Celebration Bowl Payout Scheme

Well at A&T, Band travel parties and Marching Blocks tend to get bigger for certain events (GHOE, Atlanta Football Classic, Honda, etc...). I would suspect that a possible CB appearance would be no different. I also suspect that A&T isn't the only band that does this, although attrition does play into this just like any other band.

Also, are we counting just the core of the band (instrumentalists) or are we including the drumlins and Auxiliary Groups in that 220 number?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Well at A&T, Band travel parties and Marching Blocks tend to get bigger for certain events (GHOE, Atlanta Football Classic, Honda, etc...). I would suspect that a possible CB appearance would be no different. I also suspect that A&T isn't the only band that does this, although attrition does play into this just like any other band.

Also, are we counting just the core of the band (instrumentalists) or are we including the drumlins and Auxiliary Groups in that 220 number?
Of course the drumline is included in the numbers, they are instrumentalists too, just on drums. SU's band and dance team would be about 205 people. We already do the 3-4 members to a room thing so it wouldn't be too much added expense for those 5 people over the 200 threshold. I can see BCU and Jackson State having to really foot some large bills cause both bands have well over 250 in their bands.

Of course the drumline is included in the numbers, they are instrumentalists too, just on drums. SU's band and dance team would be about 205 people. We already do the 3-4 members to a room thing so it wouldn't be too much added expense for those 5 people over the 200 threshold. I can see BCU and Jackson State having to really foot some large bills cause both bands have well over 250 in their bands.

To pay for 50 extra people would be worth it.....

Most SWAC bands are 220 at most. By the end of the year I'd be surprised if there were 160 people on the field. Bands start big and get small. 4 to a room a bus trip and Golden Corral is the standard method of operation.

Well, ESPN would be happy if we made it to the CB, Lee has the Ocean around 150. :(

HBCU's and these huge band budgets. It makes no sense. I believe South Carolina State was pushing closed to 300 members one time. Although it was unfortunate incident that reduced FAMU's band size, I bet FAMU's administration is glad that its band is much smaller now.

Hey Kaver, Welcome to the board.... how does it feel to spend all of that money on Brian Jenkins only to learn he is an abusive cheater who probably will be no better than 3rd or 4th in the EAST which means ASU will never see the SCG or Celebration Bowl?
Thanks for the warm welcome TP. Regarding your question, I can't explain that feeling, cause I've never had it. I think the salary is in line with what his documented success warrants. It's incentive based which allows for both he and the university to win as he is successful. Has nice a buyout clause to protect coach and the university. I have been a Hornet fan for about 20 years, so I know what it's like to finish 4th, but I have to go back a few years to recollect that memory. Not many true football types on here would wager that the Hornets would finish 3rd or 4th in the division, I expect that we just made the program much better with this hire and Barlow left us in a pretty strong position already. Abusive cheater? You must know more than I do regarding the situation. I'm gonna support coach unless I find out some reason not to. But, I can say, I look forward to abusing those Jackson State Tigers this year.

Thanks for the warm welcome TP. Regarding your question, I can't explain that feeling, cause I've never had it. I think the salary is in line with what his documented success warrants. It's incentive based which allows for both he and the university to win as he is successful. Has nice a buyout clause to protect coach and the university. I have been a Hornet fan for about 20 years, so I know what it's like to finish 4th, but I have to go back a few years to recollect that memory. Not many true football types on here would wager that the Hornets would finish 3rd or 4th in the division, I expect that we just made the program much better with this hire and Barlow left us in a pretty strong position already. Abusive cheater? You must know more than I do regarding the situation. I'm gonna support coach unless I find out some reason not to. But, I can say, I look forward to abusing those Jackson State Tigers this year.

Well, lets see how ole Jenkins does when he can't have 2 AM practice... and u are right. You prob won't finish 4th. 3rd sounds more like it.

:smh: ............... Another HBCU bowl.
We need more of them just like the White schools have 100 percent all White bowls even though they don't call it that but it is what it is. All one has to do is look at the participating schools.
How many Black conferences have their own post season bowl game? Zero.
We have ONE bowl for ourselves and folks have a fit. I still don't understand what that's all about. They can have their own but we can't?

We need more of them just like the White schools have 100 percent all White bowls even though they don't call it that but it is what it is. All one has to do is look at the participating schools.
How many Black conferences have their own post season bowl game? Zero.
We have ONE bowl for ourselves and folks have a fit. I still don't understand what that's all about. They can have their own but we can't?

It will be two if the pioneer bowl came back.... but this is what we need. I agree. We are catering to our niche audience.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
How many FCS conferences have their own post season bowl game? Zero.

Fixed it.

The SWAC schools would rather make money to help keep our doors open but that other "black" conference and some on here would rather us be like SCSU in risk getting closed down trying to be like "them" when they can't afford it.

I know this much...

The SWAC Champion better beat the MEAC Champion's ass more than times than they beat you. We cannot continue to talk crap about the MEAC but get beat on the field. It cannot happen.

HBCU's and these huge band budgets. It makes no sense. I believe South Carolina State was pushing closed to 300 members one time. Although it was unfortunate incident that reduced FAMU's band size, I bet FAMU's administration is glad that its band is much smaller now.

Shoot, I wished we had half the budget some of the other HBCU bands have. We do way more with less at SU.Some of those other bands should be ashamed of themselves. lol

Now I do know that our bands help out the budget a bit by doing Battle of the Bands and other paid performances, fundraisers, and alumni donations.(JSU's band received a $500,000 donation not too long ago) So it's probably not that much of a drain on the school's budget like you think.

could this bowl be a gateway for bowls in FCS? with playoff shifting from FCS and into FBS, could the bowl formula start to shift into FCS?

No, they don't have the fans or the interest.

Believe it or not, African Americans enjoy BCF so we have a niche audience. Even if its for the bands and the outfits....LOL
No one cares about the 1-AA playoffs because they have no niche audience. I am willing to bet you that MOST of the kids at Jacksonville State and Samford, etc... have family ties to Auburn, Alabama, etc... That comes first to them. To most African Americans, our HBCUs come first. Not too many people in my family (especially AA women) checking for MS State and USM scores in MS.

Believe it or not, African Americans enjoy BCF so we have a niche audience. Even if its for the bands and the outfits....LOL
No one cares about the 1-AA playoffs because they have no niche audience. I am willing to bet you that MOST of the kids at Jacksonville State and Samford, etc... have family ties to Auburn, Alabama, etc... That comes first to them. To most African Americans, our HBCUs come first. Not too many people in my family (especially AA women) checking for MS State and USM scores in MS.
TP, Our HBCU niche is unbelievable... wow, Imagine if we really start to tap into it? I hope I see the day. We have an awesome brand, but not so awesome ability to market our brand.

Actually I believe that it can. The issue is and always has been, how much does the NCAA really wants to invest in FCS playoffs.

We fans from the MEAC are devastated. When we (five fans) tell the rest of the Alums about the concept of this game they feel the same way we feel. It's a step backwards people. You guys can't see it because you are trying to mask your shame. You are delusional. You're are trying to pretend this is somehow more noble. It's like the idiots who said...."We don't have Jim Crowe in this town...we go to our own stores". LOL
Folks who don't even know they're being shut out...folks who still think we are Colored. That we must submit and agree we are inferior and quit trying. Be content with being.....Colored and second rate. WTF is a Black Natl Championship in the 21st century? Its called a recruiting nightmare. This is why the MEAC is now better than the SWAC. You can't get the good players anymore. Now...it is going to hit us. We will suffer talent wise. Kids aren't going to come to our schools if we admit to being second rate embarrassed group of colored people. This is embarrassing. I can see how Presidents would support this because they are suppose to be anti athletics anyway. But you so called sports fans? You're fake!! You're selfish idiots!!! Crabs in a pot. There is no way you should force our champion to be there. I can't believe the MEAC agreed to this. I'm ashamed of BCF. Really it's second rate.

We fans from the MEAC are devastated. When we (five fans) tell the rest of the Alums about the concept of this game they feel the same way we feel. It's a step backwards people. You guys can't see it because you are trying to mask your shame. You are delusional. You're are trying to pretend this is somehow more noble. It's like the idiots who said...."We don't have Jim Crowe in this town...we go to our own stores". LOL
Folks who don't even know they're being shut out...folks who still think we are Colored. That we must submit and agree we are inferior and quit trying. Be content with being.....Colored and second rate. WTF is a Black Natl Championship in the 21st century? Its called a recruiting nightmare. This is why the MEAC is now better than the SWAC. You can't get the good players anymore. Now...it is going to hit us. We will suffer talent wise. Kids aren't going to come to our schools if we admit to being second rate embarrassed group of colored people. This is embarrassing. I can see how Presidents would support this because they are suppose to be anti athletics anyway. But you so called sports fans? You're fake!! You're selfish idiots!!! Crabs in a pot. There is no way you should force our champion to be there. I can't believe the MEAC agreed to this. I'm ashamed of BCF. Really it's second rate.

If you feel that way, what the fuk is a HBCU in the 21st century? You want to talk about second rate.. ask your alums who WILL be at the Celebration Bowl if Howard ever makes it, if they ever been to or care to go to a playoff game. Howard football has not been relevant in 20 years so why are you devastated?

...and what exactly are we being shut out of? LOL To be an educamacated brother, you sure sound dumb. LOL

We are not being shut out. We are just choosing to do something better. We are doing what those who go to the playoffs can ONLY dream of doing. If we WANT to go back to the playoffs, we can cancel the SCG where we play in front of 40K live fans and many more at home..... and move the Bayou Classic.. the ONLY 1-AA nationally televised games to be in the playoffs... LOL (that even sounds dumb...lol)

Back