Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South (2019-2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bethune Sleepy had the nerve to flex that 1 season send off netflix show smh..... boom was sending all game long and bcu tubas was lowkey slaw than I am used too. Boom sound balanced this year trumpfunk starting to be heard a lil better too. Nobody touching jsu tubas this year nobody....

Im ready to see yall at the boombox against the white horses..their brass tubas finally sound like they are broken in. They were sending watts across the field in the clips I saw of them in Houston this past Sunday

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Im ready to see yall at the boombox against the white horses..their brass tubas finally sound like they are broken in. They were sending watts across the field in the clips I saw of them in Houston this past Sunday

Southern is coming out swinging .... but I’ll say they’re showing their hand a lil too early... that berry white arrangement is the truth , but where do you go from there ? It’s tough. the fat guy Todd is their weakest arranger... and the booms true sound isn’t there quite yet. Trump funk gone get more powerful as the season goes ... and Johnson got some bangers still in the boom... glad the book is staying away from a heavy rap book this year so far he is and candy rain on the first game ... sheesh

Last edited:
Southern is coming out swinging .... but I’ll say they’re showing their hand a lil too early... that berry white arrangement is the truth , but where do you go from there ? It’s tough. the fat guy Todd is their weakest arranger... and the booms true sound isn’t there quite yet. Trump funk gone get more powerful as the season goes ... and Johnson got some bangers still in the boom... glad the book is staying away from a heavy rap book this year so far he is and candy rain on the first game ... sheesh

this may the most balanced ive heard the Boom in a while. if they continue to get better, a lot of folks are in trouble

That Candy Rain was the shii lol. I was like man the Boom is really balanced. Seems like everyone is focused on just cranking except the Boom.

Nice overall show from the boom. I saw a few trombones a little confused, but they corrected it with a quick recovery. I kinda wish crankfest would just be SU vs JSU if any. Not interested in anyone else.

I don’t think that was their hand, you have to send a message at a BOTB! I love that Barry White joint!

It was the first time the MEAC/SWAC Challenge was played in front of a sold-out crowd with 23,333 fans in attendance. And it was the first time the bands were featured on a black college pregame show surrounded by hundreds of curious, tailgating fans shortly before making their entrance into the stadium.

It was also the first time the Jackson State University Tigers and the Bethune-Cookman University Wildcats had shared a field during a matchup in 30 years, which means the battle in the stands would be just as intense as the one on the field. The Sonic Boom of the South and the Marching Wildcats have both seen No. 1 spots in the ESPN/The Undefeated HBCU Band Rankings, so leaders and band members knew this would be the perfect way to kick off the season.

“I’ve seen Jackson State over the last 30 years, and I’ve been impressed with them every time I’ve seen them,” said Donovan Wells, director of bands at Bethune-Cookman. “They have a unique style that’s different from ours, and it should be. We have a style that’s different from theirs, and it should be. But it’s both entertaining. I was pleased with both bands today, and I think the crowd was too. You got your money’s worth today. Football and band, everybody got their money’s worth.”

Dowell Taylor, an assistant professor of music at Jackson State, echoed those sentiments about Bethune-Cookman’s band program earlier in the week, sharing mutual respect for the program that Wells is leading at B-C.

“We have a lot of respect for Bethune-Cookman’s program,” Taylor said. “They’ve been consistently producing a fine program. They’re one of the best marching aggregates around the country, and we’re really excited just to share our different styles to the nation. We have nothing but respect for Bethune-Cookman.”

And for the bands to remain two of the best, the work for the pregame show, entertainment during the game and halftime, all the way to the bands duking it out during the 5th Quarter, started weeks before the big game.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I thinking the Boom isn't going to make the trip to Alabama A&M since they didn't come to Jackson last year, PV did. The Boom has only two road trips where they have to foot the expenses, Miss. Valley and PV. I can be corrected, I'm not looking into a crystal ball.

At the Aug. 20 city council meeting, the council recognized Dowell Taylor with a resolution for being a world-renowned musician and for his leadership.

Taylor graduated from Callaway High School and earned both a bachelor's degree in music education and a master's degree in music education at Jackson State University. He then studied wind conducting in the Doctor of Musical Arts program at the University of Cincinnati.

Taylor was a member of Jackson State's "Sonic Boom of the South" marching band in the tuba section, and he arranged more than 100 selections, including JSU's theme, "Get Ready," which John Paul Jones originally arranged. Former director Harold Haughton Sr. also honored him with the W. W. Davis All Around Bandsmen award.

Question: What is the Boom's schedule on the day of the SHC? Do they arrive from Jackson the morning of the game, march in the Parade, perform during the game and board the bus back to Jackson all in the same day or do they get overnight accommodations?

Question: What is the Boom's schedule on the day of the SHC? Do they arrive from Jackson the morning of the game, march in the Parade, perform during the game and board the bus back to Jackson all in the same day or do they get overnight accommodations?

they usually get to town on Thursday or Friday before the game and stay. They Leave Saturday night after the game headed back to Jackson to rest Sunday.

Jackson State, which showed out at the MEAC/SWAC Challenge in Atlanta to open the season Sept. 1, is the top overall and top SWAC band, followed by North Carolina A&T at No. 2 overall. NC A&T is also the No. 1 MEAC band. The top band in the CIAA is Winston-Salem State, and the No. 1 SIAC band is Miles College.

1568407780528.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back