Joel Olsteen

Status
Not open for further replies.

northern tiger

People who are familiar with this pastor, is this article on point regarding his message and ministry?

`Smiling preacher' packs the pews, but message gives his critics pause

By Margaret Ramirez
Tribune religion reporter
Published May 4, 2005

Joel Osteen stands behind the lectern in stylish suits and preaches in a soothing Southern drawl and a big, easy smile. His sermons speak less to Gospel and Scripture than to staying positive and praying for a better life.

Critics have labeled his talks "cotton-candy theology"--sweet and sugary with little nourishment for the soul. Yet his simple, down-to-earth message has transformed the soft-spoken Houston pastor into a spiritual superstar with the fastest-growing church in the country and millions of devoted fans worldwide

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0505040257may04,1,5918663.story?coll=chi-news-hed

northern tiger said:
People who are familiar with this pastor, is this article on point regarding his message and ministry?

I scanned over the article. For the most part, it's true. I tend to run across Osteen on the TV once a week, and I do listen to (and ENJOY) his messages.
His messages do tend to always be positive messages and helps you to be more sensitive to improving your life all the way around. He breaks everything down and relates every message to your "everyday life."

He reflects on scriptures, but he's really not one to stay on stories of the Bible. The impression he always gives me in his messages is that he just moreso wants to help Christians have a better Christian Walk, be better Christians and for us to keep God at the forefront.

I've never heard him talk about "God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit." In his messages he just says that the 'inner voice' is God.

On this past Sunday, he talked about having a "Clear Conscience"/listening to your Conscience.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
His sermons often sound more like motivational speeches than Biblical interpretations.
The article seems on point. Joel is an "encourager." I believe he has wide appeal because, beyond hearing the "word," people need to be encouraged in their daily life & walk w/God.

The article kind of set me off a bit. I don't like it. It is like a put down on Pastor Osteen.

My question to them is SO WHAT? Even if he does have "encouraging message"...if that is the GIFT that God has given to him to help SOMEBODY turn their life around, WHY ARE THEY HAVING ISSUES WITH IT? WHY are they calling it watered down and cotton candy?

I think they are jealous of his wide appeal. But if GOD IS FOR YOU, WHO CAN BE AGAINST YOU?

I love to hear Joel Osteen's weekly message. My Sunday's don't seem complete unless I hear his sermon. I will probably see him in the Georgia Dome (if I am in town) when he comes in September.

J4J said:
My question to them is SO WHAT? Even if he does have "encouraging message"...if that is the GIFT that God has given to him to help SOMEBODY turn their life around, WHY ARE THEY HAVING ISSUES WITH IT?
But if GOD IS FOR YOU, WHO CAN BE AGAINST YOU?
I took out the parts I did not agree with. The rest I do agree with.

Oh, the part I took out was small..

CriTAUcal said:
I've never heard him talk about "God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit." In his messages he just says that the 'inner voice' is God.

On this past Sunday, he talked about having a "Clear Conscience"/listening to your Conscience.

I can see both sides of the issue. I've seen people go to churches and come back with some mystical view of Christianity and not really understand how to put what they have heard on, what one minister used to call it, flesh and bone.

The quote above to me is one example of putting on "flesh and bone" the idea of the Holy Spirit guiding you. You can't trivialize everything but sometimes messages are to far up in the clouds and never hit where the rubber meets the road.

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
I can see both sides of the issue. I've seen people go to churches and come back with some mystical view of Christianity and not really understand how to put what they have heard on, what one minister used to call it, flesh and bone.

The quote above to me is one example of putting on "flesh and bone" the idea of the Holy Spirit guiding you. You can't trivialize everything but sometimes messages are to far up in the clouds and never hit where the rubber meets the road.

That's why each Christian that listens to any work preached needs to also study to show thyself approved. I love Joel Osteen, he just seems to always sooth me before I go to church on Sunday mornings and get me ready to totally accept what God has for me!!

Joel tells us on Sunday sometimes about critics writing him letters, emails, and calling the church saying that he's wrong about a lot of stuff including his style of teaching. They did it to his dad too.

One thing you have to admit though, it's hard not to feel good & extremely encouraged after listening to one of his messages. :) We move into the new place this July.

nevaehinvesting said:
One thing you have to admit though, it's hard not to feel good & extremely encouraged after listening to one of his messages. :)

True! That's why I like listening to him. :tup:

:topic: justa little.....

Is anyone here familiar w/Joyce Rogers? She spoke last night at a conference going on at my church. She's from Houston and truly brought the Word. :tup:

J4J said:
The article kind of set me off a bit. I don't like it. It is like a put down on Pastor Osteen.

My question to them is SO WHAT? Even if he does have "encouraging message"...if that is the GIFT that God has given to him to help SOMEBODY turn their life around, WHY ARE THEY HAVING ISSUES WITH IT? WHY are they calling it watered down and cotton candy?

I think they are jealous of his wide appeal. But if GOD IS FOR YOU, WHO CAN BE AGAINST YOU?

Cosign. Joel Osteen doesnt "Pimp in the pews" for money but instead tells you to find a bible based church you enjoy. Yes, he soothes the soul and opens you to more messages, inner voices and a better walk in THe Word.

I could see if he was downing other folks, but the ones crying about him...smacks of unchristianlike behavior and jealousy. Maybe they need to reevaluate where they are coming from themselves...

nevaehinvesting said:
One thing you have to admit though, it's hard not to feel good & extremely encouraged after listening to one of his messages. :) We move into the new place this July.

This is true ...

I am suprised at this article. They usually go all out to blast black super preachers all the time. I am not a fan of the black super preacher either but they should be treated teh same as white super preachers. I never hear about these white folks iwth these 10 cars and big houses but i hear constantly hear about these black preachers and their assets. The only thing in the black church is how can you ask for all this stuff when you have a majority of folks goin broke trying to plant a seed in you and not in the ministry. Folks can't even pay thier bills trying to get pastor a new car. This is a problem to me. At these white churches it is not the same make-up. The blacks who do go there are very successful whereas at black churches you will have your pro athletes and such but alot of folks are not well off. People still trip me about the seating arrangements at some of these megachurches .....

Folks can't even pay thier bills trying to get pastor a new car. This is a problem to me. People still trip me about the seating arrangements at some of these megachurches .....
What pastors, specifically, and what folks, specifically, are you talking about? I'm curious. :confused:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
nevaehinvesting said:
What pastors, specifically, and what folks, specifically, are you talking about? I'm curious. :confused:

I am speaking in general at alot of these megachurches. Anywhere in this country this is goin on. In the article it said Olsteen wears nice suits and i just saw him on tv and he wears normal looking suits to me. Primary colors with regular ties. They may cost big bucks but you would not know it. Not our preachers oh no!!!!!!! Lime green and all red and these ridiculous looking suits and folks wonder what the problem is. Our preachers do things in excess to me. Take a note from Olsteen and you do not have to be so flashy. What ever happened to the pastor wearing a rob every sunday. Now i turn on my tv and i see "GOLDY" and "PETEY WHEATSTRAW" in a pulpit. Tone it down a bit folks. Now you see pastors on tv talking about their cars and bank accounts and blasting folks for writing bad checks on tv. One thing i can see is that church has become as commercialized as RAP music is now. You will not see that ol church on the side of the road with a real message and not just these " I NEED YO MONEY " churches. I don't have anything against black super preachers i just wish they would tone it down a bit. I never hear Olsteen talk about his finances and you know rod parsley aint tellin his business. Black super preachers have to tell everyoen thier business. I can understand tellin GOD's blessings on your life but at some point just be quiet and serve the people. Hince the word "SERVE". Some of these super preachers don't want to serve anyone but themselves and they want others to serve them. IT IS A TRIP TO ME !!!!!

I wonder how many boards and panels some of these folks who are really in need have to go thru before they can get a nickel from some of these churches or how many scriptures they have to know before they can get some help. How many co-assistant pastors and vice presidents to the assistants of the pastors they have to tell thier business to before they see the pastor they are giving thier money too !!!!!!!

THE BIG BUSINESS OF CHURCH IS MAKING IT ONLY A BUSINESS !!!!!!!!!

:|

Thank God, there's a church on just about EVERY corner, in every city/town throughout the United States; that way people can attend where they fill most comfortable. No one if FORCED to attend nor support ANY particular church.

STC_60 said:
I am speaking in general at alot of these megachurches. Anywhere in this country this is goin on. In the article it said Olsteen wears nice suits and i just saw him on tv and he wears normal looking suits to me. Primary colors with regular ties. They may cost big bucks but you would not know it. Not our preachers oh no!!!!!!! Lime green and all red and these ridiculous looking suits and folks wonder what the problem is. Our preachers do things in excess to me. Take a note from Olsteen and you do not have to be so flashy. What ever happened to the pastor wearing a rob every sunday. Now i turn on my tv and i see "GOLDY" and "PETEY WHEATSTRAW" in a pulpit. Tone it down a bit folks. Now you see pastors on tv talking about their cars and bank accounts and blasting folks for writing bad checks on tv. One thing i can see is that church has become as commercialized as RAP music is now. You will not see that ol church on the side of the road with a real message and not just these " I NEED YO MONEY " churches. I don't have anything against black super preachers i just wish they would tone it down a bit. I never hear Olsteen talk about his finances and you know rod parsley aint tellin his business. Black super preachers have to tell everyoen thier business. I can understand tellin GOD's blessings on your life but at some point just be quiet and serve the people. Hince the word "SERVE". Some of these super preachers don't want to serve anyone but themselves and they want others to serve them. IT IS A TRIP TO ME !!!!!

I wonder how many boards and panels some of these folks who are really in need have to go thru before they can get a nickel from some of these churches or how many scriptures they have to know before they can get some help. How many co-assistant pastors and vice presidents to the assistants of the pastors they have to tell thier business to before they see the pastor they are giving thier money too !!!!!!!

THE BIG BUSINESS OF CHURCH IS MAKING IT ONLY A BUSINESS !!!!!!!!!

Wow. :smh:

STC_60 said:
...I wonder how many boards and panels some of these folks who are really in need have to go thru before they can get a nickel from some of these churches or how many scriptures they have to know before they can get some help. How many co-assistant pastors and vice presidents to the assistants of the pastors they have to tell thier business to before they see the pastor they are giving thier money too !!!!!!!...

I pastor a very small church. I deal with people in need all of the time. We have a process that anyone in our leadership can execute to assist people in need. It doesn't even have to come to me. When you have thousands of people to shepherd, you don't have time to handle the tens or hundreds of cases of need internally - let alone those encountered through the outreach missions and ministries. Outside of budget accountability, I doubt that the senior pastor of these large fellowships encounter any of the specific cases unless the person(s) charged with handling that area of ministry needs some executive oversight in order to respond.

Our congregation is multi-cultural. The staff of folks that provide our covering is also multi-cultural. Not that it matters, there are far more Caucasian, Hispanic, African, & Carribbean leaders with jets, fine cars, vacation homes, ranches/acreage than there are African-Americans church leaders with the same. Often the assets of these ministry leaders are articulated to encourage others to employ the same principles that the leaders have through righteous living, strengthen themselves and inspiring others. In most of those other cultures, the prosperity of the leaders is simply deemed to be NORMAL.

Nevae, I had the pleasure of attending the 8:30am service Sunday and to met Joel afterwards. The service, Joel, Victoria and everything else was just as I expected. The Spirit reigned and Joel is definitely annointed.

I was only disappointed when they dimmed the lights in the bookstore while I was shopping. :confused: I asked the lady that was working there what was going on. She said they shut down during the next service and reopen afterwards. I said what, I drove all the way from out of state to come here.....I attended the earlier service...but I understand. :bawling: I had spent plenty already. I did get the sermon I pressed there for on CD entitled "The Importance of Quiet Time". I saw it on TV a few weeks ago. I watch him often and enjoy his sermons. However, this one was amazingly a divine Word and wake up call meant for me. I am taking heed. :tup: :jump:

JSTUS,

I'm glad you got to come out. :wavey: Joel is a lot shorter in person than he what he looks like on tv, huh. I've bought probably 30+ of those cd sermons so PM next time you're in town and I'll hook you up. :tup:

He is shorter and looks older in person. That grin is genuine. :D Victoria is taller. Joel definitely favors his mother. :tup:

The NEW Lakewood Center opened for their first Sunday Service last week. I saw the taping of it on TBN! They really have revamped the Compaq Center. They've done well with it, and I believe God is pleased with their work!

Thumbs up for Pastor Olsteen!

J4J said:
The NEW Lakewood Center opened for their first Sunday Service last week. I saw the taping of it on TBN! They really have revamped the Compaq Center. They've done well with it, and I believe God is pleased with their work!

Thumbs up for Pastor Olsteen!

I will try not to make a comment. I will TRY...

:smh::smh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back