Don't forget to watch CNN's special "Black In America" tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe because you guys grew up rural areas so this is new to you all. Everyone who watched it with me felt the same way. It skipped around a bunch of stuff. It could have been better.

Cee, please! :rolleyes: Just because I grew up in the Mississippi Delta doesn't mean I wasn't exposed. So save that mess you're talking. Stop thinking Atlanta is some mega urban city, please. :lol: The little bit of "urban" Atlanta has now didn't exist until some years back. And even now, Atlanta still has a "small town" feel. Why do you think people move here: slower pace compared to east/west coast, lower cost of living but still has some "urban" benefits.

And some of ya'll are just seeing what you want to see. Poor black people weren't the ones they covered on last night. Did we NOT see a successful black family with a construction and kids who are ALL in college? Did we not see a successful screen writer from California???? Did Soledad not interview an articulate, educated, black Harvard professor????

All ya'll want to focus on was the negative things that were also TRUTHS! And if you say that what was shown didn't paint some ugly truths, you're lying to yourself! Because ALL of us know some SINGLE mothers with 3 or more kids! ALL of us know or have family members who are struggling in the inner city! ALL of us know someone either family or neighbor who is black and dropped out of high school.

So ya'll keep acting like these things don't exist, and we'll CONTINUE to stay in the pathetic state we're in! :smh: :tdown:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Cee, please! :rolleyes: Just because I grew up in the Mississippi Delta doesn't mean I wasn't exposed. So save that mess you're talking. Stop thinking Atlanta is some mega urban city, please. :lol: The little bit of "urban" Atlanta has now didn't exist until some years back. And even now, Atlanta still has a "small town" feel. Why do you think people move here: slower pace compared to east/west coast, lower cost of living but still has some "urban" benefits.

And some of ya'll are just seeing what you want to see. Poor black people weren't the ones they covered on last night. Did we NOT see a successful black family with a construction and kids who are ALL in college? Did we not see a successful screen writer from California???? Did Soledad not interview an articulate, educated, black Harvard professor????

All ya'll want to focus on was the negative things that were also TRUTHS! And if you say that what was shown didn't paint some ugly truths, you're lying to yourself! Because ALL of us know some SINGLE mothers with 3 or more kids! ALL of us know or have family members who are struggling in the inner city! ALL of us know someone either family or neighbor who is black and dropped out of high school.

So ya'll keep acting like these things don't exist, and we'll CONTINUE to stay in the pathetic state we're in! :smh: :tdown:

See that right there is the problem. :lol: 80% of the folks who move there just like you move to Metro Atlanta not the inner city. Growing up in the zones 1-6 is totally different then growing up in Cobb county or Gwinnett. Please don't confuse the two. Do I need to educate on why the Red Dogs were created? Why Dekalb county created the Black CATS force? :lol: Also what you see now is not the Atl of the 80's okay. There are no projects left in the city okay. They put them all in Clayton that's why it is so ruff now. :emlaugh: You can say what you want, but growing up in an environment of of a major city is totally different from growing up in the rural town. That's just like growing up on Bankhead is ruff, but growing up on the Southside of Chicago is worst. Get my point? :pimp:

Did you guys watch tonight. The phillips dude is a trip. That's all I'm gone say. I mean the dude said we have gone asconce(????????). He lives in another world. Some good points but he is misguided too.

Phillips was on the Cosby show and Generald Hospital for those who didn't watch the show.

See that right there is the problem. :lol: 80% of the folks who move there just like you move to Metro Atlanta not the inner city. Growing up in the zones 1-6 is totally different then growing up in Cobb county or Gwinnett. Please don't confuse the two. Do I need to educate on why the Red Dogs were created? Why Dekalb county created the Black CATS force? :lol: Also what you see now is not the Atl of the 80's okay. There are no projects left in the city okay. They put them all in Clayton that's why it is so ruff now. :emlaugh: You can say what you want, but growing up in an environment of of a major city is totally different from growing up in the rural town. That's just like growing up on Bankhead is ruff, but growing up on the Southside of Chicago is worst. Get my point? :pimp:

But it's still in America whether it's rural or urban. Having no food on your table in a rural town is the same as having no food on your table in urban area. A bullet shot at you in Yazoo City,Mississippi will kill you just like a bullet shot on the south side Chicago will. Different context but it's the same content.

Anyway I enjoyed the documentary.

Did you guys watch tonight. The phillips dude is a trip. That's all I'm gone say. I mean the dude said we have gone asconce(????????). He lives in another world. Some good points but he is misguided too.

Phillips was on the Cosby show and Generald Hospital for those who didn't watch the show.

That dude is a young Clarence Thomas. :lol:

But it's still in America whether it's rural or urban. Having no food on your table in a rural town is the same as having no food on your table in urban area. A bullet shot at you in Yazoo City,Mississippi will kill you just like a bullet shot on the south side Chicago will. Different context but it's the same content.
Anyway I enjoyed the documentary.

I understand what you are saying, but the mental thinking is totally different. Where you might have 3 out 10 crazy bullets being shot at you in Yazoo, you will have 9 out of 10 every hour in Chi. Get it? You all can say what you want, but you think differently if you grow up in rural USA versus Urban USA. The thought of surviving is on a different level. Please believe that. All though those northerners come come here talking trash, much of what they say is true. The fast pace of the big city is and will always be different than rural USA.

I understand what you are saying, but the mental thinking is totally different. Where you might have 3 out 10 crazy bullets being shot at you in Yazoo, you will have 9 out of 10 every hour in Chi. Get it? You all can say what you want, but you think differently if you grow up in rural USA versus Urban USA. The thought of surviving is on a different level. Please believe that. All though those northerners come come here talking trash, much of what they say is true. The fast pace of the big city is and will always be different than rural USA.

Yeah it's true. I remember growing up as a kid in NE Washington.D.C. I had to fight every single day..but then I come to Pine Bluff the fights dwindled to at least 1 to every six months to a year. lol. More people more chances to fight. In a larger city you have more people trying to run a hustle just to put food on the table,hustles sometimes take advantage of people,people get pissed off,then people retaliate.Which leads to a cycle of violence in large cities.

:topic:
Soledad have some nice legs. :ebrow:

Yeah it's true. I remember growing up as a kid in NE Washington.D.C. I had to fight every single day..but then I come to Pine Bluff the fights dwindled to at least 1 to every six months to a year. lol. More people more chances to fight. In a larger city you have more people trying to run a hustle just to put food on the table,hustles sometimes take advantage of people,people get pissed off,then people retaliate.Which leads to a cycle of violence in large cities.

I am in love with that woman. She is tight. :ebrow: By the way is she black or should I say got some black in her? :lol:

In a larger city you have more people trying to run a hustle just to put food on the table,hustles sometimes take advantage of people,people get pissed off,then people retaliate.Which leads to a cycle of violence in large cities.

You have the dummies that want to fight for the heck of it. Explain to me how you were get into a fight with kids from another school because a kid you HATED was flashing gang signs of his hood (that KATRINA wiped out). A fight breaks out and he runs off and you stay there. Get your behind kick-not once, twice, three times but four straight times. And get put in the hospital.

Then the big one that some how the media didn't report.
Kids from Pleasant Grove got CHASED down the street and into stores by another set of kids (Oak Cliff). The reason??? The Oak Cliff school lost a track meet to a school in the Grove. So the kids from Oak Cliff, who didn't go to the track meet, along with dropouts from that school declared war on Pleasant Grove. They were shooting at kids that didn't even go to the school that won the meet. One barber shop had so many bullet holes in it that it was amazing nobody was killed. Traffic was held up for an hour!

And these were guys! Girls are WORST. Never seen girls fight over who's the biggest slut in the hood or who is going to give up to same boy first or whose hair has more horse in it.

Where is Don King when you need him?

I missed last night's show but got a review of the complaints. (Actually, this is the first one that I saw.) I thought that tonight's show was all right. But would have done more to eliminate some of the stereotypes that others have of Blacks. For example CNN did put up the statistic that 70% of those who use crack cocaine are White and Hispanic, but 80% of those who go to jail for crack cocaine are Black. In other words more Whites are involved in illegal drugs, but more Blacks are going to prison because of them. It is not news. I would have liked to see CNN go deeper why this is so. Then everyone would have a better understanding why many Black people have a serious distrust of the criminal justice system.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I am in love with that woman. She is tight. :ebrow: By the way is she black or should I say got some black in her? :lol:

She's Latina. On the Steve Harvey Show a couple of days ago and they gave her part to play and she spoke in her Latino accent. My stuff got on hard in a nanosecond when she spoke "oh popi, popi, mio..mio" LOL MAN IF I HAD KNOWn HER AZZ WAS IN LITTLE ROCK.......Dayum. :flippy:

Note to self:
Check out the re-run of tonight's program. It is mandatory

She's Latina. On the Steve Harvey Show a couple of days ago and they gave her part to play and she spoke in her Latino accent. My stuff got on hard in a nanosecond when she spoke "oh popi, popi, mio..mio" LOL MAN IF I HAD KNOWn HER AZZ WAS IN LITTLE ROCK.......Dayum. :flippy:

Quiero realmente a mujeres que hablan en acentos latinos! Demasiado malo ella es tomada y tiene a ni?os.

Biography for Soledad O'Brien

Birth Name
Maria de la Soledad Teresa O'Brien

Her mother Estella is a black high school teacher from Cuba and her father Edward is a white Australian of Irish descent and is a mechanical engineer. She has been honored by African-American, Hispanic-American ,and Irish-American groups for her contributions to journalism. Studied at Smithtown High School East in St. James, N.Y., and went to Harvard but dropped out at age 21 to become a newswriter and producer at Boston's WBZ-TV.

Her name means "the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude" in Spanish.

I missed last night's show but got a review of the complaints. (Actually, this is the first one that I saw.) I thought that tonight's show was all right. But would have done more to eliminate some of the stereotypes that others have of Blacks. For example CNN did put up the statistic that 70% of those who use crack cocaine are White and Hispanic, but 80% of those who go to jail for crack cocaine are Black. In other words more Whites are involved in illegal drugs, but more Blacks are going to prison because of them. It is not news. I would have liked to see CNN go deeper why this is so. Then everyone would have a better understanding why many Black people have a serious distrust of the criminal justice system.

That's what I'm talking about right there.

Here's a quick little example with what I had a problem with about this series.

On last night's show they showed the brother in New York who was a single dad, raising his kids, who had never been to jail, was not on drugs, was not selling drugs, was not a thug, yet he couldn't buy a job. He could not get a call-back from practically any job he applied for, and when he showed up in person the manager of the store nearly swallowed his tongue trying to lie his way out of giving him the interview that the internet website promised.

Yet, this scene was presented more as an example of what's wrong with BLACK MEN, as it was what's wrong with a racist, discriminatory system that casts aside men who are perfectly qualified for jobs and other considerations based soley on the color of their skin.

And that is my major problem with this series. That's just one example, but there are other.

I'm through with it folks. Yall have a nice day, and a great weekend. :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back