Joel Olsteen

Status
Not open for further replies.
docmump said:
:lol::lol::lol: Funny that you would post that and use the teach a man how to fish saying too, esp. when Jesus fed the Multitude instead of sending them on their way to earn their food.

:lol:

That is true. I didn't "use" anything. I am giving you what I truly believe.

I have taken some Spanish classes and I know just a little bit of Spanish. However my co-worker knows it fluently. If I need to read/write something in Spanish, I can do several things: try it on my own and let her proof it for me, don't try it at all just let her do it, or make the effort to learn it for life.

The quick fix works and is very helpful, but FOR ME it is better that I learn it well or find a tool that can interpret my English into Spanish.

As for Christ feeding the multitudes with TWO FISH AND FIVE LOAVES OF BREAD, that was nothing less than a miracle. The same as Christ telling the lame man to walk! However, the difference there is that the lame man also had to make an effort to walk. He had to be obedient. He made the effort and was obedient. All I am saying is that it is good to feed the hungry, but it is better to show them a skill that will aid them in being able to sustain themselves. All things are possible through Christ...

amazing our ideologies are so different when it comes to church and school...

we praise our HBCUs for 1-on-1 attention, small classroom environments and the power to know everyone from the administration to the custodians...

but when it comes to churches, people think opposite and rather sit in a large setting with very little individual attention and want to bite your head off when you question them on it..

as for Lakewood....Osteen has been called a motivational speaker by some and honestly, that's what he's doing and if it works and paying the bills..so be it

but the real question I want to know is how are they accumulating these large sums of money to buy top real estate in town...by them owning the compaq center, that's a huge chunk of land that's officially off the tax roll and lost revenue the city has to make back up through other means..

by moving its a double edged sword...you just took 10,000 or so folks away from the old site (a black neigborhood) and basically robbed the businesses in the area of revenue during the weekend. It was very ironic you see news stories pop up on all the resturants off 59 now that are open on Sundays now...

someone behind the scenes is pulling strings who has some major clout...and as uaual..black folks lose out...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
the band fan said:
but when it comes to churches, people think opposite and rather sit in a large setting with very little individual attention and want to bite your head off when you question them on it..
It's called personal preference & it may change for an individual from one setting to another. Now, if you are referring to any post in this thread by Fortitude, dear darling, you are sadly mistaken in your assertion that someone would "want to bite your head off when you question them about it." I believe what you REALLY wanted to say was, "How dare some of those posting on this thread NOT have the same frame of mind as I & others do, which is, EVERYONE MUST ATTEND A CHURCH WHERE YOU KNOW EVERYONE & YOU KNOW ALL OF THEM INTIMATELY AND BEYOND COMING TO WORSHIP & HEAR THE WORD, THIS SHOULD BE THE ULTIMATE GOAL OF COMING TO THE CHURCH. Again, I live & let live and believe in letting EVERY man be governed by HIS OWN opinion. It's called respecting people to be whoever they want to be. I do not believe that everyone has to assimilate to the same train of thought on EVERY situation in life. With that said, have a wonderful, blessed day doing things the way you want to do them without any pressure from someone who may feel you need to be doing something different.

I agree Fort! Personally, I don't care if my pastor knows my name. HE AINT DA ONE who can write my name on THE ROLL. I only want someone who can aid me in learning more about God and how to apply Godly principles in my life. To be close to someone, I can be close to my husband and children. I don't need my pastor to know me ever. He never has to lay hands on me to pray. Although, he has. My husband can do that for me.

I met this older man once who said, "You can't do no WORKS in a big church."
I asked him if he was ever a member of a so-called "big church". I told him it was about Faith AND WORKS...I also asked him why he was doing the works. Was it for man or for God. I don't need to be seen or heard in my church. However, if I want to be, the opportunity is there for me.

the band fan said:
but the real question I want to know is how are they accumulating these large sums of money to buy top real estate in town...by them owning the compaq center, that's a huge chunk of land that's officially off the tax roll and lost revenue the city has to make back up through other means..

by moving its a double edged sword...you just took 10,000 or so folks away from the old site (a black neigborhood) and basically robbed the businesses in the area of revenue during the weekend. It was very ironic you see news stories pop up on all the resturants off 59 now that are open on Sundays now...

someone behind the scenes is pulling strings who has some major clout...and as uaual..black folks lose out...

First, I deleted the unimportant stuff from his post. :snicker:
Second, What businesses are in the area around Lakewood? How could they have benifited? The church swoop them people out of that neighborhood so fast.. They dont have time to eat.
Third, I saw that report. "We was closed on Sundays, but now that the Church is here we are going to open and make money." SAD... :( Then John was filmed walking through the resturant smiling like it's a good thing. Please... :xeye:
Fourth, Yes somebody got a good kickback for that move. When the Church is about a couple of months old and the newness wears off, let's us revisit this topic and see what people say.

90 Million dollars and none of it can go towards community development in the Lakewood (Northeast) area?
90 million dollars and he can't build senior citizen homes like the Potter's house did in Dallas?
90 million dollars and he cant build housing for the poor? They purchased the Royal North Apartments on the corner of East Mount Houston and Lakewood Dr.
90 million dollars and he can't have an after school program for the students of the North Forest ISD? You know their test scores are terrible. NITA Send help.
90 million dollars and they can provide some type of medical assistance to those who may need a little more to fund medical procedures?
90 million dollars and all they can do is move to the summit and sell nacho's and hot dogs. and skin and grin in front of the cameras. :redhot:

Luk 4:18 - 19 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

If ever there is a mission statement for the Church, the above is. This is why we are Christians. This is why we go and do what we do. How can you clean your neighbor's house when your bathrooms are just as dirty, when your children are just as hungry, when your storehouse is empty, etc.

Please... :splat: :splat: :splat:

aren't those apartments still abandoned? NFISD is the poorest district in the state and the original inhabitants of the area left long time ago but it meant cheap land for the church and no taxes...which haunts the district to this day....Lakewood is involved in some serious cash behind the scenes....that move was a political and business move. No telling who had their palms greased

again....I can insult someone's momma and get a laugh but when I insult a pastor, their ready to fight..weird. :confused:

as for the the posts by J4J and Fort......explain again why we want one-on-one attention to educate our minds in the classrooms but we rather sit crammed in aisles to learn about GOD?

the band fan said:
as for the the posts by J4J and Fort......explain again why we want one-on-one attention to educate our minds in the classrooms but we rather sit crammed in aisles to learn about GOD?

Isn't that something that you can't just pinpoint on any particular group? It's rather a person's preference. Every individual doesn't want one-on-one attention in the classrooms, just like it doesn't matter to some that they attend mega churches.

Some of ya'll need to do like the Bible says and "set your affections (mindset) on things higher...."

the band fan said:
I don't know why "we" do nothing, I can only speak for Fortitude. That's why there are ALL TYPES of churches for ALL TYPES of appetites/personalities/desires. I don't know about you but, when I attend MY 8 a.m. service (we have 3 services) there's enough room for me & 3 others to lay down on the pew if we wanted to. I fix my eyes & my mind on the pastor as he teaches the word of God and get what I need from that service. I would assume then, comparably speaking, that a child who's trying to learn course objectives necessary for them to be able to PASS TESTS (and said class) and to be promoted to the next grade WOULD require a SMALLER setting where with they could ask questions & RECEIVE help when they get stumped. When's the last time you had to take a test in church? They also have a comparable type setting at MY church too - it's called mid-week BIBLE STUDY (a concept grossly underutilized in some churches.) There you can read scripture, listen, participate, take notes, & ask questions of your pastor and/or study leader.

And beyond that, ALL children DO NOT get along at school. Some don't live in the same neighborhoods and don't invite every one from their class to sleep overs and birthday parties. They definitely are not FORCED to be friends. Think back to your own educational experience from kindergarten through college.

I've been on here for a minute and basically have seen posts where we praise HBCUs for this and that due to the "closeness"....since GOD is a serious matter and a church is supposed to be a pillar of the community (used to be in some areas) why not learn the word in a setting condusive to learning?

we want our kids to do homework in a quiet environment or an area condusive to homework

Fortitude said:
They also have a comparable type setting at MY church too - it's called mid-week BIBLE STUDY (a concept grossly underutilized in some churches.) There you can read scripture, listen, participate, take notes, & ask questions of your pastor and/or study leader.

:idea: Many people don't take advantage of that. Not only Bible Study but Sunday School, as well.

the band fan said:
I've been on here for a minute and basically have seen posts where we praise HBCUs for this and that due to the "closeness"....since GOD is a serious matter and a church is supposed to be a pillar of the community (used to be in some areas) why not learn the word in a setting condusive to learning?

we want our kids to do homework in a quiet environment or an area condusive to homework

School is an academic setting, where the environment is geared towards learning and even building skills that will help develop a child. Church is not just a place to learn more about God, but it's also a place of worship.

Fortitude said:
and beyond that, ALL children DO NOT get along at school. Some don't live in the same neighborhoods and don't invite every one from their class to sleep overs and birthday parties. They definitely are not FORCED to be friends. Think back to your own educational experience from kindergarten through college.

in elementary school, we had a neigborhood school with no other neighborhood involved, you would be surprised the closeness we had and since we all sat in a classroom 8 hours a day we were treated like a family...most of the folks in my class left with a solid foundation in and out the classroom...I can call most to this day right now....

if that concept works in the classroom I think some of these churches need to adopt a smaller setting....

putting 16,000 in the compaq center and watching Osteen may be worth coffee talk in the morning but no telling how many folks are not being reached..

the band fan said:
in elementary school, we had a neigborhood school with no other neighborhood involved, you would be surprised the closeness we had and since we all sat in a classroom 8 hours a day we were treated like a family...most of the folks in my class left with a solid foundation in and out the classroom...I can call most to this day right now....

if that concept works in the classroom I think some of these churches need to adopt a smaller setting....

putting 16,000 in the compaq center and watching Osteen may be worth coffee talk in the morning but no telling how many folks are not being reached..
Well, since you can't go back & call ALL of them - you have failed. Go back & work it out so you can say, "I can call ALL of them..." If you think that's a noble concept that should be applied to churches - TELL YOUR PASTOR to adopt it at YOUR CHURCH or better yet, START YOUR OWN church using this concept.
Large or small, some will receive the word (this past weeks Sunday School Lesson) and grow thereby. Some word will fall along the path & be eaten up by the birds before it can take root. Some seed will fall in stony ground where, again it may find a little soil & start to grow but because it has no root it will die (especially when cares such as sickness & financial problems arise.) And lastly, you have some that are like the seed that's sown on thorny ground who lust so much after worldly things that they can go to church on Sunday morning & be out clubbing, whoring & robbing that evening. Now, I live in Jackson & faithfully watch Joel every week & I love him & the word he shares. This week go out & on purpose be a blessing to someone; not respect of need nor necessity but, because you want to be a blessing to others. <-----That's was Joel's challenge in the message that aired Sunday. I've put that into practice at least 3 times already. :)

So a CHURCH should be held responsible for the inept management of NFISD BY the black folks running it? What about the STATE and the ADMINISTRATION who are misappropriating funds, NOT caring about the students there, etc.

Fortitude said:
I don't know why "we" do nothing, I can only speak for Fortitude. That's why there are ALL TYPES of churches for ALL TYPES of appetites/personalities/desires. I don't know about you but, when I attend MY 8 a.m. service (we have 3 services) there's enough room for me & 3 others to lay down on the pew if we wanted to. I fix my eyes & my mind on the pastor as he teaches the word of God and get what I need from that service. I would assume then, comparably speaking, that a child who's trying to learn course objectives necessary for them to be able to PASS TESTS (and said class) and to be promoted to the next grade WOULD require a SMALLER setting where with they could ask questions & RECEIVE help when they get stumped. When's the last time you had to take a test in church? They also have a comparable type setting at MY church too - it's called mid-week BIBLE STUDY (a concept grossly underutilized in some churches.) There you can read scripture, listen, participate, take notes, & ask questions of your pastor and/or study leader.

And beyond that, ALL children DO NOT get along at school. Some don't live in the same neighborhoods and don't invite every one from their class to sleep overs and birthday parties. They definitely are not FORCED to be friends. Think back to your own educational experience from kindergarten through college.

What she had said! Except Fortitude=J4J

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
jag4life said:
So a CHURCH should be held responsible for the inept management of NFISD BY the black folks running it? What about the STATE and the ADMINISTRATION who are misappropriating funds, NOT caring about the students there, etc.

Thank you. Also, who are these people's city council persons?

docmump said:
:lol::lol::lol: Funny that you would post that and use the teach a man how to fish saying too, esp. when Jesus fed the Multitude instead of sending them on their way to earn their food.

:lol:

Question: :angel2: How many were in the multitude?

the band fan said:

I don't think they will be crammed in an aisle in The New Lakewood Center. There IS room for everybody!

Oh yeah, please see www.lakewood.cc

Lakewood Church and Pastor Osteen are focused like never before on meeting the needs of the Houston community and providing ministries and services that impact every area of life. While the commitment to the local community is strong, Lakewood's international commitment is also increasing. While supplying much needed services and materials to over 100 countries, Lakewood's television ministry increases the visibility of Houston and takes the message of hope and encouragement to millions worldwide. There is a new generation rising at Lakewood Church a generation without limits. Pastor Joel Osteen is a proven leader for this generation - a generation that believes all things are possible!

J4J said:
I don't think they will be crammed in an aisle in The New Lakewood Center. There IS room for everybody!

...and WE ALL have a one-on-one relationship with God...if we want it. :tup:

the band fan said:
aren't those apartments still abandoned? NFISD is the poorest district in the state and the original inhabitants of the area left long time ago but it meant cheap land for the church and no taxes...which haunts the district to this day....Lakewood is involved in some serious cash behind the scenes....that move was a political and business move. No telling who had their palms greased

again....I can insult someone's momma and get a laugh but when I insult a pastor, their ready to fight..weird. :confused:

See my point, huh? Yes those apartments are still abandoned. I thought they would have torn them down. I am going to drive by them on Saturday to see if they are still standing.

Yes NFISD is the poorest in the state but that is no excuse for the mess up they have over there. People stealing money, and teachers not teaching is part of the problems over there. But that Church as well as other Churches in the area needs to step up and do more for the community.

Joel said in his interview. Oh, I dont need the $600,000.00 salary that Lakewood provides, I do not accept it. :goof: :goof:

What!!!! Man, create an after school center on the corner of Homestead and Tidwell then. Or maybe on the corner of Wayside and Little York. I got it. Maybe put it where Northwood used to be. $600,000 can go a long way to those who dont have it.

jag4life said:

No, A Church should be centered about it's community. If the community is in bad shape, then the Church should step up it's efforts and help the community.

Now in this case. The Church can help the Northeast community and itself by creating programs to help the community.

Notice how I said community, not the school district but it's community. I don't see how a Church can help a school district but I do see how they can help the students that attend the schools.

My point is and will always be "Lakewood has dont nothing to help that area/community in which the Church resided in." To me that's ashame.

Why don't ALL the churches in Houston do something about this "deserving" area? Is it the responsibility of only ONE church? Why does one ALWAYS have to do what SOMEONE else wants them to do? Lakewood can do WHATEVER Lakewood wants to do with the $600,000 - that's THEIR business.

Kema
- U already know; shake the haters & keep edifying Him! :tup: One thing I've learned - they'll talk about you if your rich; they'll talk about you if you're poor. They'll talk about you if you give; they'll talk about HOW much you give... See where I'm going? That's why I say, just be the best you can be under His guidance & leadership & worry NOT about the rest. :D

Docmump: Is the church you attend in a stable, nice, clean, upstanding, almost picture perfect neighborhood? What role did your church play in getting it there? So are churches in the business of saving souls or cleaning up communities?

J4J said:
I wonder what they'll say when we open our new doors... :angel2:
Windsor Village? The Church that has after school programs for the children in and outside of the community?
Windsor Village? The Church that pressured HISD to build a new school in it's area to assist the community?
Windsor Village? The Church that has ministries that visit the community?
Windsor Village? Who has a senior citizen's program at the complex at Post Oak and South Main?

You can't compare the two. Windsor Village does for it's community where as Lakewood didn't. That is what Docmump is going to say!

docmump said:
My point is and will always be "Lakewood has dont nothing to help that area/community in which the Church resided in." To me that's ashame.

Is anyone stepping up to the plate to say something to Lakewood? Has anyone approached Lakewood about doing more within this community? Has it been addressed in public in questioning their plans (if any) to help develop the area? Or is everyone just complaining and looking down their nose on Lakewood for their new facility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back