How we and others view our HBCU's.

I said earlier, I encourage students to apply for the plum jobs in the Fall semester for June. The majority do not. They wait until March or April then start the "I need a job" panic and only the crumbs are left. All their job experience is in fast food and they say they want to be a genetic scientist. No internships....Add to the not getting any assistance or feedback on their personal statement = Unemployed still in June. Again, failure to plan = mediocre existence.And they are mad about it...need a scapegoat. Well, I'll tell you who the major one should be: The man/woman in the mirror. Period.

I'm not understanding how that analogy applies to what we are talking about here in comparison?

I'm driving home a point about the Call Center to CT and your points..of yall saying ppl are working there because they are lazy, full of pride, ignorant to overcome obstacles to sum it up..which I am saying that's not the case in majority of these graduates.

I know what we did..I"m aware, but how is what CT stated about "have a planner of lives" equate to making 70-100k coming across that stage?

So all we gotta do is tell kids to "have a planner of lives" and bam they make 80k-100k coming fresh outta college??

How what she stated about ppl down to their last 100-500 dollars with a master degree or whatever degree, how does that go hand to hand with her statement..How she can't believe folks get down to that amount??
BTW, how many folks you know that come out of school earning 80-100K by happenstance? What makes them earn more than a lot of doctorate folks? What job is that?

Also, you've added a LOT of stuff I did not say. Your irks, quirks and biases are surfacing...just say what you want to say and go on what I've ACTUALLY written.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
CT

If I came to you and said...Give me 100 dollars every month and every year..for the rest of your life...don't tell you nothing about what I will do with it....just give it to me off the strength that we are bf and gf or really good friends..9 outta 10 response I would get will have a NO behind it...Hell No,
Fuk No
Psssh No
etc

Now if I presented you a plan that you can maybe see on your invest of 100 dollars each and every month...I can tell you, I'm building this building for these type of students..this will attract x, y, z student and increase our enrollment with these kind of students...or I'm raising 10 million for this weight room and this will attract better players..and we will update those who contribute with status updates...phases implementation, ground-breaking ceremony and the school will benefit in this type of way..on the back end...then I got your attention...

Aint nobody donating anything to anyone...that don't have a plan nor vision..plain and simple

I can have 100 million dollars and if SU don't have plans laid out on what will be done with the x amount of money I am donating to them..I'm not giving them one red cent..

Hell, for most when you give your mama, wife, husband, bf, gf money (just to borrow)..you at times may ask what they need it for...smh..come on now...

I suppose to give back just because I graduated from the school...and I paid to go there...and you are not telling me what is being done with the pool of funding that is coming in from the alumni??? Hell no...
Well I hope you've been giving back to SU because I've definitely been getting the packets telling me about the different programs and how my money can help support them.

CT, first and foremost, these are just opinions from both of us...I'm not trying to come across as a jerk or anything...I wanted to state this earlier...Those who are reading this, I am not attacking CT, I'm just simply on the other side of the fence on certain views she and others have.. No harm...
Just a healthy discussion (barbershop, hair salon talk)...so CT I want to let you know, I am not attacking you or anything, if we were face to face, I can present my point and afterwards, go get some ice cream and go see GET OUT or whatever the movie is called with you Lol. So I just want to clarify, whenever I do state something against your view, it's only my opinion and view, nothing personally or anything...at the end of all, I'd still be down for whoever that wants to see black ppl do better...not just CT but anyone on this board.
Aight now that I got that out...let me get on yo ass about your posts Lol..

Bighead, This is what I mean: Plan your work then work your plan. Plan your damn life. It's simple. I tell the students this regularly. FIRST, figure out what you are trying to accomplish: THE GOAL. Then, work it backwards--classes, internships, summer jobs, etc. Plug them in and actually apply.

Do kids want to be down to their last 100-500? They act like they do. They don't do anything to stop it. They just...exist and hope it turns out good. Look around and see how that works out. I'll stand by my statement: Plan your life. Don't work just anywhere....try to work in your field for summer jobs. It'.s not that hard. But folks don't FOCUS...they just go along and get side-tracked by anything shiny and fun and don't get me started on the unplanned pregnancies. They SABOTAGE themselves because, let's face it, it looks easier to exist than to work like dogshit for that gold ring. Mediocrity is the name of today's game.

Tell you what, go volunteer in your college or any nearby colleges class in your major. Get your eyes opened. Many don't get because they haven't don't even have a minimal plan to get. Kind of like folks want to get married, have the house, 2 cars, and a dog....but they don't want to go to work, have 4 kids and 3 baby mamas/daddies, drop out of college and have tats on the face. Extreme optimism needed to overcome.

CT, that's that whole, You vague talk that you're doing...I get the plan your life...and all that, but it doesn't always work...
Students that are coming out of these HBCUs planned to not work at Call Centers or your Lowes etc, that's what they result to having to do at the end of the day.

So CT, again, I ask, if every student that is graduating this Spring, took that approach (which I know that did, most of them) and "planned" their life,
Do you think by them "planning" (taking your approach) will keep them out of the Call Centers?? and other jobs like that??

So let's look at this a bit closer....Who are working in these Call Centers and Lowes...Home Depots etc...Most are HBCUs black graduates or black graduates for the most part that have degrees working in these odd jobs? Would you agree?

As far as giving back, I'm not that person to really have that convo with. I give back more than $100 monthly to my alma mater and have for almost 20 years, have a scholarship fund in my parent's name, received a philanthropic award, am on the Foundation Board...so if you think giving back is blind trust...okay. Hell, $5 a month from every alum would change your university. Five Frigging Dollars a month. Not even a Big Mac meal....
And you know why folks don't give back? #1- we don't teach them to the point of giving. We don't have any sessions while they are students to show them WHY they should. They just walk around like you--they taking my money and just phucking it off. #2- We don't ask well. Most HBCUs have a shitty method of communicating with their grads; marketing is in the toilet. You graduate and receive nothing for years...then you go to an event, give out your addy and the first piece of correspondence is a donation letter. #3- we don't make it easy to give. Paypal seems to trip them the hell up. Text donation gets you a stare. YOu have to practically snail mail in a check, just forget all the impulse giving that is ingrained in our psyche's....

So, no, I'm not on a I'm got mine, you get yours crap. I'm on some You MUST have STRATEGIC INPUT to get MAXIMIZED OUTPUT...otherwise, you are just in a World of Mediocre Existence by poor choice.

So you agree, that the administrators should be more transparent...whether it's 5 dollars or 5 cents...Do you feel that the administrators should have projects detailing the progression of them along with the funding allocated that has been put aside for said project?

Are do you just feel, since we've graduated from said school, we should just give 5 dollars each month and say oh well, that's my school???

My point is, Administrators at some of these HBCUs have to be more transparent with what they are doing with the donors donations...and the donations have to at least yielding some type of results...

If I'm a student that came out in 1987 and I'm coming back home, or hell just driving up on and around campus for the basketball/football/ etc games each and every Saturday and the campus still looks close to what it looked like in 1995, then as an person that is giving back...Should I continue? as a college graduate that's coming out this Spring in 2017, that student and the person that has been outta school since 1987 can share the exact same stories and nightmares about the registration process and how it hasn't change...But yet the administration is asking that newly graduate to donate to the university, you don't think that is a problem???

BTW, how many folks you know that come out of school earning 80-100K by happenstance? What makes them earn more than a lot of doctorate folks? What job is that?

Also, you've added a LOT of stuff I did not say. Your irks, quirks and biases are surfacing...just say what you want to say and go on what I've ACTUALLY written.

The only thing, I've stated you stated was the phrase about "Planners of lives" or something..and the fact that you couldn't wrap your mind around ppl being down to their last 100-500.

You didn't say this ^^^^^?? the other remarks were made by the Cee Dog dude...that's why I said CT and "your" points "your" is the poster I quoted.

I think the middle ground is that we all have to plan and set ourselves up for success- Black, White, Asian or Hispanic. Internships and communication with your advisors and professors are paramount to success early on in your career.

But we still have to acknowledge the reality that racism is a part of being in the workplace. One doesn't have to have a "defeatist" mindset to admit that. Let's be honest: a White person who fails to plan and prepare in college is more likely to have gainful employment after college than a Black student. If they are at the same job, the White person is going to have a higher salary. There is data and numbers that support that.

I went to work for an insurance company coming out of college. They would hire us in groups of 10 or 15....the White new hires were sent to departments like Underwriting, Business Operations and Marketing and they worked as analysts. The Black new hires were sent to the call centers and claims processing All things were equal: same age group, educational background and experience (next to nothing). I'm talking Black grads who graduated magna cum laude at JSU and Alcorn, as well as Black students who graduated with honors from MS State and Belhaven College; this is Black HBCU and Black PWI grads...brought us in and lumped us all in the same boat (no pun intended).

So I'm not taking anything away from what CT said, because everything she said was a fact. But Bighead didn't just make this up. This is stuff I experienced first hand. We were brought in as admin's and call center reps, and had to PROVE that we can work in the other higher-paying departments that newly White grads were placed in as soon as they walked off the stage at Ole Miss or Delta State.

CT, that's that whole, You vague talk that you're doing...I get the plan your life...and all that, but it doesn't always work...
Students that are coming out of these HBCUs planned to not work at Call Centers or your Lowes etc, that's what they result to having to do at the end of the day.

So CT, again, I ask, if every student that is graduating this Spring, took that approach (which I know that did, most of them) and "planned" their life,
Do you think by them "planning" (taking your approach) will keep them out of the Call Centers?? and other jobs like that??

So let's look at this a bit closer....Who are working in these Call Centers and Lowes...Home Depots etc...Most are HBCUs black graduates or black graduates for the most part that have degrees working in these odd jobs? Would you agree?

Bighead, planning your life is NOT vague. It IS that: making a written plan, filling in the specifics and actually doing what is written on that paper...a plan. And yes, I SEE the difference between kids who plan and those who just "go along." Yep, racism plays a part...but what about us doing our part to get further down the road. Living in the "it's not fair!" mindset and doing nothing won't change the outcome...you'll just be irritated about life when you already knew how the game was being played. You MUST have a plan...

So you agree, that the administrators should be more transparent...whether it's 5 dollars or 5 cents...Do you feel that the administrators should have projects detailing the progression of them along with the funding allocated that has been put aside for said project?

Are do you just feel, since we've graduated from said school, we should just give 5 dollars each month and say oh well, that's my school???

My point is, Administrators at some of these HBCUs have to be more transparent with what they are doing with the donors donations...and the donations have to at least yielding some type of results...

If I'm a student that came out in 1987 and I'm coming back home, or hell just driving up on and around campus for the basketball/football/ etc games each and every Saturday and the campus still looks close to what it looked like in 1995, then as an person that is giving back...Should I continue? as a college graduate that's coming out this Spring in 2017, that student and the person that has been outta school since 1987 can share the exact same stories and nightmares about the registration process and how it hasn't change...But yet the administration is asking that newly graduate to donate to the university, you don't think that is a problem???
Yes, the lack of progress is an issue but having been to a PWI, they also have issues...we seem to gloss them over a bit more. I just find it difficult to attend a school, SEE/EXPERIENCE lack and when you graduate...you don't try to change the world for the next alums...

We can go back and forth but I won't change this: I believe in planning your life and giving back to your school.

Bush treated HBCUs better than what Obama did Lol...smh..yall better wake up..

Dude Obama had to many excuses and we as black ppl have to call that crap out and stop with the cape because he's this and that...hell nah..

Firstly, Obama was NOT kind to HBCUs at all. That $4.6 billion that people keep stating is a vast manipulation tactic. Proof Here >>> Fact Checking President Obama on HBCUs

HBCUs are terribly underfunded with endowments, so much so, that a white high school has a larger fund reserve ($400MM) than all HBCUs, excluding Howard. The white high school endowment matches Howard.

Giving what I just said, what other options do we have but to take a meeting with Trump...who is still in the executive office? Should we not request more money from the government? What are your ideas? This is a serious question b/c we can't keep complaining without some resolve to fix this.

Again, I am NOT pro Trump. But I am so sick of people pretending like Obama cared about black people. At the end of the day, Trump met with HBCUs within a month while Obama, our first black president, dodged us for an entire year. We have the rest of the entire 4 year presidency to push our agendas to Trump, whether he bites or not.

Please peep this video...

HBCU liaison for Bush Administration Gives insight to how much we need federal money here.
[/QUOTE]

I think the middle ground is that we all have to plan and set ourselves up for success- Black, White, Asian or Hispanic. Internships and communication with your advisors and professors are paramount to success early on in your career.

But we still have to acknowledge the reality that racism is a part of being in the workplace. One doesn't have to have a "defeatist" mindset to admit that. Let's be honest: a White person who fails to plan and prepare in college is more likely to have gainful employment after college than a Black student. If they are at the same job, the White person is going to have a higher salary. There is data and numbers that support that.

I went to work for an insurance company coming out of college. They would hire us in groups of 10 or 15....the White new hires were sent to departments like Underwriting, Business Operations and Marketing and they worked as analysts. The Black new hires were sent to the call centers and claims processing All things were equal: same age group, educational background and experience (next to nothing). I'm talking Black grads who graduated magna cum laude at JSU and Alcorn, as well as Black students who graduated with honors from MS State and Belhaven College; this is Black HBCU and Black PWI grads...brought us in and lumped us all in the same boat (no pun intended).

So I'm not taking anything away from what CT said, because everything she said was a fact. But Bighead didn't just make this up. This is stuff I experienced first hand. We were brought in as admin's and call center reps, and had to PROVE that we can work in the other higher-paying departments that newly White grads were placed in as soon as they walked off the stage at Ole Miss or Delta State.

Breh, that's all I am saying...

This isn't even hidden anymore...Ppl are expecting to walk across the stage and not have something line'd up for them...

That's all I was saying...all this other stuff/talk..it's cool, but we in the real world and it's not all that groovy for black ppl coming outta of college..hell for black ppl period..it's time to be real...stop drinking the "oh I did it, you can do it too" kool-aid crap...

Bighead, planning your life is NOT vague. It IS that: making a written plan, filling in the specifics and actually doing what is written on that paper...a plan. And yes, I SEE the difference between kids who plan and those who just "go along." Yep, racism plays a part...but what about us doing our part to get further down the road. Living in the "it's not fair!" mindset and doing nothing won't change the outcome...you'll just be irritated about life when you already knew how the game was being played. You MUST have a plan...

CT, babygirl, I get the whole planning stage...but what you're missing is that it doesn't work for everybody all the time...

If every black person that's coming outta college from these HBCUs this spring....in your world, if they have a plan...where would they be working???

Breh, that's all I am saying...

This isn't even hidden anymore...Ppl are expecting to walk across the stage and not have something line'd up for them...

That's all I was saying...all this other stuff/talk..it's cool, but we in the real world and it's not all that groovy for black ppl coming outta of college..hell for black ppl period..it's time to be real...stop drinking the "oh I did it, you can do it too" kool-aid crap...
There is the problem--mindset. You have to b e proactive in your own life, not expect "something to be lined up for them." Can you at least APPLY? Can you at least attempt to competitive for the job? Use whatever you need to to explain whatever you want. At the end of the day: CT IS GETTING IT...if you want to get there too, see what I"m doing. #1-making a life plan.

CT, babygirl, I get the whole planning stage...but what you're missing is that it doesn't work for everybody all the time...

If every black person that's coming outta college from these HBCUs this spring....in your world, if they have a plan...where would they be working???
Bighead...nothing works for everyone...but a plan works for most. If they had a plan, they would be working in their field or in a graduate program of their CHOICE...not, where somebody could pull some last minute strings to get them there.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
There is the problem--mindset. You have to b e proactive in your own life, not expect "something to be lined up for them." Can you at least APPLY? Can you at least attempt to competitive for the job? Use whatever you need to to explain whatever you want. At the end of the day: CT IS GETTING IT...if you want to get there too, see what I"m doing. #1-making a life plan.

CT, these kids are applying..noone wants to work at a Call Center...These kids are going out and doing what they need to do...again Noone wants to work in retail holding a degree in their back pocket..
You making it seem like these kids are just getting their degree and plopping on the sofa "waiting" for someone to call them?

Having a plan...won't get you Hired in a 500 Fortune company..
Having a plan...won't even get you Hired in the field you have graduated in.

I can plan all day to submit apps to Microsoft...will they hire me after I walked across the stage???

I planned to work at Microsoft ever since I was 13, now that I got my degree, I'm working at Home Depot...with 100-500 dollars left in my pocket...

I did it the CT way, but look where I'm at..Lol..You really think these kids are not going down that route..just because you don't see in front of you, doesn't mean that these graduates are not at home or wherever putting in work

Bighead, I guess you missed where I said I work with kids. Everybody isn't wired to succeed and a LOT of those kids are just doing stuff. I ask an Ag senior, what they want to do and they say write poetry??? I'm like why didn't you major in English then? I ask a biology major what their career goals are and they tell me they have a hook up to work at CSpire?? NO PLAN. If you take the time to do the camps, internships, see the recruiters when they come, actually have the skillset they need, etc....you shouldn't fail to at least get a entry level position. Sorry about you and Microsoft...but hope you get what you want soon.

I can plan to go to the moon at 5...Will I go?

You can plan all day..but you have to be real with yourself...

These kids coming out of these HBCUs don't get on like talking bout once they graduate...why is this hard for you to see??? Planning doesn't put you on somebodies payroll???

The Grace of God does....

I plan to work at Google
I plan to work at ESPN
I plan to work at Disney
I plan to work at ABC

All this was thought out at the age of 10...I graduated from PV with a 3.7...I submitted everything..apps to these companies...tried to do an co-op/internship..nothing....Now I have no job in my field...

What am I suppose now, wait "plan" to do...How my plan looking now??? see all that is vague phrases that ppl telling these kids..hero talk...those days are over...it's real life out here..planning and no planning yo ass could possibly find yoself working in a Call Center or Lowes somewhere...then as the poster said..taking some shitty ass job..just to say you have a 9-5..
Come on now CT, let's not be so obtuse about what's happening...

Tell these kids the truth...all these empty ass statements about planning and striving..miss me wit that, hero talk, it's hard out here and it's hard out here for young black kids with degrees, thus you see so many working in the Call Centers and etc...

Nothing

Bighead, I guess you missed where I said I work with kids. Everybody isn't wired to succeed and a LOT of those kids are just doing stuff. I ask an Ag senior, what they want to do and they say write poetry??? I'm like why didn't you major in English then? I ask a biology major what their career goals are and they tell me they have a hook up to work at CSpire?? NO PLAN. If you take the time to do the camps, internships, see the recruiters when they come, actually have the skillset they need, etc....you shouldn't fail to at least get a entry level position. Sorry about you and Microsoft...but hope you get what you want soon.

CT,
What should have the biology major plan should have been???

Please share it...

IF he feels that he can get on with a hook-up...aint that a plan??? You have to 98% know someone to get on anyway Lol...What is you saying??

Going to camps/internships etc is all find and dandy, but the truth of matter is, those graduates may end up working at a Call Center before they really get on after doing all that...

I'm not getting why you don't see this...

What's wrong with poetry??

Let me say this BH...many of these students, well, are just doing something/going through the motions. They don't have a clear plan of their endgame. It's VAGUE...and they go into job interviews unprepared--lack of company history knowledge, their skillsets are close but not really what they want--have have computer networking but they want a computer software developer...and those personal statements?? OMG!!! But what should we do differently to get them to better. I can't get the out of bed and drag them to every career day to get them to even meet folks. I can't drag them to the Fortune 500 we worked so hard to get to come and 2 kids come out to see....I call it busy work; they are doing something but they aren't going anywhere getting them further down the road.

Look, we think differently. I'm the walking talking billboard for successful planning. You apparently are not--your words. Let's just miss each other because we aren't gonna ride the same ride the same way.

Back