I joined the HDTV Club last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
pv_symbiotic said:
I am still waiting on someone to explain to me why isn't The SciFi channel in HD. I thought that they would have been the first. I have email the company asking them for an explaination. I know that I would love to watch Battle Star Galactic in HD.

That's the million dollar question..

Only a handful of standard definition cable networks actually broadcast in HD.

Discovery HD
ESPN HD, ESPN 2 HD
TNT HD
HBO HD
Showtime HD
Cinemax HD
Starz HD

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Man, you and me both need a better antenna.

I told you that I can't get ABC, that means no Monday night for ball for me. I will do some more research and hopefully I read about an antenna that will do the job. I originally thought that it was distance that was my issue until I had a conversation a someone yesterday. They live in Carrollton and told me that that can get all channels just fine.

pv_symbiotic said:
Man, you and me both need a better antenna.

I told you that I can't get ABC, that means no Monday night for ball for me. I will do some more research and hopefully I read about an antenna that will do the job. I originally thought that it was distance that was my issue until I had a conversation a someone yesterday. They live in Carrollton and told me that that can get all channels just fine.

Do you guys have an external antenna to help with your reception of HD over the air channels?

I do not have an external antenna. I have an indoor antenna. I purchased my antenna from rat shack. I would like to avoid an external antenna if I could. But if I have to then I would mount an arial.

I do have an question for you all. Which broadcast do you all think looks better, 720p or 1080i? I think that 720p has more detail.

What kind of antenna do you have?

Also, I have looked at this page and the information helped me after I understood the results that I have received.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

pv_symbiotic said:
I do not have an external antenna. I have an indoor antenna. I purchased my antenna from rat shack. I would like to avoid an external antenna if I could. But if I have to then I would mount an arial.

I do have an question for you all. Which broadcast do you all think looks better, 720p or 1080i? I think that 720p has more detail.

What kind of antenna do you have?

Also, I have looked at this page and the information helped me after I understood the results that I have received.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

I have Cable, so no antenna for me but I did here that you should get an outside antenna for better reception.

Now, Progressive vs interlace. Tune that television and then get back to us...

Actually, It all depends on what you have your television to recieve. If the signal is progressive and your TV is set to interlace then your picture will be interlace. And vice versa. Some have done research in regards to who have a better converter. I.E. You DVD may convert to progressive but if it's a cheap progressive DVD, your Television may handle the conversion better. Even down to the cable box/Sat. reciever, the television may do a better job of converting to progressive or interlace.

I tuned all of mine to 1081 interlace. The picture quality looked better after I done that. I had it set to Auto for the TV and Progressive for the Cable box but learned that if the signal is interlace and your box is progressive then the box may not do a good job of converting the signal. So, I settled and went the interlace all the way through.

I do not believe Cable offer anything progressive. :(

I do not believe Cable offer anything progressive.

Cable is not an option for me, so I have to go the Terrestrial (antenna) or Satellite. Since you say that 1080i looks great, I look forward to my AVIA DVD. I had thought that I had done a great job tuning that tv until I messed something up so bad that I had to hit the tuning reset button.

As far as my receiver, I do not believe that I have an option to alternate between progressive or interlace signal decoding. My decoder gives me whatever the source is. My tele appears to convert progressive better than interlace. It is interesting looking at the HiDef picture all the actors appear to have BAD skin.

Why did you mention the DVD player? I am looking at buying a low priced progressive dvd with the 3:2 pulldown technology. I know that I can get a 420i picture but I am hoping to get 720i from the dvd.

I also have cable, but to get good over the air reception, you will need an external HD Antenna. My HDTV is tuned for 1080i. That's my preference.

Have any of you all purchase a dvd player with the hdmi interface. I am not looking at one of these dvd players.

I am not trying to come short on my dvd player. I am thinking about purchasing this dvd player until the hdmi dvd recorders reach some kind of standard.

pv_symbiotic said:
Have any of you all purchase a dvd player with the hdmi interface. I am not looking at one of these dvd players.

I am not trying to come short on my dvd player. I am thinking about purchasing this dvd player until the hdmi dvd recorders reach some kind of standard.

I'm waiting on the HD-DVD vs. Blue Ray war to be settled before I invest in a new DVD Player.

pv_symbiotic said:

:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling: My Denon 3805 doesn't output hdmi nor DVI. :bawling::bawling::bawling: I was thinking about bypassing the video str8 to the television and running the sound thru the reciever... What do yall think?

Your suggestion about running the video to the tv is cool for now. But you already know that you will be purchasing a new dvd player when the standard is set.

I will have to use self control and wait on the new HD DVD's.

I have plan on waiting for either Direct TV or DISH to get more HD programming. Should be testing a new antenna by Tuesday. Hopefully will I be picking WFAA in digital.

Hey guys...this weekend was my first weekend watching football (college and NFL) in HD. I sat there looking at the screen, thinking to myself '...sweet...'

That picture was incredible.

I know look forward to watching the MLB Tuesday night and I am not a big baseball fan but HD will make me tune into the game.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
pv_symbiotic said:
Hey guys...this weekend was my first weekend watching football (college and NFL) in HD. I sat there looking at the screen, thinking to myself '...sweet...'

That picture was incredible.

I know look forward to watching the MLB Tuesday night and I am not a big baseball fan but HD will make me tune into the game.

Wait until you calibrate your Television... Do you have surround sound?

Also, The AVIA CD is very borring but do not skip any sections. If you do not have Surround Sound then skip that section of course. If you do, then look at that as well. The CD is full of Test patterns as well as test color strips for your calibration.

After you get finish calibrating your Television, look for a Baseball game in HiDef... It will change you mind about the game of baseball. :nod:

The AVIA cd arrived on Friday but I have not used it because I do not have a DVD player. I am going to borrow one from a friend so that I can callibrate my TV.

I have a question regarding the calibration using the AVIA. I appears that my hdtv remembers the settings for each interface. My question is: do I have to calibrate the colors for each input since, I have found myself using all the inputs. Currently Y Pb Pr is my favorite input of choice, but I have found myself using the other inputs.

Also why type of dvd player do you all have?

Man I've gotta catch up lol. I have the TV and Denon reciever but the DVD player is old and sucks and I need to get an HD antenna. When Xbox 360 and the HD DVD's come out (and probably down in price) I'll be set lol.

pv_symbiotic said:
I have a question regarding the calibration using the AVIA. I appears that my hdtv remembers the settings for each interface. My question is: do I have to calibrate the colors for each input since, I have found myself using all the inputs. Currently Y Pb Pr is my favorite input of choice, but I have found myself using the other inputs.

PV_Symbiotic,
What you are refering to is the composite inputs. I.E. The Red, Blue, and Green inputs. I use that for all of my connections except for the co-ax cable, which drives my Picture in Picture. (DVD, Digital Cable, & Receiver)

My DVD is good but not as good as I thought. After I made my purchase, I started getting into DVDs. Most DVD do not handle conversions very well. For an example, look at those Pixars movies (Bugs Life, Ants, Nemo, etc) and watch for the jagged edges. If you see them, it's your DVD.. Be careful, the high dollar DVDs isnt any better. It's all about the quality of the material that makes up your DVD not the name brand. But that is not what you asked us.

I have Sony's second line DVD player. It cost about $180-$220. I will get the Denon DVD next with the D-Link technology.. :nod:

How do you like the picture that AVIA displayed for you?

pv_symbiotic said:

OH and about those interfaces, you can calibrate for each input.. But on my Television, you can calibrate for each input and each video mode.

I finally calibrated my picture Thursday night with AVIA. The AVIA settings made a HUGH improvement to my picture quality. I will be readjusting two of my settings because I wasn?t paying attention to the first two sections of the dvd. Since I always complained about the skin tones not looking right, I flipped the tv some channels and I focused on flesh. I instantly noticed that that the newscasters did not look sick anymore.

I asked about each interface because I have about 5 interfaces on my tv that I constantly test. I noticed that my 2 component video interfaces had two different settings. C1 has the first setting from when originally because configuring the hdtv and C2 has the default settings that I like using because of the colors more vibrate. This evening I will compare the antenna settings and the S-video setting with the component video settings. That AVIA cd took my picture adjustment knowledge to another level that I never thought about. It was great learning about the different picture settings.

I was asking about what type of dvd player did you all have because I was thinking about getting one with the HDMI interface. The information that I was reading about the picture quality didn?t completely answer my questions about upconversion and picture quality. There appears to be many gaps that people just do not want to talk about. I had an issue with the fact that the source dvd wasn?t 1080i or 720p so I concluded that upconversion would not give me the picture quality that I was expecting. I say this because I remember the labs that I did in college where I worked with a transistor. There was a boost in signal but there was also a lot of noise with the signal boost. I will sit back and wait until next year for the HD dvd players and the HD dvds.

Until then, I can say that I am able to look at flesh as it was meant to be seen.

pv_symbiotic said:
I finally calibrated my picture Thursday night with AVIA. The AVIA settings made a HUGH improvement to my picture quality. I will be readjusting two of my settings because I wasn?t paying attention to the first two sections of the dvd. Since I always complained about the skin tones not looking right, I flipped the tv some channels and I focused on flesh. I instantly noticed that that the newscasters did not look sick anymore.

I asked about each interface because I have about 5 interfaces on my tv that I constantly test. I noticed that my 2 component video interfaces had two different settings. C1 has the first setting from when originally because configuring the hdtv and C2 has the default settings that I like using because of the colors more vibrate. This evening I will compare the antenna settings and the S-video setting with the component video settings. That AVIA cd took my picture adjustment knowledge to another level that I never thought about. It was great learning about the different picture settings.

I was asking about what type of dvd player did you all have because I was thinking about getting one with the HDMI interface. The information that I was reading about the picture quality didn?t completely answer my questions about upconversion and picture quality. There appears to be many gaps that people just do not want to talk about. I had an issue with the fact that the source dvd wasn?t 1080i or 720p so I concluded that upconversion would not give me the picture quality that I was expecting. I say this because I remember the labs that I did in college where I worked with a transistor. There was a boost in signal but there was also a lot of noise with the signal boost. I will sit back and wait until next year for the HD dvd players and the HD dvds.

Until then, I can say that I am able to look at flesh as it was meant to be seen.
pv_symbiotic,
Glad to help. I am upset at the fact that most people who get their HDTVs will not go out and get calabration software to enhance their picture quality. Most are impressed by the "Out the box" experience.

If you have a HDTV and Suround sound, get the AVIA DVD!!!!!!

Thanks for your help. I am not upset because most people hadn?t calibrated their home theater. Hey, I reached out and inquire as to the HDTV. I feel that if people cannot ask for help then they should be screwed.

I laugh at the ?out of the box? experience because the newscasters looked as if they were heading into the ?light.? Hey I was smart enough to know that I should research and ask questions about the HTDV. I am just happy that I did not just run out a purchase an HDTV without researching that would have been a bad experience. Just think about all the people that purchased monitors without tuners. They were info shock when they tried to watch HDTV at their cribs.

I have been telling my buddies to watch out for salesman that try to confuse consumers into thinking that digital tv is HDTV.

Tonight will be revisiting my 720p and 1080i debate. I expect 1080i to win this time.

pv_symbiotic said:
Thanks for your help. I am not upset because most people hadn?t calibrated their home theater. Hey, I reached out and inquire as to the HDTV. I feel that if people cannot ask for help then they should be screwed.

I laugh at the ?out of the box? experience because the newscasters looked as if they were heading into the ?light.? Hey I was smart enough to know that I should research and ask questions about the HTDV. I am just happy that I did not just run out a purchase an HDTV without researching that would have been a bad experience. Just think about all the people that purchased monitors without tuners. They were info shock when they tried to watch HDTV at their cribs.

I have been telling my buddies to watch out for salesman that try to confuse consumers into thinking that digital tv is HDTV.

Tonight will be revisiting my 720p and 1080i debate. I expect 1080i to win this time.

MY Television doesn't have a built in Tuner.. I like Time Warner Cable so I did not need a Built in Tuner... But sometimes when I am watching Smallville, I wish I had a built in since Warner doesn't carry WB-HD...

You are correct about the Digital(Enhanced TV) vs HDTV. My job purchased a digital TV for a great price. I was in shock but after looking at it, I really didn't look good. It was just in a digital format (16:9)

Yep, I expect 1081i to win because everything is being broadcasted in 1081i. Do the test with a DVD Player:
Test 1: DVD Progressive - TV Interlaced
Test 2: DVD Interlaced - TV Progressive
Test 3: DVD Progressive - TV Progressive
Test 4: DVD Interlaced - TV interlaced​
Tell us the results when you are finished playing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back