Don't forget to watch CNN's special "Black In America" tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deuce, my 10-year-old daughter caught that, too. She asked, "How is it HIS fault that man with no face (lol) wouldn't give him a job?"

A lot of those problems don't exist in my community. I didn't grown up around 3/4 of the depressing stuff they were showing.

So if I was a white person living in Iowa with limited exposure to black people, I would think that the majority of blacks live this way. One thing they failed to mention was accountability. No one forced the woman to have 5 kids out of wedlock. No one told these people not to go to college to further their education. But they had plenty of excuses of why their plight was so bad.

We need more shows focusing on the positve things in our community. Maybe some of these lazy deadbeat drug addicted baby having aids-spreading minimum wage job making interracial marrying low self esteem having black people can be motivated to improve their situations. T.D. Jakes or Al Sharpton isn't going to make it better. The individual has to get off of their ass and make it better
!!!!

COSIGN! You speak the truth!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Vinita said:
Deuce, my 10-year-old daughter caught that, too. She asked, "How is it HIS fault that man with no face (lol) wouldn't give him a job?"

:lol: :tup:

I think this particular documentary is revealing to a bunch of people is because for so long we have limited ourselves socially. I do not know if I am the only person who feels this way,but to me it seems like this country is more divided than ever. It is the blacks over here, the whites on the other side and the hispanics in the middle.

We by nature hang with our own and that is why people still have these stereotypes about the different races. I hear a lot of talk these days about being real, but we are all fake to some degree because we are afraid to get out of our comfort zones.
The job I have allows me the chance to meet and talk to people from all walks of life, and I have come to the conclusion that we are all the same. We might live in different hoods, have different jobs, go to differnt churches and are in different tax brackets, but at the very core of our human existence we are all the same. And once everyone person on this planet stop with this seperatist attitude, there will no longer be a need for CNN documentaries.

The second we step out that comfort zone and hang with white folks our own people will call us a sellout. I agree with your response 100%

See that right there is the problem. :lol: 80% of the folks who move there just like you move to Metro Atlanta not the inner city. Growing up in the zones 1-6 is totally different then growing up in Cobb county or Gwinnett. Please don't confuse the two. Do I need to educate on why the Red Dogs were created? Why Dekalb county created the Black CATS force? :lol: Also what you see now is not the Atl of the 80's okay. There are no projects left in the city okay. They put them all in Clayton that's why it is so ruff now. :emlaugh: You can say what you want, but growing up in an environment of of a major city is totally different from growing up in the rural town. That's just like growing up on Bankhead is ruff, but growing up on the Southside of Chicago is worst. Get my point? :pimp:

:bowdown:
Try growing up in New Orleans when it first became the Murder Capitol. I saw enough hsit happen just trying to get to and from school on daily basis no child you ever see.

I am going to share my version of Black in America. I missed the first episode but I caught the Black Man episode.

Since we are talking about black in America can you imagine the frustration that I am having be watching the show with my African friend. She was born in this country, Kentucky but segregated by her people from the blacks that built the USA. This woman is constantly telling about flaws of blacks in this country, I like chatting with her because we both enjoy watching the Fox News Channel (Oreily and Hannity). But she doesn't understand how much grief that blacks from slaves until today have to put up with. I've tried explaining the struggle to her, I have shown her some books about civil rights, lynchings, etc and she still thinks she knows everything blacks. Our conversations have gotten to a point to where I have told her that she doesn't talk to me she talks at me. When she asked what I meant, I reminded her that she respsonds as if she can't doesn't comprehend anything that I say and she tried to tell me what I mean.

Did I meantion that she works for Dallas CPS and I believe that her mind is already predetermined as far as the plight of blacks in the USA. Since she always comments on minorities having kids and can't afford them.

I am thinking about letting her view two movies 'Panther' and 'Birth of a Nation.' I have shown her 'Hip Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhymes' I wanted her to watch the de-evolution of rap, somewhere where she became confused.

I know that I digressed but I am sharing my version of black in America.

I have a new respect for Michael Dyson, he comment was on point when he said that he got over because he is light skinned and his brother came of short because is was of a darker color.

They should have interviewed Kenn. He's a prime example of a black man building a place where other successful black people can share, debate, argue, make up, and build together. No one on here is on crack(that I know of), or dealing with those stereotypical issues that they're mainly focusing on. We may have come from some desolate places, but we're all trying to carve a niche out for ourselves.

I guess it was just me but the second episode of this series showed too many failure with the black man! For every gain was turned with a failure and to me it made black men look worthless with the exception of the Dyson situation. I'm thankful for the show over-all but for me it supported stereo-type america already has about black men! I know Mr. Warren for a few years now and his story could've been more defined!

That's just my opinion!!!!

Not just your opinion. I agree with you 100%.

That show lived down to the exspections that I set for it.

The brother showing up late for his kids birthday party, then it turns out that he has another kid. On the flip side, the baby moma knocked up by another man.

I'm like damn!!!!

Did you guys watch tonight. The phillips dude is a trip. That's all I'm gone say. I mean the dude said we have gone asconce(????????). He lives in another world. Some good points but he is misguided too.

Phillips was on the Cosby show and Generald Hospital for those who didn't watch the show.

I agree that he did make some good points but I he may not really understand some of the issues that some poor black have to endure.

I guess it was just me but the second episode of this series showed too many failure with the black man! For every gain was turned with a failure and to me it made black men look worthless with the exception of the Dyson situation. I'm thankful for the show over-all but for me it supported stereo-type america already has about black men! I know Mr. Warren for a few years now and his story could've been more defined!

That's just my opinion!!!!

It's called balance from a media's perspective. They did show both good and bad. When you saw a bad story, they came with the positives. When you saw the positives, they came with the negatives.

I think they showed more positives than negatives. The Warren family have successful black men. And even the man who once robbed a bank and was on crack turned his life around and reaching back into the communities. Even the brother who was having a hard time finding a job was somewhat positive. He wasn't just sitting on his butt, like what some Americans think. He's was out there, in his suit, hitting that employment pavement.

I think some of ya'll men are being too sensitive and not looking at the bigger picture, because your egos are bruised of CNN showing some real life pictures of our people- just my opinion. I think they did a better job last night than the first special on black women and families.

Ya'll keep talking about the special makes us look bad or America doesn't need a special to see what's going on in our communities. But it's not entirely the media's fault on their portrayal of us when we keep giving them what they see some of us as. We'll never move ahead as a people until we first own up to the problems that are hurting us now. You can't address a problem, if you don't first recognize that there is one.

We keep critiquing the media and how they portray us; let's flip that critique on OURSELVES!

It's called balance from a media's perspective. They did show both good and bad. When you saw a bad story, they came with the positives. When you saw the positives, they came with the negatives.

I think they showed more positives than negatives. The Warren family have successful black men. And even the man who once robbed a bank and was on crack turned his life around and reaching back into the communities. Even the brother who was having a hard time finding a job was somewhat positive. He wasn't just sitting on his butt, like what some Americans think. He's was out there, in his suit, hitting that employment pavement.

I think some of ya'll men are being too sensitive and not looking at the bigger picture, because your egos are bruised of CNN showing some real life pictures of our people- just my opinion. I think they did a better job last night than the first special on black women and families.

Ya'll keep talking about the special makes us look bad or America doesn't need a special to see what's going on in our communities. But it's not entirely the media's fault on their portrayal of us when we keep giving them what they see some of us as. We'll never move ahead as a people until we first own up to the problems that are hurting us now. You can't address a problem, if you don't first recognize that there is one.

We keep critiquing the media and how they portray us; let's flip that critique on OURSELVES!

I agree with this 100% we never want to acknowledge the problems. WE never want to see or hear the truth.

Speak!!! You are so correct.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
See here is another problem. All black folks don't think a like and will never think a like. Just because I have a different view than you doesn't mean it's wrong. White folks have us thinking that we all should share the same views. We are from from different walks of life. Therefore we see things different from one another. That doesn't mean it is wrong or right. Just our up bringing gave us different views. Just like you have never saw crack smoked, made or shot up and I have wouldn't make me think your view is wrong get it? :idea: What you see as excuses, I see as folks trying to survive. I doen't agree with brothers on the block slinging dope, but guess what I can sometimes see why they end up there. I have been there so I speak only from what I know.

See here is another problem. All black folks don't think a like and will never think a like. Just because I have a different view than you doesn't mean it's wrong. White folks have us thinking that we all should share the same views. We are from from different walks of life. Therefore we see things different from one another. That doesn't mean it is wrong or right. Just our up bringing gave us different views. Just like you have never saw crack smoked, made or shot up and I have wouldn't make me think your view is wrong get it? :idea: What you see as excuses, I see as folks trying to survive. I doen't agree with brothers on the block slinging dope, but guess what I can sometimes see why they end up there. I have been there so I speak only from what I know.

Well said Cee. I said something similar earlier. Folks always trying to lump all of us together. I get so tired of that crap.

Well said Cee. I said something similar earlier. Folks always trying to lump all of us together. I get so tired of that crap.

I watched the show and I dont see where they tried to lump us all together. They showed the guy who wasn't your stereotypical black guy, the guy who was your sterotypical black guy, they showed the rappers that used the profanity, they showed the rappers who don't use the profanity talked about the issues our community has with the educational system, AIDS, ect, ect.

That seems pretty diverse to me. I get tired of look at percentages and seeing that over 67% of female AIDS cases are African American females, I get tired of seeing that only 50% of black males graduate from High School, I get tired of seeing the ridiculous amount of African Americans getting locked up everyday, or shot, or killed. Down the street from my house 2 weeks ago a guy I grew up with was killed in a drive by shooting and that was 3-4 case like that in less than 2 months.

I'm not a part of negative Black America, but it does affect me, you, our families, friends, and every other black person. Until we acknowledge the problem we'll never have a solution!!!!

I don't think its about us having to share the same views..but more of having a similar cause. Malcom X and MLK had two different views (and two different backgrounds/lifestyles) but they both had a similar cause. We do simple things that destroy our whole community but still find away to put the blame on someone else. A black man selling crack in his neighborhood is destroying his black community. He is supplying a drug to another black which will end up killing them and taking their money. He is bringing violence into the community due to killings that will follow over money and turf. He is overpopulating the jail with more blacks after he gets caught. He is showing the younger ones that this is the way to get it, who soon follow in their footsteps and repeat the cycle. And thats just one situation. (I'm just stating a realistic example, don't come at my head lol)

I lived in both the urban environment and the suburban environment. Of course the urban will be "rougher" than the suburban or rural environment, but the same problems still exist just in different amounts. So if thats the case..no matter where you go...we can't escape the circumstances. So the views will be different..but the cause is still the same.

We are our own worst enemy. We are quick to knock the "white man" but can't even hold each other down. We beef over skin complexion, where you was raised, who is real or not, etc etc.

When we try to educate each other, nobody wants to listen.

We want to yell racist cops, but nobody wants to ask why do our young black men love going to jail? Is the free man love or the fact they don't want to grow up and WORK?

I'm in the schools and the main kids acting up and going to YAC/ISS are black males. And what is worst these black kids act a fool and it's the black adminstrators LETTING them do it. Gambling, plotting to kill folk, plotting to jump folk, drug dealing, booty calls and making death threats. Yet when the hispanics and whites try any of that, it's 911 time. So when these kids end up dead in the street or locked up-we yell racism. Black kids aren't learning right from wrong from who else black folk!

Did I meantion that she works for Dallas CPS and I believe that her mind is already predetermined as far as the plight of blacks in the USA. Since she always comments on minorities having kids and can't afford them.

It's not about affording them. For many if they can't get a government check for those kids, they don't care. One of my friends has a friend that works in welfare and some of the stories that guy has. How are you going to show up at the office screaming for a check for a baby still covered in BLOOD. Just gave birth to it.

:lol:

Now that's really funny. :lol:

It took CNN three dayum years to produce this mess?

Give me a three-piece box of Churchs Chicken, a camcorder and a few Coronas, and I could have done this crap in an afternoon. :smh:

Right. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yep. Can't stand that bullsh*t. Like we all walk down the street singing kum-bah-yahhh as one or something. :retard:

Well you know I don't feel the same way as some of the brothas on here. I watch both shows and both were excellent. The theme really in both documentaries were about choices. CNN intent was not to portray Black men and women in a negative light but really to show the sides where some made bad choices and good choices.

Like Dr.Dyson and his brother: Dr. Dyson decided to further his education and his brother made a choice to sell drugs; Dr.Warren of Little Rock decided to that he wanted to be in the education system and his fellow class mate decided to rob a small "one-horse town's" bank. But later he decided that to make a difference in a life and show younger brothas that they don't have to make that choice.CNN's Black In America series theme was about choices and accountability.

CNN's Black In America series theme was about choices and accountability.
That is what it comes down to. Choices and accountability. It's just that we don't want to hold our young black men accountability for their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back