Historic accounts of the First Ever SWAC (HBCU) 5th Quarter

Brave

Da Better U get, Da Better we get & That's IT
According to legend a SU bus was late, referees didn't allow for much play in a highly contested game. Thus when the directors exchanged pleasantries around halftime Dr. Greggs (SU) and Mr. Samuel Griffin (Alcorn) decided that after the game was the best time to battle. The game ended and the first selection of the 5th "The Coldest Day of My Life" by the Chi-Lites was played. the opposing band responded in kind and the battle commenced. The legendary HBCU 5th quarter battles were born.

Last edited:
More details from "The First 5th"
Alcorn and SU battled until the sun went down. SU was very prepared for the battle, even blowing one of Alcorn songs back at them. SU got the W and forced Alcorn to repeat songs. SOD blocked it up as SU played one more to show they still had bullets left. Little did the band members of both know that they had just participated in a historic battle that would become a hallmark staple for HBCU styled bands all the way up to present day.

Sidenote.

Griff and SOD used that battle with SU to fuel them on their meeting with Jackson State. They released all that anger on Jackson State in the rivals first ever 5th Quarter, causing JSU to repeat. Jackson St. packed it up and left while Alcorn mocked them with chants of "Repeat"

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
According to legend a SU bus was late, referees didn't allow for much play in a highly contested game. Thus when the directors exchanged pleasantries around halftime Dr. Greggs (SU) and Mr. Samuel Griffin (Alcorn) decided that after the game was the best time to battle. The game ended and the first selection of the 5th "The Coldest Day of My Life" by the Chi-Lites was played. the opposing band responded in kind and the battle commenced. The legendary HBCU 5th quarter battles were born. (1973)

I was a sophomore in SOD that year. Not only did they blow the hell out of Coldest Day they also sang the hell out of it. LOL

Well, I remember the late Dr. Harold Bray telling us high school students in Fayetteville, NC that the 1st 5th Quarter was during his tenure as drummajor at Grambling in the 1960s. He stated that Southern came to Grambling and wore them out the entire game. The students pleaded with Conrad Hutchinson to allow them to stay after the game to redeem themselves for the fans and SU stayed as well, exchanging songs for a few rounds.

To my knowledge, that Southern vs. Grambling game in the 1960s was the 1st known 5th Quarter.

Griff and Greggs have both stated this game set the trend and led to a continuation of 5th Quarter battles. Stories from both schools match up. I can't argue with it.

Griff and Greggs have both stated this game set the trend and led to a continuation of 5th Quarter battles. Stories from both schools match up. I can't argue with it.
I was there playing mellophone , at that time we were the MBOD, just before the change to SOD

Well, I remember the late Dr. Harold Bray telling us high school students in Fayetteville, NC that the 1st 5th Quarter was during his tenure as drummajor at Grambling in the 1960s. He stated that Southern came to Grambling and wore them out the entire game. The students pleaded with Conrad Hutchinson to allow them to stay after the game to redeem themselves for the fans and SU stayed as well, exchanging songs for a few rounds.

To my knowledge, that Southern vs. Grambling game in the 1960s was the 1st known 5th Quarter.
This sounds right. My High School band director, Ivory Brock, was Dr. Bray's CB at Grambling (and lifelong best friend) and he told us a similar story.

Back