Cable Cord Cutters - Finally ESPN and other sports offered w/ SLING TV

Just to share, I heard G-Box is better than the Roku 3 player. This is what it looks like: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eativeASIN=B00GR30TAA&linkCode=as2&tag=mkv-20

81-XPIx1vRL._SL1500_.jpg

Damn, I just found this today and I am highly thinking about getting rid of cable before my possible move to Houston. Comcast in Atlanta is a damn joke.

For all the Roku people, what type of difference did you see in your monthly TV expenses?

Damn, I just found this today and I am highly thinking about getting rid of cable before my possible move to Houston. Comcast in Atlanta is a damn joke.

For all the Roku people, what type of difference did you see in your monthly TV expenses?

I have yet to completely break away from cable due to the fact that there aren't enough cable network packages. I believe the only network cable package that is offered right now is SlingTV, which is only $20 per month. Below is a list of channels that are broadcasted on Roku's SlingTV, which is like 25 channels:

https://www.sling.com/programming

IMO, the more popular channels that are provided by SlingTV are CNN, TNT, TBS, and the 5 ESPN channels. I guess whenever more network packages are added to the list of Roku apps, I probably will completely cut the cable. Also, Roku have tons of private channels that are fun and free to watch, which some people would say is enough to cut the cable. Here a list of those private channels:

http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2013/03/roku-private-channels-2013-roku-channel.html

I officially cut the cord on Thursday. My Roku Box should arrive this week. I also bought a mohu leaf digital antenna

I have a Roku 3, but I'm thinking about buying a G-Box to see if it is better.

I just bought this last week and love it. I can't stay away from tv now. There is application called XMBC and now Kodi that let's you stream live tv.

61lOd2EC%2BYL._SY300_.jpg

I have Apple tv but the streams show like a couple at times...is roku comparable to cable tv signal or will buffer

The android box looks to be for hardcore as I went to reviews and nothing about tv pops up

Last edited:
Mine has buffered twice since I had it. The first few seconds of my signal on my roku are blurry but clears up fast after that.

I watched PBS's "Last Days of Vietnam" last night on Roku. Very good documentary on how inept the administration was when Saigon was invaded by the Communist Vietnam Army or Vietcong on April 30th, 1975. I can still remember as a young boy watching the news with my daddy and seeing sailors dumping perfectly good helicopters overboard ships because the flight decks on ships had gotten too crowded with Vietnamese helicopters.

I officially cut the cord on Thursday. My Roku Box should arrive this week. I also bought a mohu leaf digital antenna

I expect to do the same as soon as I move. I'm tired of Comcast and their bull. I may have to use them for internet though.

My biggest hold up has been losing the NHL and the NFL. And then of course, my wife is not fully on board yet as she thinks she is going to miss her shows like Scandal and HGTV.

Getting live NHL and NFL games is hard but possible. Now Scandal, you can get that show easily as long as you don’t need it to be live. But if you don’t mind jumping through a few hoops you can get Scandal live also. I went almost four years without cable. I just got it back because of my wife. Cable is still the most convenient way to watch TV. When I had the internet only, every time my wife wanted to watch something, I always had to find it for her. I got tired and got cable back.

An antenna, netflix and sling tv suffice my needs.

When they made that switch to digital, for some reason it became harder to get over the air. Where I use to live, about 30 miles from the nearest TV station, I could not use just any antenna. But during the analog pre-cable days, we could get the 3 major networks at that time with just a coat hanger. :)

My biggest hold up has been losing the NHL and the NFL. And then of course, my wife is not fully on board yet as she thinks she is going to miss her shows like Scandal and HGTV.

This is my problem right now

3 weeks in... My wife wants to go back to cable, I haven't missed it one bit. I got a feeling I may lose this battle though :lol:

3 weeks in... My wife wants to go back to cable, I haven't missed it one bit. I got a feeling I may lose this battle though :lol:

She probably wants TVOne. The network channel owned by Oprah. That's probably the only network channel without a streaming link or its streaming links are hard to find. No streaming application has TVOne as part of its package deal.

Last edited:
I've might have already stated this, but the reason why you get a better picture with a HD antenna then cable because most over the air signals are broadcast at 1080p or higher, whereas most cable companies broadcast at something less than 1080p, such as 720p to save on bandwidth. No need to get a 4k T.V. if a person is still using cable. The only way they would be able to watch something in 4K is through a 4k blu-ray player. Noticed the 4k T.V.'s in Best Buy are connected to a 4k blu-ray player. A lot Cable companies definitely need to update their systems, which they haven't done in a while.

Last edited:
She probably wants TVOne. The network channel own by Oprah. That's probably the only network channel without a streaming link or its streaming links are hard to find. No streaming application has TVOne as part of its package deal.
That and ID.....lol.

Back