Don't forget to watch CNN's special "Black In America" tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
This show has been negative and depressing so far. They're only focusing on perpetuated stereotypes and the negative social ills of our community.

There's an entire different side to the black experience that hasn't even been mentioned.

Single mother this....inter-racial dating that....incarcerated brothers this....HIV positive black people that...uneducated black people this....

I'm turning this crap off now.

This show has been negative and depressing so far. They're only focusing on perpetuated stereotypes and the negative social ills of our community.

There's an entire different side to the black experience that hasn't even been mentioned.

Single mother this....inter-racial dating that....incarcerated brothers this....HIV positive black people that...uneducated black people this....

I agree with what you're saying but these are issues that are plaguing our community. We have to talk about these issues to hopefully come up with some solution. We have to put some type of action/plan together to change the negative. I know we as blacks have talked about these types of issues for year and have not done anything. We just have stop talking and do!

So far the show has ben interresting but mostly a repeat of the panel discussion that was shown prior to this show. I agree that they need to show the good and the bad, but I knew the issues would get more coverage than the impactful stories. It is still TV, and we all know that drama sells more than good news.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Although I hated the name, the Marry Your Baby Daddy program is a good one.

The black chic in ATL seemed like she married the white dude, just to get married. The issues about their kids I can truly relate to.

The chic that wrote "Something New" was irritating.

I have a serious question about this issue. Why are we so interested this program? I mean, we know what it is like to be black in this country. We know about the struggling family to the affluent family. We know about the kids who get college degrees and those that choose a life of crime. We know about the single mom with multiple children to a household with both parents.

We already know everything that was said and will be said in this program before it even airs because we are living those experiences every day. I mean, it is not like CNN is showing us this mysterious life of the American lifestyle. Maybe I'm missing something, but I am really not sure what the purpose of this program is.

I saw it and found it quite interesting as well as quite frustrating at times.

The lady with the five kids allowed herself to get into that situation.

At some point in his life, the man who has to move around allowed himself to get to that situation.

The brother from Harvard has an interesting experiment. I don't see it lasting long but it shows those kids are capable.

That screenwriter black woman from LA is just plain picky. It has nothing to do with her not finding a mate.

I also look forward to tonight's show.

At some point in his life, the man who has to move around allowed himself to get to that situation.

The brother from Harvard has an interesting experiment. I don't see it lasting long but it shows those kids are capable.

That screenwriter black woman from LA is just plain picky. It has nothing to do with her not finding a mate.

I also look forward to tonight's show.

Me to! I want to see the black male perspective. As black men we know how it is in society.

I was hoping to see more positives than negatives. I wanted more about the doctor in Baltimore that tries to turn around the lives of shooting victims. More on the guy that goes and tries to encourage young men to get back in school and get their diploma. I think the Marry your baby daddy program is a good one, I just don't like the name.

The chic that wrote "Something New" was irritating.

Yeah, she was. :lol: I can see why she's still single.

Nonetheless, I think the show has been pretty balanced. Of course, it seems they have highlighted more negatives, but guess???? :idea: It's the reality we're in right now.
They did highlight some positives with showing the family reunions, the one Rand family with the children who are ALL getting college educations (I'm hating a little that none of those kids didn't go to any HBCUs) and how the parents are owners of a construction business. And they showed that black women are owning more businesses, that 45% of black women are un-married (compared to only 25% white women) and that 70% of black women are single mothers (WOW! :smh:) , which is true! So in the regard, the show has been really balanced and shared some ugly truths. I mean look around! Those stats definitely paint some truth from what I see with my own eyes everyday!

They have clearly been working on this special for 3 years or so. Did anyone notice that that family reunion was from 2005? So, they've been following these families and individuals for quite some time. That's GOOD news reporting! And then when they covered one person, they went back and caught up with them for another interview update, such as the elderly lady from New York who was having health issues! GOOD Reporting!

I'm looking forward to seeing tonight's show on our black men!

So my hats go off to Soledad and the CNN team!

I have a serious question about this issue. Why are we so interested this program? I mean, we know what it is like to be black in this country. We know about the struggling family to the affluent family. We know about the kids who get college degrees and those that choose a life of crime. We know about the single mom with multiple children to a household with both parents.

We already know everything that was said and will be said in this program before it even airs because we are living those experiences every day. I mean, it is not like CNN is showing us this mysterious life of the American lifestyle. Maybe I'm missing something, but I am really not sure what the purpose of this program is.

I agree with this statement 200%

It amazed me how black folks were sending e-mails all over the country like we were about to be told something we didn't already know.

I though the show pretty much was a joke, and an insult. And why did they need the brother practically rappin' and rhymin' before each segment?

I didn't care for CNN much before this show, and I care even less about them now. :smh:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

But isn't that the reality in our communities?????? Hell yeah! It's the ugly truth!

MACKG said:

Again . . . I agree 200%

If something else even remotely interesting was on TV, I wouldn't have watched beyond the first ten minutes of this mess.

And when did Soledad O'Brien become the conscious of Black America? :smh:

THANK YOU! My sentiments exactly. Shid, where the White/Asian/Hispanic in America shows? Why was it necessary to make the damn show in the first place. Yeah, I'm irritated about it.

Ya'll are a trip. :smh:

Yeah, we (as blacks) KNOW what it's like to be "Black in America." But guess what? That show wasn't just for our people; that show was for OTHER RACES to see what it's like in our community. Because many don't know. Yeah, it painted some ugly truths. But it also highlighted some really positive ones, too---- ones that I think OTHER RACES NEED to see! To see, we ain't just thugs and hoes but that we do have some educated people and we do believe in FAMILY! And that our social and economic conditions are not the same as some white middle class lives, and that we don't have quick access to certain things (better foods) that others are afforded to.

THANK YOU! My sentiments exactly. Shid, where the White/Asian/Hispanic in America shows? Why was it necessary to make the damn show in the first place. Yeah, I'm irritated about it.

It could be in the works, possibly. Goodness ya'll. :smh: It took them 3+ years just to do this special.

Yeah, we (as blacks) KNOW what it's like to be "Black in America." But guess what? That show wasn't just for our people; that show was for OTHER RACES to see what it's like in our community. Because many don't know. Yeah, it painted some ugly truths. But it also highlighted some really positive ones, too---- ones that I think OTHER RACES NEED to see! To see, we ain't just thugs and hoes but that we do have some educated people and we do believe in FAMILY! And that our social and economic conditions are not the same as some white middle class lives, and that we don't have quick access to certain things (better foods) that others are afforded to.

Tell em Crit! They don't see the bigger picture!

CriTAUcal said:

Crit,

White Folk, and Asian Folk, and Hispanic Folk know more about us and our condition than a lot of us do. We don't need no friggin' four hour "special" over two nights to "enlighten" other people about the bad, or the good in our community.

CriTAUcal said:
It took them 3+ years just to do this special.

:lol:

Now that's really funny. :lol:

It took CNN three dayum years to produce this mess?

Give me a three-piece box of Churchs Chicken, a camcorder and a few Coronas, and I could have done this crap in an afternoon. :smh:

:lol:

Now that's really funny. :lol:

It took CNN three dayum years to produce this mess?

Give me a three-piece box of Churchs Chicken, a camcorder and a few Coronas, and I could have done this crap in an afternoon. :smh:

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back