Has society become just too sensitive about football?

Glad you admitted to making up stuff. LOL

So is it ok for a black coach to slap a black player upside the head.

You probably answered that already but I find it difficult to read through your rhetoric.

8, 9, 10 year old

He gets a flag for off-sides, coach calls for him to come out that game, yells at him for jumping off-sides, slaps him upside the head, continue to yell at the 8, 9, 10 year old as the kid walks up and down the side-line.

Yo ass sitting in the stands with your sandals on and shades next to your wife

That's yall son, you posting in here saying this is acceptable?

It's not abuse if you know what the environment is like. This whole discussion is over a head slap with a helmet ON. This isn't a fist to a bare face or getting wacked with a paddle across the bare skin. YES I WENT THERE.

Have you seen what happens to 18 year olds at Parris Island for USMC boot camp?

What about BGLO pledging process (DON'T LIE).

You sign the paperwork, you know what the deal is.

Arguing that we should keep doing idiotic and potentially dangerous things because we've always done idiotic and potentially dangerous things is insanely stupid logic. I'm not sure what type of magical powers you think a helmet has, but slapping someone wearing a helmet is dumb and pointless, not to mention it actually hurts. It's dumb when coaches do it to players, it's dumb when players do it to each other (here's one study detailing why). This is why no one has been able to give a legitimate answer to why coaches don't hit players in the head in the NFL if it's supposedly such a good motivating tactic. We have tons of evidence regarding links of CTE, Alzheimer's disease, and other neurodegenerative conditions with cumulative head trauma, and it doesn't take an especially hard blow to cause brain trauma. We also know that children's brains are far more easily damaged than the adult brain. Football is dangerous enough as it is; doing things to increase that danger with no tangible benefits makes no sense.

I'm not sure what you thought the military example was supposed to prove, but we have evidence of links between military training and concussion risk.

Also, doesn't every BGLO explicitly forbid hazing? So much for that whole instilling discipline and respect for authority thing.

So an open handed barehanded slap from a middle-aged to near elderly man to the helmet of a college athlete causes as much force as a person crashing into another one on the field?

There are so many variables, namely the helmeted players concussion history. If a college athlete can become concussed by a middle aged man barehanded slapping his helmet, then he is in no physical shape to play football.

We’re not talking Pop Warner or high school. We’re talking college.

8, 9, 10 year old

He gets a flag for off-sides, coach calls for him to come out that game, yells at him for jumping off-sides, slaps him upside the head, continue to yell at the 8, 9, 10 year old as the kid walks up and down the side-line.

Yo ass sitting in the stands with your sandals on and shades next to your wife

That's yall son, you posting in here saying this is acceptable?

Won't happen....LOL....my son would never be off sides....LOL....plus I don't wear sandals.

So an open handed barehanded slap from a middle-aged to near elderly man to the helmet of a college athlete causes as much force as a person crashing into another one on the field?

There are so many variables, namely the helmeted players concussion history. If a college athlete can become concussed by a middle aged man barehanded slapping his helmet, then he is in no physical shape to play football.

We’re not talking Pop Warner or high school. We’re talking college.

This is disingenuous, no one has made the argument that it's equally dangerous. You're also well aware that the dangers go beyond concussive hits. It serves zero purpose, and it's not like we haven't seen it result in injury before.

This is disingenuous, no one has made the argument that it's equally dangerous. You're also well aware that the dangers go beyond concussive hits. It serves zero purpose, and it's not like we haven't seen it result in injury before.

Folks in this thread have tried to make false equivalencies in this discussion, ranging from racism to players health.

I’m only went this route because some folks brought up CTE. I think Romo or Bradford showed concussion like symptoms when they got clubbed upside the head by a D-lineman. But that’s the league though.

We still don’t know enough to say for sure that coaches/players barehanded slapping helmets could concuss someone in sports hat require helmets.

Now if one were to argue the social merits, then that’s a separate road to go down.

Folks in this thread have tried to make false equivalencies in this discussion, ranging from racism to players health.

I’m only went this route because some folks brought up CTE. I think Romo or Bradford showed concussion like symptoms when they got clubbed upside the head by a D-lineman. But that’s the league though.

We still don’t know enough to say for sure that coaches/players barehanded slapping helmets could concuss someone in sports hat require helmets.

Now if one were to argue the social merits, then that’s a separate road to go down.
You are ignoring the fact that he is talking about repeated sub-concussive hits playing a role in brain damage.

I have question....is wrong for a coach to curse at a player then? Since slapping a helmet is physical abuse wouldn't profanity be verbal abuse.

Hell why don't we just do away with coaches and play run till you fumble...commonly referred to as Killa man.

For whatever reason, you seem fixated on concussions when we have tons of scientific evidence that concussions are only part of the story. I just find the argument that because football is already dangerous, all those added impacts, which are likely far more numerous than people realize, are inconsequential to be specious given all we know about brain injury and health.

Also, I'm pretty certain clubbing the QB in the head is illegal, so I'm not sure where you're going there.

For whatever reason, you seem fixated on concussions when we have tons of scientific evidence that concussions are only part of the story. I just find the argument that because football is already dangerous, all those added impacts, which are likely far more numerous than people realize, are inconsequential to be specious given all we know about brain injury and health.

Also, I'm pretty certain clubbing the QB in the head is illegal, so I'm not sure where you're going there.

Hey I’m just over here conflating LOL

LOL

Mane, I'm just messing wit you with the sandals breh. LOL

I know...LOL...what most of us are saying is that the slap on the helmet is an attention getter...meaning get your head in the game. Games are NOTHING compared to practice. It goes down in practice.

I have question....is wrong for a coach to curse at a player then? Since slapping a helmet is physical abuse wouldn't profanity be verbal abuse.

Hell why don't we just do away with coaches and play run till you fumble...commonly referred to as Killa man.

It just depends, cursing a player out because of an off-sides, nah, I wouldn't even take it that far. Things aint that deep for an adult to berate a kid for something simple as a missed block.

You've seen coaches take off head-sets and curse kids out, but do we ask ourselves, does this same coach act like this towards his own kids or wife away from the field? Does he go crazy like this on his wife when she forgets to pay the water bill? but he goes off on my kid (who isn't even his) Nah, I don't agree that coaches should be cursing out a kid. You walk away and utter your disappointment to yourself.

Nah man, these are just kids, you can't be hollering down on a kid like that imo, There are ways to address your point without cursing.

Would you curse out your grand-parents or wife or daughters like that when a mistake happens? I'll answer that, Hell no.

So why do it to that black male kid? There's no toughness in that? if so, explain to me how it will benefit him when he's in the real world around crackers

Man we got too much going on that's against us to be doing these antics. Nothing is gained from cursing out a kid for jumping off-sides, You can express your anger as a coach. Hell when an SU lineman jumps off-sides, Do we as fans curse out the kid? NO, we get upset and say something along the lines of him not being focus etc @Founder (with his sandals on) , but we are not sitting in the stands , cursing out the kid because of his mistake.

It's time for us to change the culture on how we use to do things to how we should do things. All this hollering and yelling, jumping on kids for simple mistakes, stuff needs to be cut out. I understand instilling fear and demanding respect, but yelling until you the person yelling dayum near pops a vein in your head isn't always warranted.

Let them cacs do that. We ain't them. We have much bigger problems to face and berating a kid in public ain't helping that kid's mind-set. I'd rather a conversation be had, let it be firm, direct and a sprinkle of encouragement wrapped all in that conversation, it can be all said in a 1-3 minute convo. Tough love, being firm and direct, and the love is the encouraging part so that it's not that deep and I still got your back

Kid jumps off-sides, gives GSU a new set of downs.

Coach:

Come on son, mane we aint need that, we gotta stay focus, you gave up a new set of downs, that hurts us, dayum, but let's re-group and let's go back out there and make a play. Bam that's it. Kid aint down, and he's willing to take his ass back out there and run through a brick wall for you.

All that yelling and throwing down your head-set and sh1t, slapping a kid on his helmet as he comes towards the sideline, nah breh. chill out with that, that aint us.

Personal foul 15 yards added on the end of the run.

Coach:
Man, what the hell you doing, what was the reason for that stupid sht1, (allow the kid to say something, he shruggs his shoulders or gives a dumb reason to why he committed the personal foul) ok, go over there and sit yo ass down and think about a good reason for the act, and we you have one, I'll think about letting you back in the game. we need you in the game making plays, not making costly penalties, you're too good for that. We alright though.
Bam, that's all that's needed to be said.

Talk to that player in a calm tone, J.Prince voice tone lol, No yelling or cursing, just calm so that he can feel your anger. All that yelling, you aint getting in or reaching these kids, that kid is looking in the air and off to the side because he doesn't want to be embarrassed, he on some "f this sht" prolly thinking bout quitting or just on some f this team, you've lost this kid,

But if you're calm and direct, he feels every word, sees every word that you are expressing, big difference.

You gotta know how to talk to kids these days.

Back