Is Jukebox on the Verge of Greatness?

[="Earle, post: 2620656, member: 145"]Yes, when they performed at the University of Georgia in 2015, I wondered why it took so long to go into formation of the scores as opposed to the Isaac Greggs' years. Last year against BAMA State they did it again. I assumed that Haymer just don't know how to do it like Greggs, and I am hopeful that someone who does know would share with him.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your honesty. It's about time someone from su honestly tell it like it is.

Yall don't come because yall have been scared too over the years. Even had Comegy scared and saying dumb stuff the first year he came down. You aint moved by SU band. LOL. I know plenty of Jacksonians who are. And in the 80s we used to take that crowd. Roll 83, 85, 87 and 89 halftime tape and listen to the crowd. It wasn't until Pete got to SU and started whooping that ass regularly in Jackson did the JSU crowd get anti SU band. Too many HC losses starting in 89 even before Pete. JSU fans got used to winning that game and loving the Jukebox performance. When it became a double L for them. The tide turned and folks got anti SU in Jacktown. Before then it was Grambling because Coach Rob would kick the shit out JSU football every year until he started getting old. Once JSU started winning consistently against Gram, the hate shifted to SU. Now yall hate both schools. LOL.
A few things you got factually wrong. First, I only recall JSU losing ONE homecoming game before Pete, and that by a point before Pete.
Second, Coach Robinson was outmatched by JSU''s Gordon in the '80's.
Third, JSU fans don't hate Grambling. Don't even know why you put their name or Robinson's name in the mix.
Come on JR, you know better.

Last edited:

Yes, when they performed at the University of Georgia in 2015, I wondered why it took so long to go into formation of the scores as opposed to the Isaac Greggs' years. Last year against BAMA State they did it again. I assumed that Haymer just don't know how to do it like Greggs, and I am hopeful that someone who does know would share with him.

LOL. He knows how to do it. He marched in the Jukebox. It is easier to move 128 people into the score faster than 192 people. One of the reasons Doc hated big ass bands.

Same reason FAMU always had to rattler (their fast cadence) to their formations. They were too big on the field. Look at their old film and see how they methodically got into formation for a lot of their nice animated shows they did. Even my other alma mater The Ohio State Band keeps their numbers down to a certain level to do what they do. As Doc would always say. You don't need many to do plenty.

These bands want to be 225-300 to blow the roof off places these days.

[="Earle, post: 2620656, member: 145"]Yes, when they performed at the University of Georgia in 2015, I wondered why it took so long to go into formation of the scores as opposed to the Isaac Greggs' years. Last year against BAMA State they did it again. I assumed that Haymer just don't know how to do it like Greggs, and I am hopeful that someone who does know would share with him.
Thanks for your honesty. It's about time someone from su honestly tell it like it is.[/QUOTE]

Out of respect to my fellow Jag. He doesn't know that. LOL. Haymer got Doc's drill book. Aint nothing changed. Except them being bigger than Doc would have had the Jukebox. He has more squads to utilize to make the scores now. The fundamental is the same as Doc taught. If you look at us in 84 when we were 128 and when we got to 160 in 1985. We had to uptempo some of the drills faster than we had to in 84.

Now I will say this about all bands including SU. None of these damn kids are in the shape they should be. Administrations will not allow them to practice the hell out of these kids like it was for us. Doc could do whatever he wanted with us. Even his last 10 years you could see the difference in the marching. Stuff only us Jukes understand. The small nuances. My Boom old head frats see the same with them. They don't even recognize the style of march anymore. But tempo of these halftime shows have lacked the 80s energy for decades. Even the 90s you saw a difference. Just like the new music these days. It aint grooving and funky like the old days. No soul. But that's another subject.

LOL. He knows how to do it. He marched in the Jukebox. It is easier to move 128 people into the score faster than 192 people. One of the reasons Doc hated big ass bands.

Same reason FAMU always had to rattler (their fast cadence) to their formations. They were too big on the field. Look at their old film and see how they methodically got into formation for a lot of their nice animated shows they did. Even my other alma mater The Ohio State Band keeps their numbers down to a certain level to do what they do. As Doc would always say. You don't need many to do plenty.

These bands want to be 225-300 to blow the roof off places these days.

Thank you, JR! I fully accept your explanation. It makes a lot of sense! The larger the band, the more difficult it is to maneuver. I am not a musician and have never marched in a marching band. I will yield fully to those of you who know more about this subject than I.

Out of respect to my fellow Jag. He doesn't know that. LOL. Haymer got Doc's drill book. Aint nothing changed. Except them being bigger than Doc would have had the Jukebox. He has more squads to utilize to make the scores now. The fundamental is the same as Doc taught. If you look at us in 84 when we were 128 and when we got to 160 in 1985. We had to uptempo some of the drills faster than we had to in 84.

Now I will say this about all bands including SU. None of these damn kids are in the shape they should be. Administrations will not allow them to practice the hell out of these kids like it was for us. Doc could do whatever he wanted with us. Even his last 10 years you could see the difference in the marching. Stuff only us Jukes understand. The small nuances. My Boom old head frats see the same with them. They don't even recognize the style of march anymore. But tempo of these halftime shows have lacked the 80s energy for decades. Even the 90s you saw a difference. Just like the new music these days. It aint grooving and funky like the old days. No soul. But that's another subject.
Haymer may have Doc's playbook, but he ain't using it. As far as bands not having the energy and soul they used to have, I can agree with that. It had a lot to do with the personalities and egos of the band directors as well as well as the type of music during that era, nevertheless since this is an su thread, I'll keep it that way.
Haymer's far from being a Doc Greggs.

Last edited:
Thank you, JR! I fully accept your explanation. It makes a lot of sense! The larger the band, the more difficult it is to maneuver. I am not a musician and have never marched in a marching band. I will yield fully to those of you who know more about this subject than I.
Perhaps some of your honesty will rub off on some of the other su folks.

Juke, trying to speak facts to him is like trying to explain how Obama was great for America to an Alt-Right looney.

Yes, when they performed at the University of Georgia in 2015, I wondered why it took so long to go into formation of the scores as opposed to the Isaac Greggs' years. Last year against BAMA State they did it again. I assumed that Haymer just don't know how to do it like Greggs, and I am hopeful that someone who does know would share with him.
You went from marching 128 to marching 192 on the field, that takes longer to make the scores. More people on the field=a longer transition to the formation for the scores.

Y'all can't forget that Haymer marched under Greggs for 4 years, then was assistant to Jackson for 8 years who also marched under Greggs and worked with him for 2 decades.

It's just like how the staging for the circles is different now. They don't pack it down into the tight circle like we did, they formed the circles by arcing in from the company fronts.

Haymer may have Doc's playbook, but he ain't using it. As far as bands not having the energy and soul they used to have, I can agree with that. It had a lot to do with the personalities and egos of the band directors as well as well as the type of music during that era, nevertheless since this is an su thread, I'll keep it that way.
Haymer's far from being a Doc Greggs.
He's not trying to be a Doctor Greggs. Just like how Mr.Jackson didn't try to be Doc either. Adjustments have to be made to fit the current size of the band, plus the new staff wants to throw in some wrinkles to catch folks off-guard from time to time, hence some of the new formations or formations that haven't been used in a while. That flower drill and simultaneous step-1 and step-2 was a thing of beauty for a person that knows about drills.

Bottom line, the band is in great hands.

Haymer, Simmons, and Taylor are all great arrangers and know how to get the most out of the band's talent through their arrangements. Haymer and Taylor had very successful high school programs that excelled both on the field, in the stands, and in the concert hall. Haymer spent nearly a decade under the tutelage of Mr. Jackson learning the ropes of leading a premier program. The fact that he has been able to navigate the political channels of an HBCU campus, increase the revenue stream and marketability of the band, and making SU's band a destination from students of different racial and cultural backgrounds speaks volumes about the work he and the staff have been doing. There's even a band in Switzerland playing one of our arrangements(They don't know anything about having a Black President. lol).

Earle, I think you just wanted to be pacified by JR. JayRob had already addressed your concerns concerning the Jokebox's sloppiness in drilling the score at halftime in Response #7 (posted below). JR is just loquacious, he would make a great used car salesman. :)

JR, the Jukes are NOTHING like yall were under Doc. They are a shell of what they used to be.

Last edited:
You went from marching 128 to marching 192 on the field, that takes longer to make the scores. More people on the field=a longer transition to the formation for the scores.

Y'all can't forget that Haymer marched under Greggs for 4 years, then was assistant to Jackson for 8 years who also marched under Greggs and worked with him for 2 decades.

It's just like how the staging for the circles is different now. They don't pack it down into the tight circle like we did, they formed the circles by arcing in from the company fronts.

Y'all were getting blown away and getting embarrassed by the Boom, your only option was to increase the size of the Jokebox. Competition is good, but remember and know your place, #2. Haymer ain't no Greggs! Greggs was a "stickler to detail", Haymer is more concerned with cosmetics and publicity. :(

LOL!!!

Man we go through this mess every year with these JSU cats about their band.

Couldn't tell me the last time they put up a good battle against SU

Man Alcorn is on yall heels, yall worried about the wrong band.

Like stated, Jukebox only battle previous versions, nobody in the band world is seeing SU

Stop living off yall old times and do something, haven't done anything worth talking about since
2010 smh. Lol

You don't even hear ppl talk about yall past versions

Man that 2013 JSU edition dominated LOL or mane that 2014 JSU edition was something to see.

Yall haven't had a good band since, I know going on 10 years now. Get it together guys

To be fair haymer has shown to be a great business man and arranger over the years for the juke. His hires of Simmons and Taylor are paying off because in my opinion, they will be ready if called to take over in the next 4-5 years. My problem with the juke has been their slowly declining halftime shows compared to the attention to making great stand songs. Facts juke fans, the juke has yet to be better than Ohio state in halftimes since haymer took over. Don't believe check the rankings they've been #2 as of the credible band rankings and not these watered down polls y'all go too. When I say declining I mean they're direction in halftimes isn't as focused on the field as they are with battle of the bands, stands, 5th quarter , and parades. Haymer and comp do just enough drill writing to keep Southern folks happy... he doesn't exceed expectations. He might pull out a throwback drill or write a new fundamental drill to keep y'all happy but he hasn't made the impact on the field yet as a band fan not a jsu fan or juke hater. In my opinion the battle of the bands are really taking away from southern and the rest of these hbcus who participate in them to go above and beyond during halftime just as they're enthusiastic about them stands. Just my objective opinion. Haymer is up there but I'd put gregs, knight, Jackson before haymer when it comes to the all time greats and his impacts. Y'all going to see eventually what I'm saying about these halftimes... eventually. But I'm glad to see new instruments, uniforms , and numbers for the juke. Well deserved and haymer is to be applauded for his business side.

To be fair haymer has shown to be a great business man and arranger over the years for the juke. His hires of Simmons and Taylor are paying off because in my opinion, they will be ready if called to take over in the next 4-5 years. My problem with the juke has been their slowly declining halftime shows compared to the attention to making great stand songs. Facts juke fans, the juke has yet to be better than Ohio state in halftimes since haymer took over. Don't believe check the rankings they've been #2 as of the credible band rankings and not these watered down polls y'all go too. When I say declining I mean they're direction in halftimes isn't as focused on the field as they are with battle of the bands, stands, 5th quarter , and parades. Haymer and comp do just enough drill writing to keep Southern folks happy... he doesn't exceed expectations. He might pull out a throwback drill or write a new fundamental drill to keep y'all happy but he hasn't made the impact on the field yet as a band fan not a jsu fan or juke hater. In my opinion the battle of the bands are really taking away from southern and the rest of these hbcus who participate in them to go above and beyond during halftime just as they're enthusiastic about them stands. Just my objective opinion. Haymer is up there but I'd put gregs, knight, Jackson before haymer when it comes to the all time greats and his impacts. Y'all going to see eventually what I'm saying about these halftimes... eventually. But I'm glad to see new instruments, uniforms , and numbers for the juke. Well deserved and haymer is to be applauded for his business side.

Good post Luv the Boom16!
I don't think any Juke alum or SU alum would put Haymer above Doc Greggs even if the band was doing new drills weekly. We put no one above him. He has a long way to go to be on Doc's level. We didn't put Lawrence Jackson, Carnell Knighten, Roy Johnson, Eric Baskin, Paul Adams, or Terral Jackson Sr above Doc either. With LJ being the only one who has been the head director. Doc was one of a kind. I don't think any band should compare the new directors to any of the legendary ones. The Hutch's of Gram, the Foster's of FAMU, the Doc's, the Davis, Haughton or Taylor's of JSU. Ben Butler of TxSU and Graves of Tenn State and the list goes on. Those guys were from a different era and time.

Now what I do see from all bands is no effort to put on a dazzling halftime performance. Or they use too many gimmicks. But even before Doc retired, he wasn't changing up shows like he did in the old days. Now he told us old heads, it was because of the practice times you can have. Administrations don't allow the kids to be out there all night like it was for us old school HBCU bands were band directors kept us until they felt like letting us go. LOL. So hence the emphasis on the stands that I see all bands doing. Marching bands are not marching bands like they were. Crowds only stand up when they see or hear the familiar Do what you wanna for SU, JSU Rocks the House or whatever the other schools do. Halftime has become not as important it seems. I have been saying that on here for years. Now like you said, Haymer has a great staff of arrangers. Can't argue that one. His staff is smoking. It reminds me of the staff we had when I marched. Only difference is we had Chester White who drilled the crap out of the crabs to get them acclimated to SU style early on.

Haymer is considered by most of us Jukes old and new school to be one of the best arrangers ever to come through SU. I would list him under Roy Johnson, Paul Adams, Carnell Knighten and Eric Baskin. He may have surpassed Baskin right now. Simmons is going to be in the list soon. Just more time. Dude is ahead of the game being so young. The thing that helps the Jukebox is that it has been the most consistent band across the board because it didn't alter its style as much as everyone else did. I miss the old Ocean, the old FAMU's, the old Tenn State's, etc. Everyone had their own thing. Hell I miss the old Valley sound from the 80s. Them cats could blow and strictly stayed with their corp style shows.

I wholeheartedly agree! Most bands are better than Southern now!

And you are in the vast minority. You in that 30% Trump supporter category. No matter what, SU aint great to you. LOL. Good thing the masses don't think that. So I think the Jukebox can survive and keep their following without Bernard being on the bandwagon.

Y'all were getting blown away and getting embarrassed by the Boom, your only option was to increase the size of the Jokebox. Competition is good, but remember and know your place, #2. Haymer ain't no Greggs! Greggs was a "stickler to detail", Haymer is more concerned with cosmetics and publicity. :(
Dude, in 2004 and 2005 (the years preceding the SU size increase), JSU got absolutely embarrassed both in New Orleans and in Mumford. Most of the size increase has been in the woodwind and percussion sections, with a few more additions to the brass sections.

Now what's your thoughts on that Brown Splenda, I mean Brown Sugar that JSU attempted to play. lol

Back