How we and others view our HBCU's.

I think we get a bad rap because we are not transparent enough.

Administrators ask alumni to donate back, but the 1.1 million that you raise, where is every red cent of that going to?

Can I see that?

Why not present a plan/project with said funds that you want to raise and present it to your alumni so that they can get motivated to "wanna" donate to help see that project built/complete.

Don't just keep saying "We as alumni from the HBCU" have to give back....hell no

Just like I read a story where Bill Cosby gave x amount of money and stated he wanted the money to go here and do this for this project....the school told him what they didn't want to do what he wanted his money to do and go towards, that they were going to do something else with his money and put it towards something else Lol....How bout he took his money and donated it to another HBCU school...

Gotta change our mindset and be more transparent with the alumni if you want them to donate the "little" funds that we are getting out here.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
You can't cape for anyone using that logic. just read. Black on black criticisms abound...even by you Bighead...

I'm just saying, Obama talked down on black ppl (True or False)

Then yall come in say "well black ppl talk down on black ppl"

The whole Black on Black crime BS to cover up the fact that dude shit'd on black folks every chance he got...instead of just calling dude out on his antics

Obama can be called out on his BS smh...Black ppl need to get off that whole crap....

Transparency as well as VISIBLE OUTPUT. IMO HBCUs don't study and understand the psychology of those they serve. The use white folks models when many black folks think differently. Transparency is tantamount for black folks...and that's the one thing they get their drawers in a bunch about providing, talking about they didn't ask their PWC. Can't change how folks think but we can capitalize on that.

But we as alumni MUST give back. Shit, if you won't invest in your own....who the hell else should? That's basic logic 101.

I'm just saying, Obama talked down on black ppl (True or False)

Then yall come in say "well black ppl talk down on black ppl"

The whole Black on Black crime BS to cover up the fact that dude shit'd on black folks every chance he got...instead of just calling dude out on his antics

Obama can be called out on his BS smh...Black ppl need to get off that whole crap....
That was using YOUR LOGIC Bighead. See, you get on these tangents wanting to push YOUR agenda, when the reality the entire stuff is murky. Obama did do for HBCUs...but you'd rather sweep that all under the rug because he wasn't just the black folks president. Well, you got one that is just a white folks president, and folks aren't happy with that. Do tell how he could have done more.

Transparency as well as VISIBLE OUTPUT. IMO HBCUs don't study and understand the psychology of those they serve. The use white folks models when many black folks think differently. Transparency is tantamount for black folks...and that's the one thing they get their drawers in a bunch about providing, talking about they didn't ask their PWC. Can't change how folks think but we can capitalize on that.

But we as alumni MUST give back. Shit, if you won't invest in your own....who the hell else should? That's basic logic 101.

I'm with you on we must give back...no problems...but I need to know where my money is going and doing for the institution.

I'm not giving you my last 100-500 to say I gave back...hell no..I need to know what's that money is doing and when will I see results.

1st our Administrators have to understand the game we are in as black ppl.. They have to understand that 80% of folks that graduate from HBCUs are not making nearly as much in salary as the white kids that graduate from these PWI. They become CEOs, managers, run 500 fortune companies and move up the ladder faster than black graduates..At times, it takes a while for black graduates to even get "on" per say, most are working odd jobs..call centers and living pay check to pay check...and on top of that..paying back student loans....Every black graduate isn't making 100,000 are above...

Then our Administrators need to present projects on small scale.....Get a strong 300 alums who donate at a small rate to fund small projects...
Get your big donors who you know would drop to give back...use their funds for your bigger projects..and make the project transparent for EVERYBODY TO SEE.

I mean we need to overhaul our mind..and just start over....Just asking for funds...you won't get it without making ppl wanna donate...

That was using YOUR LOGIC Bighead. See, you get on these tangents wanting to push YOUR agenda, when the reality the entire stuff is murky. Obama did do for HBCUs...but you'd rather sweep that all under the rug because he wasn't just the black folks president. Well, you got one that is just a white folks president, and folks aren't happy with that. Do tell how he could have done more.

Let's just agree to disagree...I can't...

For the record, I was responding to dude who said the whole "Black ppl talk about black" when another poster made the comment about how Obama talks down on black ppl....

As for as that "vague" comment me sweeping what dude has done for HBCUs...please read "deep" into the situation and not listen to sound bites and hear-say "half" information...

Dig deep and see what dude has done for HBCUs and the impact HBCUs has been since he's taken office.

Please take 10-15 mins to read this so that you won't continue to spew out that Obama did sooooo many great things for HBCUs...Lol

Stop drinking the kool-aid and please start reading about black folks situation...

https://theundefeated.com/features/obamas-roller-coaster-relationship-with-hbcus/

Is this the same guy who follows Tariq Nasheed who talks down on black women like a dog?

I follow also

James Small
Francis Cress Welsing
Tony Browder
Dr. Clark Anderson
William Valentine
Neely Fuller
Jason Black
Michelle Alexander
Dr. Ben
Dr. Sebi
Dick Gregory
Zoe Williams
Umar Johnson
2pac

I can go on...and provide you some authors of books...if so...

What's your point?

And show me several clips where Tariq Nasheed is talking down on good standing black women like a dog???

Didn't 2 pac talk down on black women too?

Ppl are so obtuse

No koolaid, reality. You want life in extremes--ALL for this or that...and life isn't/can't/unlikely to be lived like that. The REALITY is that Prez Obama DID do for HBCUs. The reality is that some folks think he didn't do enough---which remains undefined for perpetuity. Some folks wanted him to be 100% pro-black...and he wasn't.

Here it the reality. You got a biracial dude raised by white folks and folks want him to be the real Homebody Extraordinaire...with no history or training. Yep, he realized he was missing something and told his white GF he wanted a black queen...but you think his rearing gave him the "black experience?" Nope. We had what we always had until the light bulb came on: A white dude trying to empathize but not completely invested because he didn't "get" it. Holder helped him see the light and I thank him for trying to do what he did despite the opposition. But I can NEVER talk down about him because he HAS done more for our race than others combined....Now you got a white bread administration who is talking but not walking. He gonna give us some crumbs on the front, Nuccas happy to take a pic with Orange Cheeto to act like we've accomplished shit, when the "listening session" where the meat an crux of the issues to be presented was cut from a couple of hours to 15 minutes. Man, they just shucking and jiving HBCUs IMO.

I'm with you on we must give back...no problems...but I need to know where my money is going and doing for the institution.

I'm not giving you my last 100-500 to say I gave back...hell no..I need to know what's that money is doing and when will I see results.

1st our Administrators have to understand the game we are in as black ppl.. They have to understand that 80% of folks that graduate from HBCUs are not making nearly as much in salary as the white kids that graduate from these PWI. They become CEOs, managers, run 500 fortune companies and move up the ladder faster than black graduates..At times, it takes a while for black graduates to even get "on" per say, most are working odd jobs..call centers and living pay check to pay check...and on top of that..paying back student loans....Every black graduate isn't making 100,000 are above...

Then our Administrators need to present projects on small scale.....Get a strong 300 alums who donate at a small rate to fund small projects...
Get your big donors who you know would drop to give back...use their funds for your bigger projects..and make the project transparent for EVERYBODY TO SEE.

I mean we need to overhaul our mind..and just start over....Just asking for funds...you won't get it without making ppl wanna donate...

I'll tell you, I have a problem with this entire mindset. The FIRST problem I have, is WHY are they not successful. I can tell you why....many HBCU grads aren't planners of their lives. They have a defeatist attitude and as I've said so many times, a great saboteurs of their lives. Why should someone be down to their last 100-500 dollars? I work at a HBCU...it is an uphill struggle to get them to apply for the plum jobs in November for June. It's a stretch to get them to apply for the shitload of scholarships available...lack of initiative.

Then I look at how wildly successful I've been, my sibling have been, my parents were/are...and nope, I'm not buying all this can't move up. It's called lack of preparation in many cases. Black folks didn't plan, don't want to go somewhere they haven't lived before or have people they know...and the shit is encouraged by family. We want jobs in our backyards...when there are none.

A small number of alums is the basis of most HBCUs endowments. Imagine how you could transform your university if everyone gave. Money TALKS. Trust.

What's your thoughts about Obama though doing it? It's sad that blacks talk down on blacks, but Obama doing it every chance he got is what again?

Let's not let it slide breh....
That is one reason he and Jessie crossed horns. Remember Jessie's open mic?

I'll tell you, I have a problem with this entire mindset. The FIRST problem I have, is WHY are they not successful. I can tell you why....many HBCU grads aren't planners of their lives. They have a defeatist attitude and as I've said so many times, a great saboteurs of their lives. Why should someone be down to their last 100-500 dollars? I work at a HBCU...it is an uphill struggle to get them to apply for the plum jobs in November for June. It's a stretch to get them to apply for the shitload of scholarships available...lack of initiative.

Then I look at how wildly successful I've been, my sibling have been, my parents were/are...and nope, I'm not buying all this can't move up. It's called lack of preparation in many cases. Black folks didn't plan, don't want to go somewhere they haven't lived before or have people they know...and the shit is encouraged by family. We want jobs in our backyards...when there are none.

A small number of alums is the basis of most HBCUs endowments. Imagine how you could transform your university if everyone gave. Money TALKS. Trust.
Many valid points made here

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
[

CT really?

You really think x amount of these graduates are lazy?

And what do you even mean by "planners of their lives" what does that even yield? all these vague statements, symbolic phrases don't put food on the table...

Please if you may, be specific of what you mean by saying "planners of their life" How can the statement or steps that are associated with the vague term "planners of their life" equate to a Political Science Major or Marketing Major, make 80k coming out of school...

How can that "planners of their lives" phrase you just post translate to 80% (not 100) but let's use 80% of the kids that will graduate this Spring from TSU result in them all 80% making 80k starting off?

Ppl with master degrees are working in Retail
Ppl with master degrees are working in Call Centers
Ppl with BA are working at Lowes and Home Depot

What is you saying CT? You think they wanna work there??? You think they wanna be down to their last 100-500 dollars??? See this is the disconnect that we have within our community...Ppl think that it's easy to say those phrase and tell ppl to just apply apply and apply and you'll get an offer....Ppl submit resumes all day every day and still waking up the next morning punching in to go do security work, or police work, or retail work....

You are in the minority that have made it out and can say that they are doing well...So all those other folks that are walking around here with Master degrees and all types of other degrees don't wanna live like you??? smh come on now..you not keeping it real wit cho self and thinking all ppl gotta do is "have a plan" and they'll walk across the stage with a 80k-120k salary job and life will be grand....that's not even realistic thinking you are doing over there?

A plan is good, but all plans don't fall through...how many times does someone change the plans when building a house?? and you think plans don't change in ppl lives??? come on now CT...You really on some Pull up yourself up, Bill Cosby talk now..and not understanding that it takes black folks, especially those that come out of an HBCU an x amount of time to really start making some money...Some still don't ever get to that point...

Good, valid points made by both of you on this one.

CT

If I came to you and said...Give me 100 dollars every month and every year..for the rest of your life...don't tell you nothing about what I will do with it....just give it to me off the strength that we are bf and gf or really good friends..9 outta 10 response I would get will have a NO behind it...Hell No,
Fuk No
Psssh No
etc

Now if I presented you a plan that you can maybe see on your invest of 100 dollars each and every month...I can tell you, I'm building this building for these type of students..this will attract x, y, z student and increase our enrollment with these kind of students...or I'm raising 10 million for this weight room and this will attract better players..and we will update those who contribute with status updates...phases implementation, ground-breaking ceremony and the school will benefit in this type of way..on the back end...then I got your attention...

Aint nobody donating anything to anyone...that don't have a plan nor vision..plain and simple

I can have 100 million dollars and if SU don't have plans laid out on what will be done with the x amount of money I am donating to them..I'm not giving them one red cent..

Hell, for most when you give your mama, wife, husband, bf, gf money (just to borrow)..you at times may ask what they need it for...smh..come on now...

I suppose to give back just because I graduated from the school...and I paid to go there...and you are not telling me what is being done with the pool of funding that is coming in from the alumni??? Hell no...

If a tree falls in the Forrest and no one hears it fall how do you know it fell? CT summed up that falling tree but the Forrest ain't listening. Excuses are made by weak people. Pride, self-esteem, excuses and ignorance of overcoming obstacles is why folks can't change a mindset. Anyone can read and regurgitate what's in a book, but very few can apply it.

Keep thinking why (younger) folks don't give back to HBCUs because of pride and self-esteem..

Keep thinking why (younger) folks that are working in Call Centers and other places outside of their degree are full of pride and are out here making excuses and want to work there

All CT stated was to "have a plan" and that will yield you a nice job and get you outta of these Call Centers and into these corporation/companies...
Saying it's a shame that a college graduate is down to their last 100-500 dollars..it's there fault because of that and that they didn't have a plan before entering HS...Lol..Ok..

Yall will wake up one day...just not today I see

Last edited:
We shoveled pig shyt and horse shyt along with cotton. Yet you complain about a call center?

Keep thinking why (younger) folks don't give back to HBCUs because of pride and self-esteem..

Keep thinking why (younger) folks that are working in Call Centers and other places outside of their degree are full of pride and are out here making excuses and want to work there

Yall will wake up one day...just not today I see

We shoveled pig shyt and horse shyt along with cotton. Yet you complain about a call center?

I'm not understanding how that analogy applies to what we are talking about here in comparison?

I'm driving home a point about the Call Center to CT and your points..of yall saying ppl are working there because they are lazy, full of pride, ignorant to overcome obstacles to sum it up..which I am saying that's not the case in majority of these graduates.

I know what we did..I"m aware, but how is what CT stated about "have a planner of lives" equate to making 70-100k coming across that stage?

So all we gotta do is tell kids to "have a planner of lives" and bam they make 80k-100k coming fresh outta college??

How what she stated about ppl down to their last 100-500 dollars with a master degree or whatever degree, how does that go hand to hand with her statement..How she can't believe folks get down to that amount??

Last edited:
True be told here..

A black person college education will not at times yield him or her as much as a white person's college education. That will answer all your giving back concerns.

A black person college education will not at time yield him or her the benefits for having that education, Up until 1950 a black man with a college education would not earn as much as white man that was a HS dropout.

Bighead, This is what I mean: Plan your work then work your plan. Plan your damn life. It's simple. I tell the students this regularly. FIRST, figure out what you are trying to accomplish: THE GOAL. Then, work it backwards--classes, internships, summer jobs, etc. Plug them in and actually apply.

Do kids want to be down to their last 100-500? They act like they do. They don't do anything to stop it. They just...exist and hope it turns out good. Look around and see how that works out. I'll stand by my statement: Plan your life. Don't work just anywhere....try to work in your field for summer jobs. It'.s not that hard. But folks don't FOCUS...they just go along and get side-tracked by anything shiny and fun and don't get me started on the unplanned pregnancies. They SABOTAGE themselves because, let's face it, it looks easier to exist than to work like dogshit for that gold ring. Mediocrity is the name of today's game.

Tell you what, go volunteer in your college or any nearby colleges class in your major. Get your eyes opened. Many don't get because they haven't don't even have a minimal plan to get. Kind of like folks want to get married, have the house, 2 cars, and a dog....but they don't want to go to work, have 4 kids and 3 baby mamas/daddies, drop out of college and have tats on the face. Extreme optimism needed to overcome.

Last edited:
As far as giving back, I'm not that person to really have that convo with. I give back more than $100 monthly to my alma mater and have for almost 20 years, have a scholarship fund in my parent's name, received a philanthropic award, am on the Foundation Board...so if you think giving back is blind trust...okay. Hell, $5 a month from every alum would change your university. Five Frigging Dollars a month. Not even a Big Mac meal....
And you know why folks don't give back? #1- we don't teach them to the point of giving. We don't have any sessions while they are students to show them WHY they should. They just walk around like you--they taking my money and just phucking it off. #2- We don't ask well. Most HBCUs have a shitty method of communicating with their grads; marketing is in the toilet. You graduate and receive nothing for years...then you go to an event, give out your addy and the first piece of correspondence is a donation letter. #3- we don't make it easy to give. Paypal seems to trip them the hell up. Text donation gets you a stare. YOu have to practically snail mail in a check, just forget all the impulse giving that is ingrained in our psyche's....

So, no, I'm not on a I'm got mine, you get yours crap. I'm on some You MUST have STRATEGIC INPUT to get MAXIMIZED OUTPUT...otherwise, you are just in a World of Mediocre Existence by poor choice.

Back