Celebration Bowl Payout Scheme

I've heard from a good source that each conference champion will indeed be required to sale 200k worth of tickets. That equates to around 6-7k tickets. That should not be a hard thing to do, assuming the team's fans will travel, and also, Atlanta is home to many SWAC and MEAC graduates. The key will be getting the word out and getting them to purchase tickets from the school and not from Ticketmaster, etc. The SWAC has NOT yet decided how it will split the remaining 800k. The AD's and presidents still have to make their suggestions and get this resolved. One request is that the SWAC champion will get at least 600k from that pool, with the remaining 200k split amongst 9 members and the SWAC office. That would allow for the SWAC rep to possibly net 500-700k. All players will likely travel for this game as a reward for a great season. Teams will be required to stay 4 nights in a hotel to be determined by the Bowl. Could easily cost 50k in hotel expenses alone. Obviously, some schools are close enough to travel by bus but others will have flight expenses.
I was told that ESPN WILL indeed cover band expenses. However, that amount will not likely cover expenses for entire band. It will be an amount likely to cover 150-200 band members. All others will be on the university's dime.
I hope the administrators see the common sense in making sure that the conference rep be allowed the opportunity to pocket at least 500k IF the ticket allotment is sold.

Hello to the group. My first post here. I've followed the posts and the site for years. Looking forward to a great experience.
#GoHornets

You said it better than I. This is similar to what the MEAC is debating. Now on our end, things are quite fluid and some big news can be announced by June 1.

I've heard from a good source that each conference champion will indeed be required to sale 200k worth of tickets. That equates to around 6-7k tickets. That should not be a hard thing to do, assuming the team's fans will travel, and also, Atlanta is home to many SWAC and MEAC graduates. The key will be getting the word out and getting them to purchase tickets from the school and not from Ticketmaster, etc. The SWAC has NOT yet decided how it will split the remaining 800k. The AD's and presidents still have to make their suggestions and get this resolved. One request is that the SWAC champion will get at least 600k from that pool, with the remaining 200k split amongst 9 members and the SWAC office. That would allow for the SWAC rep to possibly net 500-700k. All players will likely travel for this game as a reward for a great season. Teams will be required to stay 4 nights in a hotel to be determined by the Bowl. Could easily cost 50k in hotel expenses alone. Obviously, some schools are close enough to travel by bus but others will have flight expenses.
I was told that ESPN WILL indeed cover band expenses. However, that amount will not likely cover expenses for entire band. It will be an amount likely to cover 150-200 band members. All others will be on the university's dime.
I hope the administrators see the common sense in making sure that the conference rep be allowed the opportunity to pocket at least 500k IF the ticket allotment is sold.

Hello to the group. My first post here. I've followed the posts and the site for years. Looking forward to a great experience.
#GoHornets

That's gonna be the big issue right there. For the inaugural CB, I'm sure the representatives for each conference will want their bands at full strength for the halftime show. I would hope the schools would exercise some restraint in not trying to send 300 people or more unless the school is going to pay for them

If you'd take a look at this website, this will pretty much tell you (and others) what all of this is about. For ESPN it is all about content. Many of you may have seen some of these (football and basketball) games on TV and probably didn't realize these events were created by ESPN. ESPN is first and foremost in the TV business. And the sporting events mentioned on that website are essentially made for TV events.

Below is a clip from ESPN's John Skipper where he is talking about content that was required viewing in my Sports as a Business Media Class - In the 34 minute clip, Skipper talked about creating an ESPN African-American (Broadcast, Print and Digital)

"These are big moves for the most powerful programmer in pay TV. They are also tricky, because ESPN still plans on making almost all of its money from the pay-TV system — so it wants to try adding digital revenue without upsetting the lucrative business it already has."

Source: http://recode.net/2014/09/12/espns-...t-losing-pay-tv-the-full-codemedia-interview/

That's gonna be the big issue right there. For the inaugural CB, I'm sure the representatives for each conference will want their bands at full strength for the halftime show. I would hope the schools would exercise some restraint in not trying to send 300 people or more unless the school is going to pay for them

It would be unfair to those students that practiced and played all year just to remain home from the Celebration Bowl. I'd imagine this event would be almost as big, if not just as big as Honda.

Below is a clip from ESPN's John Skipper where he is talking about content that was required viewing in my Sports as a Business Media Class - In the 34 minute clip, Skipper talked about creating an ESPN African-American (Broadcast, Print and Digital)

"These are big moves for the most powerful programmer in pay TV. They are also tricky, because ESPN still plans on making almost all of its money from the pay-TV system — so it wants to try adding digital revenue without upsetting the lucrative business it already has."

Source: http://recode.net/2014/09/12/espns-...t-losing-pay-tv-the-full-codemedia-interview/

Exactly! And one way to do that without messing with your primary method of making money is to create content that caters to a niche audience.

In regards to the remaining money:

The SWAC should create a simple stipulation to ensure this Bowl doesn't have a "One-Sided" Record.

SWAC Champion Wins Celebration Bowl: They get to keep 100% of the remaining funds.

SWAC Champion Loses Celebration Bowl: It gets 25% of the remaining funds with the other 75% going to other conference members.

This is incentive to not only be SWAC Champion but win the damn game. Also, it should encourage others to step their game up.

It would be unfair to those students that practiced and played all year just to remain home from the Celebration Bowl. I'd imagine this event would be almost as big, if not just as big as Honda.
I agree. The extra funds required to send the FULL band would be well worth the cost. It's a bus trip for pretty much all bands anyway, plus 2 hotel nights.

The SWAC should create a simple stipulation to ensure this Bowl doesn't have a "One-Sided" Record.

SWAC Champion Wins Celebration Bowl: They get to keep 100% of the remaining funds.

SWAC Champion Loses Celebration Bowl: It gets 25% of the remaining funds with the other 75% going to other conference members.

This is incentive to not only be SWAC Champion but win the damn game. Also, it should encourage others to step their game up.

What conference would approve a foolish idea that you just proposed?

Fair is Fair. The Champion goes and wins, the SWAC should give them 100% of the remaining funds. That creates incentive and motivation. You all have seen what happens when the a SWAC stays in one place. We are not the SEC. We can't split funds in the SWAC because it creates complacency. Why should I even try to be SWAC Champion if I know this Celebration Bowl extra check will always be there for me? The conference overall needs to be competitive.

If playing in the game is not incentive enough for the kids and coaches, then adding more money to the pot is not gonna help. This is a championship game. That's the incentive. The payout has to award the champion of the conference, not the winner of the bowl game. The conference and other members will ALWAYS share a piece of the pot, and as well they should. Hence, the 100% payout will and should never be part of the discussion.

If playing in the game is not incentive enough for the kids and coaches, then adding more money to the pot is not gonna help. This is a championship game. That's the incentive. The payout has to award the champion of the conference, not the winner of the bowl game. The conference and other members will ALWAYS share a piece of the pot, and as well they should. Hence, the 100% payout will and should never be part of the discussion.

Have you been paying attention to SWAC ADs lately?

The players aren't gonna get any of that money in their pockets, so this whole winning the CB get 100 percent of a payout argument is meaningless.

I last played Playstation on September 27, 2014 and December 6, 2014. I have the game statistics if you want proof.

What type of social events would you recommend before, during, and after the CB to help increase interest?

I sorta agree with Braveheart.. LOL Not to give the winner the whole pot but let's say that the conference rep gets $200K. Of the remaining $800K, the conference and the other 9 teams will divide it 10 ways.. or 80K each. But if the conference rep wins the game, I see no reason why they can't get an incentive. .... so that $800K could instead be split 11 ways to include the conference rep IF they win the game. In that scenerio, every school plus the conference rep will get about $72K each out of the remaining $800K.

Bruh, if ESPN is gonna pay for 150-200 piece band, then that is most of the expense right there. If you want to carry another bus and put another 50 kids in the rooms paid for by ESPN... that's what they will do. We black bruh.. we will find a way.. 3-4 people in a room is just a party... LOL

Hey Kaver, Welcome to the board.... how does it feel to spend all of that money on Brian Jenkins only to learn he is an abusive cheater who probably will be no better than 3rd or 4th in the EAST which means ASU will never see the SCG or Celebration Bowl?

And don't say the strip clubs

Now Blue, you should have known that was a loaded question.

1253527972_money.gif

So since I was the person that started that fire on the other side, let me attempt to clear it up.

Yes, information was given out during an Alumni meeting in Greensboro, NC. In this Meeting, it was said by A&T Officials that the MEAC champ was getting $200,000 in tickets. It was also mentioned that the remaining $800,000 would be split either 70/30 or 80/20 in favor of the participating team and ESPN will pay for the school's band and cheerleaders travel and boarding in Atlanta (two nights & food).

In essence, if everything goes perfect (80/20 split and the school sells the full allotment of tickets), the school can bring in up to $840,000 in gross revenue. That's in the ball park north of 10% of some of the budgets in the MEAC.

Honestly, this game benefits those schools that have alumni within a 2 to 3 hour travel time (car or plane) to Atlanta. MEAC north teams would have expenses from keeping the dorms open a week during winter break to the extensive travel of their travel party, and would have trouble unloading $200K worth of tickets in a week's time.

It was also mentioned, especially about the last part, that aside from the $200,000 in tickets, nothing else was agreed upon and no contract was given to the schools nor was signed by any of the Co-CEO's.

IMHO, if A&T can get $640,000 & $200,000 in tickets, that would be a pretty decent amount of change for giving up the AQ. It emotionally stings but financially, it makes plenty of sense.

#GoHornets

Bruh, if ESPN is gonna pay for 150-200 piece band, then that is most of the expense right there. If you want to carry another bus and put another 50 kids in the rooms paid for by ESPN... that's what they will do. We black bruh.. we will find a way.. 3-4 people in a room is just a party... LOL

Shit we already do that....Campus queens, SGA, self entitled student leaders who are cool with administrators, etc....LOL

Marketing is going be crucial for this game since it will be in its "reincarnation stage" (Let's Be Real: this game is the Heritage Bowl lowkey).

The main obstacle however from a marketing standpoint is that when you take out SU vs. FAMU, JSU vs. FAMU, Howard, Alcorn vs. Howard, etc., There really is not much recent history of SWAC-MEAC Games outside the SWAC-MEAC Challenge. Grambling is GRAMBLING its name alone transcends all. We have to the market the economic impact the game would bring to ATL.

BTW, Alcorn's record against Howard doesn't look too good to brag on. I think we are on a three-game losing streak to them. McNair went 1-2 against them and I know Donald Carrie and crew lost the last game played.

Most SWAC bands are 220 at most. By the end of the year I'd be surprised if there were 160 people on the field. Bands start big and get small. 4 to a room a bus trip and Golden Corral is the standard method of operation.

Back