How we and others view our HBCU's.

buckwheat1911

One of my fraternity brothers here in DC posted on his FB page that hs son had received correspondence from several Ivy league schools, and other PWI's while in the eleventh grade. He mentioned how proud he was that he has worked hard. One of his friends mentioned that he should have his son also consider HBCU's and he agreed because he is a Grambling grad also. One of his female friends posted that if he is getting Ivy league offers that he shouldn't consider an HBCU if it's not Howard, Hampton, Morehouse, or Spelman. He mentioned that his son has considered NC A&T. The lady said that she worked for KPMG and was on the hiring committee and that the people on the committee had all types of negative comments about the HBCU resumes. I told her she has no pride in herself if she let those people down our schools. I gave her examples of the places I have worked and the people I have worked with from PWI's and they didn't impress me or know anymore than I did. I think this is why we continue to lag behind other groups. We are so busy downing our own people. We view ourselves and our education as inferior.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
White folks always have something negative to say about black folks is what our people don't get. If a black is at a Ivy league school they say affirmative action programs got them in. If blacks attend HBCUs the cracks got something negative to say. White folks think only white folks earn degrees and the jobs they have. Unfortunately we don't get it. By the way ivy league schools are way overrated. Way overrated.

The views of white racist carry over from their homes to the work place. If you live in and grow up in a racist environment you bring those views into a diversified setting because you look for the negative in everything to prove your beliefs. Many of the old white male conservatives believe NASA programs never had problems until they were forced to hire minorities and women. These same folks passed the ideas to their kids that blacks can't do math. Blacks are not critical thinkers. Whites have a superiority complex where they pretend that they can't understand when minorities speak. If you aren't stereo typical they must find a way to put you into a negative statistic. On the other hand some blacks feel if whites don't play a role in their life it is not great.

This is why I typically volunteer to be on hiring committees, even if I am not the hiring manager or it is not my department. We have to be in the room and at the table to influence the mindset/conversations about "us" in regards to our assumed educational experiences.

While we are at it I must bring up an issue that also hurt HBCUs. Back doing the 90's some companies were ramping up hiring from HBCUs and black people in general. The problem came in when the buddy buddy frat and friend system came in. Black folks were just hiring their unqualified frat/soror and friends instead of the qualified blacks into those positions. Noting is wrong with helping your frat/soror or friends but when you hire the wrong ones for the jobs it makes it hard for the qualified people to get hired. Sometimes keeping it real is stupid! If you gonna hire your folks make sure they're competent. That's all I'm saying. Dumb friends mess it up for everyone!

Last edited:
While we are at it I must bring up an issue that also hurt HBCUs. Back doing the 90's some companies were ramping up hiring from HBCUs and black people in general. The problem came in when the buddy buddy frat and friend system came in. Black folks were just hiring their unqualified frat/soror and friends instead of the qualified blacks into those positions. Noting is wrong with helping your frat/soror or friends but when you hire the wrong ones for the jobs it makes it hard for the qualified people to get hired. Sometimes keeping it real is stupid! If you gonna hire your folks make sure they're competent. That's all I'm saying. Dumb friends mess it up for everyone!
Hiring incompetent people is the biggest headache man. I got a sister right now I have given 4 chances too. I really, really don't want to let her go (I have issues firing people to be honest) but she got to go.

White folks always have something negative to say about black folks is what our people don't get. If a black is at a Ivy league school they say affirmative action programs got them in. If blacks attend HBCUs the cracks got something negative to say. White folks think only white folks earn degrees and the jobs they have. Unfortunately we don't get it. By the way ivy league schools are way overrated. Way overrated.
President Obama was IVY league....what did they say about him?

Hiring incompetent people is the biggest headache man. I got a sister right now I have given 4 chances too. I really, really don't want to let her go (I have issues firing people to be honest) but she got to go.
I have no such issue....contract me to do :)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
President Obama talked down on black folks nearly every chance he got, too. Ask the CBC and grads at Morehouse and Howard when he spoke at their Commencements.

Ivy League blacks feel they are above the rest of us.
I get what you are saying. My response was about no matter where we go to school a certain segment of society will always try to play up the negative and minimize our accomplishments.

Hell HBCU Blacks talk down on blacks every chance they get LOL

What's your thoughts about Obama though doing it? It's sad that blacks talk down on blacks, but Obama doing it every chance he got is what again?

Let's not let it slide breh....

Oh, Obama definitely is an ivy league person. He love them ivy league mofo's... Mane, I hate them folks.

Guys, stop. Obama is indicative of the black mofos you see around you who haven't been to HBCUs. They don't "get" them. Now the ones that went to HBCUs then act like they aren't good enough for their kids, those mofos are full of horseshit of the first order.

Nah we can't cape and make excuses...

Being black, you shouldn't criticize any black person no matter if you went to an HBCU or not, especially like he did...

Let's not cape for dude...he made his share of mistakes when it came to black ppl

We as black ppl have to get off that and think we can't call out Obama for the lack he's done for black ppl and what he's done to black ppl.

Back