It's official: Southern University's Band IS IN A Financial Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayRob

TigaPaw
'2015 Year have barely any scholarship money for incoming students!'
http://www.bandhead.org/forum/topics/it-s-official-southern-university-band-is-broke-2015-year-have

"Southern's band is broke again, it wasn't good news when the Boom pulled out:
We are facing a band student scholarship deficit! It's more serious than you think! If you love the Southern University "Human Jukebox" Marching Band, Please give, any amount, anytime, and as often as you can".

Is this for real or just rumors? Hmmm.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
But JSU isn't mad????? Still making threads about us. lol

anigif_enhanced-buzz-5587-1379085073-22.gif

Hey JR, what's the su "street committee" saying about this bruh? You can be depended on to at least tell half the truth, unlike some of the others who don't wanna touch this with a ten foot poll.

Hey JR, what's the su "street committee" saying about this bruh? You can be depended on to at least tell half the truth, unlike some of the others who don't wanna touch this with a ten foot poll.

It's like this. The band is becoming less dependent on the school. Times are changing. Some schools have Presidents who will spend on the band and some don't. In SU's case we are already having alums donate in record numbers to the SCHOOL itself. So we are relying on less money coming in from the state due to Jindal cuts. So of course it affects the band program. Doc was a master of getting silent partners to donate to the Juke during his time. Once he retired a lot of that went away as folks who dealt with him were older as well and died off etc.. Haymer is just getting out there and rallying the alums and sponsors to donate as we know we ain't going to get money from the administration as they have to balance academic needs as well. See your President don't have to deal with a Jindal cutting state school funds. Even LSU has to send ATHLETIC monies over to support the LSU administration due to Jindal cuts. That was unprecedented. I know Ohio State athletics don't need to give Ohio State administration a dime for anything outside of athletics. So all this slamming SU the school for having to almost act like a PRIVATE institution now due to the State having an idiot as Gov is kind of laughable to me. If MS gets a fool for a Gov. Bryant is a fool but not Jindal like. Then the Queen would experience what the LA schools are experiencing. Yeah we need some stuff. Nothing wrong with that. I like the fact we got a band director that will utilize the Alumni base to go out to raise money. That's what is wrong with our HBCUS that are public anyway. We brag when our states ain't cutting budgets and such. But when it comes to US donating like we should. We don't. Jindal was a wake up call to SU and Gram folks. Even to the smaller PWCs in the state. LSU folks got money so they will donate. They just pissed they have to donate even more because of Jindal.

In the long run, this will be a good thing. Because SU as a whole is learning how to be non dependent on the State or Gov for their money to fund stuff. So when the next Governor shows up and kills Jindal cuts, it will be a super surplus for us as we will have been spending our own money. So I tell folks.Laugh all you want to at what SU band is doing to raise money. But when all the new stuff arrives and comes in from all that hard work by band staff, alums, sponsors and just fans of the program. It will be all worth it. Those kids represent the school well. The band program has been doing great things Nationally the last several years and got things on the horizon. I wouldn't trade the Juke for any other HBCU band. No matter where I travel to and I have a SU band ball cap on, folks know how good we are. Some bands got new everything and still not that good. It is not the instruments or new uniforms that make the "S" what is today and the vast history we have. It is the people who have come through there and continue to come through there that make the Jukebox a National treasure. But to preserve our treasure, it is time to write checks. Doc taught us that years ago. You have to do for self. So I caution folks laughing and saying SU is begging. If your band program is not running strictly off of donated funds but from school allocated funds. Then you are at risk of having to do the same thing whenever that time arrives. Like Doc couldn't stay the band director forever with all his political connections. These pro band Presidents such as yours will not be there forever either. Closed mouths don't get fed. So it is what it is. My plan is to write a check to the Jukebox every month and working on a matching gift from my company to be earmarked for the program. Anyway, we will see JSU on the 19th of September since the BOTB thing got messy for whatever reason. I have no clue what happened there. But I am sure the Juke will have a crowd pleasing show for that night. Bring it on the field. Sick of all this stand and BOTB crap. Let's get it on old school. Best Field show is where it is at.

Thanks for that diatribe JR. At least you attempted to explain.

With all that said, I do succinctly recall su folks more than any other, laughing at JSU's equipment and uniforms. They still do that to some extent, but since the roosters have come home to roost, they've cut that out.
I'm still gone look for that taped trumpet and glued up horn. Hopefully someone can give me a tour of su's band room. Perhaps I'll donate a few dollars if Haymer acts right.:snicker:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Thanks for that diatribe JR. At least you attempted to explain.

With all that said, I do succinctly recall su folks more than any other, laughing at JSU's equipment and uniforms. They still do that to some extent, but since the roosters have come home to roost, they've cut that out.
I'm still gone look for that taped trumpet and glued up horn. Hopefully someone can give me a tour of su's band room. Perhaps I'll donate a few dollars if Haymer acts right.:snicker:

You can tell JR doesn't fit in with those Louisianians, he doesn't even have their mentality, he's a Mississippi country boy at heart.

Last edited:
No wonder they didn't want to pay us. They broke. They need every penny in sight.
I'll see what I can do to help though. Yall better start up a go fund me or something. I got 45 cent I'll slang yall way.

You can tell JR doesn't fit in with those Louisianians, he doesn't even have their mentality, he's a Mississippi country boy at heart.

I'm more Cajun then JR, my Grandfather was from New Orleans, relatives still live there and I'm light-skinned.

Honestly, you all can't blame ALL this on Jindal. It's yall fault. Yall was broke before Jindal ever took office. Yall need to learn to know how to manage yall own money. Don't yall teach business and economic classes at that school? Then why not let some of the teachers that teach those classes manage yall money, unless they're crooks too.

Come to think of it, they probably are. They were probably the ones selling those degrees for cash.

Some thing is wrong with these Sippi folks. I've never seen folks who go from board to board looking for negative things on every school. Just country and sad!
Hey Cee, you're out of your league bruh. This is the band board, a place where NO person from AAMU should be until you step up your game and remove them flag girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back