Early Predictions for next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have no clue what Southern is going to do. It’s always wait and see for me.

Hal Mumme’s offense is going to be interesting to watch at JSU. It will definitely be a return to that throw-the-ball-deep-every-other-play style JSU fans think is good football. Not sure it will help them win, but it should be interesting to watch.
I think Mumme’s Offense is a lot of short passes.

Yep. That's what the Air Raid pretty much is. They'll lead the SWAC in passing yards but if they don't have a solid running game to go with it, it's gonna be a lot of 3 and outs and put a strain on the defense

Grambling will be at the top of the SWAC next year. Most of the offense and defense is returning. Fobbs have built a winning system at Grambling. Grambling will be very good on defense.

Yep. That's what the Air Raid pretty much is. They'll lead the SWAC in passing yards but if they don't have a solid running game to go with it, it's gonna be a lot of 3 and outs and put a strain on the defense

The key to our success will be finding a QB. JSU and Alabama State are really just a QB away. If Germany had a QB, JSU would have won more games. We literally have to start over at QB. The QB who won 3 out of 4 games for us last year will be back at WR and guys like him, Jordan Johnson and Terrell Kennedy are great in space so they will do well with short passing situations. I think our first string offense is among the best in the conference IF we get a QB Ponder looks good but we need at least one more transfer and a solid HS recruit. I'm not sure how much we can count on our HS recruit from last year.

...and we wont have a running game. The last time we ran the Air Raid, our RBs just caught short passes. We rarely handed it off. The short passing game will be our running game. It's not my preferred offense but I think with the defense we have, they will play even more inspired ball if we can put some points on the board.

Maybe so. I seemed to remember Tim Couch slinging it all over the field at Kentucky. Not just short passes. My memory could be failing me.

I wonder if his offense has evolved. Any new concepts, any ability to adapt to the players he has, or will it just be Air Raid no matter what.

[QUOTE[/QUOTE]

Less we forget, it was the Gsu defense/special teams play that complimented their offense.
Both Fobbs and Broadway place a premium on stout defenses and special teams. With that said, Fobbs and his DC are still at Gsu...
PVAMU.. Dooley’s knowledge of Gsu should make that classic really interesting next year...
IMHO, APB made a great coaching move (2 for 1) and they’ve got the talent to challenge for a Swac title...
Tsu... Enigma? Talent, physical, but can’t win.
SU, we finally get a spring to evaluate and develop young talent and install new offensive/defensive schemes and address Sp-teams concerns..

Maybe so. I seemed to remember Tim Couch slinging it all over the field at Kentucky. Not just short passes. My memory could be failing me.

I wonder if his offense has evolved. Any new concepts, any ability to adapt to the players he has, or will it just be Air Raid no matter what.

It will be short passes. A better version of the offense we ran in 2010 and 2011 under Earnest Wilson. Ground game still average around 100 yards a game

Its not just short passes. The RBs and slots get most of the short passes. The TE get a lot of action too.

Last edited:
Its just just short passes. The RBs and slots get most of the short passes. The TE get a lot of action too.

Yup. Lots of short and intermediate routes. Designed to get skill guys in space and get RAC yards.

That offense historically was used by teams that didn’t have superior athletes.

You guys must have gotten a JC transfer or 1 hell of a freshman recruited or coming. Hate to be so straight forward (ok not really....lol) but that 2nd string QB you all played this year makes Gram offense mediocre at best.

Yeah I ran into a lot of Gram alums who are not sold on the backup either.

You guys must have gotten a JC transfer or 1 hell of a freshman recruited or coming. Hate to be so straight forward (ok not really....lol) but that 2nd string QB you all played this year makes Gram offense mediocre at best.

Very mediocre. When Kincade was knocked out of the game at Valley, it was a very noticeable drop off. Kincade wasn't the most accurate QB either but the backup wasn't good

Last edited:
The backup QB was a RS freshman and was still very young. I believe he was a 2 star QB out of HS. This offseason will show how much he has came. He had the talent coming out of high school and I think it’s to early to rule him out. He was a young player last year and if he or anyone who plays QB for us is half way decent then we will have another great season and be back at the Celebration Bowl.

Last edited:

That is the same thing people said about Bruce Eugene. Bruce didn't look good at all coming into the game off the bench. People was saying "who is that fat QB, why is he play". Players tend to perform much better coming into the season as the starter. Grambling will be good at QB. He will be playing around a much improved o-line. Grambling will win the SWAC again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back