Is Jukebox on the Verge of Greatness?

Earle

I listened intently to the "State of the Jukebox" report on last evening and I was really impressed by all that is going on within that organization. While the band has already achieved greatness as a marching entity, it appears that a lot more are in the works that could enshrine it as a truly great American institution. Recent accomplishments include, for the upcoming school year, the purchase of brand new musical instruments for all 220 members as well as new uniforms. The band was recently put on display at the new Smithsonian African American Museum in Washington, D.C. It also has been recognized for its active participation on more social media networks than any other collegiate band. Its 2017 summer high school band camp exceeded 500 participants for the first time in its history. It has set in place a revenue stream that will generate more than 1 million dollars. In partnership with Da Edge, Inc,.it is about to soar to new heights with new technology strategies that will expose and elevate the SU brand. A big thumbs up to the nation's finest collegiate marching band! Geaux Jags!

Last edited:
They're doing what a program is suppose to do new horns and uniforms are a added touch and very well needed those uniforms upclose are not in good shape. But we can't wait to see the Jukebox and others this season 2016 was hard to point out a terrible band.

I agree! They will be like they were last year and the year before, and that was/is average!

Tony the Tiger once said "Frosted Flakes were GREAT", he’s was a Tiger that talked and Tigers say “Grrr” not GREAT! I guess you say "Tony the Tiger didn't know what the buck he was talking about?

I agree! They will be like they were last year and the year before, and that was/is average!

Tony the Tiger once said "Frosted Flakes were GREAT", he’s was a Tiger that talked and Tigers say “Grrr” not GREAT! I guess you say "Tony the Tiger didn't know what the buck he was talking about?

Tony didn't say they WERE great! He said they ARE great! There is a difference, you know! But the Human Jukebox is Great and "GRRR!" They are hands down the most appreciated and the most "in demand" marching band in America.

Tony didn't say they WERE great! He said they ARE great! There is a difference, you know! But the Human Jukebox is Great and "GRRR!" They are hands down the most appreciated and the most "in demand" marching band in America.

Personal opinion. There are just too many Great HBCU marching bands out there today to even consider the Jukebox the best. The Jukebox mystique died with Greggs. Keep tooting your horns, maybe someone will hear y'all. Oh, what ever happened to "Sugar Bear" and Super Sugar Crisp?

JR, the Jukes are NOTHING like yall were under Doc. They are a shell of what they used to be.

They are not a shell of what we used to be. I will agree they aint 70's, 80s or 90s Jukes. But they are still better than everyone else and still are the band that gets the most attention nationally. The only band in the SWAC that can say they are better than their old school is probably PV. That statement you made is applicable to all bands including yours in spades. They are not even on the same playing field as the SIVAD, Haughton or 84-90 Taylor led Booms. As a matter of fact if you look at film, you can see they lost their style. LOL. At least SU has tried to stay close to being SU as possible.

Personal opinion. There are just too many Great HBCU marching bands out there today to even consider the Jukebox the best. The Jukebox mystique died with Greggs. Keep tooting your horns, maybe someone will hear y'all. Oh, what ever happened to "Sugar Bear" and Super Sugar Crisp?

There are a whole lot of publications, band directors, current and ex band members of various bands, fans , and people in general across the U.S. that will disagree with you on that one. LOL.

The Jukebox press may be at a all time high these days. Folks still copying the things Doc put in motion. Cymbal players, the mostly brass in band, the drills etc. Folks still set their standards to be better than SU. They are so popular now, that they have over 500 kids to show up for that HS camps. Mofos are pratically Hollywood like now. Haymer has to turn kids away from that camp and from the Jukebox. The only thing changed after Doc was the connections and his power to do whatever he wanted. That will never happen again at any HBCU. Those old head band directors controlled everything. Administrations will never allow that to happen now.

There are a whole lot of publications, band directors, current and ex band members of various bands, fans , and people in general across the U.S. that will disagree with you on that one. LOL.

The Jukebox press may be at a all time high these days. Folks still copying the things Doc put in motion. Cymbal players, the mostly brass in band, the drills etc. Folks still set their standards to be better than SU. They are so popular now, that they have over 500 kids to show up for that HS camps. Mofos are pratically Hollywood like now. Haymer has to turn kids away from that camp and from the Jukebox. The only thing changed after Doc was the connections and his power to do whatever he wanted. That will never happen again at any HBCU. Those old head band directors controlled everything. Administrations will never allow that to happen now.

You're explaining stuff to these folks who already know the deal. LMAO!

You need to get out more often and watch the other Great HBCU marching bands perform live. You're stuck in neutral, the past. :)

They are not a shell of what we used to be. I will agree they aint 70's, 80s or 90s Jukes. But they are still better than everyone else and still are the band that gets the most attention nationally. The only band in the SWAC that can say they are better than their old school is probably PV. That statement you made is applicable to all bands including yours in spades. They are not even on the same playing field as the SIVAD, Haughton or 84-90 Taylor led Booms. As a matter of fact if you look at film, you can see they lost their style. LOL. At least SU has tried to stay close to being SU as possible.
JR, quit diverting. This thread is about southern's so-called "greatness" or lack thereof. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth.
First you say the current Jukes aren't like the last forty years under Greggs, but then you say they aren't a shell of themselves. Which is it? You can't have both.

You need to get out more often and watch the other Great HBCU marching bands perform live. You're stuck in neutral, the past. :)
When it comes to the Jukes, JR is near-sighted. He can't see the forest for the powder blue tree in front of him.

JR, quit diverting. This thread is about southern's so-called "greatness" or lack thereof. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth.
First you say the current Jukes aren't like the last forty years under Greggs, but then you say they aren't a shell of themselves. Which is it? You can't have both.

Dude you can't comprehend. Not being the same as the old days does not mean they are a shell of themselves. A shell means they aint at the top of the band world anymore. If anything the competition is a SHELL Of themselves. We had way more comp during the 80s than the Jukebox does now. Right now it's them and everyone else is copying the formula or have copied the formula that Doc started. Nobody has their own identity anymore.

Again, you are in the minority. You need ask yourself why you always have something to say about the Jukebox? Because you know they are the best and they have been and continue to be great. Continue to set standards that others follow.

lol...JR

they've taken advantage of social media and made it work for them. Have not dared to reinvent the wheel. Your right about Doc with total control....one little phone call would move mountains as that does not happen anymore.

PV in the 80s and 90s put on consistent, legit field shows. Their overall performance was solid from top to bottom cause their style was not what the SWAC was. Now I see more SWAC incorporated into them.

I have seen a lot of HBCU bands and PWC bands live. Competition is at it's weakest point. Bands don't even like to put on great FIELD shows anymore. Just battle in the stands. Blowing. So get out of here with that great marching bands mess. Most can't keep a straight line marching 8 to 5. LOL.

lol...JR

they've taken advantage of social media and made it work for them. Have not dared to reinvent the wheel. Your right about Doc with total control....one little phone call would move mountains as that does not happen anymore.

PV in the 80s and 90s put on consistent, legit field shows. Their overall performance was solid from top to bottom cause their style was not what the SWAC was. Now I see more SWAC incorporated into them.

At least PV has kept improving in my opinion. They at least try to be a marching band and not just a stand band.

Yeah your SU crab brothers and other SU folks who now influence the band have done wonders with social media and such.

I have seen a lot of HBCU bands and PWC bands live. Competition is at it's weakest point. Bands don't even like to put on great FIELD shows anymore. Just battle in the stands. Blowing. So get out of here with that great marching bands mess. Most can't keep a straight line marching 8 to 5. LOL.

He must wear Google Glasses at the game and watching 80s clips at halftime...lol...field shows are a lost art.

Dude you can't comprehend. Not being the same as the old days does not mean they are a shell of themselves. A shell means they aint at the top of the band world anymore. If anything the competition is a SHELL Of themselves. We had way more comp during the 80s than the Jukebox does now. Right now it's them and everyone else is copying the formula or have copied the formula that Doc started. Nobody has their own identity anymore.

Again, you are in the minority. You need ask yourself why you always have something to say about the Jukebox? Because you know they are the best and they have been and continue to be great. Continue to set standards that others follow.
If I thought they were the best, I would've said so. Like I said, forest for the tree that's powder blue.
Haymer has mistaken style for substance. There's no real improvement with his bands over the last couple of years.
He's just learned how to manipulate social media. That doesn't make the band better, it just allows more people to view them.

Last edited:
Back