no money coming in....if the church is supposed to be a PILLAR of the community, then they need to do their part.

at 90 million....I hope their not crammed either but I remember the sight lines in the arena..:rolleyes: damn...that's alot of money for a building

as for my setting in school.....individual attention goes a long way...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Fortitude said:
Why don't ALL the churches in Houston do something about this "deserving" area? Is it the responsibility of only ONE church? Why does one ALWAYS have to do what SOMEONE else wants them to do? Lakewood can do WHATEVER Lakewood wants to do with the $600,000 - that's THEIR business.

The Churches in the area does help the community but remember this is not the richest area in the Houston area. It is not the responsibility of one Church but if that one Church can help like we all know that Lakewood can, couldn't they do more? It's true, What Lakewood does with it's money is their business.

Fortitude said:
Docmump: Is the church you attend in a stable, nice, clean, upstanding, almost picture perfect neighborhood? What role did your church play in getting it there? So are churches in the business of saving souls or cleaning up communities?
My Church? No, Friendship is located in the Trinity Gardens Area in Houston. It's a poor neighborhood as well. My Chuch have after a school program, a food pantry, and we are building a friends and fellowship building.

Is the Church in the business of saving souls or cleaning up communities? Did you read one of my post? Here let me post it again.

Luk 4:18 - 19 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Only God can save souls, the church is just a mechanism to assist him. But the real question is what do we do after we are saved? ;) Please read above. That's the purpose of the Church - To preach the Gospel, Heal he brokenhearted, Deliver the captives, to give sight to the blind, and to free them that are slaves.

jag4life said:

Right!

For all we know they are busy in the community or have projects in the works that Houston people don't see.
Just because they may not be doing what some people think they should be doing, doesn't mean that they aren't busy in the community or reaching out globally. We tend to want to put people in a box to operate... just like we do God...

CriTAUcal said:
Is anyone stepping up to the plate to say something to Lakewood? Has anyone approached Lakewood about doing more within this community? Has it been addressed in public in questioning their plans (if any) to help develop the area? Or is everyone just complaining and looking down their nose on Lakewood for their new facility?

Yes, people have but not me personally.
Yes, people have but not me personally.
Yes, there is a plan called NE2000 that was stated by past mayor Lee Brown. I do not know the current status of the project though.
A lot of people that grew up in Lakewood is bitter, in which I am one. But I have always complained about Lakewood.

jag4life said:

You sound like you doubt me... :lol:
The Band Fan also grew up in Houston but I encourage you to ask around and not take what we say about Lakewood as the Law.

I have some friends who attend Lakewood. I will ask them. I can't speak on it first hand because I am not a member. However, I know my friends well and I know that they do have outreach ministries.

Their is a guy on this page who attends Lakewood. Let him speak. I have seen things on their website where help is available. However, HELP (as Kirbyjon would say) aint never knocked on my door and told me, "Come on, I have a new job for you today. I also have a brand new car or cab fair for you to get to the job...." Kirby teaches that you have to make some effort also. Jobs don't come knock on your door to get you.

That community can help itself. That community is Houston's problem....and yes Joel has helped plenty of people.

CriTAUcal said:
Right!

For all we know they are busy in the community or have projects in the works that Houston people don't see.
Just because they may not be doing what some people think they should be doing, doesn't mean that they aren't busy in the community or reaching out globally. We tend to want to put people in a box to operate... just like we do God...
I am not saying that Lakewood doesn't help out globally. They do, no question about that.

I am say they do not help out locally, in the Northeast area in which their Church resides.

You've complained about Lakewood...Have you taken your complaints to them in the form of a letter to request a new ministry to help the community? What project have you presented at the City Council Meetings to change that community?

docmump said:
A lot of people that grew up in Lakewood is bitter, in which I am one. But I have always complained about Lakewood.

That's quite apparent.

docmump said:
I am say they do not help out locally, in the Northeast area in which their Church resides.

That you've seen or heard...

Docmump: Why don't y'all run up to Lakewood & demand (or even jack 'em) they give y'all their checkbooks because y'all got an agenda that needs to be completed & they ain't on that page so you're gonna MAKE them get on it. :D

Fortitude said:
Docmump: Why don't y'all run up to Lakewood & demand (or even jack 'em) they give y'all their checkbooks because y'all got an agenda that needs to be completed & they ain't on that page so you're gonna MAKE them get on it. :D

:angel2:

they may help.....but for the resorces they have...they ain't helping enough.....they have $90 million to spend on a building...you can funnel that back into the hood and make great things happen...

Forest Brook baseball made a state playoff baseball run in 2002...unheard of from a black school....did Lakewood recognize that? nope....

but lets face it...those 10K folks now don't have an excuse to cross 610 ever again....if there is a need that needs to be addressed immediately the masses won't see it...

lets face it...church is a business

Fortitude said:

Why? I am not asked them to give anything to the community. I believe that the Church, by nature, should want to do for it's community. There is a difference.
That's like me telling you "You should be saved." instead of you accepting salvation on your own freewill.

NOTE: Lakewood does give but not to it's local community. My issue is locally not globally. So some co-worker may say "Yes, my Church gives." but will she say "My Church gives to the Lakewood community."?
:angel2:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
the band fan said:
they may help.....but for the resorces they have...they ain't helping enough.....they have $90 million to spend on a building...you can funnel that back into the hood and make great things happen...

Forest Brook baseball made a state playoff baseball run in 2002...unheard of from a black school....did Lakewood recognize that? nope....

but lets face it...those 10K folks now don't have an excuse to cross 610 ever again....if there is a need that needs to be addressed immediately the masses won't see it...

lets face it...church is a business

I am so glad you are posting as well.

When Tropical Storm Allison came through and washed out the homes of the people who live over there....I remember Lakewood being on TV opening its doors for people to have a clean dry place to sleep and get food. That was for the people IN that community.

www.lakewood.cc

J4J said:
You've complained about Lakewood...Have you taken your complaints to them in the form of a letter to request a new ministry to help the community? What project have you presented at the City Council Meetings to change that community?

DOCMUMP: What are YOU doing to help the community that you hold dear to your heart?

J4J said:
When Tropical Storm Allison came through and washed out the homes of the people who live over there....I remember Lakewood being on TV opening its doors for people to have a clean dry place to sleep and get food. That was for the people IN that community.

www.lakewood.cc

Only because they had a banquet there that night and was flooded in as well. People saw that the lights were on and went there.

Know the real story instead of what the Media projects.

Ya'll are killing me at how ya'll would like to bully Lakewood in how they use their money! :lol:

If you're so dis-satisfied with what you see in that community, YOU do something! Don't rely on a church to share YOUR vision or operate within what YOUR mission is. :smh:
Otherwise, you look like a bunch of hypocrites your ownselves by glorifying what your church is doing (which by the way MAY meet YOUR standards but others may look down on ya'll just the same!) and putting down another, because you have past roots/connections to the community.

J4J said:
DOCMUMP: What are YOU doing to help the community that you hold dear to your heart?

The same thing YOU are doing.. We both attend and are active in Churches that help in it's community. That's my point. The Church.

J4J said:
I wonder what they'll say when we open our new doors... :angel2:

I know here in Kansas City, my church is on the verge of remodeling a old Builders Square building and all of the naysayers are coming out of the woodworks. Many are asking why is Memorial moving out of the 'hood' to far southern KC(more suburban area). Hey if God blessed HIS church to expand and bring more people under the teachings of the WORD then why do CHRISTIANS have a problem with it?? Lets get real here. Oh and congrats to Lakewood on your move. Memorial BC, New Vision Ministries is next here in Kansas City!! :wavey:

docmump said:
The same thing YOU are doing.. We both attend and are active in Churches that help in it's community. That's my point. The Church.

My friend/co-worker attends their church and she said they willingly opened their doors. So don't say that they didn't do it out of love. You just want to tear them down. But UNLESS YOU (the complaining person) is doing something about it without help, you might want to be quiet on it.

I didn't know anything about their community until you and Ryan addressed it here. So I was not complaining about them nor was I helping them. I don't live there and I am not from here.

The following quote is taken from www.lakewood.cc

The Recovery series are open to the public and are designed to assist individuals through biblical teaching and instruction. They will help you regain health and vitality in your relationships, finances, vocation, personal well-being, and aspirations.

I am willing to believe that if you showed up with your proposal in hand and requested a meeting with the powers that be in that community to help that community, you'd get something done. But complaining on a message board that maybe 1 or 2 people who DO attend Lakewood might read, you're doing nothing but making noise, just like Ryan.

the band fan said:
they may help.....but for the resorces they have...they ain't helping enough...
Who are you to determine when "enough' has been reached. Pull your green out & start some projects on your own. You don't have to wait for anyone else to get on board.

Docmump: How do you know that God has NOT instructed that their primary focus should be on global ministry? If He has, what business is it of yours. Just like he has those that he allows to speak to the masses; he also has those who have been given an assignment for those "at home" if you will. Again, I planted, Apollos watered but, God gave the increase (thanks Paul!) I wonder HOW you'd feel if someone DICTATED what you HAD to do w/your money.

CriTAUcal said:
Ya'll are killing me at how ya'll would like to bully Lakewood in how they use their money! :lol:

If you're so dis-satisfied with what you see in that community, YOU do something! Don't rely on a church to share YOUR vision or operate within what YOUR mission is. :smh:
Otherwise, you look like a bunch of hypocrites your ownselves by glorifying what your church is doing (which by the way MAY meet YOUR standards but others may look down on ya'll just the same!) and putting down another, because you have past roots/connections to the community.

Crit,
No where in my posts did I say I want to use their money. What I have said is "The Church, Any Church, should do more to help it's local comunity." Once again, Lakewood is a great Church but they do not do anything for the community it resides in.

I do not have a mission or a vision for the northeast community. I only posted my opinion about Lakewood and the community in which it resided in since it was founded.

Once again, I did not gloryfy my Church. I would never do that. In fact I gave Windsor Village more credit then I gave my own Church. Someone asked what did my Church do and I answered. Subject changed.

Dont be so agressive in bashing my because of what I believe in. That is what you are doing by saying I am a hypocrite because Lakewood doesnt do anything for the Northeast community. They do not. That's a hypocrite to say Oh what a great Church Lakewood is for moving into a new building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back