How is your lawn doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fort there is always next year just plan ahead and maybe one day when I leave the baseball field I can help ya get started ......:winkgrin:

Fort there is always next year just plan ahead and maybe one day when I leave the baseball field I can help ya get started ......:winkgrin:
Sweetie, I trust you're "donating time & talent" - if so, come on by & note that I'll be WATCHING you work - seriously. I've paid people to "help" me, but as I said earlier, they told me ALL I needed to do was consistently water every other day, but my schedule is so crazy - it doesn't happen as often as needed.

I would take those pics to a local lawn and garden store (NOT HOMEDEPOT). They may be able to recommend something. From the looks of it FORT, that grass is DEAD, not DORMANT. You may need to till it up and lay down some sod.

Sod is the quickest way to get a yard. I laid some down at my old house. It cost me about $700, but my yard was completely ready in about 30 days.

Sweetie, I trust you're "donating time & talent" - if so, come on by & note that I'll be WATCHING you work - seriously. I've paid people to "help" me, but as I said earlier, they told me ALL I needed to do was consistently water every other day, but my schedule is so crazy - it doesn't happen as often as needed.

Fa shizzle I think

That's why I'm FORTITUDE/STRONG. I have 2 sprinklers. I think one has a timer, but I don't think it's gonna happen - I'm just not in to it & I've tried. Why don't you send the pics in for me? And what about my doggone ROCK WALKWAY (I did it myself) - let's focus on the positive.

Well you know, you have admitted that you are just not into it, so hey, I can respect that. Since that is the case,
if having a "green" lawn is really important to you, or something that you really want, there are some more heat
tolerant types of grasses that you may want to look in to. Also, if money is no object, you can go with some artificial
stuff that "looks like" grass, but is not. As for sending the pictures in for you, the next time I hear one of those,
"send us a picture of your...promos", I may just do that...:winkgrin:

As for the positive, you could definitely do some consulting on rock walkways....it really does look nice....:tup:

Fort, I am happy to say
Your yard looks "worser" than mine
but since I can't laugh, I will :cry: for you.

I went outside to look at mine, and I don't see how a drought could have torn a yard up that bad. Maybe it is the kind of grass, maybe it is the length of the cut. In dry times, it is better to cut your grass high. It takes less water to sustain the grass when it is high. I adjust my lawnmower on the highest setting. Once a yard gets a certain height, the growing slows down. You can skip a week , if you don't have serious weedage....

Well here is mine.. Crabgrass and all....

yard.jpg

:( Fort, I will remember you this night when I'm on my knees. My yard doesnt look anything like that. I guess I will post my pics now.

Watering..

The groundskeeper at UAPB told me something VERY interesting about 5 years ago. He said it is BEST to water more in the spring and cut back on watering in the summer. The reason being is water is stored BELOW the surface. In the summer, if you cut back on watering, your roots will be FORCED to dig deeper to get to the water that is stored. This in turns makes your roots LONGER. The longer your grass roots, the healthier your grass.

I have a sprinkler system. I water once every 4 days. Each station is set to 20 minutes. The start time is 4:00am. The reason it is set 4:00am is because you don't want the water to sit on the grass too long, because it will cause FUNGUS to grow. When you water at night, that is what happens.

As we get into the drought period in Texas (July & August), I will water every 4 days for 10 minutes a station, instead of 20 minutes. I am one adjustment away from being able to mow at the highest level on my lawn mower.

I aint never heard that about watering more in the spring time but I do only water in the morning. I do mines for about 20-30 minutes twice a week. I'll do the side on sunday and wednesdays, the front on monday and thursday. We have been cutting it on fridays. I'm still a couple of levels from the top of the mower level but I got a big mower level so it will take me about another month before I reach the maximum height.

I had never head it before, but after trying it, it does make your roots somewhere between 8 to 12 inches long. By watering heavier in the summer, (HE SAID) it trains your roots to be LAZY and not DIG deeper for water.

Kinda makes sense and kinda doesn't, but I've been doing it for the past 5 or so years and it seems to work. This guy that told me this is responsible for the upkeep of the football field at UAPB.

Frat, that is some good information there.....:tup: I have grass with lazy roots b/c I hit it everyday. However, I have fescue and with enough water, I manage to keep it green throughout the summer too. Most professionals warn against this, as it is too hard to keep fescue in GA in the summer. But, I like having green grass at Christmas, so there it is.

Another thing, you are right on the money with the facts about not letting the water sit on the grass "too" long. Some of my neighbors water starting at 10 pm to about midnight. I did that once and noticed my grass beginning to get "sick".

Watering..

The groundskeeper at UAPB told me something VERY interesting about 5 years ago. He said it is BEST to water more in the spring and cut back on watering in the summer. The reason being is water is stored BELOW the surface. In the summer, if you cut back on watering, your roots will be FORCED to dig deeper to get to the water that is stored. This in turns makes your roots LONGER. The longer your grass roots, the healthier your grass.

I have a sprinkler system. I water once every 4 days. Each station is set to 20 minutes. The start time is 4:00am. The reason it is set 4:00am is because you don't want the water to sit on the grass too long, because it will cause FUNGUS to grow. When you water at night, that is what happens.

As we get into the drought period in Texas (July & August), I will water every 4 days for 10 minutes a station, instead of 20 minutes. I am one adjustment away from being able to mow at the highest level on my lawn mower.

I thought the BEST TIME for WATERING GRASS was at night.
That way the water will not evaporate in the daylight heat.

I know a lot of people who got their sprinklers set between 11pm and 3am.

I knew about about not watering at night. If you notice, most commercial locations only water early to mid morning. All the pro's will tell you not to water in the late afternoon or at night. You want the left over water to evaporate instead of sitting there providing a breeding ground for fungus.

Good info sperm about cutting back on watering in the summer.

You might be right but damn it has been 75 and 80 at night. Man my yard is gone to the pits it seems. Stag yours is not bad.

Ecologically speaking it is best to water at night. It is probably best for the grass to do it in the early morning hours.

Like Sperm said earlier stagga, fungus growth potential if the water just "sits" overnight. :read:

I think so. A guy at work told me last Thurs. it hadn't rained at his house (Reservoir) in 26 days. Hmmm, my po landscaper took time out of her schedule to go w/me to Lakeland Lawn & Garden and helped me pick out plants; we bought grass seed & fertilizer and .............................

Well, I'll give you an "A" for effort and trying Pretty Forti. But still. It's a shame you let that OVERLY green grass die like that gul. :confused: It was beautiful! :tup:

Okay, I spoke w/my lady today. Below are points of interest.

• The previous owner had the grass pulled up and flower beds put in on the front & back, thus I really don't have grass. That's why I have strange plants & bulbs popping up every.
  • She offered for the umpteenth time to come & water my grass for me for a fee - I've elected AGAIN not to take her up on it.
  • What you see is the Rye grass I put dowon in the winter - she said it's finally dying away.
  • She bought me Bermuda seed - I'll ask about St. Augustine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back