Cable Cord Cutters - Finally ESPN and other sports offered w/ SLING TV

TSUGIRL07

I moved last weekend and finally decided to cut ties with Direct TV. I was tired of paying $150+ a month for all those movie channels and others when I really only watched CNN, ESPN, HGTV, AMC, and regional sports channels. Glad I cut at the right time because all the channels that I watch are now offered through the new streaming service SLING TV (through Dish Network). It is $20 a month for a lot of good channels, plus you can get a $5 add on that includes SEC Network, ESPN U, and a lot of regional sports channels. Thought I would share in case anyone else was wanting to give cord cutting a try. I waited a longtime to do it and now actually won't miss it at all. Check it out: https://www.sling.com/

Only real drawback is that it doesn't work with Chromecast, so if that is your streaming device you will have to invest in ROKU or AMAZON devices.

Not I only did I cut the cable cord, I got rid of my telephone land line as well. I used VoIP with Magic Jack and was able to port over my existing telephone number.

Pop you are silly lol

Bane I had a magic jack years ago right out of college, but never used it. I actually found the hookup for my laptop when I was packng a few weeks ago. I still don't have a land line though. My cell phone has been sufficient and whenever I need to setup additional numbers, I just use Google Voice.

I have two Magic Jacks and I was able to put them in my utility closet where my main phone line comes in and re-activate all my wall jacks with both Magic Jacks. Two phone lines are connect to one Magic and the others are connected to the other Magic Jack, which is used as my fax.

I am in the process of trying to buy a house. I paid Comcast 2k last year. I am done with them as soon as I close. They will not be moving with me from my apartment.

Not I only did I cut the cable cord, I got rid of my telephone land line as well. I used VoIP with Magic Jack and was able to port over my existing telephone number.

I got rid of my landline many years ago and went with Vonage. Good to get all my voicemails in a email and can listen and read them. Also can use my cellphone as a extension of my house phone when I want to. All my jacks in the house are connected to a phone modem so I can use any phone jack in the house just like I did when I had a landline. Got to keep my same phone number and pay considerably less money per month.

I got rid of my landline many years ago and went with Vonage. Good to get all my voicemails in a email and can listen and read them. Also can use my cellphone as a extension of my house phone when I want to. All my jacks in the house are connected to a phone modem so I can use any phone jack in the house just like I did when I had a landline. Got to keep my same phone number and pay considerably less money per month.

You can do the same thing with Magic Jack and if you get the 5-year plan at $179, it comes out to be $3 per month and free long distance to anywhere in the United States and Canada. They do have other reduce rate plans for other countries.

You can do the same thing with Magic Jack and if you get the 5-year plan at $179, it comes out to be $3 per month and free long distance to anywhere in the United States and Canada. They do have other reduce rate plans for other countries.

Doesn't that have to be connected to a computer's USB port?

The newer models, the MagicJackGO and the MagicJackPLUS can be directly connected to either your computer or router. In order to make a direct connection from my router to my utility closet where all my phone lines are located, I use a powerline ethernet adapter to make that connection. I have both the PLUS and the GO, which is the reason why I have two phone lines.

http://www.magicjack.com/magicJackGO.html

http://www.magicjack.com/magicJackPLUS.html

I have Magicjackplus and no computer required and I had my friend help me reverse the jumper in my phone junction box so it rings on all jacks, the new Magicjack also lets you send and receive faxes if you use a multifunction device at home

I have Magicjackplus and no computer required and I had my friend help me reverse the jumper in my phone junction box so it rings on all jacks, the new Magicjack also lets you send and receive faxes if you use a multifunction device at home

Yeah, Vonage gave me instructions on how to do that. I have their modem plugged into a wall jack and phones plugged up all over the rest of the house so it rings everywhere there is a phone plugged in. I can called other countries thru my service like it's a local call.

Is there any PVR/DVR and/or On Demand functionality with SlingTV?

TopDog supposedly it records certain shows and keeps them for three days, but I have not tried to use that function yet. I know for sure you can rewind or restart certain shows on HGTV or the Travel Channel, but that is not available with any of the sports related channels. The current On Demand content is ppv type movies, however, epix will be added soon with its on demand library. I also read a review that Sling will be adding on demand content to the other channels as well. They offer a free seven day trial. I say get it and see if it will work for you. Can't hurt. I think my husband and I are going to keep it. There are obvious drawbacks going from Direct TV to basically 14 channels, but since I wasn't watching half those premium channels I was paying for anyway, I'll take the drop in price over my DVR and HBO lol

There's no need for anyone with the internet to have a landline phone line. It's a waste of money. And once more network television companies start putting together much cheaper packages like SlingTV did, more people will be cutting the cable. There needs to be more internet service providers (ISP) so that the cost of high speed internet doesn't go up. And now that the internet is playing a bigger role in people lives and has gotten closer to being a basic essential service, the government is in the process of regulating ISP's like other utilities companies, such as gas, water, and power companies. The country's internet system would soon have built-in redundancy in order to maintain service to customers in case a part of it goes down, basically an internet grid like the country's power grid.

Last edited:
TopDog supposedly it records certain shows and keeps them for three days, but I have not tried to use that function yet. I know for sure you can rewind or restart certain shows on HGTV or the Travel Channel, but that is not available with any of the sports related channels. The current On Demand content is ppv type movies, however, epix will be added soon with its on demand library. I also read a review that Sling will be adding on demand content to the other channels as well. They offer a free seven day trial. I say get it and see if it will work for you. Can't hurt. I think my husband and I are going to keep it. There are obvious drawbacks going from Direct TV to basically 14 channels, but since I wasn't watching half those premium channels I was paying for anyway, I'll take the drop in price over my DVR and HBO lol

We soon might see a merger of something on the lines of the TiVo DVR and the Roku Box. What I really like about my Roku3 Box, I can stream all my movies straight off my external hard drive, including 1080p movies without any pauses and I have approximately 1,000 movies stored on my external hard drive. The only way I can stream 1080p movies on my Blu-Ray player without any pauses is by USB memory stick, which takes time to download to the stick. Now I can go straight to my movies on my external hard drive through my Roku 3 Box. My BluRay Player sees my external hard drive too, but doesn't stream as fast.

Last edited:
Stopped getting cable 2 years ago when I found out how to stream any sporting event I want. Still can watch all the TV shows I chose to watch online. I still have them for internet because to me it is a necessity.

There are obvious drawbacks going from Direct TV to basically 14 channels, but since I wasn't watching half those premium channels I was paying for anyway, I'll take the drop in price over my DVR and HBO lol

@TSUGIRL07 You should consider purchasing a HD antenna in addition to Sling. All major tv networks broadcast digital over the air for free. I pick up about 50 channels total. Heck I'm getting a better picture then when I had cable with HD box.

Stopped getting cable 2 years ago when I found out how to stream any sporting event I want. Still can watch all the TV shows I chose to watch online. I still have them for internet because to me it is a necessity.

@GoodFella If you don't mind please expound on how you do this? I usually have no luck when searching for live sporting events and TV shows.

Question for you all. I am about to nix my personal smart phone and use the one my job provides. It comes with an unlimited data plan, but must pay for all calls. It also comes with mobile hot spot. Will it be feasible to use my mobile phone (mobile hot spot) as my home Wi-Fi to stream all internet and movies? I could probably connect my wireless router to it and then connect all devices to the router.

Question for you all. I am about to nix my personal smart phone and use the one my job provides. It comes with an unlimited data plan, but must pay for all calls. It also comes with mobile hot spot. Will it be feasible to use my mobile phone (mobile hot spot) as my home Wi-Fi to stream all internet and movies? I could probably connect my wireless router to it and then connect all devices to the router.

Not sure how it would work when you try to stream something from your home to wherever you are located away from home, unless you have two mobile phones, one to stay at home as your primary home internet connection and the other one to take with you. I have an app (HipClient) on my smart phone where I can stream movies from my external hard drive at home to anywhere I can get a cell/internet signal to my phone, which is why I kept the unlimited data plan that is no longer offered by my carrier on my smart phone.

How current are these movies. Do you mind sharing?

Some are very current, like 2014 and 2015. Most of the times I can get good quality movies (1080P) once they hit the store's shelves. PM me and I'll send you a list of my movies. If you are planning on collecting movies, I suggest you invest in an 4 TB and above external hard drive with ethernet connection. You would need the large memory space to save movies or else they would eat up the memory on your computer hard drive. The ethernet allows you to connect your external hard drive to your router so that you can stream movies to all your devices straight from your external hard drive. My Roku 3 box is the best device that streams those movies straight to my TV.

Seagate makes one of the best devices to store and stream media files.

http://www.seagate.com/products/network-attached-storage/home-network/personal-cloud/

Last edited:
Back