I joined the HDTV Club last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pv_symbiotic

Ghetto Bourgeois
I decided that it was time for my TV viewing experience to come up. I purchased the Toshiba 32-inch widescreen HDTV, not monitor. It is a shock for my eyes and brain to process the new viewing area that the screen covers. It will take a while to adjust to this additional viewing area. It was great watching NIP/TUCK last night on the larger screen. I went with a flat panel LCD. The amazing thing is that the hdtv weighs no more that 50 lbs. I had been researching different hdtv?s for the past 7 months and I felt it was time to make the purchase.

Mind you it helped that Bestbuy sold the tv under the following promotion: No interest for 3 YEARS.

pv_symbiotic said:
I decided that it was time for my TV viewing experience to come up. I purchased the Toshiba 32-inch widescreen HDTV, not monitor. It is a shock for my eyes and brain to process the new viewing area that the screen covers. It will take a while to adjust to this additional viewing area. It was great watching NIP/TUCK last night on the larger screen. I went with a flat panel LCD. The amazing thing is that the hdtv weighs no more that 50 lbs. I had been researching different hdtv?s for the past 7 months and I felt it was time to make the purchase.

Mind you it helped that Bestbuy sold the tv under the following promotion: No interest for 3 YEARS.

Man, forget watching Nip/tuck on that screen. Turn over to Discovery HD or tune in to Fox's NFL coverage. Hell even PBS will have you glued to their shows.

About 4 weeks ago I bought a 46' Samsung DLP. The thing weighs 60lbs. It has a built-in HD tuner, but I went ahead and upgraded the cable box to a HD box. Shows that are broadcast in HD is 100 times better. In fact, I like to watch shows that are broadcast in HD using a regular TV antenna. It is clearer than the HD cable box.

I understand there is a DVD HD player. My DVD movies still have that black line on top & bottom of the movie. I guess with the HD DVD player, it will fit the entire screen.

I will not get the HD experience until this weekend, because I need the hd box from my subscription provider.

I am still adjusting to the larger viewing area. It looks like I have a movie theater in my crib.

The sales person was trying to get me to buy a HD DVD. I told him to hold off and let me make sure that I am happy with the hd experience.

So, can someone pls explain the plasma thing? I mean, is plasma considered HDTV or are they two different contraptions? Can you get HDTV with a plasma screen? What's the deally?

Plasma is not considered HDTV, however you can get a Plasma TV w/ or w/o the HDTV tuner, sticker shock for the bigger models would be like buying a used vehicle but hey do your thang.....

udratherbme said:
Plasma is not considered HDTV, however you can get a Plasma TV w/ or w/o the HDTV tuner, sticker shock for the bigger models would be like buying a used vehicle but hey do your thang.....

4 real, that is why I went the DLP route.

Thanks for the tip. I will invest in an antenna so that I can have something to tide me over until the provider can get me a hdtv box.

I will say that I was not ready for the ambient colors that are coming from my screen. I was almost blinded last night when I was overwhelmed by the Bosie State game. The Smurf turf was killing my eyes.

Go over to www.avsforum.com to check on configurations of your TV. Most people get these HiDef TVs and dont configure them.

Go over to Amizon and get this CD.
AVIA
630551982X.01-AHF4SYKP09WBH._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

This CD will configure your home theater system. Yes, I got this from white people who take HiDef to another level.

Oh, DVD's by definion is HiDef. There is no reason why one would go out and get a HiDef DVD player. There is no such a thing.

Da_Sperm said:
I like to watch shows that are broadcast in HD using a regular TV antenna. It is clearer than the HD cable box.

Thanks man...this was the most useful post that I ever read on this board. I finished reading the manual on how to use the antenna. I too have a built in tuner in my tv. I am watching fox in HD. The clarity is incredible.

pv_symbiotic said:
Thanks man...this was the most useful post that I ever read on this board. I finished reading the manual on how to use the antenna. I too have a built in tuner in my tv. I am watching fox in HD. The clarity is incredible.

Actually,
My post is the most useful. Even though you are using your TV out of the box, the picture will be unbelievable after you configure your TV to your viewing preferences with AVIA.

Trust Docmump, Get AVIA, tune your new HiDef Television, post back here, and tell us what you think.

pv_symbiotic said:

More stuff the white folx told me about HiDef Television.

Did you know that there are Satelite receivers that will intergrate your antenna signal with your satelite signal? It will also create a TV Guide schedule using your local antenna and your satelite reciever together. No more switching from Satelite to local antenna. It will be seamless.

This also equate to free local HiDef stations with no extra cost.

docmump said:
Go over to www.avsforum.com to check on configurations of your TV. Most people get these HiDef TVs and dont configure them.

Go over to Amizon and get this CD.
AVIA
630551982X.01-AHF4SYKP09WBH._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

This CD will configure your home theater system. Yes, I got this from white people who take HiDef to another level.

Oh, DVD's by definion is HiDef. There is no reason why one would go out and get a HiDef DVD player. There is no such a thing.

Can I buy this at a store like Best Buy?

docmump said:

DVD's by definition are Digital, not HiDef. A progressive scan DVD player matched with a HiDef TV will give you a nice picture, but not a High Def picture.

docmump said:
More stuff the white folx told me about HiDef Television.

Did you know that there are Satelite receivers that will intergrate your antenna signal with your satelite signal? It will also create a TV Guide schedule using your local antenna and your satelite reciever together. No more switching from Satelite to local antenna. It will be seamless.

This also equate to free local HiDef stations with no extra cost.

I read the same thing in my user manual. My TV came with TV Guide built into it. I has to set the zip, let if off for about 3 hours and in the morning, I had a list of all the channels that I did not delete.

Tonight I will try to use my satelite as an over the air antenna.

I sure made a wise decision when I purchased a TV with the HD decoder with it.

I have ordered a copy of AVIA. I look at it this way, since I made a long term investment on my HDTV, this isn't the time to be cutting back by not buying something that will help me get the most out of my investment.

Blacknbengal said:
Can I buy this at a store like Best Buy?

No sir. I have not ever seen it in the stores. Only online. If you have a HDTV, this is a must get.

Oh, it is boring but when he gets to configuring your television. You will be amazed at how much your TV was out of focus.

cat daddy said:
DVD's by definition are Digital, not HiDef. A progressive scan DVD player matched with a HiDef TV will give you a nice picture, but not a High Def picture.

I know. I saw a report on Intel and Microsoft is investing money in HDVD players for the PC. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Investment oportunities is a knocking people...

I am not surprised about how out of focus my HDTV is. I complained about that fact everynight. I had tweaked it great one night over the weekend. But I did something had to reset to the defaults and now everything is jacked up.

I will continue to tweak until my copy of AVIS arrives.

pv_symbiotic said:
I read the same thing in my user manual. My TV came with TV Guide built into it. I has to set the zip, let if off for about 3 hours and in the morning, I had a list of all the channels that I did not delete.

Tonight I will try to use my satelite as an over the air antenna.

I sure made a wise decision when I purchased a TV with the HD decoder with it.

I have ordered a copy of AVIA. I look at it this way, since I made a long term investment on my HDTV, this isn't the time to be cutting back by not buying something that will help me get the most out of my investment.

I too have a built-in TV Guide functionality. It pisses me off because the channels are not in numerical order. I don't know what order it is in. It appears that they are grouped by affiliation (HBOs, FOXs, ABCs, etc). I want to try the cable card, but I'm told it doesn't allow you to see the HBO channels.

Last of all, does CBS broadcast in HD? My cable provider doesn't have a CBS HD channel.

CBS does broadcast in HD. I recieve HD CBS over the air, I was watching CSI: Miami in HD last night.

I am ticked because I can not received ABC in HD (No Monay Night Football for Me in HiDef. I live in Lewisville and the signal isn't reaching me.

Here is what I have discovered:

All are over-the-air

FOX - 720p *my favorite because it is the clearest*
CBS -1080i
NBC - 1080i

I cant remember but UPN or WB is 780 and the other is 1080i.

I am still waiting on someone to explain to me why isn't The SciFi channel in HD. I thought that they would have been the first. I have email the company asking them for an explaination. I know that I would love to watch Battle Star Galactic in HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back