I joined the HDTV Club last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playa you know that I am not hating on the BC.

I am just ticked because I thought that I would have seen the game in HD. It was hard watching the Bayou Classic, when the Florida FSU game came on in HD.

I was looking at the screen going...oohh look at the pretty colors.

pv_symbiotic said:
Playa you know that I am not hating on the BC.

I am just ticked because I thought that I would have seen the game in HD. It was hard watching the Bayou Classic, when the Florida FSU game came on in HD.

I was looking at the screen going...oohh look at the pretty colors.

I know you aren't hating on the game. My point is, NBC does a poor job with Football in HD that you would have been disappointed if you were looking for the beautiful picture you get when CBS or ESPN does college football.

I knew going into the game that it was not going to be HD.

Check the HDSportsguide.com It lists all sporting events in HD.

I wouldn't know. I don't have ESPNHD and it will be sometime before I get it.

I really was looking for to seeing my first BCF game in HD.

I'm back from looking

The JVC ILA techonology looks good. So does the Sony XBR. So does DLP. So does LCD. Any opinions?????

btw, I spent a lot of time in Best Buy and hhgregg today (going to BrandsMart and Circuit City tomorrow, although I think I need to do more online research before going, cause all this stuff starts running together and everything looks good in the store. :lol::lol:
I ended up getting so overwhelmed that before I knew it, I had bought a new washer and dryer in Best Buy. :smh: :lol::lol:

mighty hornet said:
I'm back from looking

The JVC ILA techonology looks good. So does the Sony XBR. So does DLP. So does LCD. Any opinions?????

btw, I spent a lot of time in Best Buy and hhgregg today (going to BrandsMart and Circuit City tomorrow, although I think I need to do more online research before going, cause all this stuff starts running together and everything looks good in the store. :lol::lol:
I ended up getting so overwhelmed that before I knew it, I had bought a new washer and dryer in Best Buy. :smh: :lol::lol:

Laugh while you can.

My advice, whatever you buy. be happy with it and don't waste your time saying what you should have purchase.

In my opinion crossing over into HD is like studying a new major. There are tons of information that you will learn about HD. If you think that you will purchase a great TV and then just flip channels, you are in for a huge shock.

ABE said:
ESPNHD has to be the best quality broadcast I have seen for sports.

ESPNHD is good for football (pro and college), but I have to give the nod to TNTHD for NBA and CBS for College Basketball.

For me. I would have to say that CBS Sportsis hte best HD channel that I have seen: College and Pro football is the best PQ that I have seen.

New Research Proves HDTV Still 'Fuzzy' for Consumers
Scientific-Atlanta and cable companies help consumers 'get connected' and 'get clear' on HDTV
(December 06, 2005)

High-definition televisions (HDTVs) are available everywhere, and people are buying them. HDTVs are selling rapidly in retail chains, online warehouses and/or local consumer electronics outlets, showing that consumers want HD programming. According to recent Forrester Research data, HDTV sets will be in approximately 16 million homes across the U.S. by the end of the year. But, Forrester predicts just seven million of those households will actually be watching HD programming from their video service provider in that timeframe, suggesting that many consumers are buying HDTVs but then not taking the additional steps required to receive HDTV services.

To better gauge consumer appeal for and understanding of HDTV services, Scientific-Atlanta commissioned a nationwide telephone survey of over 500 U.S. high-definition television owners. The survey was based on an analysis of consumer awareness about HDTV and the equipment needed to watch it. The analysis identified misperceptions of HDTV owners that could help explain why demand levels for HD services have remained significantly lower than HD television adoption rates. Results show that nearly half (49%) of HDTV owners surveyed are not taking full advantage of their HD televisions, as defined by receiving HD channels and having special equipment to watch HD programming (including an HD set-top box, a CableCARD, and/or an antenna).

The 'Truth'
Although there are exceptions, (such as off-air viewing or "in the clear" programming), in most circumstances, if you are a cable or satellite customer, you need an HD set-top box or a CableCARD to view HD programming. The box or CableCARD acts as a decoder for encrypted HD channels. Those HD television owners polled who believed they were receiving HD service but lacked the proper equipment had varying reasons for not getting the equipment:

Full Story

All of my HD viewing is off the air, long story.

I am thinking about getting and HDTV for my parents and all of their viewing will be off the air. I am not happy with the HD options availible via cable and satellite. The USA offers about 15 HD channels and this blows in my opinion.

I was just reading that NBA.tv and 2 NCAA PPV packages are about to go HD.

The list of cable networks broadcasting in HD is growing. Not as fast as I'd like it grow, but it is growing.

OTA
ABC
CBS
Fox
NBC
PBS
UPN
WB

Cable
Cinemax HD
Comcast SportsNet
Discovery HD Theater
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
Food Network HD
Fox HD
HGTV HD
HBO HDTV
HDNet
HDNet Movies
INHD/INHD2
The Movie Channel HD
MSG Network
National Geographic Channel HD
NBA HD
NFL HD
OLN HD
Showtime HDTV
Starz HD
TNT-HD
Universal HD
Voom HD package

Channel Descriptions can be found here

It will be a long time before all Cable/Satellite Networks will be all HD. It will probably be another 5 years before half of the networks out there are HD.

HGTV and Food Network to be HDTV in 2006
By Shane Sturgeon on December 08, 2005

From Broadcasting & Cable:

Scripps Networks launches two HD channels in 2006, an HD version of HGTV in the first quarter followed by an HD version of The Food Network in the second quarter. At this point, the company is putting the final touches on each project.

"The biggest challenge is making sure we have produced enough content so the service will provide enough fresh programming," says Burton Jablin, president of HGTV and EVP of Scripps Networks. "And we've gotten over that hurdle."

It wasn't easy. Scripps Networks spent two years producing content for its Fine Living channel and HGTV in HD in preparation for the move, knowing that the content would sit on the shelves for a while. It's a challenge that faces every network: planning for tomorrow's services today.

"Everything we did that was new was produced in HD," says Jablin. "We accumulated a few hundred hours of HD content and when Food TV kicked in we had several hundred hours more completed."

So why go HD? Jablin says it's about giving viewers the best experience possible. "If there's enough distribution and critical mass I think advertising will follow," he says.

Source:
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/2005/12/hgtv_and_food_n.php

HBO HDTV
Shows: Carnivale; The Sopranos; Six Feet Under; Deadwood; 80 percent of movies
Sports and specials: Angels in America; World Championship Boxing

Resolution:
1080i
Schedule

HBO Movies Resolution is 1080I, I dont believe it.. I really I dont..

To show you how slow I am on such matters,I just found out that even though my television is a HD 50 inch DLP Samsung Projection television,now I must purchase the HD DirecTV box because my present box isn't HD.The Direct TV box is what determines the quality of the picture.They will reimburse the purchase price once you send in proof that you made the purchase.Now I've got to get on making this purchase today so that everything can be installed for the bowl games.

I am thinking of giving my HDTV to my parents because I notice that my HD program watching hours have decreased.

They are both retired and they would watch the HDTV more than I.

That would be a great move, but I believe that you are trying to get a new HDTV out of this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back