Is Jukebox on the Verge of Greatness?

If I thought they were the best, I would've said so. Like I said, forest for the tree that's powder blue.

We know you don't think so. I am sure you think your school's band is the best of all time. Every news outlet could say SU Band is the greatest and Jayrob would say nope. Every HBCU band director could say that to your face and you would still say nope. So we got it.

Again, we aint trying to convince JayRob or Bernard. The Jukebox got a Nation of followers and admirers. Hell even I don't even need to be on the bandwagon as an alum. I am more critical of them than any non alum could ever be because we only compete with past versions of the Jukebox, not with other bands. Their body of work and what they are doing right now is not even rivaled by any HBCU bands. Just think they did all this without Doc's powerful influence and connections.

Uhhh, JR, since you're agreeing, that includes the Jukes. The field shows are a lost art.

Yeah it is. But the Jukebox is still doing them better than everyone else though. That's my point. The rest have sacrificed their field shows strictly to blow in the stands. Some so lazy they don't even attempt to hide that fact.

We know you don't think so. I am sure you think your school's band is the best of all time. Every news outlet could say SU Band is the greatest and Jayrob would say nope. Every HBCU band director could say that to your face and you would still say nope. So we got it.

Again, we aint trying to convince JayRob or Bernard. The Jukebox got a Nation of followers and admirers. Hell even I don't even need to be on the bandwagon as an alum. I am more critical of them than any non alum could ever be because we only compete with past versions of the Jukebox, not with other bands. Their body of work and what they are doing right now is not even rivaled by any HBCU bands. Just think they did all this without Doc's powerful influence and connections.
They did all of what? And you are not more critical of the Jukes more than any non-alum. I've never heard you criticize them.

They did all of what? And you are not more critical of the Jukes more than any non-alum. I've never heard you criticize them.

You don't suppose to hear me criticize them. We don't have anybody to critique them against outside of other Juke versions and you would not know exactly what the criticism would be. We got our own large private forum for us Jukes to chop it up and do that. But the bottom line is this. We all agree they still the big dog and most hunted HBCU band program. Our critiques are our critiques and only for them. Hell our alumni band is better than half the SWAC. LOL.

It also shows you don't pay attention to even say they have done all of what. LOL. Keep watching though. It may hit you soon enough.

You don't suppose to hear me criticize them. We don't have anybody to critique them against outside of other Juke versions and you would not know exactly what the criticism would be. We got our own large private forum for us Jukes to chop it up and do that. But the bottom line is this. We all agree they still the big dog and most hunted HBCU band program. Our critiques are our critiques and only for them. Hell our alumni band is better than half the SWAC. LOL.

It also shows you don't pay attention to even say they have done all of what. LOL. Keep watching though. It may hit you soon enough.
So, your alumni band is better than half the SWAC? That's a huge claim, especially when they're older, fatter, slower and out of shape. The SWAC's not that far gone.
And as far as the Jukes being the big dog, that's your opinion, not mixed with all facts.

How many HBCU marching bands do we know that could raise a million dollars from individual and corporate giving in just over one year as well as pay for brand new musical instruments and uniforms for more than 220 musicians. Not many, if any other! Dr. Nathan Haymer and his media gurus may not be as talented as some of Dr. Greggs' units of old, but they are very good at high tech media exposure of the SU brand, and at generating revenue. Haymer made a 20 minute appearance at an alumni rally in Monroe 3 weeks ago and walked away with a check for $8,000 for band uniforms. He made similar appearances in Dallas and Los Angeles. Corporate giving to the SU band is at an all-time high. The point to be made here is that contributions of this magnitude reflect the widespread appreciation the national public has for this marching band as an "institution." You guys can naysay all you want, but America is speaking with its money and not just its mouths. A couple of years ago, the University of Georgia included in their contract with the SU Athletic Dept a clause that the SU band must also appear and a fee to cover same. After SU appeared at Louisiana Tech in 2015, their alumni indicated their willingness to pay to have the SU band make an annual appearance in Ruston. Last year when SU played here in Monroe, ULM's t,v commercials highlighted the fact that the "world renowned" SU marching band would be appearing. If other HBCU bands don't hurry up and catch up, SU will be so far ahead that SU may reach preeminence.

Last edited:

You know he's watching. He can't help himself LOL!!

1) As a music educator, I love the special touches that the younger staff have put on the SU sound. Those arrangements really put SU on a different level as they can beat you with ballads, power, and technique.

2) The band is still focusing heavily on drills and executing the halftime show. I also love the emphasis on the concert programs as well. Haymer has a vision and he is doing what he can to accomplish it.

3) The social media presence is strong because we have quality performances both on the field and in the stands. Everyone wouldn't flock to SU's band and band camp including directors from all over the country that have 0 affiliation with Southern if we weren't putting out consistent, quality performances.

4) The only people that are saying that SU isn't performing well are either haters, ignorant musicians, or blind with envy. Saying that SU is a great program doesn't mean that other great programs don't exist. lol

How many HBCU marching bands do we know that could raise a million dollars from individual and corporate giving in just over one year as well as pay for brand new musical instruments and uniforms for more than 220 musicians. Not many, if any other! Dr. Nathan Haymer and his media gurus may not be as talented as some of Dr. Greggs' units of old, but they are very good at high tech media exposure of the SU brand, and at generating revenue. Haymer made a 20 minute appearance at an alumni rally in Monroe 3 weeks ago and walked away with a check for $8,000 for band uniforms. He made similar appearances in Dallas and Los Angeles. Corporate giving to the SU band is at an all-time high. The point to be made here is that contributions of this magnitude reflect the widespread appreciation the national public has for this marching band as an "institution." You guys can naysay all you want, but America is speaking with its money and not just its mouths. A couple of years ago, the University of Georgia included in their contract with the SU Athletic Dept a clause that the SU band must also appear and a fee to cover same. After SU appeared at Louisiana Tech in 2015, their alumni indicated their willingness to pay to have the SU band make an annual appearance in Ruston. Last year when SU played here in Monroe, ULM's t,v commercials highlighted the fact that the "world renowned" SU marching band would be appearing. If other HBCU bands don't hurry up and catch up, SU will be so far ahead that SU may reach preeminence.
You don't owe them an explanation, the mere mention of SU and Band drives those 2 up a wall.

Reactions: JR
You don't owe them an explanation, the mere mention of SU and Band drives those 2 up a wall.
But yall keep giving one over and over. It's as if yall are desperately trying to convince yourselves that the Jukes are who yall claim they are.

Lmao @ the JayRob guy.

Same story each year, Jackson want some attention from the big dogs

Only ppl that think Jackson is better than SU are jackson ppl

Yall better be on the look out for Alcorn Lol. They aint to far behind yall, their halftime shows are already up to par with yall,

Lmao @ the JayRob guy.

Yall better be on the look out for Alcorn Lol. They aint to far behind yall, their halftime shows are already up to par with yall,
Come on bighead, you know better than that. su folks FLOCK in droves to see THE BOOM perform. Not many JSU folks care to travel to Scotlandville to see the Jukes. I mean, su folks LOVE them some Jacktown don't they?

Dude you can't comprehend. Not being the same as the old days does not mean they are a shell of themselves. A shell means they aint at the top of the band world anymore. If anything the competition is a SHELL Of themselves. We had way more comp during the 80s than the Jukebox does now. Right now it's them and everyone else is copying the formula or have copied the formula that Doc started. Nobody has their own identity anymore.

Again, you are in the minority. You need ask yourself why you always have something to say about the Jukebox? Because you know they are the best and they have been and continue to be great. Continue to set standards that others follow.

Once again, you are dead wrong. In the 80s, the best bands were JSU, TXSU, FAMU and Southern. TXSU dropped off that list in the mid to late 80s. Right now, it's Alcorn, PV, TXSU, UAPB, Tenn. State, NC A&T, BCU, AAMU, Alabama State and Southern. Honorable Mention to Miles and Talladega. You can't sleep on any of those bands, but it seems like now, everyone are crabs in a bucket and that includes Southern. Everyone has copied what Greggs did and perfected it and made it their own. If Southern had Knighten caliber arrangers, they would be great!

Has anyone noticed when Southern does the halftime score at halftime now, they are slower than molasses? During the Greggs era it was done with the quickness and perfection! No one is copying Southern now, there is no reason to.

If I thought they were the best, I would've said so. Like I said, forest for the tree that's powder blue.
Haymer has mistaken style for substance. There's no real improvement with his bands over the last couple of years.
He's just learned how to manipulate social media. That doesn't make the band better, it just allows more people to view them.

True! Their new viewers is the "white man", to black folks watching one of their recycled Homecoming halftime shows, it's "The same old been there and seen that."

Last edited:
Come on bighead, you know better than that. su folks FLOCK in droves to see THE BOOM perform. Not many JSU folks care to travel to Scotlandville to see the Jukes. I mean, su folks LOVE them some Jacktown don't they?

I think it's because we love seeing us hang and leave an L in Memorial to the football team and band, mostly the football team, the band L is pretty much by default.

When was the last time yall won in Memorial again? 2010 off a Hail Mary. Oh ok

I mean, I think that may be a reason why SU folks like traveling to Jacktown

They also like traveling to Houston and Alcorn and I can bet it's not to see their bands.

su folks were traveling to Jackson since the early '80's....long before Odoms became coach. It's just something about Jackson that forces southern folks to come year after year, but JSU folks don't care about driving to Scotlandville in large numbers. And we're not moved by southern's band either.

Once again, you are dead wrong. In the 80s, the best bands were JSU, TXSU, FAMU and Southern. TXSU dropped off that list in the mid to late 80s. Right now, it's Alcorn, PV, TXSU, UAPB, Tenn. State, NC A&T, BCU, AAMU, Alabama State and Southern. Honorable Mention to Miles and Talladega. You can't sleep on any of those bands, but it seems like now, everyone are crabs in a bucket and that includes Southern. Everyone has copied what Greggs did and perfected it and made it their own. If Southern had Knighten caliber arrangers, they would be great!

Has anyone noticed when Southern does the halftime score at halftime now, they are slower than molasses? During the Greggs era it was done with the quickness and perfection! No one is copying Southern now, there is no reason to.

Number 1. You are completely lost and have no clue. I marched in that era and you don't know what you are talking about. Period. So just go be quiet and sit down somewhere. You just throwing stuff out there. LOL.There way more good bands in the 80s than now. WAYYYY more.

When was the last time you seen SU do the halftime score? You do realize SU band is way bigger now and takes longer to move more people into formation. We were only 128 for most of my time at SU. 160 in 85. 192 for one game in 86, before Doc decided that was too big and zipped it back down. Tempos are slower with all bands these days. None march with any speed anymore. Everybody want to have 300 mofos now and just blow in the stands. Aint nothing been copied and perfected. Some bands haven't tried a new drill in a decade or more.

You really have no idea what you are looking at. Leave the band critiques alone. Because you are not good at it. At all. You do realize Jukes are on staff or the head director at some of the schools you named. LOL.

The other thing is SU has the best arrangers. No one has that trio of Haymer, Taylor, and Simmons. Not even close. That's the big difference right there. Simmons is better than every SWAC arranger outside of the cats he is on staff with.

Knighten and Jackson just carried the arranging tradition. The 80s Jukes had the greatest arranger to roll through the SWAC in Roy Johnson.

Lmao @ the JayRob guy.

Alcorn is on the move. Got some Jukes in that program.

su folks were traveling to Jackson since the early '80's....long before Odoms became coach. It's just something about Jackson that forces southern folks to come year after year, but JSU folks don't care about driving to Scotlandville in large numbers. And we're not moved by southern's band either.

Yall don't come because yall have been scared too over the years. Even had Comegy scared and saying dumb stuff the first year he came down. You aint moved by SU band. LOL. I know plenty of Jacksonians who are. And in the 80s we used to take that crowd. Roll 83, 85, 87 and 89 halftime tape and listen to the crowd. It wasn't until Pete got to SU and started whooping that ass regularly in Jackson did the JSU crowd get anti SU band. Too many HC losses starting in 89 even before Pete. JSU fans got used to winning that game and loving the Jukebox performance. When it became a double L for them. The tide turned and folks got anti SU in Jacktown. Before then it was Grambling because Coach Rob would kick the shit out JSU football every year until he started getting old. Once JSU started winning consistently against Gram, the hate shifted to SU. Now yall hate both schools. LOL.

True! Their new viewers is the "white man", to black folks watching one of their recycled Homecoming halftime shows, it's "The same old been there and seen that."

So tell me all know it all. What HBCU band is doing NEW AND INNOVATIVE field shows these days? What band constantly moves the crowd at halftime? I will wait.

They mainly walk into the halftime score at halftime now, too many men/women on the field now to drill aggressively into the score like they did when Isaac Greggs was the Band Director. smh

Yes, when they performed at the University of Georgia in 2015, I wondered why it took so long to go into formation of the scores as opposed to the Isaac Greggs' years. Last year against BAMA State they did it again. I assumed that Haymer just don't know how to do it like Greggs, and I am hopeful that someone who does know would share with him.

Back